PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins Re-sign Ricky Williams

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Source: Miami signs Williams to 1-year contract extension
Updated: August 31, 2008, 10:18 AM ET

The Dolphins have signed Ricky Williams to a one-year contract extension that will keep him in the Miami backfield through 2009, a source close to the veteran running back said.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Saturday that there was no signing bonus, but Williams' salary in 2009 could increase significantly over this year's base of $730,000.

The Miami tailback can increase his 2008 compensation with easily achievable incentives, the source said. Williams, 31, was scheduled to be a free agent in '09.

Dolphins officials had no comment on Williams' new pact.

Williams, the 2002 NFL rushing champion, has played in only 13 games since retiring in the summer of 2004. He has tested positive for marijuana at least four times since the Dolphins acquired him in 2002, and their franchise-record playoff drought began that same year.

In July, the 1998 Heisman Trophy winner said he felt good going into the Dolphins' season.

The Dolphins, coming off an embarrassing 1-15 season, are banking that he does.

Williams returned last year, but his comeback lasted less than one half. He gained only 15 yards on six carries before he fumbled, was stepped on and tore his chest muscle against Pittsburgh. Teamed with Ronnie Brown, who was on pace for a career season in 2007 before he tore a ligament in his right knee, Miami's running backs have lofty expectations.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3561962

IronMexican
08-31-2008, 12:05 PM
He will help out Ronny Brown.

samikeyp
08-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Oh good....Ricky must have found a reliable doobage connection on South Beach. All is well.

:lmao

dirk4mvp
08-31-2008, 12:16 PM
Who woulda guessed there would already be a weed joke in this thread? :rolleyes

samikeyp
08-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Nothing wrong with weed jokes. I hope Ricky does well.

Evan
08-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Did he ever have to give back all that money to the Dolphins or did coming back solve it?

He may be the biggest waste of talent in the modern NFL. Has all the tools but little desire.

Brutalis
08-31-2008, 02:41 PM
He will help out Ronny Brown.

:tu

Dolphins looking solid with Pennington and Henne as a future starter. Henne has done well in preseason.

mytespurs
08-31-2008, 05:46 PM
:tu

Dolphins looking solid with Pennington and Henne as a future starter. Henne has done well in preseason.

Yeah, they're looking better but they have a ways to go. Speaking as a diehard Dolphins fan since I was a youngster, I'm not getting my hopes up this team to do a complete 180......90 degrees...yeah....I say 6-10 but if that 6-10 is showing promise, I'll have something to look forward to for the first time in years. :king

mytespurs
08-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Ricky has come back to camp with a seemingly new attitude and the trifecta have faith in him. I always liked Ricky as a Phin......despite his flaky behavior, I thought he did a great job and I hope he bounces back strong this season. The Phins can use all the help they can get.

kskonn
08-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Did he ever have to give back all that money to the Dolphins or did coming back solve it?

He may be the biggest waste of talent in the modern NFL. Has all the tools but little desire.

I am no expert but I am pretty positive that coming back after his suspension solved that problem. If I remember they wanted back the remaining year of the signing bonus back when he wanted to retire.

Slinkyman
09-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Here's to hoping Ricky has a stand out season for the phins, he's on my fantasy team.

NewJerSpur
09-01-2008, 08:18 PM
He will help Ronny Brown get high out of his mind.

There, fixed. :lol

Sorry, I couldn't help myself....it was wide open. On a more serious note, I'm routing for Ricky to make another turn around and this time make it stick. I also hope he stays healthy all season.

jack sommerset
09-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Dr. Ricky Williams. He wants to be a doctor so he can prescribe weed to himself. That guy is one smart S.O.B!