PDA

View Full Version : Hannity berates Michelle Obama, but nobody can touch Bristol

cool hand
09-02-2008, 12:36 PM
:rolleyes:lmao

101A
09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Michelle Obama gave a speech stumping for her husband in which she made a very unfortunate remark. She speaks in campaign commercials, and at the DNC. She is fair game.

When Bristol host a town hall meeting, let me know.

ChumpDumper
09-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Somebody touched Bristol alright.

cool hand
09-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Michelle Obama gave a speech stumping for her husband in which she made a very unfortunate remark. She speaks in campaign commercials, and at the DNC. She is fair game.

When Bristol host a town hall meeting, let me know.

not really, but keep it up.

ever since alan colmes mentioned john mccain's infidelity on H&C, I haven't heard anything about john edwards from sean lapdogannity. I think we probably won't hear anything else on michelle either. :lmao

101A
09-02-2008, 12:52 PM

ever since alan colmes mentioned john mccain's infidelity on H&C, I haven't heard anything about john edwards from sean lapdogannity. I think we probably won't hear anything else on michelle either. :lmao

Oh, I'm betting "I've never been proud of my country until...." is gonna come up.

John Edwards isn't running for anything, and is utterly disgraced and washed up; his news cycle ended, that was it.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard anything about Gary Hart recently...

Mr. Body
09-02-2008, 12:54 PM

That was one of the biggest OWN-jobs I've ever seen, especially coming from Colmes. If I ever meet Hannity I'll remind him about what a nancy-pants he was. He'll probably be all like, "John McCain who?"

ChumpDumper
09-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Oh, I'm betting "I've never been proud of my country until...." is gonna come up.Especially if it's misquoted like you just did.

whottt
09-02-2008, 12:56 PM
The more Michelle Obama speaks the less people want to vote for her and her husband.

Mr. Peabody
09-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I wonder if Hannity will discuss Palin's membership in a secessionist party.

For all the talk about Barack and Michelle Obama's patriotism, John McCain's running mate was a member of a political party that liked the idea of seceding from the United States altogether. It's the kind of idea that would have been more common in the 1850s.

Advocating secession is, practically by definition, un-American. How does the right go after Obama's patriotism while supporting a ticket with a candidate who joined a secessionist party?

We are, after all, talking about a party founded by a man who said, "I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions." The same man, AIP founder Joe Vogler, also said, "[T]he fires of Hell are glaciers compared to my hate for the American government."

What do you think? Does Hannity get outraged by this attack on the country he claims to love so much? Is Palin a "great American"?

cool hand
09-02-2008, 12:59 PM
I wonder if Hannity will discuss Palin's membership in a secessionist party.

What do you think? Does Hannity get outraged by this attack on the country he claims to love so much? Is Palin a "great American"?

yeah, i wonder if hannity will say things like. "doen't it concern America that Sarah Palin was associated with an Amenrica hater like Joe Vogler, a man who has repeatedly put down the american gov't?"

09-02-2008, 01:00 PM
The more Michelle Obama speaks the less people want to vote for her and her husband.

I hope Bush talks a lot about McCaine tonight. Every time he opens his mouth he makes more and more people want to vote for Obama.

George Gervin's Afro
09-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Sean hannity is a dangerous man.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Especially if it's misquoted like you just did.

"for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country"

Tomato, tomata. Fuck you.

George Gervin's Afro
09-02-2008, 01:02 PM
yeah, i wonder if hannity will say things like. "our it you concerned with Sarah Palin's dealings with Joe Vogler, a man who hates america?"

I wonder if sean will refer to the GOP convention as the 'Abstinence works' convention?

ChumpDumper
09-02-2008, 01:02 PM

You mad?

cool hand
09-02-2008, 01:04 PM

you and your party just plain suck and the sheeple need to leave that party. vote Bob Barr, not John Mcain. If you are a true conservative.

Mr. Body

I'd have to say, this is true for me, too.

George Gervin's Afro

She did clarify her comments.

101A
You mad?

No, not particularly. New month; just got our financials from the CFO - looking good.

Why would you ask?

ChumpDumper
09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
No, not particularly. New month; just got our financials from the CFO - looking good.

Why would you ask?Fuck you.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I'd have to say, this is true for me, too.

What are you proud of now?

101A
09-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Fuck you.

Oh, that.

It's been a while since I told you that...didn't know what the statute of limitations was; wanted to make sure you understood the sentiment is still there.

Mr. Peabody
09-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Sean hannity is a dangerous man.

I agree.

I did prefer your post before you changed it, where you alluded to the fact that his job is to divide America.

It's like that on both sides.

I saw Chuck Todd on MSNBC talking about whether the media, and MSNBC in particular, had focused too much attention on the divisions within the DNC, PUMA, etc. in an effort to generate some excitement into what is a usually routine, overly-scripted event.

09-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Sean Hannity is a "Do as we say, Not as we do" kind of thinker. He blasted Jamie Lynn Spears on her teen pregnancy but now praises Palin's decision. What a damn hypocrite.

