PDA

View Full Version : Best arena in the NBA?

nsrammstein
08-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Which is the best arena in the NBA and why?

Things that should be considered:
Fan interaction
Loudness
Lightning
Floor
Atmosphere

Discuss :toast

baseline bum
08-30-2008, 12:08 AM
Detroit. Great fan to yuppie ratio.

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Cavs seem to have a nice stadium.

tlongII
08-30-2008, 12:12 AM
The Rose Garden without a doubt. Staples Center sucks.

baseline bum
08-30-2008, 12:14 AM
For the building itself though, Staples is pretty spectacular and is my choice. Awesome views (as long as you're not in the upper deck), great main bar, full bar outside of every 4th or 5th section, tons of food options, great lighting, good beer, and an all-around beautiful building.

An added bonus after the game is being able to walk a couple of blocks over to Broadway for the taco stands, and the bacon-wrapped hotdogs with grilled onions the vendors sell outside of Staples are pretty badass too.

Sense
08-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Golden State has recently taken the cake...

they're definitely the loudest...

one of those places where I'm scared to see the Spurs play, because the noise gets to them

SAtown
08-30-2008, 12:17 AM
I gotta give it to Dallas. They're stadium looks amazing from I35, and it's pretty badass inside too (especially a Spurs - Mavs game). I've been to a couple spurs-mavs, and a kings-mavs playoffs game, all of them great experiences.

nsrammstein
08-30-2008, 12:39 AM
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9itLtcsK7A

The american airlines center is badass

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 12:40 AM
For the building itself though, Staples is pretty spectacular and is my choice. Awesome views (as long as you're not in the upper deck), great main bar, full bar outside of every 4th or 5th section, tons of food options, great lighting, good beer, and an all-around beautiful building.

An added bonus after the game is being able to walk a couple of blocks over to Broadway for the taco stands, and the bacon-wrapped hotdogs with grilled onions the vendors sell outside of Staples are pretty badass too.

Figueroa to broaway is a log ass walk. plus all the 18's are on broadway, i almost got jumped right there.

dallaskd
08-30-2008, 12:41 AM
I like the AAC. would've said Arco a few years back.

baseline bum
08-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Figueroa to broaway is a log ass walk. plus all the 18's are on broadway, i almost got jumped right there.

I guess it's one of the pluses of being a whiteboy. Nobody ever comes up to me and asks where I'm from.

It never seemed like that long of a walk when I did it before, but looking on a map it does look a bit more than I was making it out to be. I always went that way anyways to catch the 2 back to Westwood.

JamStone
08-30-2008, 12:47 AM

Fan interaction
Loudness
Lightning
Floor
Atmosphere

How many arenas can produce lightning? That's dangerous.

Over the last few years, Golden State has probably been one of the best atmospheres for any arena.

The old Rose Garden was always good because the crowd seemed so close to the action.

I would probably say Chicago's United Center is up there because even though I don't like the Bulls or Bulls fans, they are some really great fans that always seem to support the Bulls. Probably Jordan's legacy makes them so good. Wonder if it will wear out one of these years.

Utah is supposed to be crazy too.

Those are the couple that come to mind.

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 12:51 AM
I guess it's one of the pluses of being a whiteboy. Nobody ever comes up to me and asks where I'm from.

It never seemed like that long of a walk when I did it before, but looking on a map it does look a bit more than I was making it out to be. I always went that way anyways to catch the 2 back to Westwood.

I use to go to school there, you ever see that place called "Job Corps" on 12th and Broadway? that was the tightest school ever:king but yeah, i love that area, i can go shopping in the alleys, i heard they are even builing a mall close to Figueroa

baseline bum
08-30-2008, 12:53 AM
The old Rose Garden was always good because the crowd seemed so close to the action.

Do you mean Memorial Stadium (where they played from the 70s-90s)? That looked like an amazing atmosphere.

Utah is supposed to be crazy too.

LOL, I have a friend who was having shit thrown at him by the Jazz fans there at the WCF in 07. Their fans are stupid as hell, but I'll give them credit for getting off their asses and cheering unlike the lame ass fans in AT&T Center.

bigdog
08-30-2008, 01:43 AM
I'd love to say the AT&T Center, but I can't, even though they have one of the best sound systems of all the NBA arenas(even though you can never hear it because the wusses don't turn it up).

