PDA

View Full Version : MMA Forum to Open before October 1st

Kori Ellis
08-31-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi,

We decided to go ahead with the MMA forum. It will open on/before Oct 1 with the other improvements to SpursTalk.

Here's what I need from you:

1. A name for the forum.

2. A logo and color suggestions for the forum. The logo needs to be 650 x 164. If one of you is good at PhotoShop, make a few versions and vote on it.

3. As you all might know, I'm the sports channel editor for b5media, where I oversee 20+ sports blogger/blogs. One of the blogs is called Jab & Grapple (http://JabandGrapple.com) and includes wrestling, boxing and now MMA stuff. I need guest posts for this blog - unpaid - up to three times a week. I would think between all of you, that you guys could probably manage that, right? You would get your name on the post along with a link back to your website (or to this forum).

Thanks.

-K

Evan
08-31-2008, 06:04 PM
bad.ass

thanks

as for 3...I used to have my own MMA blog/site( which brought me here since a story I wrote was linked here) but I got so burned out I shut it down. But if the mood every strikes me again I will submit my rant.....just don't expect AP style. hah

To be honest I will probably never be motivated to write a story again. Sorry.

djohn14
08-31-2008, 06:17 PM
Kori...I worship you...Thank you so much.

dbreiden83080
08-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Awesome, thanks Kori :toast

We'll make great use of the forum we promise. MMA talk has really grown around here in the last year and with an MMA forum now official, it will only get bigger. Everyone that talks MMA here is very knowledgeable and we have great discussions. I'd expect that to continue, only on a larger scale. This is great :toast

desflood
08-31-2008, 07:03 PM
What a blast. Thank you, dear Kori! My hubby says he might take a run or two at a possible logo - he's getting pretty good at photoshop and likes playing with that sort of thing.

Evan
08-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Alright folks....

I say the forum name is "Fight Club" in honor of the greatest fight movie of all time.

Thoughts?

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/faulkner/fight-club1.jpg

TheTruth
08-31-2008, 08:33 PM
I agree with Fight Club. That way it doesn't distinguish between MMA and Boxing. There are a bunch of boxing fans that post here as well.

TheTruth
08-31-2008, 08:34 PM
And you guys that pleaded for a Forum, better work your asses off to make it grow. Don't make Kori go through all that work only to see RealKingsTalk part 2.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Fight Club. I like it.

And what TheTruth said.

Evan
08-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I agree with Fight Club. That way it doesn't distinguish between MMA and Boxing. There are a bunch of boxing fans that post here as well.

We decided to go ahead with the MMA forum.

Uh buddy...its the MMA FORUM as Boxing fans didn't care enough to ask for one. We have been begging for one for half a year...user after user.

We decided to go ahead with the MMA forum.

And you guys that pleaded for a Forum, better work your asses off to make it grow. Don't make Kori go through all that work only to see RealKingsTalk part 2.

AND WE WILL KEEP UP WITH MMA TALK.

Evan
08-31-2008, 09:08 PM
dallaskd...you worked the most for this...cheers my friend :toast

dbreiden83080
08-31-2008, 09:15 PM
Don't make Kori go through all that work only to see RealKingsTalk part 2.

That won't happen. An average UFC fight thread gets more traffic then any thread in Kingstalk even during the NBA season. Almost no Kings fans post there, at all. Evan and Leonard do a bang up job updating everything in the world of MMA, DallasKd as well. I'm here quite often along with many others that are into MMA around here. This will grow and be a great addition to Spurstalk. There are a lot of big event fights coming up in the next 6 months or so alone. Should be a lot of fun.

dbreiden83080
08-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Alright folks....

I say the forum name is "Fight Club" in honor of the greatest fight movie of all time.

Thoughts?

http://www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/faulkner/fight-club1.jpg

I like it

Evan
08-31-2008, 09:22 PM
And again..this is a MMA forum...boxing fans have apathy and never asked for a forum.

djohn14
08-31-2008, 09:26 PM
Fight Club...I think I can handle that. This froum will not fail either...Everyone knows what they are talking about, and thats why everyone loves it!

Evan
08-31-2008, 09:29 PM
I love you guys...Fight club was written by Chuck Palahniuk who is also my favorite author. I care more about books than MMA so this will make me cry.

:worthy:

BWS-1994
08-31-2008, 10:18 PM
:ihit Fight Club gets my vote too.

Been out of touch with MMA since the last time I practiced grappling. Hopefully,this new MMA forum will help me get back on the mats and hit the bags again. And a few $ will surely help :lol

:toast to all who've worked for this!

Evan
08-31-2008, 10:22 PM
:ihit Fight Club gets my vote too.

Been out of touch with MMA since the last time I practiced grappling. Hopefully,this new MMA forum will help me get back on the mats and hit the bags again. And a few $ will surely help :lol

:toast to all who've worked for this!

I promise that we will get you caught up...any question you ask will be answered on the new MMA forum.

cornbread
08-31-2008, 10:28 PM
Fight Club!!

:danceclub

cornbread
08-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Color ideas? Photoshop skills anybody?

Evan
08-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Color ideas? Photoshop skills anybody?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Image- I would like to have something that is glove based but I am willing to defer 100% creative rights to desflood's husband. If she lets her husband have full control I am sure it will be done right.

