PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili and Shawne Merriman: Dumb and Dumber

ducks
09-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Manu Ginobili hobbled through the playoffs on a bad hip and then injured his ankle against the Lakers. Gregg Popovich, head coach of the San Antonio Spurs, begged and beseeched him not to play for Argentina in the Olympics.

But Ginobili listened to the call of his homeland rather than the urgings of his coach and went off to seek the gold. Ginobili didn’t care that he and his Argentine teammates already had Olympic gold medals, he wanted another one.

What he got instead was a bronze medal and the necessity to undergo immediate arthroscopic surgery for ligament impingement.

He will be out indefinitely, which puts a damper on the Spurs' hopes of getting off to a fast start. If the NBA’s Western Conference is as tight this year as it was last year, the Spurs cannot afford to lose their top playmaker for any length of time.

Ginobili’s decision to forgo surgery in June and play on the damaged ankle throughout the Olympic games was a dumb one.

If the San Diego Chargers’ Shawne Merriman doesn’t learn from Ginobili’s mistake, then he is even dumber. His situation is much worse than Ginobili’s.

His ligaments are not impinged, but torn. Not one, but two of them. And they are knee ligaments. But unlike Gregg Popovich, Chargers head coach Norv Turner thinks he can control any further damage to Merriman’s knee.

He believes that, and Merriman believes that, too. Maybe I can sell them a bridge over in Brooklyn.

They also believe that they can brace up the knee to avoid any further damage. After all, the ligaments are already torn. What more can go wrong? Well, for one thing, the cartilage around the knee can suffer from the instability and pressure. That could be career-threatening and will certainly complicate any surgery that needs to be done in the future.

Even if Merriman is able to play, how effective can he be? Well, how effective was Ginobili? He led the Olympic basketball teams in scoring, but when the ankle finally gave out in the quarterfinal game against Team USA, he was done. Team USA went on to throttle Argentina and win the gold medal.

So, if Merriman eventually goes down midseason, how does that help the Chargers? Is an injured Merriman that much more effective than a healthy backup linebacker? Why not give the backup a chance to play now rather than have to rush him in later?

San Diego got off to a horrible start last year but still won their division with room to spare. The AFC West is one of the weaker divisions in the NFC. So, let the Chargers' backup linebackers have the chance to compete now and get better as the season goes on.

Don’t do this, Shawne. Forget that "warrior" crap that L.T. is spouting off. No one needs you to prove that you are a macho warrior. What Charger fans need you to prove is that you are not stupid.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/52229-manu-ginobili-and-shawne-merriman-dumb-and-dumber#

urunobili
09-01-2008, 12:44 PM
not bad not bad... :wakeup

Brutalis
09-01-2008, 01:04 PM
I agree. Manu should realize he owes the team that pays his bills the respect of him making good decisions about his health.

roycrikside
09-01-2008, 01:27 PM
A Ducks thread bashing Manu, how shocking. I guess Kori's warnings of a ban for this kind of stuff were just bluffs.

timvp
09-01-2008, 01:32 PM
A Ducks thread bashing Manu, how shocking. I guess Kori's warnings of a ban for this kind of stuff were just bluffs.It's an article. A bad article -- yet an article nonetheless.

E20
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
If the NBA’s Western Conference is as tight this year as it was last year, the Spurs cannot afford to lose their top playmaker for any length of time.

Thanks ducks for proving the point. Manu > Tony.

T Park
09-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Thanks ducks for proving the point. Manu > Tony.

oh christ stfu.

intlspurshk
09-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Ducks is so annoying.

Sissiborgo
09-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Ducks is so annoying.

wow...:king

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-01-2008, 01:44 PM
The AFC West is one of the weaker divisions in the NFC.
:bang

Manudona
09-01-2008, 01:58 PM
What he got instead was a bronze medal and the necessity to undergo immediate arthroscopic surgery for ligament impingement.

What an idiot. Like winning the bronze medal has no merit whatsoever.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Gee... What a surprise! :lol ducks posting an article that bashes Manu. I guess its because he's such a concerned fan...

vander
09-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Merriman is an idiot, but at least he's doing it for the team that's paying him, he'll wear a brace and he usually only runs in a slightly curved line anyways.

Manu on the other hand, appears to be just like all his fans, caring more about Argentina-pride than the Spurs. But why not? after all, the only thing the Spurs ever did for him was draft him when no one else was going to, wait for him to come over, develop him, bring him NBA fame and titles, and pay him 60 million dollars.

