PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome (Beta) Launching 9/2/08

DynastyBuilder
09-01-2008, 11:32 PM
I was hoping they would release it soon, but this was fast!

:downspin:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html

Sense
09-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Never heard of such thing....

I guess I'll check it out now

Kyle Smith
09-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Neat.

baseline bum
09-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Sounds like they have some great ideas going into this thing. I never knew Javascript's garbage collection was so badly implemented.

baseline bum
09-02-2008, 12:31 PM
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080901-google-opens-up-new-front-in-browser-wars-with-chrome.html

Google opens up new front in browser wars with Chrome
By Ryan Paul | Published: September 01, 2008 - 07:05PM CT

Google has revealed plans today to release an innovative new open source web browser called Chrome that includes some extraordinary and unprecedented features. Google says that its new browser will move the web forward and provide a stronger platform for emerging web standards.
Related Stories

"We realized that the web had evolved from mainly simple text pages to rich, interactive applications and that we needed to completely rethink the browser," said Google VP of product management Sundar Pichai in a blog entry. "What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build."

The browser is built on top of Apple's WebKit HTML rendering engine, a lightweight renderer that is known for its clean code base, good performance, and excellent standards-compliance. WebKit's versatility and the ease with which it can be embedded in applications has led to its adoption in numerous contexts, including Google's Android web browser. Alongside WebKit, Google will be using its own JavaScript virtual machine called V8, which was designed for high performance and has some compelling features.

One of the most impressive technical innovations that Google has brought to Chrome is a multiprocess design. Each individual browser tab runs within its own isolated process, much like the way that processes work in an operating system. This will massively increase the robustness of the browser by insulating the application from bugs that cause crashes within individual tabs. The tab will go down, but the rest of the browser will remain unaffected. The multiprocess design also reduces the impact of memory fragmentation by ensuring that the memory used by a tab can be reclaimed completely when the tab is closed.

Another unique advantage of the multiprocess design is that it will allow users to see the distribution of memory between the various tabs and plug-ins used by the browser. Users will be able to use Chrome's built-in process manager to see how much memory is being used by each individual tab so that they can properly identify the real culprit when the browser begins to hog resources. Google has a few other strategies for reducing memory consumption too, like extremely aggressive and heavily-optimized garbage collection.

Security is also clearly an area where Google plans to push forward web innovation. Chrome has a sophisticated sandboxing system that is designed to protect against malware by restricting access to the underlying system functionality. Google will also be leveraging its malware blacklists (the same ones it uses to protect users from clicking through harmful search results) to warn users when they attempt to visit a site that is known to be infected.

There are many other nice features in Chrome too, including a rich autocompletion, tightly integrated Google Gears, a site-specific browser framework like Prism, and a private browsing function called Incognito that resembles Microsoft's recently announced InPrivate functionality.

Google says that an early test version for Windows will be released tomorrow, and support for Linux and Mac OS X will arrive in future releases. Many details have already been disclosed by Google Blogoscoped, which received early access to the promotional material, including an impressive 38-page comic spread by cartoonist Scott McCloud.

You can look forward to reading about our hands-on impressions of Google Chrome following its release.

lefty
09-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Has some Opera features (speed dial, most visited pages)

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/google_chrome_screen_04.jpg

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/chrome_screen_01.png

Calendar.
Screenshot shows Google Calendar and a pop-up window asking if you if you'd like to "Create shortcuts in the following locations." This seems to reinforce Google's drive to blur the line between Web-based applications and desktop applications.

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/google_chrome_screen_03.jpg

Brutalis
09-02-2008, 04:13 PM
I'll pass for now.

Sense
09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
well... I'm using it right now.... and I don't even know where the difference is from firefox...

I did although get into a website that made firefox crash often..

lefty
09-02-2008, 05:00 PM
well... I'm using it right now.... and I don't even know where the difference is from firefox...

Did you have any problem accessing Yahoo Mail and ESPN ?

(I know they don't work well with Opera)

baseline bum
09-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Probably the biggest difference is that one website cannot crash the entire browser. For instance, lots of times a slow loading pdf file or a website with bad java can make Firefox unresponsive. To close that site down you'll often have to shut down the entire program (thus losing everything in your other tabs). Chrome gets over this problem by spawning a new process for each tab, so you can just kill the process that's going bad and not affect the working tabs. It's kind of like closing down a bad program from the windows task manager in XP versus the whole operating system crashing and rebooting (like in the Windows 95 days).

baseline bum
09-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Yahoo mail is working fine for me in Chrome. ESPN looks pretty good too for me. That would be cool if you submitted a bug report to them about the problems you have though.

Much props to Google for releasing this open source.