Color - MMA is Black, White and Red....right? The Octagon is black cage with a White floor (or the UFC gray that sucks) and red for blood.

cornbread
08-31-2008, 10:47 PM
That sounds about right.

ATRAIN
09-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Can we use fight club? Dont want Kori to get in trouble with copyright. If we can Fight Club would rock!!

desflood
09-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Black, white and red sounds pretty good... and a glove of some sort doesn't sound bad either. Any other suggestions, guys? I'll send him in here and have him talk with everybody and see what happens.

Evan
09-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Black, white and red sounds pretty good... and a glove of some sort doesn't sound bad either. Any other suggestions, guys? I'll send him in here and have him talk with everybody and see what happens.

yeah any other suggestions...probably be better to have 4 or 5 things to chose from..

Evan
09-01-2008, 09:49 AM
How about blue and white?

dallaskd
09-01-2008, 10:54 AM
damn this is awesome!!!! yes Fight Club it is. that sounds awesome. for the banner i say we do a combo of fighters photoshop. maybe Royce and some early UFC guys along with maybe cro or wandy from pride and mix gsp and liddell in there. colors dont really matter, anything is fine but i like black and blue or blue and white. my photoshop sucks but ill try a few. :lol

djohn14
09-01-2008, 11:06 AM
damn this is awesome!!!! yes Fight Club it is. that sounds awesome. for the banner i say we do a combo of fighters photoshop. maybe Royce and some early UFC guys along with maybe cro or wandy from pride and mix gsp and liddell in there. colors dont really matter, anything is fine but i like black and blue or blue and white. my photoshop sucks but ill try a few. :lol

Or we could like do every champion....nah I like your idea better...it sounds pretty good. Anderson Silva though?

dallaskd
09-01-2008, 11:15 AM
sure. if you want a specific fighter i suggest you make it.

dallaskd
09-01-2008, 11:59 AM
http://i35.tinypic.com/j7d9v6.jpg

dallaskd
09-01-2008, 12:00 PM
?

dallaskd
09-01-2008, 12:02 PM
maybe slomo or mouse will make one for 5 bucks..

djohn14
09-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Thats pretty cool!!...I had a feeling Soku would be on there lol. I would love to make one, but sadly im not even real sure how it works.

dallaskd
09-01-2008, 12:29 PM
Evan and Leonard need to ask some of their mma buddies what they can do for us. speaking of him...where is leonard-doody in all of this?

TheTruth
09-01-2008, 12:54 PM
i doubt you'd be able to use the Fight Club logo from the movie in the banner.

Evan
09-01-2008, 01:20 PM
speaking of him...where is leonard-doody in all of this?

He's working on a big ass project at work...he will be a bit quite for awhile.

desflood
09-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Preposterous. Doesn't he know there are important things going on here?

Kori Ellis
09-01-2008, 03:18 PM
i doubt you'd be able to use the Fight Club logo from the movie in the banner.

Correct. You can't use any copyrighted material.

dbreiden83080
09-01-2008, 03:50 PM
So can we use Fight Club as a name, just not the official logo?

TheTruth
09-01-2008, 03:53 PM
So can we use Fight Club as a name, just not the official logo?

why don't you guys use MMA Fight Club or something like that.

dbreiden83080
09-01-2008, 03:55 PM

I like that too

Evan
09-01-2008, 04:08 PM

Yeah that sounds good.

dallaskd
09-01-2008, 08:45 PM
we got our colors and then name if the color poll stays the same. someone make a damn banner.

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 10:26 AM
"Leonard's Forum"

desflood
09-02-2008, 10:29 AM
"Leonard's Forum"
Maybe if he showed up occasionally.

:p:

Evan
09-02-2008, 10:33 AM
"Leonard's Forum"

^^^^^^Oh wow…look who decided we were worth 10 seconds of his time.

Thank you for sparing a moment….

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 10:35 AM
Make it "Forum of Thy Leonard" and I'll come around more often...

Evan
09-02-2008, 10:35 AM
GIVE US YOUR THOUGHTS ON Randy you dil!

tlongII
09-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Fight Club!

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Leonard's Fight Club :fro

dallaskd
09-02-2008, 04:08 PM
im the reason yall are going to have this so watch it.. hah

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
im the reason yall are going to have this so watch it.. hah

Couture>Fedor

based on that in your avatar we have to question you...

Randy knows Fedor will smoke him...could see it on his face after Fedor smoked Tim...

Sense
09-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Uh buddy...its the MMA FORUM as Boxing fans didn't care enough to ask for one. We have been begging for one for half a year...user after user. .

omfg, dude shut the fuck up... seriously...

how old are you?

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 05:14 PM

how old are you?

He's old...

Boxing stays in Other Sports...there are only about 3 threads a year...

Evan
09-02-2008, 05:34 PM

how old are you?

old enough to not use "omfg" and throw out tough guy interweb cussing

I think you're wanting to argue with people so bad you're missing my entire point.

seriously...where are boxing fans that cared to ask? Nowhere does it say its a boxing forum. Why are you so confused by this? If Kori says boxing then I could not care less.

Evan
09-02-2008, 05:40 PM
He's old...

It only hurts because its true :depressed

ps..call me in February

yup

dallaskd
09-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Couture>Fedor

based on that in your avatar we have to question you...

