PDA

View Full Version : Nick Fazekas Worked Out for Spurs?

CaptainLate
08-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Former Dallas Mavericks F Fazekas learned NBA is a business

08:54 PM CDT on Saturday, August 23, 2008
Associated Press

RENO, Nev. – Former Nevada basketball star Nick Fazekas said he learned how to adjust to the heightened speed of the game in his first season in the NBA. He also learned that professional basketball is a business.

"In the NBA, you are just kind of an employee. You are just there," said Fazekas, adding that the business aspect can dull the joy of the game.

"At all times you are vulnerable to something that could happen to you. You don't know where you will be the next day. You might be off to another city," he said in a recent interview with the Reno Gazette-Journal.

The 23-year-old power forward from Arvada, Colo., finished his college career in 2007 as Nevada's all-time leading scorer with 2,464 points, second in rebounding with 1,254.

In the NBA, he has bounced from one place to the next last year, playing with Tulsa's D-League team as well as the Dallas Mavericks – who drafted him in the second round – and the Los Angeles Clippers.

His future home is uncertain. After receiving a qualifying offer from the Clippers, the two parties agreed to dissolve the offer on Aug. 1.

Fazekas, who makes his home near Dallas, said the Clippers' qualifying offer did not have salary protection because he was brought to the team under a 10-day contract instead of through the draft.

"It was kind of like being stuck between a rock and hard spot," Fazekas said. "With the Clippers, there were no guarantees, and now instead of being available to only one team, I am available to 29 more."

Fazekas said several teams have shown interest in him and that he was in the middle of working out for the Spurs. When asked whether he was anxious he had yet to sign a contract or comfortable letting an offer come in before NBA training camps open on Oct. 1, he said: "A little bit of both."

"I've got faith in my agent, that he will put in the best possible situation," Fazekas said.

Fazekas will earn NBA money next season no matter where he plays, thanks to the two-year deal he signed with the Mavericks after last season's draft. He said his goal is to play in the NBA next season, but he might take a look at playing overseas if an NBA team doesn't come calling.

Sense
08-30-2008, 06:14 PM
Your name fits you

duncan228
08-30-2008, 06:18 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103371

FanSPURSatic
08-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Your name fits you

:lol

bigdog
08-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Your name fits you

LOL

CaptainLate
08-30-2008, 07:12 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103371

Thanks. I had gone all the way back to Aug 24 threads and did not see this story.

CaptainLate
08-30-2008, 07:13 PM
Your name fits you

Charity covers a multitude of sins.
You should work on increasing yours -- the charity, that is.