:flag:

I eagerly await the day when Manu is no longer a Spur and all of the annoying-as-fuck Manu fans stop pretending to be Spurs fans

Spooky
09-01-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't care about Shawn Merriman. If he wants to play let him. I never expected Manu not to play in the Olympics. :flag:

E20
09-01-2008, 03:29 PM
oh christ stfu.

Tell that to ducks.

Tully365
09-01-2008, 03:35 PM
It's going to be a lot of fun reading the many threads over and over the next few weeks, months, and years that say "my opinion is that Manu should not have played in the Olympics."

Here are some other options:

*Raise some money to bribe a pilot in the Bolivian Air Force to accidentally (wink wink) drop a bomb on Buenos Aires. I'm thinking $500 will do it. That'll teach their we're the Paris of South America asses!

*Exterminate the llamas! Those things are so damn cute that they make me sick! A plague on their species!

*Let's invade the Fuckin' Falkland Islands! What's that? Great Britain owns the Falklands?! Fuck it, let's invade them too.

O, Manu! Why have you forsaken us??

xtremesteven33
09-01-2008, 03:42 PM
someone should post the "dumb and dumber" video cover with Manus and Merrimans faces.....haha

manufor3
09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
A Ducks thread bashing Manu, how shocking. I guess Kori's warnings of a ban for this kind of stuff were just bluffs.

It's an article. A bad article -- yet an article nonetheless.

but it still bashes manu

Spurminator
09-01-2008, 04:21 PM
I eagerly await the day when Manu is no longer a Spur

That makes one of us.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-01-2008, 04:24 PM
I eagerly await the day when Manu is no longer a Spur

Yeah, trust me, you don't have to convince anyone of that. Its pretty damn obvious

Kori Ellis
09-01-2008, 04:36 PM
but it still bashes manu

True, but ducks didn't write it.

Anyway, people should stop posting "articles" from Bleacher Report. It's just a site where anyone can log in and write an article, and they always get everyone riled up.

Like I said before, SpursTalk posting Bleacher Report articles here is like ESPN posting some of Sequspur's posts on their site.

BlackSwordsMan
09-01-2008, 04:44 PM
ducks is a cute name =]

smeagol
09-01-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm going to be like a fly on shit on all these idiots that bash Manu, once he is well again and helping the Spurs to their fifth ring.

You know who you are fuckers. I will be relentless.

Cherry
09-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Z1iWzUjAKm8

vander
09-01-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm going to be like a fly on shit on all these idiots that bash Manu, once he is well again and helping the Spurs to their fifth ring.

:lol

you might want to start mentally preparing yourself for a much harsher reality

MaNuMaNiAc
09-01-2008, 05:54 PM
:lol

you might want to start mentally preparing yourself for a much harsher reality

We know you're hoping that's the case

ducks
09-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Brutalis post an ARTICLE about suggesting a trade of manu and does not get called out

but I guess ducks only post articles that the church of manu is upset with

vander
09-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Brutalis post an ARTICLE about suggesting a trade of manu and does not get called out

but I guess ducks only post articles that the church of manu is upset with

what country is ducks from? why he talk like KBP?

ShoogarBear
09-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Like I said before, SpursTalk posting Bleacher Report articles here is like ESPN posting some of Sequspur's posts on their site.

I didn't know you held SpursTalk in such low regard, Kori.

Kriz-Maxima
09-01-2008, 08:30 PM
I know I'm in the minority but my respect for Manu grows by the minute.

By the way, there was a picture, kind of like a seal, that said "the church of Manu, convertir a los no creyentes" or something like that can anyone post it here?

The Truth #6
09-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Merriman is an idiot, but at least he's doing it for the team that's paying him, he'll wear a brace and he usually only runs in a slightly curved line anyways.

Manu on the other hand, appears to be just like all his fans, caring more about Argentina-pride than the Spurs. But why not? after all, the only thing the Spurs ever did for him was draft him when no one else was going to, wait for him to come over, develop him, bring him NBA fame and titles, and pay him 60 million dollars.

:flag:

I eagerly await the day when Manu is no longer a Spur and all of the annoying-as-fuck Manu fans stop pretending to be Spurs fans

Yeah, let's get rid of him. Who wants to win titles anyway? And then maybe we can get Bob Weiss to coach the Spurs again. Those were the days.