Mr. Body
09-02-2008, 01:09 PM
What are you proud of now?

That my country is moving away from the corrupt leadership of Republicans. We are shaking free of those bonds. That a large portion of the population previously uninvolved and distressed with public discourse are now getting involved. That civil society may replace cynicism and cronyism.

This is inspiring and thrilling. I'm sorry you're not along for the ride.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:11 PM
you and your party just plain suck and the sheeple need to leave that party. vote Bob Barr, not John Mcain. If you are a true conservative.

A true conservative that is gonna do all he can do to make damn sure a true liberal doesn't get elected, first and foremost. Voting for Barr would not serve that end; but then I wouldn't expect a liberal such as yourself to grasp that logic; your sort has a serious problem with the entire concept.

clambake
09-02-2008, 01:14 PM
your the owner, right? how many employees?

101A
09-02-2008, 01:15 PM
That my country is moving away from the corrupt leadership of Republicans.

Do you not remember the corrupt leadership of the Democrats?

If I spent my days looking to Washington for a sense of pride in my country, I'd be as bitter, disillusioned and disenfranchised as you seem to be.

Went to Philly and NYC; stopped by West Point; saw an air show...this summer; about a billion things to be proud of in each of those places, and in all the towns I passed as I drove there. Drank some beers with my grandpa's B-17 crew (what's left of them); spent a week with a German family who visited us this summer - and after talking about THEIR country and daily lives; thank the Good Lord for MY country.

I'm proud of my country all the damn time, but almost NEVER because of what happens in Washington fucking D.C.

johnsmith
09-02-2008, 01:16 PM
That my country is moving away from the corrupt leadership of Republicans. We are shaking free of those bonds. That a large portion of the population previously uninvolved and distressed with public discourse are now getting involved. That civil society may replace cynicism and cronyism.

This is inspiring and thrilling. I'm sorry you're not along for the ride.

I'm pretty sure Obama is going to win the election (although I'm not happy about it), so the only thing I'm really all that interested in for November is to see if the above statement is true. Will voter turnout be any different then usual. My guess is no.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:16 PM
your the owner, right? how many employees?

Me and my brother.

clambake
09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Me and my brother.

i think its funny to throw around the title of CFO when discussing such small business.

is this an accountant that requested that title?

johnsmith
09-02-2008, 01:22 PM
i think its funny to throw around the title of CFO when discussing such small business.

Huge a-hole forum.

Mr. Body
09-02-2008, 01:24 PM

If I spent my days looking to Washington for a sense of pride in my country, I'd be as bitter, disillusioned and disenfranchised as you seem to be.

Went to Philly and NYC; stopped by West Point; saw an air show...this summer; about a billion things to be proud of in each of those places, and in all the towns I passed as I drove there. Drank some beers with my grandpa's B-17 crew (what's left of them); spent a week with a German family who visited us this summer - and after talking about THEIR country and daily lives; thank the Good Lord for MY country.

I'm proud of my country all the damn time, but almost NEVER because of what happens in Washington fucking D.C.

One thing I care about is the Constitution. Don't know if you do, but it's been warped and degraded quite a bit in the last eight years. The Executive has been accumulating powers and civil rights have been intruded upon. If there's one thing I know about Obama is that of all candidates - Clinton and McCain included - he was the only one liable to roll those gains back. As a Constitutional scholar, and judging by his briefs and opinions, he believes in strong checks and balances.

See, I love the way the Framers and Founders put together this country. I hate crony-capitalism, no matter which party does it. And yes, I care what happens in Washington, because that happens to be our nation's capital. The Bush-Cheney years were a deep insult to all of us -- regardless of whether you think so or not -- and are years I will never forget. I want to be proud of this country. Together we can, again.

cool hand
09-02-2008, 01:25 PM
A true conservative that is gonna do all he can do to make damn sure a true liberal doesn't get elected, first and foremost. Voting for Barr would not serve that end; but then I wouldn't expect a liberal such as yourself to grasp that logic; your sort has a serious problem with the entire concept.

not really, I voted for Ron Paul....out of principle. you should vote on princple and let the chips fall as they may. Or does being principled escape your logic.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:25 PM

Actually a fair question.

Nope; but my clients like to see that we have one; our business is all about cash and money flow; at any one time we have millions of dollars of OTHER people's money in our care; wouldn't need a CFO for my own company's books.

George Gervin's Afro
09-02-2008, 01:26 PM

So let me get this staright a 'true conservative' doesn't vote for 'true conservatives' rather they vote against liberals.

Am I correct in interpreting your logic?

cool hand
09-02-2008, 01:28 PM
:lol ^

Mr. Body
09-02-2008, 01:29 PM
A true conservative that is gonna do all he can do to make damn sure a true liberal doesn't get elected, first and foremost.

This is very childish. If the Dems atrophy and grow corrupt in the next decade or two, I will go elsewhere. I'm not attached via umbilical cord to some stupid party. A degree of fiscal conservation is very, very smart; but only one party shows any signs of balancing a budget and paying for what it spends. And that is not the Republican party - and really has not been for almost three decades now.