I've never been to it, but Charlotte's arena(Time Warner Cable Arena) looks really nice, and if they can win some games and get the fans into it, it will be one of the top in the league.

Other than that, I'd have to say Staples, it looks nice, great atmosphere, but I hate the way they redid the lighting to make it seem like an MSG-type setting(old school, lights focused on the court).

American Airlines in Dallas is also pretty sweet, as well as Toyota Center in Houston.

endrity
08-30-2008, 05:21 AM
In terms of atmosphere nothing tops what GS did during their 07 playoffs run. That was crazy, it seemed like you were in a European soccer stadium, not in the NBA where everything is corporate run.

In terms of the building itself and facilities, I keep hearing from everyone that Staples is great and also the AAC looks pretty damn good.

rj215
08-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Hate to say it but the Mavs stadium looks amazing...

Rip-Hamilton32
08-30-2008, 09:45 AM
the palace

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-30-2008, 09:50 AM
AT&T Center

Obstructed_View
08-30-2008, 09:58 AM
The only new ones I've been to are the AA and the Toyota center. They are both nice, but the AA is better. Toyota has better food, though. The Mavs fans are louder, but the team has been better lately so that has something to do with it. The Summit when the Rockets locked up the WCF was the loudest place I've ever been that didn't have airplanes or dragsters in it.

Gino
08-30-2008, 06:09 PM
I would say Staples because of the environment. Movie stars, pretty ladies, location, the after parties, and oh, a great team:toast I remember going to see the Lakers play on Christmas day and I had Tia Carrere sitting next to me on my left. Jami Foxx and the big dude from The Green Mile sitting to my right. Jennifer Love Hewitt running around taking pics with everyone that had a camera, and Laker girls blowing kisses while dressed in Santas helpers outfits. Not to mention this dunk by Kobe. I was sitting in the second row down at that end of the court:toast
cWt-1gUDfac

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Staples center is one of the worst. Most the fans don't show up until the second quarter and are usually more interested in texting their buddies and planning where they're going to go after the game.

As far as loudest fans....probably Energy Solutions Arena (Utah) or GS (I don't remember their stadium).

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 06:12 PM
You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Staples center is one of the worst. Most the fans don't show up until the second quarter and are usually more interested in texting their buddies and planning where they're going to go after the game.

As far as loudest fans....probably Energy Solutions Arena (Utah) or GS (I don't remember their stadium).

Oracle.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Lightning
I don't know about the other arenas but the AT&T Center doesn't have lightning.

Red Hawk #21
08-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Oracle is freakin excellent imo, and the Rose Garden is very good imo.

LakeShow
08-30-2008, 10:57 PM

I was raised in South Central LA. I grew up with the Bloods and Crips and I have never had anyone approach me and ask me where I'm from in a threatening manner. It's all about how you carry yourself, not race. Ironmexican must be gang banging! :lol J/K

LakeShow
08-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Can't give an unbiased opinion on this one seeing that I have never been to an Arena outside of California. I will just say that Staples Center is a very nice place.

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 11:02 PM
I was raised in South Central LA. I grew up with the Bloods and Crips and I have never had anyone approach me and ask me where I'm from in a threatening manner. It's all about how you carry yourself, not race. Ironmexican must be gang banging! :lol J/K

I kinda am. i miostly did it for the girls though, but i am not even out there no more. and what part you grew up in?

LakeShow
08-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I kinda am. i miostly did it for the girls though, but i am not even out there no more. and what part you grew up in?

Yeah, those are the only people that bangers ask what set you're from.

74th and Broadway and Gardena was my home base but lived in several cities in LA county.

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 11:11 PM
74th and broadway. right by the 74's H's and Swans? and I live right next to Gardena. you heard of Helen Keller park?

LakeShow
08-30-2008, 11:16 PM
74th and broadway. right by the 74's H's and Swans? and I live right next to Gardena. you heard of Helen Keller park?

Yeah, I went to school with those clowns. Bethune jr. High.

I know where Helen Keller is and I help put it on the map for B-Ball players. :toast I Use to go there every Sunday and ball.

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 11:20 PM
I live down ths street from Hellen Keller:toast
That liquor store in front next to the car wash is so bootleg.:lol
I went to Washington high before dropping out

baseline bum
08-30-2008, 11:28 PM

That's what my friend from Watts told me. He's a pretty big dude who served in Iraq, so maybe that had something to do with it, but a couple of years ago he had a car pull up to him and ask him where he's from. He said he didn't bang, and they started shooting at him. I told him I've never had any problems around the Shaw or in East LA, and he said it was because I was white. Then again, Crenshaw and East LA are Disneyland compared to Watts.

