PDA

View Full Version : Tax Fairness (libs will like)

2centsworth
09-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm an equal opportunity basher. I'm totally against the welfare state, but it has come to my attention that the top 1-5% of tax payers aren't paying their fair share of taxes.

When looking at tax fairness I always look at percentages instead of dollar amounts. In fact, the biggest complaint by the republicans is that the libs always look at dollar amounts which distort reality. The link below shows that the top 1% of income earners pay 20% of their income in taxes and that the next 24% pays 68% of income in taxes.

I'm calling for an immediate tax increase in the name of fairness. Am I wrong?

apparently the middle to upper middle class is getting raped.

http://www.atr.org/content/pdf/2008/August/081408ot-federalincometaxandwhattheypay.pdf

cool hand
09-02-2008, 12:48 PM
yeah, I make about $115,000 a year and I get raked over the coals every year. I will be voting for Obama.

2centsworth
09-02-2008, 12:54 PM
yeah, I make about $115,000 a year and I get raked over the coals every year. I will be voting for Obama.

the only party that's given you relief ever has been the republcians, note the Bush tax cuts.

btw, i read that link wrong. The top 1% are more than paying their fair share.

Extra Stout
09-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm an equal opportunity basher. I'm totally against the welfare state, but it has come to my attention that the top 1-5% of tax payers aren't paying their fair share of taxes.

When looking at tax fairness I always look at percentages instead of dollar amounts. In fact, the biggest complaint by the republicans is that the libs always look at dollar amounts which distort reality. The link below shows that the top 1% of income earners pay 20% of their income in taxes and that the next 24% pays 68% of income in taxes.

http://www.atr.org/content/pdf/2008/August/081408ot-federalincometaxandwhattheypay.pdf
You read that wrong. That report does not show that the top 25% is paying 68% of its income in taxes. It is showing that the top 25% earns 68% of all income.

101A
09-02-2008, 12:58 PM

Read the chart again; The top 1% make 18% of the income; but pay 39% of the taxes.

The rest of the data proves that the tax code is plenty "progressive", with the least valuable (I'm tired of "working class" - I work my ass off) among us getting what amounts to a free ride.

ChumpDumper
09-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Read the chart again; The top 1% make 18% of the income; but pay 39% of the taxes.

The rest of the data proves that the tax code is plenty "progressive", with the least valuable (I'm tired of "working class" - I work my ass off) among us getting what amounts to a free ride.:lol Let the class warfare begin!

101A
09-02-2008, 01:03 PM
:lol Let the class warfare begin!

I'm pretty sure the Dems have been fighting that war non stop for quite a while now.

ChumpDumper
09-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the Dems have been fighting that war non stop for quite a while now.And you haven't :rolleyes

Spurminator
09-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Why is the SS tax capped at the first $102,000 of income?

101A
09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
And you haven't :rolleyes

Sure, it's brilliant strategy in a Democracy to alienate vast majority by deriding and declaring war on them.

No, I'm pretty sure that tactic is the exclusive dominion of a "tax break for 95% of you" Dems. Or the "make sure the most fortunate pay their fair share"; but never say HOW much those "most fortunate" ALREADY pay.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Why is the SS tax capped at the first $102,000 of income?

Because SS was originally designed to be a fund of individual accounts, with a cap on payments; it was not designed to be a tax into a general fund; but it is becoming more and more like that in action, and as I see from you question, in perception, as well.

101A
09-02-2008, 01:22 PM
And the cap has been going up for years; at the turn of the century is was around 80K.

Wild Cobra
09-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Because SS was originally designed to be a fund of individual accounts, with a cap on payments; it was not designed to be a tax into a general fund; but it is becoming more and more like that in action, and as I see from you question, in perception, as well.
Because liberals (and even the rest of Washington DC) treat it as a tax instead of an insurance like it is suppose to be, that's why I say rename it as a Social Tax and any increases of decreases are made there, where every wage earner then pays and thinks about it when politicians want to raise taxes.

Yes, if this is done, do away with the cap. Make it on all income.

Wild Cobra
09-02-2008, 03:04 PM

Yes, you are wrong. First of all, you must be reading the link wrong. It says that the top 1% pays 40% of the income taxes while earning 22% of the income. Now the 68% you see includes the 22%. To look at it right, looking at the 25% to 2%, you must also subtract the 22% from the 68% which equals 44%. Now they pay the 86% - the 40% paid by the 1%, or 46%.

Ratios:

1% class pays 40% from 22% or a ratio of 1.82:1. The 25% class excluding the 1% class pays 46% from 44% of the income or a 1.05:1 ratio.

Looks like the top 1% gets hit pretty hard, comparable, to me.

Now take the middleclass. The top 50% minus the top 25%. They pay 17% of the tax burden from 19.5% of the wages. That is a 0.87:1 ratio. When we look at the bottom 50%, 3% of the taxes from 12.5% of the income, or a ratio of 0.24:1.

Recap of tax to income ratio:

top 1% is________1.82:1
5% minus 1% is___1.33:1
10% minus 5% is__1.10:1
25% minus 10% is_0.71:1
50% minus 25% is_0.56:1
bottom 50% is____0.24:1

I'm sorry. but in my eyes, a fair tax system would be a ratio of 1:1. Then everyone pays their fair share.

101A
09-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm sorry. but in my eyes, a fair tax system would be a ratio of 1:1. Then everyone pays their fair share.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury."

- de Tocqueville

Wild Cobra
09-02-2008, 03:16 PM
"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover they can vote themselves largess out of the public treasury."

- de Tocqueville
Exactly.

The libtards keep wanting to get to that point where 50% and more pay no taxes. What will happen to this nation then?