If you're a social conservative, then I really don't care. The idea of curtailing another person's rights because of what I believe is frankly unAmerican and odious to me.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:31 PM
One thing I care about is the Constitution. Don't know if you do, but it's been warped and degraded quite a bit in the last eight years. The Executive has been accumulating powers and civil rights have been intruded upon. If there's one thing I know about Obama is that of all candidates - Clinton and McCain included - he was the only one liable to roll those gains back. As a Constitutional scholar, and judging by his briefs and opinions, he believes in strong checks and balances.

See, I love the way the Framers and Founders put together this country. I hate crony-capitalism, no matter which party does it. And yes, I care what happens in Washington, because that happens to be our nation's capital. The Bush-Cheney years were a deep insult to all of us -- regardless of whether you think so or not -- and are years I will never forget. I want to be proud of this country. Together we can, again.

The constitution has been warped and degraded since John Marshall, friend. I didn't say I didn't pay attention to what happens in Washington; I said I wasn't proud of what happens in Washington.

George Bush isn't running for election? But, go ahead, keep running against Bush, and I hope Obama does, as well; then ALL McCain has to do is distance HIMSELF, and the election is in the bag. There isn't a Republican in Washington that is better positioned to do just that; he's been a thorn in the Administration's side, after all.

cool hand
09-02-2008, 01:32 PM
This is very childish. If the Dems atrophy and grow corrupt in the next decade or two, I will go elsewhere. I'm not attached via umbilical cord to some stupid party. A degree of fiscal conservation is very, very smart; but only one party shows any signs of balancing a budget and paying for what it spends. And that is not the Republican party - and really has not been for almost three decades now.

If you're a social conservative, then I really don't care. The idea of curtailing another person's rights because of what I believe is frankly unAmerican and odious to me.

indeed, the bushies had the congress, the presidency, and the supreme court and still abortion is legal. the GOP has failed and they must go. I was a republican, but since they can't seem to do anything about aboriton they have lost their cred with me. I will vote democrat this year.

clambake
09-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Actually a fair question.

Nope; but my clients like to see that we have one; our business is all about cash and money flow; at any one time we have millions of dollars of OTHER people's money in our care; wouldn't need a CFO for my own company's books.

:lol@ some of the smoke and mirrors we use to impress the impressionable.:toast

ChumpDumper
09-02-2008, 01:34 PM
The constitution has been warped and degraded since John Marshall, friend. I didn't say I didn't pay attention to what happens in Washington; I said I wasn't proud of what happens in Washington.

George Bush isn't running for election? But, go ahead, keep running against Bush, and I hope Obama does, as well; then ALL McCain has to do is distance HIMSELF, and the election is in the bag. There isn't a Republican in Washington that is better positioned to do just that; he's been a thorn in the Administration's side, after all.So all McCain needs to do is flip-flop again?

Spurminator
09-02-2008, 01:35 PM
I can see why someone in a swing state would vote for the lesser of two evils from the major parties. On the other hand, the threat of third party votes losing swing states for one of the major parties would help influence party direction in future elections.

cool hand
:lol@ some of the smoke and mirrors we use to impress the impressionable.:toast

I know, I could list all the great things I have accomplished and accumulated in my life, but I am not narccistic or egotistical. so I will let these little shmuks do it.

101A

I'd take a Republican Congress and Dem in the White House, frankly; THAT is the recipe that worked. Gingrich doesn't get enough credit for holding the line on budgets during the 90's, frankly. Him stepping out on his wife, coupled with impeaching Clinton hurt a lot.

If you think Barrack, Pelosi and Reed are gonna turn out budgets that look anything like Clinton, Gingrich and Lott; you're delusional.

You aren't gonna curtail anyone's rights? Really? If I don't like black people, can I not let them in my store? There are some rights that need to be curtailed, and most of us agree on them...the rest we discuss and come to a consensus - or argue about them forever, but that is the nature of the beast.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:39 PM
So all McCain needs to do is flip-flop again?

I haven't seen the McCain add where he glorifies the current administration. I haven't seen him defend over and over all of the administration's actions. McCain talks about himself, and his positions - some are the same as Bush's, some are different.

Mr. Body
09-02-2008, 01:40 PM
You aren't gonna curtail anyone's rights? Really? If I don't like black people, can I not let them in my store? There are some rights that need to be curtailed, and most of us agree on them...the rest we discuss and come to a consensus - or argue about them forever, but that is the nature of the beast.

Specious argument and you know it.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:41 PM
So let me get this staright a 'true conservative' doesn't vote for 'true conservatives' rather they vote against liberals.

Am I correct in interpreting your logic?

Yeah, pretty close.

Gonna vote for the most conservative person who has a shot at getting elected.

Don't remember if you were one of them, but there were several Hillary supporters on the board; are they gonna write her in?

101A
09-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Specious argument and you know it.

Not 45 years ago it wasn't.