Randy knows Fedor will smoke him...could see it on his face after Fedor smoked Tim...

haha i know Fedor would win, Im just a huge Randy fan.

dallaskd
09-02-2008, 06:21 PM
and i put that up at the time around the HMC fight.

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 06:24 PM
and i put that up at the time around the HMC fight.

Couture would struggle with HMC...

dallaskd
09-02-2008, 06:27 PM
He would own him for 3 rounds and get the decision. And if Randy would struggle, just about everyone at HW would and HMC would be a top 15 heavyweight.

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Lots of people would struggle with HMC...

a decision against HMC for Couture would = a loss IMO ;)

Evan
09-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Lots of people would struggle with HMC...

a decision against HMC for Couture would = a loss IMO ;)

Oh cmon..........

his rules were handicapped.

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Handicapped rules have been used many times in Japan when there is a big weight difference...125 lbs is significant :)

Evan
09-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Handicapped rules have been used many times in Japan when there is a big weight difference...125 lbs is significant :)

Oh ok...Japan...the land of freak show lopsided fights...

You take a large mutant with a soon to be crippling growth condition who gets worse health wise as time goes on, who also is so slow he throws a 5mph punch and take away his one shot at winning.

-awesome- :lol

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Knees weren't his only way of winning...

You're WAAAAAAAAAAAY discrediting him and his striking ability.

I stand by my statement (which has been my statement all along) that many would struggle with HMC if they were dropped into Fedor's place in that fight...

Evan
09-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Knees weren't his only way of winning...

You're WAAAAAAAAAAAY discrediting him and his striking ability.

I stand by my statement (which has been my statement all along) that many would struggle with HMC if they were dropped into Fedor's place in that fight...

A kickboxer who couldn't use his knees? He not a mma fighter. to make it fair Fedor shouldn't have been able to use submissions then.

Maybe if it was him 5 years ago it.might.make.sense.

Thats like someone thumping their chest saying Hughes beat Gracie. Its a garbage win.

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
and yet if you would've dropped Couture, Sylvia, etc into that ring they would've struggled or lost...

too bad we didn't get HMC vs Lesnar in K-1...

dallaskd
09-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Zulu > HMC

:lol

Evan
09-02-2008, 07:10 PM
and yet if you would've dropped Couture, Sylvia, etc into that ring they would've struggled or lost...

too bad we didn't get HMC vs Lesnar in K-1...

Why bring up those two? This has nothing to do with them. This is about Fedor and his exhibition Japanese freakshow fight(s). Love or hate Tim he has fought the best and I challenge you to find someone who has fought better opponents constantly in a short time frame as him across any weight class in MMA history. Lesnar...he has been thrown to the fire and has delivered under real MMA rules. HMC was so lost and castrated.

Besides...cmon dude...you don't know that they would have lost
Nobody does so thats not a fair statement. But if HMC is so good...why hasn't this bastion of MMA superstardom done more in MMA until now? I know he is in the army now.

His punches are so slow a tree could move out of his way. Yeah his punches may be powerful but it would take a stoned guy in a broken wheel chair to get hit.

LEONARD
09-02-2008, 07:23 PM
Ya'll are missing my point...I'm not saying that HMC is good (especially in MMA)...I'm just saying that he could give anybody problems because of his size. If Couture had tried to take him down and ended up under him like Fedor did, would he have had the skills to do anything off his back? Could he have gotten out from under him?

And his striking (for his size) isn't bad based on his K-1 accomplishments. He beat Schilt (the current K-1 HW champ) 2 years ago...went to a decision (losses) with LeBanner twice...split with Mighty Mo. You have to have SOMETHING to do those things...

Evan
09-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Ya'll are missing my point...

Am I?

I'm not saying that HMC is good (especially in MMA)...

ok maybe I am

I'm just saying that he could give anybody problems because of his size.

Now it looks like I did get your point for the most part. What does size in MMA matter when you're slow and can't use all of your tools. Ok great..Fedor fought a slow big dude who is physically ruined.

Awesome.............?

If Couture had tried to take him down and ended up under him like Fedor did, would he have had the skills to do anything off his back? Could he have gotten out from under him?

You're arguing in hypothetical's again. Why? This is about Fedor Vs HCM. Fedor should stand alone in this.

And his striking (for his size) isn't bad based on his K-1 accomplishments.

His health is seriously declining, even K-1 has mentioned this.

He beat Schilt (the current K-1 HW champ) 2 years ago...went to a decision (losses) with LeBanner twice...split with Mighty Mo. You have to have SOMETHING to do those things...

Again this is like giving Hughes props for his fight against Gracie. Do you consider that fight a good win? The washed up shattered Gracie.

Sense
09-02-2008, 07:40 PM
He's old...

You don't get the point... it's not that I am mad that boxing wouldn't be on this forum... it's the fact that he thinks he's mister big shit now and somehow is setting up the rules for such a forum you guys have been on your knees for...

and it's just funny how defensive you get for exactly that... 3 threads a year..

like it would be a priviledge

If Kori says boxing then I could not care less.

like you'd have a say

Evan
09-02-2008, 07:44 PM
You don't get the point... it's not that I am mad that boxing wouldn't be on this forum... it's the fact that he thinks he's mister big shit now and somehow is setting up the rules for such a forum you guys have been on your knees for...

