PDA

View Full Version : NL Central Chokeapalooza

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Actually, St. Louis snapped their losing streak last night against Arizona's Petit, of all people. Otherwise, the division leaders have been in free fall for the last 3-4 days.

The talking heads all predicted that the NL Central would come back down to earth during September.

It looks like the remaining games are pretty comparable, with Milwaukee enjoying a slight edge. I see everyone gets their share of weak sisters in September, such as Cincinnatti and Pittsburgh.

Any thoughts?

ATRAIN
09-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I hope the cards, cubs, and brew crew fizzle like they usually do. I never give up on the STROS especially since they like to pull this crap all the time. They get hot and come from behind. Of course in the past we have gotten lucky and other teams have dropped, which is what we need to happen again. It could make for an exciting month if all the teams fizzle once again. Who do you pull for Reggie?

Cry Havoc
09-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Actually, St. Louis snapped their losing streak last night against Arizona's Petit, of all people. Otherwise, the division leaders have been in free fall for the last 3-4 days.

The talking heads all predicted that the NL Central would come back down to earth during September.

http://stl-sabr.bajink.com/fungoes/?p=962

It looks like the remaining games are pretty comparable, with Milwaukee enjoying a slight edge. I see everyone gets their share of weak sisters in September, such as Cincinnatti and Pittsburgh.

Any thoughts?

Well let's see, the Cubs have been the best or 2nd best team in the majors all year long. How does a team "come back to Earth" after 130 games? They've still won 7 of their last 11. :lmao Does coming back to Earth mean they are simply beatable sometimes, instead of absolutely dominating the league in run differential? They were bound to hit a skid at some point. Better now than in the post-season.

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 01:27 PM
I hope the cards, cubs, and brew crew fizzle like they usually do. I never give up on the STROS especially since they like to pull this crap all the time. They get hot and come from behind. Of course in the past we have gotten lucky and other teams have dropped, which is what we need to happen again. It could make for an exciting month if all the teams fizzle once again. Who do you pull for Reggie?

My home town used to be the Tigers' AAA affiliate (Evansville Triplets). I am mostly a Tigers' fan, but I have followed the Cubs and WhiteSox over the years due to WGN. (After realignment, I had to more or less drop the WhiteSox.) When I was a kid, Mike Schmidt and Willie Stargell were my favorite players, so I guess I'm all over the place.

I absolutely hate the Cardinals, Yankees, and RedSox. In SW Indiana, most people pull for St. Louis, and I guess I am just contrarian. Our area produces a lot of major league players (Don Mattingly, Andy and Alan Benes, Scott Rolen, Jamey Carroll, just to name a few), so you also see people following all sorts of teams.

This is a very odd area in that baseball and basketball are huge, but no one really cares much about football. Actually, when you consider the state of Indiana and Kentucky college football, I guess it isn't that odd...

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Well let's see, the Cubs have been the best or 2nd best team in the majors all year long. How does a team "come back to Earth" after 130 games? They've still won 7 of their last 11. :lmao Does coming back to Earth mean they are simply beatable sometimes, instead of absolutely dominating the league in run differential? They were bound to hit a skid at some point. Better now than in the post-season.

Yes, because neither the Brewers nor the Cubs have ever squandered huge division leads. Nope, not EVER.

Seriously though, the Cubs and Brewers have never actually been this good before (or at least not in my lifetime in Chicago's case). I agree that the Cubs would have to play well under .500 to miss the playoffs now.

The Brewers were actually the team that I think may revert to the mean, as it were. 1) They are outperforming their pythag. projection by a couple of games; 2) Ned Yost makes Dusty Baker look relatively intelligent; 3) Their bullpen sucketh mightily; and 4) Due to #s 2 and 3, Yost will have had Sabathia and Sheets pitch another 60 innings or so by October.

The Cubs do not have a single left-handed reliever worth the gunpowder to blow him to Hell. That's their only real weakness, but it's kind of glaring. Wood, Marmol, and Smardjza (sp?) are the only guys in their pen who can get left-handed batters out.

The Cardinals are a mirage: one really awesome offensive player (Pujols), a pitching staff having career years, and several guys playing out of their asses. Soon, guys like Ankiel, Glaus, and Ludwick will remember who they really are, and this will not end well. If you look at the schedule, the Cardinals have feasted on the weak sisters and really floundered against the contenders. Their remaining schedule is probably the most difficult.

T Park
09-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Soon, guys like Ankiel, Glaus, and Ludwick will remember who they really are

You do know that Ludwick was a very top prospect and considered to be a future all star before he hurt his hip right?

Troy Glaus a 300 homer career guy is gonna remember who he is?

I'd she he does, hitting over 270 23 homers and 80 some RBIs.

but whatever :lol

T Park
09-03-2008, 05:30 PM
If you look at the schedule, the Cardinals have feasted on the weak sisters and really floundered against the contenders.

Yeah that losing 2 of three from the PIrates and getting swept by the mediocre Astros are really "contenders"

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 07:33 PM
You do know that Ludwick was a very top prospect and considered to be a future all star before he hurt his hip right?

Troy Glaus a 300 homer career guy is gonna remember who he is?

I'd she he does, hitting over 270 23 homers and 80 some RBIs.

but whatever :lol

Fair enough on Ludwick. I did not know that.

Glaus is currently outperforming his career average, albeit in the NL. I was actually referring to his current hot streak.

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Yeah that losing 2 of three from the PIrates and getting swept by the mediocre Astros are really "contenders"

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL_2008_standings.shtml

Cardinals' record against teams >.500 = 32-35

Cardinals' record against teams <.500 = 43-29

L10 = 4-6 with losses against the Diamondbacks (2), Astros (3), and Brewers (1). I agree the Astros weren't in contention until you let them back in. Congrats!!!!

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 09:45 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/NL_2008_standings.shtml

Cardinals' record against teams >.500 = 32-35

Cardinals' record against teams <.500 = 43-29

L10 = 4-6 with losses against the Diamondbacks (2), Astros (3), and Brewers (1). I agree the Astros weren't in contention until you let them back in. Congrats!!!!

Ouch. The Cubs just finished the job.

Roxsfan
09-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Astros just swept the cubs:lol
Wiggie and Blum be clutch baby.
8 game streak, 6.5 games back
all of the teams ahead of them in the wildcard lost today mil, st lou., philly

Reggie Miller
09-03-2008, 10:29 PM
I swear, if the Astros could ever put their offense together in May, they wouldn't have to do this late surge every season....

Congrats to the Astros. They earned it.

K-State Spur
09-19-2008, 10:57 AM
LOL at Adam Kennedy demanding a trade from the Cardinals.

Yeah, he's slick with the glove, but I doubt there's much of a trade market for the guy who was arguably the worst offensive regular in baseball that doesn't play SS for the O's.