It was a right to not let people in your store based on any number of factors including race. It is a right that no longer exists, and shouldn't have existed. People had strong feelings on both sides, and I have a feeling the argument you made, about not wanting to dictate to other people what they can or cannot do, was made by some very hateful bigots trying to take the moral high road when they had no right to it.

cool hand
09-02-2008, 01:46 PM
new gallup poll

obama hits 50%

obama 50
mcain 42

Mr. Body
09-02-2008, 01:47 PM
God, you have a talent for trying to weasel out of an argument. You know there are still civil rights, correct? And this government has been infringing upon them in the name of 'security', along with their financial corruption, bureaucratic corruption, disgusting transformation of the Executive, development of signing statements, employment of the intelligence services for their own agendas, politicization of almost every wing of government, and prosecution of an illegal, unneeded war.

Amen.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:49 PM
I know, I could list all the great things I have accomplished and accumulated in my life, but I am not narccistic or egotistical. so I will let these little shmuks do it.

I know much about many posters on this forum; their jobs, their families, and their successes. The political forum is usually just a handful at a time - reasonably active, but not like it is during a campaign run. Sorry if you took my post, and the follow ups from questions that came from it as Hubris; it was not intended as such.

As much as I don't derive pride in my country from D.C., I don't build self esteem on a discussion forum. (Instead, I pay people to walk behind me and whisper how great I am).

cool hand
09-02-2008, 01:52 PM
thanks for proving my point.

JoeChalupa
09-02-2008, 01:55 PM
Hannity is so one sided he can't even bear to give credit to a democrat.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:55 PM
God, you have a talent for trying to weasel out of an argument. You know there are still civil rights, correct? And this government has been infringing upon them in the name of 'security', along with their financial corruption, bureaucratic corruption, disgusting transformation of the Executive, development of signing statements, employment of the intelligence services for their own agendas, politicization of almost every wing of government, and prosecution of an illegal, unneeded war.

Amen.

I thought we were talking about abortion.

As for the list, why haven't the Dems done anything about all of that. Why haven't powerful people been brought up on charges. Impeachment hearings, etc..... I hear all of these accusations 24/7 from the left, but YOU GUYS aren't doing anything about it, are they? Could it be that it's not ACTUALLY that different from how any administration behaves, that you have bought into the rhetoric hook, line and sinker?

I know, you can link a billion blogs, stories, etc... that back up what you believe and think has happened (hell, we could just look at threads Dan has started). But, seriously, what has happened in your life, specifically, that is a direct indication of a withering of rights? It might help you step back from the ledge; because in your current state, if McCain wins, you're gonna jump.

BTW, there is a well-respected poster on this board who has a real, honest to god story to tell about his rights being infringed since 9/11 - and it IS sobering.

whottt
09-02-2008, 01:56 PM
I hope Bush talks a lot about McCaine tonight. Every time he opens his mouth he makes more and more people want to vote for Obama.

False..Bush is going out and everyone knows it. Every outgoing President gets a nostalgia bump. Even the bad ones.

Whereas Michelle Obama is someone people are going to have to listen to for the next 4 years if Obama is elected.

Not the same dynamic.

JoeChalupa
09-02-2008, 01:57 PM
False..Bush is going out and everyone knows it. Every outgoing President gets a nostalgia bump. Even the bad ones.

Whereas Michelle Obama is someone people are going to have to listen to for the next 4 years if Obama is elected.

Not the same dynamic.

I'd much rather listen to her than Bush speak. But he does make for great comedy material.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:59 PM
indeed, the bushies had the congress, the presidency, and the supreme court and still abortion is legal. the GOP has failed and they must go. I was a republican, but since they can't seem to do anything about aboriton they have lost their cred with me. I will vote democrat this year.

I just read this one. What did you want Bush and "the Republicans" to do about abortion, exactly? Do you know why they couldn't?

Do you know how the U.S. government works?

cool hand
09-02-2008, 02:06 PM
I just read this one. What did you want Bush and "the Republicans" to do about abortion, exactly? Do you know why they couldn't?

Do you know how the U.S. government works?

idiot, they didn't do anything. BOTTOM FUCKING LINE.......and now they must go. see ya in 8 years losers.

boo_radley
09-02-2008, 02:10 PM
The more Michelle Obama speaks the less people want to vote for her and her husband.That's just completely wrong-headed

101A
09-02-2008, 02:12 PM
idiot, they didn't do anything. BOTTOM FUCKING LINE.......and now they must go. see ya in 8 years losers.

Ok.

Bye.

whottt
09-02-2008, 02:13 PM
That's just completely wrong-headed

Well what do you expect? I'm a racist.

JoeChalupa
09-02-2008, 02:17 PM

:lol

Wild Cobra
09-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Come on.

Are you libtards really that stupid?

She is out there making speeches and campaigning. That makes her fair game.

Typical libtrads... Always wanting a free ride.

Mr. Peabody
09-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Come on.

So does Cindy and yet, some in here were upset, saying Obama was attacking Cindy's wealth and that Cindy should be left out of it. Response?