Your not very smart are you? Are you so dead set on arguing that you disregard what was cleary written? I have made it pretty clear the only reason there is a mma forum is because we have asked for it. Boxing fans don't seem to care so it wasn't considered.

Again, you're not very smart. I haven't set a single rule..it says MMA forum in the title, written by Kori.

If boxing gets added fine as I am a boxing fan. I simply prefer MMA.

like you'd have a say

I don't...Kori made this thread. Not me. Did you not notice?

Sense
09-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Your not very smart are you? Are you so dead set on arguing that you disregard what was cleary written? I have made it pretty clear the only reason there is a mma forum is because we have asked for it. Boxing fans don't seem to care so it wasn't considered.

Again, you're not very smart. I haven't set a single rule..it says MMA forum in the title, written by Kori.

If boxing gets added fine as I am a boxing fan. I simply prefer MMA.

On the "petition"... you actually believe everyone there isn't a boxing fan?

you're serious?

I don't...Kori made this thread. Not me. Did you not notice?
lol oh I noticed... you just haven't noticed the banner/color/mma only shit that has been posted.... "I wouldn't care" lol..

Evan
09-02-2008, 07:53 PM
On the "petition"... you actually believe everyone there isn't a boxing fan?

you're serious?

I seem to have missed the boxing fans that participated in all the threads that dallaskd posted. You seem to keep forcing an issue that was never discussed or asked for and that is all I have brought up.

lol oh I noticed... you just haven't noticed the banner/color/mma only shit that has been posted.... "I wouldn't care" lol..

Your mangling of the English language has baffled me. Its like you have created your own style of grammar.

I humbly ask you to explain what do you mean here.

dbreiden83080
09-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Ok guys lets not argue this so much that Kori maybe changes her mind about giving us an MMA forum. She's doing us a huge favor. We can work out the kinks on the forum and what are the right topics for it after it opens. A little growing pains never hurt anyone.

Evan
09-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok guys lets not argue this so much that Kori maybe changes her mind about giving us an MMA forum. She's doing us a huge favor. We can work out the kinks on the forum and what are the right topics for it after it opens. A little growing pains never hurt anyone.

Agree 100%.

I'm simply responding to someone who has serious comprehension skills.

dbreiden83080
09-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Agree 100%.

I'm simply responding to someone who has serious comprehension skills.

I don't think the boxing stuff will be a problem. If a few threads end up in the MMA forum, so be it. Ideally i'd like it out of the MMA forum and in other sports but i just don't want Kori to think we are fighting like crazy in there over this stuff and that maybe an MMA forum is more trouble than it is worth. It should be great when it opens and attract new fans.

Evan
09-02-2008, 09:44 PM
I don't think the boxing stuff will be a problem. If a few threads end up in the MMA forum, so be it. Ideally i'd like it out of the MMA forum and in other sports but i just don't want Kori to think we are fighting like crazy in there over this stuff and that maybe an MMA forum is more trouble than it is worth. It should be great when it opens and attract new fans.

Again, agree 100%.

dallaskd
09-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Kori....

Name: MMA Fight Club
Colors: Blue, White, Silver
Banner:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/1e92aaad8d.jpg

banner pending if someone makes a better one.

Evan
09-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Kori....

Banner:

:toast

djohn14
09-03-2008, 06:59 AM
This is awesome!

dallaskd
09-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Kori, banner will probably be different everything else is the same.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Okay I need two people to write a post (or one person to write two posts) about any MMA news/opinions etc. that I can post at Jab & Grapple this weekend.

The posts should be able 250 words long.

Someone needs to step up.

Thanks.

-K

duncan228
09-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Congrats MMA fans. It's so cool that you guys got your forum.

DBryant88
09-05-2008, 06:24 AM
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

MajorMike
09-05-2008, 09:50 AM
I agree with Fight Club - a movie about a skitzo

ATRAIN
09-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Okay I need two people to write a post (or one person to write two posts) about any MMA news/opinions etc. that I can post at Jab & Grapple this weekend.

Thanks.

-K

Leonard, Evan, or Dallaskd, it has to be between you 3 IMHO

desflood
09-05-2008, 09:56 AM

Thanks.

-K
Any mma news/opinions? That's pretty open.

Evan
09-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Leonard, Evan, or Dallaskd, it has to be between you 3 IMHO

Can't do it….too burned out from having my own blog. The thought of doing a write up makes me suicidal. And I can safely speak for Leonard and say he can't either, dude has a massive project at work and has hardly had time to post a few sentences here lately.

250 words is easy gents….someone should try it. It will be fun. I am sure the audience for that blog is not die hards so you don't have to do a deep rich write up. Something basic is more than enough for a casual reader to absord.

There is so many topics to write about and probably the easiest is to write about possible 4 match-ups for Randy.

- Lesnar (of course)
- Winner of Mir Vs Nog
- Fedor
- Chuck at HW

I wouldn't mind helping someone fluff it up if they would like.

desflood
09-05-2008, 11:03 AM
I'll take one this week. Gentlemen, step up.

dbreiden83080
09-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Can't do it….too burned out from having my own blog. The thought of doing a write up makes me suicidal. And I can safely speak for Leonard and say he can't either, dude has a massive project at work and has hardly had time to post a few sentences here lately.

