PDA

View Full Version : What do conservative talking heads think of the Palin pick when the mics are off?

Mr. Peabody
09-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Ummm...not too much. This open mic moment catches Chuck Todd (political director for MSNBC), Mike Murphy (former strategist for McCain and Romney campaigns), and Peggy Noonan (primary speech writer and Special Assistant to Ronald Reagan) discussing McCain's pick of Palin, just after the on-air interview finishes.

CrG8w4bb3kg

Murphy: Um, you know, because, I come out of the blue swing state governor world. Engler, Whitman, Tommy Thompson, Mitt Romney, Jeb Bush, I mean, and these guys, this is all how do you want to attack this race, just run it up, and it's not gonna work.

Noonan: It's Over.

Murphy: Still, McCain can give a version of the Lieberman speech and do himself some good.

Todd: Don't you think the Palin pick is insulting to Kay Bailey Hutchison and to....

Noonan: I saw Kay this morning...

Todd: She's never looked comfortable about..

Murphy: They're all bummed out.

Todd: I mean, is she really the most qualified woman they can obtain?

Noonan: The most qualified? No. I think they went for this, excuse me, political bullshit about narratives...[couldn't hear the end of it]

Todd: Yeah, but what's the narrative?

Murphy: I totally agree.

Noonan: Every time Republicans do that, because that's not where they live and it's not what they're good at, they blow it.

Murphy: You know what's the worst thing about it, the greatness of McCain is no cynicism, and..

Murphy and Todd together: This is cynical.

Todd: And as you called it, gimmicky.

It's an odd moment to catch because just today Peggy Noonan ran an article today in the Wall Street Journal saying that Palin was a real threat to the left.

Because she jumbles up so many cultural categories, because she is a feminist not in the Yale Gender Studies sense but the How Do I Reload This Thang way, because she is a woman who in style, history, moxie and femininity is exactly like a normal American feminist and not an Abstract Theory feminist; because she wears makeup and heels and eats mooseburgers and is Alaska Tough, as Time magazine put it; because she is conservative, and pro-2nd Amendment and pro-life; and because conservatives can smell this sort of thing — who is really one of them and who is not — and will fight to the death for one of their beleaguered own; because of all of this she is a real and present danger to the American left, and to a future Obama candidacy.

Findog
09-03-2008, 04:08 PM
When I first heard of the selection, I had never heard of Palin before, and I thought the primary consideration for selecting her was to court bitter Hillary dead-enders. That's certainly part of the calculus, but the more I learn about her, the more it seems she is red meat for the base. She is hardcore right-wing on the social issues that these knuckledraggers go in for, so it's a move to shore up the base and give them a reason to vote FOR McCain as opposed to against Obama.

In the eyes of conservatives, despite his terrorist name and unfortunate skin pigmentation, Obama is naturally hard to dislike because he takes the high road in his public posturing and rarely stoops to negative attacks. He's a politician for sure, and he postures like one, but he's about as pristine and pure as a mainstream politician gets, mainly because he hasn't had to get his hands dirty yet. I thought he had a problem with winning over the bitter Hillary supporters, but it looks like McCain has an even bigger problem solidifying his base if this is the VP pick he has to make.

One of the Republican commentators last night was talking about the galvanizing effect Palin has had on the base and how fired up they are over McCain's candidacy now, and that Palin might make a real difference for the McCain ticket in places like North Carolina, Georgia and West Virginia. In my opinion, those states should not be in play, nor should the Republicans be having to spend a lot of money to keep them in their column. It's hard to really gauge things, but the dynamic seems to be favoring Obama.

101A
09-03-2008, 04:09 PM
A knee jerk reaction, perhaps. Perhaps not.

We can assume the open mike moment was their true feelings at the time; maybe the written piece is bullshit, maybe it's what she thinks now that she has had a chance to learn about Palin and digest it longer.

Did you change your opinion about Obama when Jackson had his open mike moment?

Pundits, however, only get one vote apiece.