Wild Cobra
09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
So does Cindy and yet, some in here were upset, saying Obama was attacking Cindy's wealth and that Cindy should be left out of it. Response?

At least have discourse of what Cindy says and of her deeds. Not her financial status. The 'fair game' against Michelle is about what she says and does publically!

Mr. Peabody
09-02-2008, 03:21 PM
At least have discourse of what Cindy says and of her deeds. Not her financial status. The 'fair game' against Michelle is about what she says and does publically!

Right, but the attack wasn't on her, even if that's how people here tried to paint it. It was on what McCain said or more to the point, couldn't say.

Wild Cobra
09-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Right, but the attack wasn't on her, even if that's how people here tried to paint it. It was on what McCain said or more to the point, couldn't say.

I don't care.

Taking as big of a part in his campaign as she is, she should expect to be fair game. Period. No if, ands, or butts!

Mr. Peabody
09-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't care.

Taking as big of a part in his campaign as she is, she should expect to be fair game. Period. No if, ands, or butts!

+1

JoeChalupa
09-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Come on.

So has Cindy McCain so bring it on!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!

DarkReign
09-02-2008, 04:38 PM

Amen.

I have always said, I love my country but detest my government.

As much as I don't derive pride in my country from D.C., I don't build self esteem on a discussion forum. (Instead, I pay people to walk behind me and whisper how great I am).

I had to include this via edit. :lmao

Anti.Hero
09-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Too bad the daughter can't hide for a month, turn into pretty pretty robot, and be a typical white black person all of a sudden.

Oh well :(

Mr. Peabody
09-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Too bad the daughter can't hide for a month, turn into pretty pretty robot, and be a typical white black person all of a sudden.

WTF....?:lmao

Holt's Cat
09-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Obama and Biden say children should be off limits, so that should be enough.

Mr. Body
09-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Republicans will never do a damn thing to reverse Roe v. Wade. It's an electoral goldmine to promise to do something and never do it. It's been more than 30 years!

DarkReign
09-02-2008, 04:50 PM

Maybe youre not gtown....maybe youre just an ignorant douchebag who runs around with reaching generalizations and scathing black comedy that no one finds funny but you and your ilk.

At least G had a point. You just have stigma.

DarkReign
09-02-2008, 04:56 PM
BTW, to stay on topic, I personally feel (like you peeps give a shit) that this whole Bristol pregnancy buisness is bullshit.

So what? She made her bed and now shes living with it. Why it has to be a big to-do is beyond me, personally.

On the other hand...

I can see how this hurts McCain in a big way. It hurts his campaign at a time when his VP nomination should have boosted it. And it did boost it.....for about 12 hours. Then pregnancy, then (stupid fucking name, btw....we have to get over this "scandal"-gate crap) Troopergate....whats next?

If I were McCain, Id be all pissed off about now.

But then again, its better to have this shit over and done with before the real meat of the presidential trail starts. Might as well air your laundry at a point where you have time to ease the fall.

Ultimately, is this a gamebreaker? Hell no. There is entirely too much time between now and November where something like this will be long forgotten (again, I dont understand what the big fucking deal is anyway....teenage pregnancy, guess what, it happens).

Mr. Peabody
09-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Ultimately, is this a gamebreaker? Hell no. There is entirely too much time between now and November where something like this will be long forgotten (again, I dont understand what the big fucking deal is anyway....teenage pregnancy, guess what, it happens).

I agree. It's not a gamebreaker. This is like the William Ayers issue for Obama, house issue for McCain, Bankruptcy Bill issue for Biden etc. These are only big issues to dorks like me and others that post on political message boards and watch CNN/MSNBC/Fox News regularly. In other words, it only really matters to those who

Most people could give a crap about most of these issues.

Wild Cobra
09-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Most people could give a crap about most of these issues.
Most people know nothing more than the headlines and what they are spoon fed by the liberal media. I believe if the media would treat both candidates the same, Obama wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell.

Biernutz
09-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Hannity is so one sided he can't even bear to give credit to a democrat.

I guess we are lucky to have the voice of reason Keith Olbermann. Everyone knows that Keith is "fair and balanced". MSNBC should be called DNCMSNBC

Extra Stout
09-02-2008, 06:20 PM
I guess we are lucky to have the voice of reason Keith Olbermann. Everyone knows that Keith is "fair and balanced".

"It wasn't a speech; it was a symphony." There is a point where bias turns into syncophancy. When Olbermann turns around, he can no longer see that spot on the horizon.

cool hand
09-02-2008, 06:26 PM
MSNBC AND FOXNEWS have no credibility at all. It is not wise to take anything these two networks say as serious. CNN is liberal, but at least they give guys like Lou Dobbs and Glenn Beck their own shows.

Biernutz
09-02-2008, 06:34 PM
MSNBC AND FOXNEWS have no credibility at all. It is not wise to take anything these two networks say as serious. CNN is liberal, but at least they give guys like Lou Dobbs and Glenn Beck their own shows.You can add NBC,CBS, ABC, and CNN. Like you said CNN is liberal.

cool hand
09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I guess the best news networks are PBS and Bloomberg.