250 words is easy gents….someone should try it. It will be fun. I am sure the audience for that blog is not die hards so you don't have to do a deep rich write up. Something basic is more than enough for a casual reader to absord.

There is so many topics to write about and probably the easiest is to write about possible 4 match-ups for Randy.

- Lesnar (of course)
- Winner of Mir Vs Nog
- Fedor
- Chuck at HW

I wouldn't mind helping someone fluff it up if they would like.

I'll add something now and then but come on Evan, you wanted this forum as much as anyone, you really should step up and add to that. You know so much about MMA, it will be easy for you to give 250 words.

Evan
09-05-2008, 11:27 AM
I'll add something now and then but come on Evan, you wanted this forum as much as anyone, you really should step up and add to that. You know so much about MMA, it will be easy for you to give 250 words.

If something strikes I will add something. Can't promise when or how much.

Sometimes our posts are 250 to 1000 words and would make a nice write up with some tweaking.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2008, 11:32 AM
It can be up to 500 words, I guess. But 250-350 is best for me.

Thanks.

I think desflood will be writing a post, but anyone else who wants to do so is more than welcome. I need to fill in some content until I hire someone.

-K

Evan
09-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Thanks.

I think desflood will be writing a post, but anyone else who wants to do so is more than welcome. I need to fill in some content until I hire someone.

-K

ok so you aren't needing something consitantly? That changes my willingness to do soemthing if its just a couple here and there to fill in.

I will have one done for you by next weekend.

I think every fan here owes Kori at least 1.

ATRAIN
09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I guess I could write one on the future of the hw divisions mainly Brock vs Kimbo :).

tlongII
09-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Kori....

Banner:

That's pretty damn good! :toast

Kori Ellis
09-05-2008, 12:23 PM
ok so you aren't needing something consitantly? That changes my willingness to do soemthing if its just a couple here and there to fill in.

I will have one done for you by next weekend.

I think every fan here owes Kori at least 1.

I would like to get 3-4 posts per week over the next 3 weeks til I hire someone. Then, a once a week contribution+ or so would be nice.

dbreiden83080
09-05-2008, 12:24 PM

Thanks.

-K

Kori, do we write it up and send it to you in a PM, you look it over and decide if it's suitable??

Kori Ellis
09-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Kori, do we write it up and send it to you in a PM, you look it over and decide if it's suitable??

Sure, that's fine. Or you can send by email to [email protected].

Either way is cool.

Thanks.

LEONARD
09-05-2008, 01:26 PM

Thanks.

-K

Can it be post-UFC 88 (ie, Sunday afternoon/night)??

dbreiden83080
09-05-2008, 01:38 PM
I guess I could write one on the future of the hw divisions mainly Brock vs Kimbo :).

Kimbo will likely be out of MMA altogether, in a year or so. Once Elite XC folds, the UFC probably doesn't want him. He isn't legit at all.

desflood
09-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Kimbo will likely be out of MMA altogether, in a year or so. Once Elite XC folds, the UFC probably doesn't want him. He isn't legit at all.
I'd like to say you're right, but... don't kid yourself, the UFC is all about money. Dana might grab him if he got the chance. Let's hope Lorenzo kills the idea dead.

Evan
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they signed him just to have some up and comer tee-off on him. Cain or Carwin perhaps....maybe even to get Vera back on track.

Kori Ellis
09-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Can it be post-UFC 88 (ie, Sunday afternoon/night)??

Yes

dbreiden83080
09-05-2008, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they signed him just to have some up and comer tee-off on him. Cain or Carwin perhaps....maybe even to get Vera back on track.

Maybe if Brock loses to Randy, they can feed him Kimbo for a quick and easy payday. But your likely right. Bring him in, get some buzz and let a newcomer tee off on him.

Kori Ellis
09-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks to Leonard:
http://www.jabandgrapple.com/2008/09/07/ufc-88-recap/

and Desflood:
http://www.jabandgrapple.com/2008/09/07/getting-hooked-on-mma/

for their contributions.

:tu

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Nice one, LEONARD.

Evan
09-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks to Leonard:

and Desflood:

for their contributions.

Good work both of you! :toast

polandprzem
09-07-2008, 01:18 PM
:cheer:worthy:

angelbelow
09-07-2008, 09:44 PM
thats freaking awesome! cant wait

duncan228
09-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Thanks to Leonard:

and Desflood:

for their contributions.

Nicely done by both "Guest Bloggers".

LEONARD
09-08-2008, 11:55 AM
I won't quit my day job... :D

ATRAIN
09-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Good job guys. Oh Leonard, I loved this "Maybe he didn’t listen to his coaches? (I couldn’t resist)"

LMAO

ATRAIN
09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Do you still need more blogs Kori?

Evan
09-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Do you still need more blogs Kori?

she needs two from us a week until she hires someone.

I will do 1 by Saturday.I'm either going to take EliteXC's abysmal marketing and coordinating for their next show or match-ups for Randy.

But atrain if you want to do a write up and want one of those, go for it. 250 words is a layup.

desflood
09-08-2008, 05:04 PM
250 is easy. Actually, once you really get into what you're writing, it's more difficult to pare it down to 250.