101A
09-03-2008, 04:12 PM
It's hard to really gauge things, but the dynamic seems to be favoring Obama.

You think?

With a sitting Republican president in the low 20 approval area? Go figure.

I am, frankly, astonished there is even a race being run, and that the results are AT ALL in doubt. I still believe the race is Obama's to lose; but he still could lose it. Amazing.

Findog
09-03-2008, 04:12 PM
It's an odd moment to catch because just today Peggy Noonan ran an article today in the Washington Post saying that Palin was a real threat to the left.

Well, it's her job to take up a spear for the Republican cause. The net effect of the Palin pick is to fire up the knuckledraggers and get them to the polls to vote FOR McCain, since getting them to vote AGAINST Obama does not seem to be a winning strategy.

I don't care about the pregnancy bullshit, what I do care about is that she's a batshit crazy right-wing extremist. The GOP is trying to kill two birds with one stone, fire up and stoke the base, AND hope that the extreme views she holds are masked by a pleasant demeanor and a MILFY exterior to moderates and independents.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2008, 04:16 PM
The thought of Noonan's cursing is entertaining.

Findog
09-03-2008, 04:21 PM
You think?

I am, frankly, astonished there is even a race being run, and that the results are AT ALL in doubt. I still believe the race is Obama's to lose; but he still could lose it. Amazing.

Well, since LBJ signed the Civil Rights Bill and the Republicans took control in the south, the Democrats have won only 4 times (64, 76, 92, 96). Three of those times were flukes (76, 92, 96) and the other occasion (64) was a case of the GOP nominee being too far out of the mainstream. McCain and Palin are a comically weak ticket; the GOP is one of two major parties and I think they have a responsibility to nominate responsible, competent people for national office. It's clear McCain and Palin don't fit that criteria. It shows you that the national electoral college landscape is such that generic GOP candidate should usually beat generic Democratic candidate. And I very much agree that this thing is far from over, even given that McCain has run a lackluster campaign and the GOP is rightfully very unpopular right now.

I think Obama has 3 things going for him that should steer him to the Presidency.

1) There are a lot of pent-up social forces converging in electing somebody other than an old, white guy. McCain's pick of Palin is a nod in the direction of breaking glass ceilings, but the primary motivation is to shore up his base. And while the Democratic presidential nominee can already count on 90% of the black vote, I think the black turnout in this election is going to be huge. Obama can't win by crafting the same old Democratic constituency, he has to create a new coalition. If I'm the GOP, I'm terrified of his ability to do this. I think there are going to be a lot of blacks in this election that are not normally political people that turn out to vote to put a black man in office.

2) Obama's grassroots organization and strength is so much superior to McCain's operation. He sold out an NFL stadium to hear his nominating speech, while the St. Paul arena is half full. I don't know how much of an "enthusiasm gap" will matter at the polls, but it's never a good sign when the other side is more enthusiastic and passionate about its candidate than you are yours. See Bush/Kerry 2004.

3) Obama and his advisors are smart. They don't make mistakes, shoot themselves in the foot or make major gaffes. To use a football metaphor, they might not break any big plays to the endzone, but they move the chains methodically and don't turn the ball over.

Mr. Peabody
09-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Did you change your opinion about Obama when Jackson had his open mike moment?

Pundits, however, only get one vote apiece.

The thing about "cutting his nuts off"? For some reason, I found it really funny. I thought that Jesse Jackson must be really angry to say that. And that I can somewhat understand that. Jesse Jackson has made a living pointing out the actual and maybe just "perceived" injustices that Blacks face in contemporary America. He's made a living showing that Blacks were the victims of a society that still contains vestiges of slavery and Jim Crow.

Now there is finally a viable Black presidential candidate on the scene and he doesn't talk about the same issues in the same way as Jackson. Rather, he speaks in a language of personal responsibility and expanded opportunity for all. I'm sure Jackson felt somewhat slighted by that.

