PDA

View Full Version : Roger Mason PPG While Manu is MIA

Brutalis
09-02-2008, 04:17 PM
ST is boring. 56 days could not come fast enough for NBA forums at this time of the year.

So what do you think RMJr will get points wise on average while Manu tends to his rubber ankles?

:wakeup

I Love Me Some Me
09-02-2008, 04:27 PM
It always takes a new guy a little while to get acclimated to the Spurs system. 9-12 would be a good starting point for him. He just needs to not put too much pressure on himself, play defense, rebound, and not turn the ball over.

Allanon
09-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Roger Mason averaged 8 points last year in 20 minutes, I figure he'll be in the 5-8 point range this year and play his usual 20 minutes.

56 days, I've been counting as well.

Training camp should start bringing in some news and excitement.

Pre-season still a month away but at least it will be something.

Great sig btw, makes coming back to ST a little bit more entertaining in the off-season.

DPG21920
09-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Great sig btw, makes coming back to ST a little bit more entertaining in the off-season.

To bad thats a guy!

tlongII
09-02-2008, 04:37 PM
You need an option for "less than 5".

Brutalis
09-02-2008, 04:47 PM
You need an option for "less than 5".

I take a bet with you over his PPG being more than 5 once the reg season is complete.

dbestpro
09-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Mason averaged 21 min pg and 9.1 ppg last year.

In the games he played over 20 min he averaged 12.6 ppg.
In the games he played over 25 min he averaged 15.3 ppg.
In the games he played over 30 min he averaged 17.3 ppg.

manufor3
09-02-2008, 05:44 PM
9-12 and possibly more once he learns the system

The Truth #6
09-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Mason's stats could be inflated by playing in the Wizards system. It's hard to say. I wouldn't put too much hope in those numbers translating to the Spurs system right away.

I think the better question is not how many points he will average, but how many MINUTES he will average. I'm curious to see how much trust Pop gives him right off the bat.

Mason could outplay Finley but I expect Finley to get more minutes. That ridiculous contract they gave Finley makes me think it's going to be more of the same.

The Franchise
09-02-2008, 08:05 PM
9-12 is a safe bet. If he struggles to adjust it could be less than five though. Everything depends on Pops level of patience.

Brutalis
09-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Mason's stats could be inflated by playing in the Wizards system. It's hard to say. I wouldn't put too much hope in those numbers translating to the Spurs system right away.

Very true. I am not sold on his scoring.

I think the better question is not how many points he will average, but how many MINUTES he will average. I'm curious to see how much trust Pop gives him right off the bat.

I don't think Pop has much of a choice. If playoff positioning is as tough as it was last year do you see Pop playing Finley over Mason throwing that many games? I just don't think he has a choice.

Mason could outplay Finley but I expect Finley to get more minutes. That ridiculous contract they gave Finley makes me think it's going to be more of the same.

I hope not.

century
09-02-2008, 08:09 PM
Mason blows.

The Truth #6
09-02-2008, 08:28 PM
Very true. I am not sold on his scoring.

I don't think Pop has much of a choice. If playoff positioning is as tough as it was last year do you see Pop playing Finley over Mason throwing that many games? I just don't think he has a choice.

I hope not.

I'm setting my expectations low so I can be pleasantly surprised in case things turn out for the best. However, it is a mystery to me how Pop makes decisions sometimes, which is why I wondered about how many minutes Mason would get.

What we might be forgetting is that Udoka could get more minutes than Mason, at least in the beginning.

Brutalis
09-02-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm setting my expectations low so I can be pleasantly surprised in case things turn out for the best. However, it is a mystery to me how Pop makes decisions sometimes, which is why I wondered about how many minutes Mason would get.

What we might be forgetting is that Udoka could get more minutes than Mason, at least in the beginning.

Maybe Udoka will but.. will this be the season Bowen starts to slow down? He did a little bit last year as it is.