Biernutz
09-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I consider all print media story's as commentary. You can tell the political leanings of the author in the first sentence.

Wild Cobra
09-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I consider all print media story's as commentary. You can tell the political leanings of the author in the first sentence.

Normally in the first paragraph I would say. They are sometimes more subtle than that.

romad_20
09-02-2008, 07:27 PM
I've always wondered about this liberal media thing. If the media is so liberal on whole, why hasn't anything changed. Wouldn't the bias of the media sway with the attitude of the country? The media on a whole has failed in its duty to the American people to question the leaders on this country in a tough way on the issues but I really don't think its this giant liberal machine that the ghost of Walter Mondale is running somewhere. I respect one person on CNN and that's David Gergan. The rest on all the other networks are bullshit.

boo_radley
09-02-2008, 07:29 PM

Well at least you realize that

Ocotillo
09-02-2008, 07:50 PM
I've always wondered about this liberal media thing. If the media is so liberal on whole, why hasn't anything changed. Wouldn't the bias of the media sway with the attitude of the country? The media on a whole has failed in its duty to the American people to question the leaders on this country in a tough way on the issues but I really don't think its this giant liberal machine that the ghost of Walter Mondale is running somewhere. I respect one person on CNN and that's David Gergan. The rest on all the other networks are bullshit.

The liberal media is one of the great lies of our time. It is a brilliant tactic employed by conservatives for decades. Since we are on a Spurs board, liken it to working the refs.

Conservatives complain all the time about the Washington Post, NY Times, CNN, MSNBC, pretty much everyone except Fox, Drudge and hate radio. This results in the lazy mopes that work in the media trying to "balance" their stories. There is no balance in truth though which is what they should be trying to present.

When William Jefferson gets caught with cash in his freezer, there is no balance to the story, he was/is a crook and got caught.

When Scooter Libby lies to a Grand Jury and is convicted of Obstruction of Justice, there is no balance to be sought out, just some political hack was covering for higher ups and it caught up with him.

I don't think the press is liberal or conservative, I think they are lazy and full of themselves.

cool hand
09-02-2008, 09:29 PM
The liberal media is one of the great lies of our time. It is a brilliant tactic employed by conservatives for decades. Since we are on a Spurs board, liken it to working the refs.

Conservatives complain all the time about the Washington Post, NY Times, CNN, MSNBC, pretty much everyone except Fox, Drudge and hate radio. This results in the lazy mopes that work in the media trying to "balance" their stories. There is no balance in truth though which is what they should be trying to present.

When William Jefferson gets caught with cash in his freezer, there is no balance to the story, he was/is a crook and got caught.

When Scooter Libby lies to a Grand Jury and is convicted of Obstruction of Justice, there is no balance to be sought out, just some political hack was covering for higher ups and it caught up with him.

I don't think the press is liberal or conservative, I think they are lazy and full of themselves.

on target.

DarkReign
09-03-2008, 09:02 AM
I've always wondered about this liberal media thing. If the media is so liberal on whole, why hasn't anything changed. Wouldn't the bias of the media sway with the attitude of the country?

See, thats the catch. The term "liberal media" is normally used by a conservative to delineate themselves from the "mainstream".

A conservative would argue that yes, the majority of media is liberal. But its us truly educated and open-minded conservatives that bring balance to an otherwise unbalanced system.

Which is complete bullshit. Its a platform used to feel superior to others, to make them a part of the clique, and to impart upon them a stance in any argument that can never truly be refuted.

When in doubt, attack the source. And if, by that logic, all the media is liberal....well, then no one has an argument against you and your ideals.

Liberal media is a term used by the weak, who cant argue beyond political partisanship. The moment any issue falls outside the scope of their moral compass, they rely on their leadership to tell them what they should think. When that party-line comes, its Bible. And any one who says differently is a communist/socialist/antichrist/member of the liberal media.

My opinion anyway.

As an aside, Im not as naivι to think there isnt a liberal news outlet/newspaper/television station. There most certainly is (MSNBC, NYT, for starters). But its as if the conservatives think every news outlet is biased liberal rubbish. And it just isnt true. Its just that at varying times, 40-50% of the country doesnt agree with them, and at varying times 40-50% of the country doesnt agree with liberals.

(I'll have to finish this later)

Spurminator
09-03-2008, 09:26 AM
The liberal media has been replaced by a polarizing media where news is less and less about reporting and more about analysis and reaction. Particularly on cable.

But there was a legitimate gripe at the turn of the century regarding the liberal skew of the media. It was exaggerated by conservatives, but there were certainly enough examples of impartiality in the media to cause people to buy into the idea that their ideology was under attack.

Oh, Gee!!
09-03-2008, 09:46 AM
I guess the best news networks are PBS and Bloomberg.

I get all my news from sportscenter

Spurminator
09-03-2008, 09:49 AM
I get all my news from SpursTalk.

Oh, Gee!!
09-03-2008, 09:50 AM
I get all my news from Xray

Spurminator
09-03-2008, 09:52 AM
20 emails forwarded per day, I'd imagine?