So, I understand it, but to hear this respected civil rights leader use the phrase "cut his nuts off" just struck me as funny at the time.

boutons_
09-03-2008, 04:27 PM
It was reported that maverick McSame wasn't the Repugs' best candidate, just the one who prevailed over much worst candidates. iow, there's an serious absence of Repug enthusiam for McSame, somewhat reflected in the low Repug voter registrations this year. The radical right denied McSame from Liebermann as VP, another signal they aren't enthusiastic with the maverick.

I have no doubt that all the distractions and side-shows that very weak selection, ie, McSame's desperate, lates election Palin has turns off even more Repugs.

iow, from the open mic, "It's Over". :)

The Repugs' only real hope with such a weak ticket generating little enthusiasm is that they can inundate and destroy HUSSEIN with slime and slander in the coming weeks. The slime and slander tsunami starts right after the RNC.

... which would be neutralized by HUSSEIN's unKerry counter-attacks, and by Palin being indicted in October for abuse of office, and illegally accessing personnel files on her ex-BIL.

Anti.Hero
09-03-2008, 04:29 PM
I could give two shits about abortion or gays.

She seems like she might actually do work.

PixelPusher
09-03-2008, 04:33 PM
The thing about "cutting his nuts off"? For some reason, I found it really funny. I thought that Jesse Jackson must be really angry to say that. And that I can somewhat understand that. Jesse Jackson has made a living pointing out the actual and maybe just "perceived" injustices that Blacks face in contemporary America. He's made a living showing that Blacks were the victims of a society that still contains vestiges of slavery and Jim Crow.

Now there is finally a viable Black presidential candidate on the scene and he doesn't talk about the same issues in the same way as Jackson. Rather, he speaks in a language of personal responsibility and expanded opportunity for all. I'm sure Jackson felt somewhat slighted by that.

So, I understand it, but to hear this respected civil rights leader use the phrase "cut his nuts off" just struck me as funny at the time.

Jackson was having a narcissistic temper tantrum. Whatever Jesse Jackson said relates to strictly to Jesse Jackson.

Todd, Noonan and Murphy, on the other hand, were doing unplugged analysis. Take it or leave it; but I thought Noonan nailed it.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-03-2008, 04:37 PM
funny things happen when the mics are "off". funny that things get recorded when they're "off" just ask rev. jesse "what's my job, again" jackson. msnbc leaving their mics "off" for conservative commentators is pretty desperate move to keep olbermann in business.

ChumpDumper
09-03-2008, 05:23 PM
funny things happen when the mics are "off". funny that things get recorded when they're "off" just ask rev. jesse "what's my job, again" jackson. msnbc leaving their mics "off" for conservative commentators is pretty desperate move to keep olbermann in business.So now that you are done shooting the messenger....

Biernutz
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
You think?

Congress has a lower approval rating --the L.A. Times-Bloomberg poll has it at 17% and tell me who has been running congress the last two years--Nancy and the Clowns.

Nbadan
09-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Congress has a lower approval rating --the L.A. Times-Bloomberg poll has it at 17% and tell me who has been running congress the last two years--Nancy and the Clowns.

Blame the Republicans in Congress....they have used the filibuster and veto power a record number of times since the Dems took control of congress in 06....they have become the party of malcontents and obstructionist....

Mr. Body
09-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Well, it's her job to take up a spear for the Republican cause. The net effect of the Palin pick is to fire up the knuckledraggers and get them to the polls to vote FOR McCain, since getting them to vote AGAINST Obama does not seem to be a winning strategy.

I don't care about the pregnancy bullshit, what I do care about is that she's a batshit crazy right-wing extremist. The GOP is trying to kill two birds with one stone, fire up and stoke the base, AND hope that the extreme views she holds are masked by a pleasant demeanor and a MILFY exterior to moderates and independents.

I agree. This is entirely about turning out the base. They need their base to actually come out and vote, which they might not have been doing before. Clinton voters were a bonus (which ain't happening).

Their base in key states like Penn, Virginia, Michigan, and Ohio is what this is all about. They were like, "hey, a pretty woman who hunts, talks about Jesus, and hates science, that's great!" Hopefully Americans are wise about this stuff now.