DynastyBuilder
09-02-2008, 06:04 PM
I used and worked with Chrome most of the day noticing no problems or hiccups on many different sites. Thumbs up after the first day of use but I'm sure I'll find some quirks that are cons eventually.

:toast

Sense
09-02-2008, 07:35 PM
So far so good.... I like the simplicity, which is something that they wanted to emphasize too..

I really like it... I don't know if it's cuz I just changed the resolution.. but it looks pretty good

Sense
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Yahoo mail is working fine for me in Chrome. ESPN looks pretty good too for me. That would be cool if you submitted a bug report to them about the problems you have though.

Same thing here, ESPN and Yahoo mail are workin fine

lefty
09-02-2008, 08:56 PM

Same thing here, ESPN and Yahoo mail are workin fine

Thanks guys :toast

However, I still prefer Opera as an overall browser; it has a lot of great features (great password wizard, built-in Torrent downloader, zooming, etc...)

Too bad it has script issues with Ymail and ESPN

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm liking it so far.

Question though. The click wheel doesn't seem to be able to use for navigation. In FF, if you click on it, it should give you the up/down toggle that you can use the mouse to drag the page quickly. This isn't working for me, and I don't see anywhere in the options to change this.

Tippecanoe
09-02-2008, 10:23 PM
it'll take me a while to get used to the features, but so far, im loving the speed and the fact its not a memory hog.

DynastyBuilder
09-02-2008, 10:49 PM
it'll take me a while to get used to the features, but so far, im loving the speed and the fact its not a memory hog.

Yup, yup.

Dex
09-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Not Mac compatible? Fuck you Google.

This is what Safari gets for building you into the web browser.

DynastyBuilder
09-02-2008, 11:05 PM

Mac and Linux are coming soon, and I'm eagerly waiting :hungry:

baseline bum
09-03-2008, 12:12 AM

Dude, it's Beta, not a release. Google's software engineers are way too talented to not build a browser that can be successfully ported.

baseline bum
09-03-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm liking it so far.

Question though. The click wheel doesn't seem to be able to use for navigation. In FF, if you click on it, it should give you the up/down toggle that you can use the mouse to drag the page quickly. This isn't working for me, and I don't see anywhere in the options to change this.

I didn't think about it until you brought it up, but that's a feature I liked in Firefox that it would be nice to see them add.

One thing I'd really love to see is for them to add UNIX-style copying and pasting, where you just highlight the text you want to copy and then press the middle mouse button when you want to paste it.... much easier than highlight text, press CTRL-C, click where to paste, then press CTRL-V.

PM5K
09-03-2008, 01:27 AM
I can't say I love it, but maybe somebody needs to teach me to tweak it.

I can't get it to display Google when I open new tabs

For some reason it shows bookmarks in new tabs

I can't right click to refresh

It doesn't ask if I want to close multiple tabs

So that was my five minutes with Chrome.... Maybe they meant to do those things, I don't know...

timvp
09-03-2008, 06:15 AM
So far I like Google Chrome. I'm not sure if I like it better than FF3 yet but the fact that it creates a new process for each tab is huge. If you've ever had one of your FF tabs crash your entire browser, you'd soon realize this way makes a lot more sense.

I'll give it a couple more days before declare a winner.

DynastyBuilder
09-03-2008, 07:42 AM
I can't get it to display Google when I open new tabs

I'm guessing you want to search? Just type your search in the address bar :toast

Sense
09-03-2008, 08:37 AM
So far I like Google Chrome. I'm not sure if I like it better than FF3 yet but the fact that it creates a new process for each tab is huge. If you've ever had one of your FF tabs crash your entire browser, you'd soon realize this way makes a lot more sense.

I'll give it a couple more days before declare a winner.

That's exactly the same way I'm looking at it right now.......

baseline bum
09-03-2008, 09:00 AM
One of my favorite things is that it caches URLs for the domain and not individual pages in the history on the address bar. The one thing it's really missing is the search toolbar in the top right corner that Firefox has, so I can quickly change between searching Google, Wikipedia, and Amazon.com.

MannyIsGod
09-03-2008, 12:30 PM
One of my favorite things is that it caches URLs for the domain and not individual pages in the history on the address bar. The one thing it's really missing is the search toolbar in the top right corner that Firefox has, so I can quickly change between searching Google, Wikipedia, and Amazon.com.

Do they allow you to bookmark searches the same way firefox does? For example I have google bookmarked so when I want to do a search with it I just go to the address bar and type the letter g followed by my string.

