PDA

View Full Version : Top Paid College Football Coaches

johngateswhiteley
08-30-2008, 03:50 AM
saw this stat on ESPN and found the link. can someone tell me what the hell oklahoma, notre dame, and iowa are thinking. lets see, stoops almost gets a $3million raise...and for what?...sucking cock in bowl games? charlie weiss?...jesus don't get me started. and kirk ferentz...the most overpaid coach in college football 4 years running. ferentz is 34-38 in conference play at iowa. pretty sure those schools could pay me millions and i could make them unhappy.

1) Bob Stoops $6.5 million
2) Charlie Weiss $4.2 million
3) Pete Carroll $4.0 million
4) Les Miles $3.751 million
5) Nick Saban $3.75 million
6) Jim Tressel $3.5 million
7)Urban Meyer $3.4 million
8) Kirk Ferentz $3 million
9) Mack Brown $2.9 million
10) Bobby Petrino $2.85 million

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm (other rankings as well)

K-State Spur
08-31-2008, 09:48 AM
It's out control when you look at the amount of money getting thrown around for that aspect of institutions whose primary mission is based on academics.

samikeyp
08-31-2008, 09:57 AM
1) Bob Stoops $6.5 million
2) Charlie Weis $4.2 million
3) Pete Carroll $4.0 million
4) Les Miles $3.751 million
5) Nick Saban $3.75 million

"One of these things does not belong...."

:lmao

JamStone
08-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Bob Stoops being at the top isn't a huge shocker, but the amount is crazy. That's inexplicable.

Chucky Cheese Weiss is the prodigal son with the Superbowl rings. Apparently, Notre Dame doesn't mind fucking themselves over for an alumnus in the name of Touchdown Jesus.

Iowa paid up money as a preventative measure because a few years ago, there were a lot of schools going after Ferentz, and one major suitor was rumored to be Michigan. Iowa didn't want to lose him, much less to a Big Ten rival. Ferentz was overachieving with marginal Big Ten talent so everyone thought he was the next big thing in college football. Problem is he still wasn't that great of a recruiter, and it wasn't exactly easy selling Iowa in a conference with Michigan, OSU, Penn State and Wisconsin to the 4 and 5 star high school kids. I think Ferentz is still a pretty good coach. But, his name does look out of place being so high on that salary list.

johngateswhiteley
09-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Bob Stoops being at the top isn't a huge shocker, but the amount is crazy. That's inexplicable.

Chucky Cheese Weiss is the prodigal son with the Superbowl rings. Apparently, Notre Dame doesn't mind fucking themselves over for an alumnus in the name of Touchdown Jesus.

Iowa paid up money as a preventative measure because a few years ago, there were a lot of schools going after Ferentz, and one major suitor was rumored to be Michigan. Iowa didn't want to lose him, much less to a Big Ten rival. Ferentz was overachieving with marginal Big Ten talent so everyone thought he was the next big thing in college football. Problem is he still wasn't that great of a recruiter, and it wasn't exactly easy selling Iowa in a conference with Michigan, OSU, Penn State and Wisconsin to the 4 and 5 star high school kids. I think Ferentz is still a pretty good coach. But, his name does look out of place being so high on that salary list.

nothing i've seen from Ferentz warrants his salary...nothing. even when they won the big 10 and went to the Rose Bowl USC took a crap on their program. Oklahoma is a bunch of fucking retards...$6.5 million? $6.5 MILLION! ...craziness.

monosylab1k
09-01-2008, 01:03 PM
that money is crazy, but none of those contracts are as big a waste of money as what the Faithful AGs threw at Fran :lmao

K-State Spur
09-01-2008, 05:47 PM

Remember that the majority of those raises came in his early years, where OU kept bidding against themselves anytime a newspaper would even speculate that another college/NFL team would come after Stoops - and of course Bobby did absolutely nothing to squash those rumors until his bank account got a tip.

FromWayDowntown
09-01-2008, 07:59 PM
It's out control when you look at the amount of money getting thrown around for that aspect of institutions whose primary mission is based on academics.

Interesting to note that this observation has garnered no response.

johngateswhiteley
09-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Remember that the majority of those raises came in his early years, where OU kept bidding against themselves anytime a newspaper would even speculate that another college/NFL team would come after Stoops - and of course Bobby did absolutely nothing to squash those rumors until his bank account got a tip.

thats fine and all, but stoops made $3.8 million last year...i believe.

johngateswhiteley
09-01-2008, 08:06 PM

why? winning football programs bring more money to the institution than, well probably anything else. and more money to the school means more resources for higher learning.

that being said, it doesn't address that certain schools overpay like crazy.

FromWayDowntown
09-01-2008, 08:11 PM
why? winning football programs bring more money to the institution than, well probably anything else. and more money to the school means more resources for higher learning.

It does seem as though some institutions believe that they run football factories in which undergraduate degrees are coincidentally handed out, rather than the opposite.

And it's absurd that a football coach would be the highest paid employee at an institution of higher learning.

johngateswhiteley
09-01-2008, 08:51 PM
And it's absurd that a football coach would be the highest paid employee at an institution of higher learning.

i don't know. he brings more money to the university than probably anyone else...which allows other programs and sports to operate.

K-State Spur
09-01-2008, 09:07 PM

i'm not saying that it doesn't make sense from the school's perspective to field winning teams.

but it does say a lot about us that we are willing to donate to winning athletic programs, but typically it takes the academic facilities much longer to garner the resources to upgrade (although not always).

And it is nothing short of ridiculous how many high school seniors select a school based on the team that they rooted for growing up.

I'm a realist and a cynic, so I am fully aware that things will only continue to escalate. But every now and again, I like to take note of how our priorities are out of whack. Huge jumbotrons, top of the line weight rooms (any player willing could get plenty stronger using the room at any local high school, it's about effort - not equipment), VIP suites, schools feeling the need to cheat to gain an advantage - somewhere along the line we lost our way.

DMX7
09-01-2008, 09:19 PM
"One of these things does not belong...."

:lmao

Still, it's Notre Dame. Stoops getting 6.5 million seems way out there too.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-01-2008, 11:35 PM
OU could lose their next five bowl games, and still be considered choice no. 1 for every urban guy with speed coming out of high school.

bresilhac
09-02-2008, 01:29 AM

That's because one would have to assume that the primary interest of major colleges such as the ones listed in this thread is to educate. Of course it is not. Their main focus is to bring in revenue from sports. Namely football. And they are very successful at it. What bothers me though is that the kids who bring in all that revenue to the big schools do not get paid for their efforts.

The coaches and athletic directors and school presidents do but not the kids who do the playing. Major college football is a huge scam setup to make certain schools and individuals rich at the expense of young talent. I say pay the college players like the pros they are and then you would begin to have a fairer system.

K-State Spur
09-02-2008, 01:33 AM
I say pay the college players like the pros they are and then you would begin to have a fairer system.

How is that? You'd have about 20 schools that could afford to compete.

Not to mention that most fans like [at least the illusion] of amateur athletes. If they're going to watch professionals - might as well wait for the best athletes on Sundays.

Whisky Dog
09-02-2008, 10:52 AM
In a capitalistic system the amount of money generated is usually proportionate to salaries. If 98,000 people start paying top dollar to watch little Bobby take a calculus test then teachers will get paid big money too. I'm surprised the lawyer, of all people in this thread, questioned that.

IcemanCometh
09-02-2008, 02:55 PM
How much are the Aggies still paying Fran?