Kori Ellis
09-09-2008, 06:29 AM
I got this one from Dbreiden.

http://www.jabandgrapple.com/2008/09/09/how-much-longer-can-randy-couture-defy-father-time/

Thanks and keep 'em coming.

I can use as many as you guys are willing to contribute. I just need 2 per week minimum until I hire. So whoever wants to write can do so.

And if someone wants to write some boxing/wrestling stuff too, that's welcome.

Thanks.

-K

polandprzem
09-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Can I write something?

I'm not much of an expert, but a blog style "article" with my experience of being a fan is "can do" for me.

???

ATRAIN
09-09-2008, 09:38 AM

http://www.jabandgrapple.com/2008/09/09/how-much-longer-can-randy-couture-defy-father-time/

Thanks and keep 'em coming.

I can use as many as you guys are willing to contribute. I just need 2 per week minimum until I hire. So whoever wants to write can do so.

And if someone wants to write some boxing/wrestling stuff too, that's welcome.

Thanks.

-K

Kori, I emailed you mine to your gmail.

duncan228
09-09-2008, 10:46 AM

Nice piece. ST has some great sports minds and it's cool to get a chance to see them on other sites.

Evan
09-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Kori will the existing mma threads be moved over to the new forum?

Kori Ellis
09-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Kori will the existing mma threads be moved over to the new forum?

Yes.

From ATRAIN:

http://www.jabandgrapple.com/2008/09/10/lesnar-the-next-big-thingagain/

Thanks.

polandprzem
09-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Can I write something?

I'm not much of an expert, but a blog style "article" with my experience of being a fan is "can do" for me.

???

No you can't maderfaker!

Evan
09-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Kori said its welcome to everyone

Evan
09-17-2008, 07:54 AM
Kori I will have a write up for you by Sunday afternoon. I just got some MMA biography's in the mail yesterday and I am going to try to have one read and reviewed by then.

DBryant88
09-17-2008, 08:06 AM
i am friggen excited for this forum. finally!! Dreams really do come true:bking

dallaskd
09-17-2008, 09:12 PM
2 weeks and counting..

dallaskd
09-24-2008, 05:26 PM
8 days...

Evan
09-26-2008, 12:21 PM
our last weekend in the parents house before we move out

DBryant88
09-26-2008, 01:10 PM
wooooooooooooo:danceclub

dallaskd
09-28-2008, 06:01 PM
2 more days :danceclub

polandprzem
09-29-2008, 01:18 AM
our last weekend in the parents house before we move out

I've already packed my bags

cornbread
09-29-2008, 06:48 PM
tick tock

dallaskd
09-29-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm having doubts this thing gets done by Oct 1st.

dbreiden83080
09-29-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm having doubts this thing gets done by Oct 1st.

If it takes longer, no biggie it'll get here

Evan
09-29-2008, 09:06 PM
yeah it will happen when it happens

dbreiden83080
09-29-2008, 09:22 PM
yeah it will happen when it happens

I thought Kori mentioned something in the Spurs section about being busy on some project right now so she may be running a little behind on some other things. So maybe we have to be patient.

Kori Ellis
09-29-2008, 10:05 PM
It's not the first yet ;)

polandprzem
09-29-2008, 10:47 PM
Kori didn't say what year before October 1st ...

Evan
09-30-2008, 06:35 AM
Kori didn't say what year before October 1st ...

^^^^good point

Evan
09-30-2008, 09:26 PM
T-Minus 2 1/2 hours

Don't think its going to happen tonight lady and gents

I'm going to call leonard to come over and tuck me in after a nice story

desflood
09-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Don't let the bedbugs bite, you two.

dallaskd
09-30-2008, 11:14 PM
less than an hour...

desflood
10-01-2008, 06:36 AM
I had to get up early to see. Very nice, Kori and timvp. Thanks so much :toast

Evan
10-01-2008, 06:49 AM
Very cool look

BWS-1994
10-01-2008, 06:50 AM
When I read polandprzem's thread in Other Sports, I was wondering about the same thing. Until I saw Kori's link...

This place is awesome! Thanks to everyone who made this happen! :toast

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I love the little active and hot threads icons off to the left!! Fucking sweet!!

LEONARD
10-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Sweet lookin' forum!

Evan
10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
The icons look like the Lyoto and Tito fight

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Awesome that this place is up and Running gonna be sweet.

Big UPS to Evan and Dallas, for getting MOD duty. You guys deserve it. :toast

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 09:29 AM

We have Mods up in here?

Evan
10-01-2008, 09:32 AM

Best part is….give me 5 hours and I am not sure I could name you 10 people who play in the NBA. Haha

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 09:34 AM
We have Mods up in here?

Yep

So i guess Evan is going to start infracting me for talking shit about Lyoto Machida :p:

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Yep

So i guess Evan is going to start infracting me for talking shit about Lyoto Machida :p:

What kind of "powers" do you mods have? Can I pay you to ban certain posters from here? :)

I know they are stand up guys, i was just joking :)....maybe!!

Evan
10-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Yep

The mod rights on this forum is basic mainatance rights. Spam…merging threads etc.

And Lyoto Machida is the most sound technical MMA fighter alive. :nope

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 09:44 AM
And Lyoto Machida is the most sound technical MMA fighter alive. :nope

Yep he has got the Hit Em and run like Hell technique down to an art.