IE: "G google chrome" would do a google search for google chrome. I also have dictionary.com (dict) and wikipedia (w) saved that way. It makes searching so damn easy and fast.

leemajors
09-03-2008, 12:42 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chrome-eula-claims-ownership-of-everything-you-create-on-chrome-from-blog-posts-to-emails

MannyIsGod
09-03-2008, 02:53 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chrome-eula-claims-ownership-of-everything-you-create-on-chrome-from-blog-posts-to-emails

WTF. Thats fucked.

lefty
09-03-2008, 02:57 PM
WTF. Thats fucked.

I agree

Fuck Google

DynastyBuilder
09-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Google said "Our bad." Changes EULA.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080903-google-on-chrome-eula-controversy-our-bad-well-change-it.html

Remeber guys this is just the beta, of course there are going to be things that need to be changed... It'll take some time but I like the direction this is going.

jman3000
09-03-2008, 07:11 PM
well... besides basically swapping all my passwords for different sites with each other, i like what i see so far.

DynastyBuilder
09-03-2008, 07:16 PM
well... besides basically swapping all my passwords for different sites with each other, i like what i see so far.

Try this out http://passpack.com/info/home/ (http://passpack.com/info/home/)

also like this, and I keep it on my flash drive

http://cygnusproductions.com/freeware/pc.asp (http://cygnusproductions.com/freeware/pc.asp)

jman3000
09-03-2008, 07:17 PM
and it seems to not respond to my up scrolling on my laptops finger pad... it scrolls down... but not back up...double checked and it works fine in both IE and FF.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2008, 09:49 PM
and it seems to not respond to my up scrolling on my laptops finger pad... it scrolls down... but not back up...double checked and it works fine in both IE and FF.

I have that same problem

Thunder Dan
09-04-2008, 09:50 AM
i like

Sense
09-05-2008, 04:01 AM
I have that same problem

Same here....

Brutalis
09-05-2008, 04:31 AM
Me thinks google is a government tool.

sabar
09-05-2008, 10:58 AM
It is nice. Runs noticeably slower than firefox on old machines though.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-07-2008, 12:49 AM
.............Chrome gets over this problem by spawning a new process for each tab

.............the fact its not a memory hog.

how is that possible?

DynastyBuilder
09-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Me thinks google is a government tool.

You very well could be right... http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/9/google-satellite-now-watching-you-from-423-miles-up

baseline bum
09-07-2008, 01:38 AM
I really like both Chrome and Firefox.

Chrome:
+ Stability via spawning new processes for each tab
+ URL caching by domain name instead of filename
+ great default page with links to my most visited sites
+ browser looks incredibly sharp. Simple, yet elegant.
+ Google has the best software engineers in the world, and Chrome is incredibly impressive for a first iteration of something as complex as a web browser.
+ Open source.
- only the text gets resized when user zooms in/out, which makes layouts look like crap
- steeper memory requirements than FF3

Firefox3:
+ Very good with memory
+ The search box in the upper right corner that allows quick searches of Google/Wikipedia/Amazon.com/eBay/etc is something that's hard to do without once you've used it. Google did not include this as they obviously want you using their search engine.
+ The spell-check and the ease with updating its dictionary are unmatched by its competitors (pretty useful for anyone who uses forums a lot)
+ Possibly the greatest piece of open source software ever written.
- The multiple tabs being stored as part of one process mean it's pretty easy to crash the browser from a slow PDF or bad Java in one tab

After trying Chrome for a few days, I still clearly like Firefox3 above all others. However, I think Chrome will eventually surpass Firefox for browser supremacy, as it is built on some great ideas that made no sense in the Netscape codebase Firefox was born from.

Kori Ellis
09-07-2008, 04:48 AM
I just installed Chrome today, so I haven't done much with it.

But I will say :flipoff to Firefox 3. I recently upgraded to it, and now I can't use a bunch of stuff that I could in the previous version. For example, I use this particular content management system where I should be able to highlight text and then insert a hyperlink, but FF3 screws the URL and turns it into javascript code. So I either have to uninstall FF3 and go back to the old verion, or just use IE6.

Brutalis
09-07-2008, 11:48 AM
You very well could be right... http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/9/google-satellite-now-watching-you-from-423-miles-up

I don't remember exactly, but I know at one time Bush had all Google searches documented or some kind of crap.

lefty
01-04-2009, 03:55 PM
So guys, after a few months, what's your verdict?

koriwhat
01-04-2009, 05:46 PM
safari and sometimes ff3.

DarkReign
01-06-2009, 08:11 AM
I feel like such a noob for using IE.

DynastyBuilder
01-10-2009, 08:29 PM
So guys, after a few months, what's your verdict?

I really like chrome and on my pc it is my default browser, still wish they'd hurry up and release it for my mac so until then I'll go back and forth between FF and Opera.