DPG21920
09-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Maybe Udoka will but.. will this be the season Bowen starts to slow down? He did a little bit last year as it is.

To be honest, that would be one of the worst things to happen to the Spurs. If Bowen has a really noticeable slip, that is not good.

Brutalis
09-02-2008, 08:57 PM
To be honest, that would be one of the worst things to happen to the Spurs. If Bowen has a really noticeable slip, that is not good.

I can think of worse!

Manufan909
09-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Like Finley getting more than 15 minutes a game?

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-02-2008, 11:53 PM
13-16ppg

XTah
09-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Roger Mason averaged 8 points last year in 20 minutes, I figure he'll be in the 5-8 point range this year and play his usual 20 minutes.

This coming from the same guy who thinks you can multiply people's numbers per minute by 40 minutes and get what stats they will have.

I say somewhere between 11-14.

timtonymanu
09-03-2008, 05:42 AM
i voted 17 PPG, cause that's what i want out of him. it's ironic how mason is in the same position as last year except replace arenas with ginobili and the wizards with the spurs.

timvp
09-03-2008, 05:45 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up. In my mind, Michael Finley will start until proven otherwise.

:guin

timtonymanu
09-03-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up. In my mind, Michael Finley will start until proven otherwise.

unfortunately, i agree.

mountainballer
09-03-2008, 06:53 AM

Mason on the 2nd unit without Manu will cause a big disappointment. he's one of the easy to defend guys, all it takes is a somehow decent man on man defender and he's out.
almost every team in the NBA has such a player on the bench. (Sasha Vujacic, Ronnie Brewer, Dahntay Jones, Tony Allen, Quinton Ross, Rasual Butler etc.)
he needs someone to keep the defense away from him. if he played PG alongside Manu, this could work. maybe also alongside Tony.
but Mason on the 2nd unit as the primary scorer and without help will be a disaster. 10 games and he will be called a bust.

coyotes_geek
09-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Mason on the 2nd unit without Manu will cause a big disappointment. he's one of the easy to defend guys, all it takes is a somehow decent man on man defender and he's out.
almost every team in the NBA has such a player on the bench. (Sasha Vujacic, Ronnie Brewer, Dahntay Jones, Tony Allen, Quinton Ross, Rasual Butler etc.)
he needs someone to keep the defense away from him. if he played PG alongside Manu, this could work. maybe also alongside Tony.
but Mason on the 2nd unit as the primary scorer and without help will be a disaster. 10 games and he will be called a bust.

Agreed. What sucks is that with Manu missing the start of the season, Mason as the primary bench scorer is what we're going to have to live with until Manu gets back.

The Truth #6
09-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I don't even want to imagine some of the scoring droughts we will endure with Manu out. It was already bad enough at times with him on the team. If Hill is our backup point, then has to be able to break down the D off the dribble to get people like Mason open shots. So in that sense, we need more than just one of the new guys to contribute right off the bat. And in that same line of thought, Ian's game will be more productive if Hill is breaking down the D to get him easier shots as well.

DROB4EVER
09-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Mason will be the starting SG with or without manu on the team. Hill and Ian will have to give use good scoring off the bench. I think we will see more of hill at the 2 with the second unit.

Udoka will also need to boost his scoring and Fin will likely see 12mpg so I think we will be alright.

SenorSpur
09-03-2008, 03:13 PM

That's exactly what worries me. :bang

Ginobilly
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
9 to 12 points but hopefully he gives us 15+

HarlemHeat37
09-03-2008, 10:36 PM
did everybody here miss what he did with Arenas out? he was putting up big numbers on VERY EFFICIENT shooting..he wasn't just chucking, he was scoring efficiently and replaced Arenas well..the Wizards didn't miss a beat..

the Wizards offense does inflate your numbers, but again, he was doing it on high efficiency..he isn't going to be double-teamed at all, he's playing with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker..

I'm not worried about Mason at all..I'm worried about our backups when Manu is out..