Oh, Gee!!
09-03-2008, 09:59 AM
FWD: Why Obama is Bad for America.

JoeChalupa
09-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm normally a level headed guy but last night I really wanted to bitch slap Sean Hannity.

101A
09-03-2008, 11:04 AM
http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/Media-Bias-Is-Real-Finds-UCLA-6664.aspx?RelNum=6664

Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist

By Meg Sullivan
| 12/14/2005 5:36:31 PM

While the editorial page of The Wall Street Journal is conservative, the newspaper's news pages are liberal, even more liberal than The New York Times. The Drudge Report may have a right-wing reputation, but it leans left. Coverage by public television and radio is conservative compared to the rest of the mainstream media. Meanwhile, almost all major media outlets tilt to the left.
These are just a few of the surprising findings from a UCLA-led study, which is believed to be the first successful attempt at objectively quantifying bias in a range of media outlets and ranking them accordingly.
"I suspected that many media outlets would tilt to the left because surveys have shown that reporters tend to vote more Democrat than Republican," said Tim Groseclose, a UCLA political scientist and the study's lead author. "But I was surprised at just how pronounced the distinctions are."
"Overall, the major media outlets are quite moderate compared to members of Congress, but even so, there is a quantifiable and significant bias in that nearly all of them lean to the left," said co‑author Jeffrey Milyo, University of Missouri economist and public policy scholar.
The results appear in the latest issue of the Quarterly Journal of Economics, which will become available in mid-December.
Groseclose and Milyo based their research on a standard gauge of a lawmaker's support for liberal causes. Americans for Democratic Action (ADA) tracks the percentage of times that each lawmaker votes on the liberal side of an issue. Based on these votes, the ADA assigns a numerical score to each lawmaker, where "100" is the most liberal and "0" is the most conservative. After adjustments to compensate for disproportionate representation that the Senate gives to low‑population states and the lack of representation for the District of Columbia, the average ADA score in Congress (50.1) was assumed to represent the political position of the average U.S. voter.
Groseclose and Milyo then directed 21 research assistants — most of them college students — to scour U.S. media coverage of the past 10 years. They tallied the number of times each media outlet referred to think tanks and policy groups, such as the left-leaning NAACP or the right-leaning Heritage Foundation.
Next, they did the same exercise with speeches of U.S. lawmakers. If a media outlet displayed a citation pattern similar to that of a lawmaker, then Groseclose and Milyo's method assigned both a similar ADA score.
"A media person would have never done this study," said Groseclose, a UCLA political science professor, whose research and teaching focuses on the U.S. Congress. "It takes a Congress scholar even to think of using ADA scores as a measure. And I don't think many media scholars would have considered comparing news stories to congressional speeches."
Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center, with CBS' "Evening News," The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news pages of The Wall Street Journal.
Only Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and The Washington Times scored right of the average U.S. voter.
The most centrist outlet proved to be the "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer." CNN's "NewsNight With Aaron Brown" and ABC's "Good Morning America" were a close second and third.
"Our estimates for these outlets, we feel, give particular credibility to our efforts, as three of the four moderators for the 2004 presidential and vice-presidential debates came from these three news outlets — Jim Lehrer, Charlie Gibson and Gwen Ifill," Groseclose said. "If these newscasters weren't centrist, staffers for one of the campaign teams would have objected and insisted on other moderators."
The fourth most centrist outlet was "Special Report With Brit Hume" on Fox News, which often is cited by liberals as an egregious example of a right-wing outlet. While this news program proved to be right of center, the study found ABC's "World News Tonight" and NBC's "Nightly News" to be left of center. All three outlets were approximately equidistant from the center, the report found.
"If viewers spent an equal amount of time watching Fox's 'Special Report' as ABC's 'World News' and NBC's 'Nightly News,' then they would receive a nearly perfectly balanced version of the news," said Milyo, an associate professor of economics and public affairs at the University of Missouri at Columbia.
Five news outlets — "NewsHour With Jim Lehrer," ABC's "Good Morning America," CNN's "NewsNight With Aaron Brown," Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and the Drudge Report — were in a statistical dead heat in the race for the most centrist news outlet. Of the print media, USA Today was the most centrist.
An additional feature of the study shows how each outlet compares in political orientation with actual lawmakers. The news pages of The Wall Street Journal scored a little to the left of the average American Democrat, as determined by the average ADA score of all Democrats in Congress (85 versus 84). With scores in the mid-70s, CBS' "Evening News" and The New York Times looked similar to Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn., who has an ADA
score of 74. Most of the outlets were less liberal than Lieberman but more liberal than former Sen. John Breaux, D-La. Those media outlets included the Drudge Report, ABC's "World News Tonight," NBC's "Nightly News," USA Today, NBC's "Today Show," Time magazine, U.S. News & World Report, Newsweek, NPR's "Morning Edition," CBS' "Early Show" and The Washington Post.
Since Groseclose and Milyo were more concerned with bias in news reporting than opinion pieces, which are designed to stake a political position, they omitted editorials and Op‑Eds from their tallies. This is one reason their study finds The Wall Street Journal more liberal than conventional wisdom asserts.
Another finding that contradicted conventional wisdom was that the Drudge Report was slightly left of center.
"One thing people should keep in mind is that our data for the Drudge Report was based almost entirely on the articles that the Drudge Report lists on other Web sites," said Groseclose. "Very little was based on the stories that Matt Drudge himself wrote. The fact that the Drudge Report appears left of center is merely a reflection of the overall bias of the media."
Yet another finding that contradicted conventional wisdom relates to National Public Radio, often cited by conservatives as an egregious example of a liberal news outlet. But according to the UCLA-University of Missouri study, it ranked eighth most liberal of the 20 that the study examined.
"By our estimate, NPR hardly differs from the average mainstream news outlet," Groseclose said. "Its score is approximately equal to those of Time, Newsweek and U.S. News & World Report and its score is slightly more conservative than The Washington Post's. If anything, government‑funded outlets in our sample have a slightly lower average ADA score (61), than the private outlets in our sample (62.8)."
The researchers took numerous steps to safeguard against bias — or the appearance of same — in the work, which took close to three years to complete. They went to great lengths to ensure that as many research assistants supported Democratic candidate Al Gore in the 2000 election as supported President George Bush. They also sought no outside funding, a rarity in scholarly research.
"No matter the results, we feared our findings would've been suspect if we'd received support from any group that could be perceived as right- or left-leaning, so we consciously decided to fund this project only with our own salaries and research funds that our own universities provided," Groseclose said.
The results break new ground.
"Past researchers have been able to say whether an outlet is conservative or liberal, but no one has ever compared media outlets to lawmakers," Groseclose said. "Our work gives a precise characterization of the bias and relates it to known commodity — politicians."
-UCLA-

