12. Avery Johnson
13. Alvin Robertson
14. Johnny Moore
15. RC Buford
16. Artis Gilmore
17. Peter Holt
18. Mike Mitchell

------------------------------

To pass the time until the start of preseason, let's see how SpursTalk.com ranks the Top 50 Spurs. Those eligible for the list include all players, coaches and owners. I don't want to define "top" too narrowly, but I think the best way to do it would be to think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport.

For more information on what we are doing, check out this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103061).

In this thread, we will vote for spot number 19. Please place your vote. If you will, also explain in this thread why you voted how you did.

Thanks.

P.S.

Poll options listed in alphabetical order. If you want to vote for someone not on the list, post in the thread and I'll add the person.

Voting will end 2AM CST Thursday morning.

Please vote only once.

manufor3
09-03-2008, 06:56 AM
malik rose!

FromWayDowntown
09-03-2008, 07:31 AM
I'll stick with Bob Bass as a steal at #19.

It's shameful to me that he's fallen this far.

SenorSpur
09-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Mike "Sugar" Gale

samikeyp
09-03-2008, 08:22 AM
I'll stick with Bob Bass as a steal at #19.

It's shameful to me that he's fallen this far.

:tu

urunobili
09-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Budenholzer contributed to 4 rings... he is being underestimated...

Kona
09-03-2008, 08:38 AM
B twice.

Spooky
09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Bob Bass

ambchang
09-03-2008, 09:48 AM
I voted for Bob Bass back in the 7 to 8 spots, way way way back. I just don't know how he could have dropped this far.

century
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
old olberdingy it is

baseline bum
09-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I'll give it to Bass for getting us Artis and Mitchell, even though I'm a big Olberding fan.

Obstructed_View
09-03-2008, 04:51 PM
I think I can make a case for everyone ahead of Bass. I don't think I can make a case for anyone other than him for this spot, even though I'm not enthusiastic about him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Budenholzer contributed to 4 rings... he is being underestimated...

An assistant coach being one of the top 20 Spurs of all time? :lol

timvp
09-03-2008, 06:17 PM
After Mitchell, there is a big drop to the next player. This spot belongs to Bass and Doug Moe should be coming up but after that, it gets pretty complicated. I think these are the next nine people who should be in the mix:

Doug Moe
Second to Pop in all-time coaching wins for the Spurs with 177. Had a winning percentage of 56.7%. Coached the Spurs in their first season in the NBA. George Gervin won three of his four scoring titles under Moe. The Spurs never averaged less than 114.5 points with Moe as coach and his exciting style of coaching helped keep fan interest in those early days. Was the coach during the '79 playoffs when the Spurs were up 3-1 in the ECF and were only one win away from an NBA Finals meeting against the Seattle Supersonics . . .

Malik Rose
Played 509 regular season games with the Spurs over a span of eight seasons. His career averages with the Spurs are 7.5 points and 4.8 rebounds in 18.4 minutes per game. Rose along with David Robinson and Tim Duncan are the only players who were in the regular rotation during both of the first two championships. Averaged 9.3 points and 5.8 rebounds during the 2003 championship run. In an era where the Spurs struggled mightily in finding a capable backup bigman, Rose was an important ingredient to the first two championship teams.

Robert Horry
Played a total of 332 regular season games with the Spurs. His career averages with the Spurs were 4.7 points, 3.4 rebounds and 16.8 minutes per game. Played on the 2005 and 2007 championship teams. His legendary heroics played a large part in the 2005 championship. Averaged 9.3 points, 5.4 rebounds and 26.9 minutes during the 2005 playoffs. Although didn't start many games, he did close a large percentage of games during his five seasons in San Antonio.

Terry Cummings
Averaged 14.4 points, 6.9 rebounds and 26.7 minutes per game during his six years with the Spurs. In his first three seasons in San Antonio, averaged 19.3 points, 8.4 rebounds and 32.9 minutes. In the summer after his third season, he tore his ACL and that injury limited his ability for the rest of his career. Played in 361 regular season games in his Spurs career.

Billy Paultz
Played four and a half seasons in San Antonio from 1975 to 1980. In 371 career regular season games, Paultz averaged 14.2 points, 8.5 rebounds and 30.9 minutes per game. Made the 1975-76 ABA All-Star team as a member of the Spurs. Has the most career rebounds and blocks with the Spurs of anyone not on the current list.

Mark Olberding
Olberding's 536 regular season games played with the Spurs ranks him 10th on the all-time franchise list. During those games, averaged 10.5 points, 5.6 rebounds and 25.8 minutes per game. He played seven complete seasons with the Spurs -- from 1975 to 1982.

Mario Elie
Elie only two season with the Spurs. The 1999 championship season is the season he is most remembered for. He is credited with firing up his teammates and helping the Spurs in the mental toughness and clutchness department. Hit a number of big shots during the regular season and playoffs during 1999. He didn't do much of anything in the 1999-2000 season but his lone good season was a vital one in Spurs history.

Red McCombs
Was part of the needed financial muscle to bring the Spurs from Dallas to San Antonio. Remained with the Spurs for many of the early years. Left for a while to own the Nuggets but eventually returned. Bought the Spurs in 1998 and was the owner until selling to a local ownership group in 1993. His interest in the Spurs throughout the years has helped the Spurs survive in San Antonio because his wealth allowed him to survive in a small market. Didn't sell out to out of town ownership groups even though he could have banked more money.

Robert McDermott
Was the primary owner of the Spurs from 1993 to 1997 when he sold to Peter Holt. While he wasn't in charge for a long period of time, he made one hugely important move -- he hired Gregg Popovich. Seeing as Pop at the time was a lowly assistant coach on a losing Golden State Warriors team, the move was seen as a risk at the time. Not only did he hire Pop, he gave Pop full authority over the basketball operations. He only told Pop to do one thing and that was to bring back Sean Elliott. McDermott too could have sold for more money to outside investors but kept the team in town by selling to Holt. Some give McDermott credit for changing the culture of how the Spurs are run.

Outside of those nine, I think players like Willie Anderson, Dennis Rodman, Mike Gale, Brent Barry, Gene Banks and Stephen Jackson have case. I might be forgetting or underrating a player so feel free to speak up regarding who you feel is next in line over the next ten or so picks.

Thanks.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Moe, then McCombs, then Elie.

urunobili
09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Moe, then McCombs, then Elie.

Elie > Malik or Horry? :lol

ChuckD
09-03-2008, 07:03 PM
I voted for Bob Bass back in the 7 to 8 spots, way way way back. I just don't know how he could have dropped this far.

He was a room temperature GM who stuck around almost forever.

ShoogarBear
09-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Outside of those nine, I think players like Willie Anderson, Dennis Rodman, Mike Gale, Brent Barry, Gene Banks and Stephen Jackson have case. I might be forgetting or underrating a player so feel free to speak up regarding who you feel is next in line over the next ten or so picks.

Thanks.

Stan Albeck was the Spurs coach during their "second wind" run of success after being transferred to the Western Conference, and arugably was more successful than Moe (though I wouldn't rank him above Moe in terms of contributions to the team). I would put him ahead of any of those players you mentioned above.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Elie > Malik or Horry? :lol

Elie>Malik for the 99 championship, and who knows if they had the opportunity to win their following championships had they not won the first.

angelbelow
09-03-2008, 11:43 PM
havent logged for a few days but im glad nazr did not win lol