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 11:31 PM
lol, idk how people think Crenshaw is ghetto. they have their own damn mall.

but east LA is pretty bad, my homei passed away there a couple months ago leaving school

LakeShow
08-30-2008, 11:34 PM
I live down ths street from Hellen Keller:toast
That liquor store in front next to the car wash is so bootleg.:lol
I went to Washington high before dropping out

Cool! I didn't go to Washington but a lot of my friends did. I went to Henry Clay as well.

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 11:40 PM
oh snap! i went to clay! what year you graduate?

LakeShow
08-30-2008, 11:40 PM
That's what my friend from Watts told me. He's a pretty big dude who served in Iraq, so maybe that had something to do with it, but a couple of years ago he had a car pull up to him and ask him where he's from. He said he didn't bang, and they started shooting at him. I told him I've never had any problems around the Shaw or in East LA, and he said it was because I was white. Then again, Crenshaw and East LA are Disneyland compared to Watts.

You can get shot at just by wearing the wrong colors. He probably had something red on in a blue neighbor hood or vice versa.

Edit: They had to feel threatened by him to go at him like that.

LakeShow
08-30-2008, 11:45 PM
oh snap! i went to clay! what year you graduate?

I am an old man, I graduated way before you attended Henry Clay.

IronMexican
08-30-2008, 11:48 PM
lol, if you say so. my dad and uncles went to clay too.

baseline bum
08-31-2008, 12:24 AM
You can get shot at just by wearing the wrong colors. He probably had something red on in a blue neighbor hood or vice versa.

Edit: They had to feel threatened by him to go at him like that.

It was in his own neighborhood and he told me he wasn't wearing colors. Said it was a bunch of Mexican dudes from Compton (he's black).

LakeShow
08-31-2008, 02:01 AM
It was in his own neighborhood and he told me he wasn't wearing colors. Said it was a bunch of Mexican dudes from Compton (he's black).

Sounds like wrong place wrong time. His neighborhood must have been having a beef with their neighborhood.

jacobdrj
08-31-2008, 10:24 AM
The Palace from the 2002 and 2003 playoff runs were unbelievable. I am sure it is much like the GSW 07 run was. It had that rare combination of the team being good and no corporate folks catching whiff yet of it... By 2004, the atmosphere had significantly declined. The building itself has no bad seating, except right behind the basket, and the service is great. They are always adding new things, like underground 'super-suites' and new concessions construction. But I can't imagine the atmosphere is still the best, at least, not until the corporate guys leave, and the fans are free to cheer (standing up) in a game that seems hopeless...
It still seems like Arco and the former Delta Center are the best arenas consistently.
MSG certainly has zealous fans, as does the United Center. NJ and MIA have the worst arenas...

Sissiborgo
08-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Cavs..

Girasuck
08-31-2008, 02:09 PM

Fan interaction
Loudness
Lightning
Floor
Atmosphere

Well in my biased opinion the ESA takes 3 out of 5 in those categories.

Loudness...loudest arena in the NBA, and I've been to Arco for a Jazz/Kings playoff game. It was very loud but nothing tops the ESA. I would love to attend a game at Oracle just to make sure it's not louder than the ESA. Hard to tell from the TV but I doubt it would top the ESA. I've been to a few other places...Pepsi Center, US Airways Center, The Summit, and Philips Arena and none of them came close.

Atmosphere...nothing compares to attending a Jazz game, nothing. You're right on top of the court and it really is claustrophobic in the arena. The only complaint I have is the music that's played during warm-ups. It sucks big time.

Fan interaction...name one other arena where the fans have a say in how the game is called?

The other 2 categories we suck in. Our floor is butt ugly and our arena is way too bright. I hate our ugly green seats as well. When it was first built the Delta Center was the nicest arena in the league as far as looks and accommodations, but now we're somewhere in the middle of the pack. Another 10 years and it will be time to build another arena.

Alex's foreskin
06-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Staples

Caltex2
06-06-2015, 12:10 PM
I know that the worst in many ways is Toyota Center. One of the worst homecourt advantages in NBA history though otherwise a nice arena.