JoeChalupa
09-03-2008, 11:09 AM
That's it I'm sold.

romad_20
09-03-2008, 12:14 PM
My point is the "right" complains about the news but wins elections. Cable news is supposed to be about ratings, so if the "right" is popular enough to win elections shouldn't the Liberal media slant toward their view in order to get higher ratings? It's all so confusing

romad_20
09-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I also remeber Bill Clinton having a huge issue with the media, but don't recall him calling them liberal.......Still very confused.

Wild Cobra
09-03-2008, 06:20 PM
I also remeber Bill Clinton having a huge issue with the media, but don't recall him calling them liberal.......Still very confused.
The media if first and foremost about sensationalism and selling their works. However, when they become involved in political issues, the bias becomes clear. There are some issues they simply cannot ignore from their favored party.

Think about it. The media in general will jump on any story badmouthing a republican without verifying the truth. They word the story carefully so that they are not making up facts. They have "unnamed sources" or put the facts in certain order often leaving the important ones near the end of a long story, past the point the reader continues to read. When it comes to democrats. They refuse to print degrading stories until the truth is undeniable.

How many stories about republicans later have retractions?

How many stories about democrats later have retractions?

Keep a tally sometime.

Nbadan
09-03-2008, 06:33 PM
hink about it. The media in general will jump on any story badmouthing a republican without verifying the truth.

:lol Ayers and Pastor Wright remind sound familiar to you? and...why isn't the 'big, bad liberal media' talking about Palin's connections to a fringe Alaska independence group who's leader once publicly 'damned America'? hmmm....how many KOS writers have their own shows on CNN..aka.....Joe Scarbrough and Glenn Beck again? If news shows aren't to the right of Pat Buchanan, wing-nuts get their panties in a wad....

romad_20
09-03-2008, 06:41 PM
On this liberal media bias, I just saw on Fox News that they are now reporting on Palin's support of the bridge to nowhere in the beginning (220 million that they kept for road projects after the tide turned on the project) and, OMG, that she included many earmarks for her town and hired lobbyists to get them in washington from a committee that Ted Stevens chaired. Hmmm even fox is liberal now. :depressed Is there nowhere the right can turn in these horrible times.

I think the point is sometimes you're on the right side of the story, and sometimes you're not, but the Media is there to piss off the establishment from both sides and keep them honest. I don't think they do the best job but when someone is mad, they are doing something.

Wild Cobra
09-03-2008, 07:01 PM
:lol Ayers and Pastor Wright remind sound familiar to you? and...why isn't the 'big, bad liberal media' talking about Palin's connections to a fringe Alaska independence group who's leader once publicly 'damned America'? hmmm....how many KOS writers have their own shows on CNN..aka.....Joe Scarbrough and Glenn Beck again? If news shows aren't to the right of Pat Buchanan, wing-nuts get their panties in a wad....

Thing is Dan, they didn't touch the subject until they couldn't deny it any longer. Stpries in conservative talk radio must have been going on for at least six weeks before CNN and others addressed it. Then when they did, they took the quotes from Wright that were less damning, not playing ther real bad stuff. Same basic thing with Ayers. They didn't cover the really bad stuff, and they downplayed the connections.