PDA

View Full Version : Hollinger: Chat wrap Tuesday Spur tidbits

Allanon
09-02-2008, 06:14 PM
From ESPN
John Hollinger
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=22179

I left out alot of the less interesting stuff because this thing is very long: Oddly enough, there was no mention of Manu's injury and its effect on the Spurs.

Doesn't sound like Hollinger expects much from Roger Mason either...

Dan (Los Angeles): John, a lot of people seem to be jumping on the Rodney Stuckey bandwagon as of late. What can he realistically do for Detroit this upcoming season?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Biggest thing will be his progress as a shooter. We know he's big and can get to the hole, and he should cut down the TOs with more experience, but the threat of the outside shot is what wiill be the difference between stardom and pretty-good-dom.

---------
Dave (Lawrence, KS): What are your thoughts on the Celts chance of repeating? Does losing Posey hurt bad enough to keep them from beating the best the West has to offer?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I don't think losing Posey hurts that much, especially if Tony Allen steps up. Boston still rates as favorites in the East, we could easily see a Finals rematch in fact.

--------------

Kev (montreal,Canada): With the likes of Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Odom, Ariza, Vujacic... I think the Lakers have what it takes to win the championship this year. Do you agree? After all it`s basically the same team that went to the finals but we`re adding Bynum (real center) and Ariza for 82 games!!!!

SportsNation John Hollinger: It's quite possible, but we have to see what Bynum looks like once the real games start, and remember too that the West is, if anything, an even tougher league than a year ago to win.

-----------------

jason (denva, co): Is j.r. smith the real deal in waiting? i think the 3 year 16.5 million dollar deal may have been the smartest contract the nuggets have inked in quite some time.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Check out J.R. Smith's stats after the All-Star break last year, they're ridiculous. He averaged 15.7 points in 21.8 minutes. Think about that ... if he sees more regular PT he'll average in the 20s easily. yes, he's a knucklehead, but man, what a talented knucklehead.

-------------
Don (Washington, DC): One of those "worst MVP award votes in recent history" was the Tim Duncan vote over Kidd in 2002. Agree?...

SportsNation John Hollinger: No, they got that right. Kidd had a great year, but if he had won over Duncan it would have been a tragicomedy.

--------------

Trey (Texas): It's pretty clear after the Olmypics (to those few that didn't get it already) that Jason Kidd is done. Should the Mavericks consider themselves lucky to even make the playoffs this year?

SportsNation John Hollinger: "Done" is a bit strong. "Declining" is probably accurate. I hated the trade at the time and like it less now, although I still think the Mavs make the playoffs.

---------------

Elton Brand (Philly, PA): You're out of your mind if you think the West got stronger since last season. The East is catching up.

SportsNation John Hollinger: At the very top, it will take more than 58 wins to take the West this year. That's what I meant.

----------------

Craig (Pocatello, ID): What are the odds of the Blazers being a top 5 seed in the west?

SportsNation John Hollinger: Top 5 sounds ambitious-- Lakers, Rockets, Spurs, Hornet and Jazz clearly rank ahead. But a 6-7 seed sounds completely reasonable.

------------------

Josh(Las Cruces): What can we expect to see from roger mason jr. this season?

SportsNation John Hollinger: A whole lot of 3-point attempts and not much else. He defends and he can handle a little, but he's not looking to drive.

--------------------
Peyton (Atlanta): Do you think that the New Orleans Hornets can win the division and actually win the NBA Championship?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I think they're counting way too much on Chandler and West to make it through the schedule unscathed. There's really no Plan B if one of those two gets hurt, and it's not like they've been ironmen in the past.

---------------------

Harry Manback (Portland, OR): It seems like you can say "temper your expectations for the first half of the season" with regard to half of Portland's roster. Three rookies being added to the rotation, Roy coming off of a knee injury, an absolutely brutal schedule to start the year...this season has disappointment written all over it.

SportsNation John Hollinger: I agree with your lead-in but not the conclusion. Only way the season will be disappointing is if Blazer fans get deluded about where they are and how much climbing remains. 45-48 wins would be a nice step up, but I'm not sure Blazer fans are on board with that.

--------------

Matt (Houston): How has it made it this far in the chat without ONE mention of the blockbuster deal of the summer, Ron Artest to Houston? Can Ron-Ron, T-mac, and Yao take them all the way?

SportsNation John Hollinger: I like the deal because Houston really needed another shot-creator -- McGrady visibly wore out in Game 2 of the Utah series from having to do everything on offense. To go all the way they'll still need some breaks -- most notably health -- and perhaps an upgrade at the point too.

mystargtr34
09-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Anyone that suggests Tim Duncan should not have won MVP in 2002 is either

a) retarded
b) deluded
c) laker fan

25.5 PPG
12.7 RPG
3.7 APG
2.73 BPG
50%+ FG

I actually dont mind Hollinger too much, he does tend to worship his formulas a bit too much but most times i think he comes in with some pretty good thoughts.

George Gervin's Afro
09-02-2008, 10:15 PM

a) retarded
b) deluded
c) laker fan

25.5 PPG
12.7 RPG
3.7 APG
2.73 BPG
50%+ FG

I actually dont mind Hollinger too much, he does tend to worship his formulas a bit too much but most times i think he comes in with some pretty good thoughts.

He did pick the Lakers in 5..

lefty
09-02-2008, 10:18 PM

a) retarded
b) deluded
c) laker fan

25.5 PPG
12.7 RPG
3.7 APG
2.73 BPG
50%+ FG

a=b=c

ShoogarBear
09-03-2008, 12:35 AM
I call bullshit. Hollinger got through an entire chat without mentioning PER?

Allanon
09-03-2008, 12:42 AM

There was PER about some player in there, it was boring so I left it out.

K-State Spur
09-03-2008, 12:57 AM
He did pick the Lakers in 5..

after he picked suns & hornets...

DPG21920
09-03-2008, 01:09 AM
after he picked suns & hornets...

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-03-2008, 06:56 AM
From ESPN
John Hollinger
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=22179

jason (denva, co): Is j.r. smith the real deal in waiting? i think the 3 year 16.5 million dollar deal may have been the smartest contract the nuggets have inked in quite some time.

SportsNation John Hollinger: Check out J.R. Smith's stats after the All-Star break last year, they're ridiculous. He averaged 15.7 points in 21.8 minutes. Think about that ... if he sees more regular PT he'll average in the 20s easily. yes, he's a knucklehead, but man, what a talented knucklehead.

:smokin http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/statistics?stat=nbascoring&sort=pts&league=nba&avg=48&qual=true&pos=all&season=2008&seasontype=2

7th in the league last season in points per 48min at 30.6ppg. If the guy can get 35mpg then he will easily be a 20-25ppg scorer. The problem is that AI plays so many minutes. JR may have to wait until AI is gone before he fully explodes

Going to be a fun season with no expectations :hat

sribb43
09-03-2008, 07:20 AM

LOL..not so fast

"justin (miami): Where do you project Wade's PER to be this season and do you take into account what he did at the Olympics?

John Hollinger: Based stricly off the#s, wade's projected PER was around 22 if I remember right. Based on what I've seen with my own eyes, I'm thinking more like 27 or 28. "

mystargtr34
09-03-2008, 07:45 AM
John Hollinger may actually be Allanon, the way they just multiply numbers as minutes go up.

Allanon
09-03-2008, 11:58 AM
John Hollinger may actually be Allanon, the way they just multiply numbers as minutes go up.

Oh no, not again, I got your numbers right here. But I will wait until Scola gets consideration for the All Star game before I rub it in ...buddy.