Call me when those highlight Reel KO's come :toast

Evan
10-01-2008, 09:47 AM
*furiously looks for the ban button *

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 09:50 AM

LOL

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 10:01 AM

In all honesty Evan, all kidding aside, after watching UFC 84 and his fight with Tito a few times i am convinced Lyoto is not going to be a great champ in the UFC. The game-plan from what i can see to beat him if you are a big time striker at 205 like Rampage and Silva is get in his face, force him to fight you. He doesn't really hit that hard, he has almost no KO's on his record, mostly decisions. He is not as great a wrestler as some at 205. He has very good takedown defense but his style is all about, in and out, throw a lot of faints, leg kicks, jab, right hand get the hell out of the way. Strikers at 205 that are willing to absorb some of those shots to chase him down and make him fight can beat him. They'll have the time to get it done. Like i said he doesn't have one shot KO power.

Thoughts

Evan
10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
In all honesty Evan, all kidding aside, after watching UFC 84 and his fight with Tito a few times i am convinced Lyoto is not going to be a great champ in the UFC. The game-plan from what i can see to beat him if you are a big time striker at 205 like Rampage and Silva is get in his face, force him to fight you. He doesn't really hit that hard, he has almost no KO's on his record, mostly decisions. He is not as great a wrestler as some at 205. He has very good takedown defense but his style is all about, in and out, throw a lot of faints, leg kicks, jab, right hand get the hell out of the way. Strikers at 205 that are willing to absorb some of those shots to chase him down and make him fight can beat him. They'll have the time to get it done. Like i said he doesn't have one shot KO power.

Thoughts

Not many have 1 shot KO power. Thats a pretty unique skill and a lot of 1 shot ko guys end up on the mat out of nowhere.

Lyoto has fought a mere 13 times…3 are KO's. Sounds like an incredibly balanced fighter to me.

Do I think he will ever be a chamption? I have no idea…I really don't. But I appreciate the fact that he brings something different.

desflood
10-01-2008, 10:14 AM
But I appreciate the fact that he brings something different.
That's why I like watching him so much - he fights like nobody else. Which is why so many don't like him.

Conform! Conform! Or we'll boo you!

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 10:15 AM
That's why I like watching him so much - he fights like nobody else. Which is why so many don't like him.

If Des likes him, then so do I!! :)

Evan
10-01-2008, 10:16 AM

He is the perfect example of the evolution of a MMA fighter. He is pretty good at a lot of things but he just hasn't reached the masses, yet.

desflood
10-01-2008, 10:38 AM
If Des likes him, then so do I!! :)
That's sweet. When eventually Evan or dallas finds a reason to ban you I'll try to talk them out of it :p:

Evan
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
That's sweet. When eventually Evan or dallas finds a reason to ban you I'll try to talk them out of it :p:

I'm working on a list...

he's so close

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 10:43 AM

:), why thank you!!

I'm working on a list...

he's so close

LOL come on Evan you wouldnt ban me after all we have been through hahaha.

Evan
10-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks again Kori and Tim…appreciate it.

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 11:41 AM
I'm also putting all BJ Penn fans on notice. I will be talking tons of smack before and after GSP whips him in Jan :p:

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm also putting all BJ Penn fans on notice. I will be talking tons of smack before and after GSP whips him in Jan :p:

I actually got into a argument over this fight with a friend who is into MMA. I told him no way BJ wins that fight. They are both great fighters but BJ is a lazy ass compared to GSP. GSP is a very disciplined fighter and I dont see him not doing his homework on Penn. GSP by sub round 3!!!

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
I actually got into a argument over this fight with a friend who is into MMA. I told him no way BJ wins that fight. They are both great fighters but BJ is a lazy ass compared to GSP. GSP is a very disciplined fighter and I dont see him not doing his homework on Penn. GSP by sub round 3!!!

It is a dangerous fight for GSP because BJ is so versatile but i am VERY confident he is going to win that re-match. And win it with no doubts. This is really a fans fight. BJ has not fought at 170 since he lost to Matt Hughes a few years ago. 155 is really where he belongs. He is not nearly as naturally big and strong as some of 170 pd contenders. He is getting this fight because they had a close first fight, and BJ i think is whining to the UFC that he does not want to wait any longer for the re-match. He is a guy that needs to be motivated. After beating Sherk, a title fight at 155 against Florian, (Who he'd beat easy) does not thrill him. A 5 RD title fight with GSP at 170 though, probably has him creaming in his pants. :p:

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 12:21 PM
It is a dangerous fight for GSP because BJ is so versatile but i am VERY confident he is going to win that re-match. And win it with no doubts. This is really a fans fight. BJ has not fought at 170 since he lost to Matt Hughes a few years ago. 155 is really where he belongs. He is not nearly as naturally big and strong as some of 170 pd contenders. He is getting this fight because they had a close first fight, and BJ i think is whining to the UFC that he does not want to wait any longer for the re-match. He is a guy that needs to be motivated. After beating Sherk, a title fight at 155 against Florian, (Who he'd beat easy) does not thrill him. A 5 RD title fight with GSP at 170 though, probably has him creaming in his pants. :p:

hahah yeah but when they fought the first time GSP wasnt as seasoned as he is now IMO. GSP will destroy him now. So what do you think, GSP in what round and how?