Doctor J
09-01-2008, 10:19 PM
It sounds like people will blame on Manu if Spurs doesn't win it all this season.:depressed

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-01-2008, 10:22 PM
it's ashame Ducks isn't the Spurs GM. Manu could be had for cheap then :lol

lefty
09-01-2008, 10:22 PM
BS article

BlackSwordsMan
09-01-2008, 10:36 PM
trade parker for scola

Obstructed_View
09-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm waiting for someone to post up an article explaining how impingement heals on its own with rest.

ducks
09-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm waiting for someone to post up an article explaining how impingement heals on its own with rest.

ask the spurs doctors that cleared him to play in the games and now says he needs surgery:rolleyes:rolleyes

Slippy
09-01-2008, 11:24 PM
ask the spurs doctors that cleared him to play in the games and now says he needs surgery:rolleyes:rolleyes

The foot only improved when they treated it with boot and injection. Rest was not the solution. For 3 weeks after the WC Finals there was still swelling. He risked further damage by taking part in the games how-ever . Fortunately for Manu, Spurs and fans it was not worse when he re-aggravated it.

Surgery was the best option for total recovery. Time to move on and hope for the best.

Mister Sinister
09-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Oy.

Obstructed_View
09-01-2008, 11:32 PM

Rest is the first option for treatment. Once it doesn't heal, it isn't going to heal without surgery. I'm aware that doctors know what's going on. The point is that dumbfucks like you don't.

ducks
09-01-2008, 11:33 PM
I bet they would have done surgery sooner had he not wanted to play in the stupid olympic games

Obstructed_View
09-01-2008, 11:35 PM
The foot only improved when they treated it with boot and injection. Rest was not the solution. For 3 weeks after the WC Finals there was still swelling. He risked further damage by taking part in the games how-ever . Fortunately for Manu, Spurs and fans it was not worse when he re-aggravated it.

Surgery was the best option for total recovery. Time to move on and hope for the best.

According to Manu, there was no risk of further damage and there was no change in it from a week after the WCF to now. I'm curious as to whether or not people think he was lying in order to get into the olympics, and how he got that lie past the Spurs.

Now that rest has demonstrably not worked, it sounds like debridement has been the suggested remedy. The recovery period on that is less than 2 months at the outside. Add on another six weeks to get back into game shape and he'll be ready to go in plenty of time.

Obstructed_View
09-01-2008, 11:36 PM
I bet they would have done surgery sooner had he not wanted to play in the stupid olympic games

How would they have known that rest didn't work until he re-aggravated it?

ducks
09-01-2008, 11:38 PM
by x-rays

Obstructed_View
09-01-2008, 11:39 PM
by x-rays

I didn't know they had X rays that could see pain.

Slippy
09-01-2008, 11:53 PM
According to Manu, there was no risk of further damage and there was no change in it from a week after the WCF to now. I'm curious as to whether or not people think he was lying in order to get into the olympics, and how he got that lie past the Spurs.

Reports first came around 3 weeks after the WC finals that Manu had his own doubts about taking part becuase swelling was still there. So resting did nothing. Then came the treatment. In early July Manu was cleared so i can only infer that swelling had settled and spurs docs were ok with him taking part.

Manu himself recently stated in argentinian newspaper that after the last MRI(post olympics) that the re-aggravated injury "most importantly" was not worse, or damaged but still the same. That surgery would be needed for total recovery.

Manu-of-steel
09-02-2008, 01:42 AM
by x-rays
Dumbest answer, ever. Damaged ligaments are not visible using x-rays. check your head, idiot.

Manu-of-steel
09-02-2008, 01:54 AM
To those blaming manu for playing supposedly with swollen ankles in the olympics- he did play with the spurs even if he was hurt. if you blame manu, you also have to blame the following:
1. the spurs FO for drafting manu, knowing that manu is committed to playing for argentina, hence there is always the risk
2. coach pop, for allowing manu to play
3. you, for being dumb by supporting a team like the spurs. Start supporting other teams, you'll be spared of this mess. just be back once manu is back to his old self being a spark plug off the bench.
4. Manu must also blame himself, for being with the spurs and settling for just 10 million, though the reality is that he is much more than that
Me, i don't blame manu, nor the spurs, nor coach pop. I love the spurs team, whatever happens, i'll be with the team for the good and the bad times.. go spurs go.

gilmor
09-02-2008, 02:18 AM
Dumbest answer, ever. Damaged ligaments are not visible using x-rays. check your head, idiot.

You should be an idiot also for not knowing that Ducks is an idiot.. Best game plan is to just ignore his postings... idiot..

Manu-of-steel
09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
You should be an idiot also for not knowing that Ducks is an idiot.. Best game plan is to just ignore his postings... idiot..
if that is the case, then why are you even reading a thread posted by an idiot? hope you know what i mean, so STFU.

tlongII
09-02-2008, 09:47 PM

You know who you are fuckers. I will be relentless.

I kind of doubt that.