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 12:33 PM
hahah yeah but when they fought the first time GSP wasnt as seasoned as he is now IMO. GSP will destroy him now. So what do you think, GSP in what round and how?

I see GSP using his wrestling to control the fight and he wins a lopsided decision or finishes BJ in Round 4 or 5 with strikes, referee stoppage. GSP is one of the finest conditioned athletes in the sport who seems to have tunnel vision since his loss to Serra. He is always training, always sharp and working on some aspect of his game. We are talking about a guy that at UFC 79 stepped into the main event against Matt Hughes on 30 days notice and completely smashed him in 2 rounds. Hughes didn't even lay a glove on him.

The Sherk fight with Penn while BJ won it, i don't see where he will dominate GSP. Sherk's game-plan was so awful in that fight. He is a good wrestler who is a cardio freak. BJ has better cardio now, but nowhere near as good as Sherks. He did not push that fight on BJ at all. He just traded with him in the center of the ring for 2 and a half rounds. He wasn't even fainting and attempting to take BJ down so he'd be more tired as the fight went on. GSP will not make that mistake. He'll push that fight and take it to BJ with all aspects of his game. BJ has great hands and he hits pretty hard but he does not use his kicks all that much and you can get him with leg kicks. GSP has some of the best kicks in all of MMA. I see him kicking BJ's legs until they are friggin blue, softening him up for takedowns as the fight wears on. GSP's wrestling is maybe pound for pound the best in MMA. He got 4 takedowns in the first fight, he'll get BJ down in this fight and do it often. GSP took damage in Round 1, largely due to an eye poke that screwed with his vision. So i say he wins a decision or wears BJ out by Round 4 or 5 with his superior conditioning and takes him out.

I love breaking down fights, God Bless this new Forum :toast

Evan
10-01-2008, 12:35 PM
^^^^^now thats some analysis

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 12:40 PM

LOL, i try

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 12:50 PM

Yeah hahaha and here I was just asking for how and when, but I appreciate the breakdown and that was pretty much what I was trying to say but not all technical like :).

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Yeah hahaha and here I was just asking for how and when, but I appreciate the breakdown and that was pretty much what I was trying to say but not all technical like :).

Yes i tend to rant on a bit but, you can't do that stuff at Sherdog without getting flamed by 13 year olds with too much time on their hands. So i'm doing it here, :p:

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Yes i tend to rant on a bit but, you can't do that stuff at Sherdog without getting flamed by 13 year olds with too much time on their hands. So i'm doing it here, :p:

hahah yeah other than 1 certain poster I really like talking to everyone on this MMA forum. Everywhere else I have been, i have encountered a lot of douche bags.

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 12:58 PM

plus I really liked your rant/break down. Everything I was thinking (minus the kicks) was what your wrote on your breakdown, however I think GSP will finish the fight faster :).

desflood
10-01-2008, 01:00 PM
I have mistakenly gone into "Other Sports" about five times already today.

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 01:01 PM
I have mistakenly gone into "Other Sports" about five times already today.

LOL I did 2 times, still taking some getting used to for sure but glad you made it back safely :).

Evan
10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Me too.....

going to take some getting used to. We have probably already surpassed kings talk for the past year just today.

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Me too.....

going to take some getting used to. We have probably already surpassed kings talk for the past year just today.

LOL yeah im sure of it

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Me too.....

I was actually wondering for a while if Kori might just get rid of Kings-Talk and give us that space, since it is rarely used. She decided to keep it though.

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 01:51 PM
plus I really liked your rant/break down. Everything I was thinking (minus the kicks) was what your wrote on your breakdown, however I think GSP will finish the fight faster :).

Interesting. I see GSP wearing BJ down because BJ does have excellent striking with his hands and he's got a good chin. For whatever reason the guy never gets cut, it is messed up. So i am not thinking quick KO here. More that he'll wear BJ out. You see GSP getting it done early though Huh...

desflood
10-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Whenever Penn fights above 155 he gasses by the end of the second. GSP will finish in the third.

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Interesting. I see GSP wearing BJ down because BJ does have excellent striking with his hands and he's got a good chin. For whatever reason the guy never gets cut, it is messed up. So i am not thinking quick KO here. More that he'll wear BJ out. You see GSP getting it done early though Huh...

Yup as stated in my first response to you, GSP by sub, 3rd round. Its going to prob happen in the 4th though. LIke the Evans fight I said Evans to KO chuck, i was a round off.

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Whenever Penn fights above 155 he gasses by the end of the second. GSP will finish in the third.

She agrees with me :), Take that Evan!!!

Evan
10-01-2008, 02:20 PM
she feels sorry for you

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 02:22 PM
she feels sorry for you

hahahaha Yeah I dont think thats it :)

Evan
10-01-2008, 02:23 PM
she feels my vibe

*radiates*

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 02:48 PM

I love arguing with the BJ fans that all tell me "Penn has much better cardio now than he did before" I think he does, but at 155. He has not proven a thing at 170 in years. That division is just STACKED since BJ last fought in it. I was actually surprised GSP did not tell the UFC "If Penn wants to come and fight for my title, make his ass fight and beat a top 170 pder first" Guess because GSP doesn't duck anyone he just decided to fight him now anyway.