Mr. Body
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Well, since LBJ signed the Civil Rights Bill and the Republicans took control in the south, the Democrats have won only 4 times (64, 76, 92, 96). Three of those times were flukes (76, 92, 96) and the other occasion (64) was a case of the GOP nominee being too far out of the mainstream. McCain and Palin are a comically weak ticket; the GOP is one of two major parties and I think they have a responsibility to nominate responsible, competent people for national office. It's clear McCain and Palin don't fit that criteria. It shows you that the national electoral college landscape is such that generic GOP candidate should usually beat generic Democratic candidate. And I very much agree that this thing is far from over, even given that McCain has run a lackluster campaign and the GOP is rightfully very unpopular right now.

I think Obama has 3 things going for him that should steer him to the Presidency.

1) There are a lot of pent-up social forces converging in electing somebody other than an old, white guy. McCain's pick of Palin is a nod in the direction of breaking glass ceilings, but the primary motivation is to shore up his base. And while the Democratic presidential nominee can already count on 90% of the black vote, I think the black turnout in this election is going to be huge. Obama can't win by crafting the same old Democratic constituency, he has to create a new coalition. If I'm the GOP, I'm terrified of his ability to do this. I think there are going to be a lot of blacks in this election that are not normally political people that turn out to vote to put a black man in office.

2) Obama's grassroots organization and strength is so much superior to McCain's operation. He sold out an NFL stadium to hear his nominating speech, while the St. Paul arena is half full. I don't know how much of an "enthusiasm gap" will matter at the polls, but it's never a good sign when the other side is more enthusiastic and passionate about its candidate than you are yours. See Bush/Kerry 2004.

3) Obama and his advisors are smart. They don't make mistakes, shoot themselves in the foot or make major gaffes. To use a football metaphor, they might not break any big plays to the endzone, but they move the chains methodically and don't turn the ball over.

It's scary to think, without Obama, his terrific campaign managers, we might be heading into another GOP term, even after the utter disaster of Bush/Cheney.

This was a great post.

cool hand
09-03-2008, 06:54 PM
can someone tell why they don't say these things on air?

romad_20
09-03-2008, 06:58 PM

Because its a petty fucking game involving tons of money. Hasn't anyone wised up to this shit yet?

Mr. Body
09-03-2008, 07:07 PM

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYY

Money
MoneyMoney
MoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoney
MoneyMoneyMoney
MoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoney
MoneyMoneyMoney
MoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoney
MoneyMoneyMoneyMoneyMoney
MoneyMoneyMoney
Money
MoneyMoney
Money

and evil.

cool hand
09-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Ron Paul 2008

Wild Cobra
09-03-2008, 07:51 PM
When I first heard of the selection, I had never heard of Palin before, and I thought the primary consideration for selecting her was to court bitter Hillary dead-enders.

Palin's name has been mentioned since early 2007 by various people. We can credit Jochhejaam for being on the forefront of bringing in links pointing to Palin:

Extreme Politics ( http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99572&page=2&highlight=Palin), post #7, dated 6/21/08, part of quote:

The signposts also indicate who Mr. McCain should choose for his running mate. No Republican can better make the case for drilling than Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, and no governor has fought harder against corruption, especially in her own party.

So go to ANWR, Mr. McCain. Embrace Sarah Palin there. You'll have to eat some crow. But crow doesn't taste so bad if it's served on the White House china.

Anyone have a CLUE who the VPs will be? ( http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101917&highlight=Palin), 7/26/08, post #9, part of linked article:

One source with knowledge of McCain's VP selection process said the Arizona senator would like to pick a woman for his VP if he could find a perfect fit.

Possibilities tossed about include U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

But a consultant, familiar with McCain's VP search who asked to not be identified, said none of those women fill the bill.

The source points to Rice's ties to President Bush and the 44-year-old Palin's experience level. Pawlenty is close to McCain and has sought to appeal to middle class, suburban, Republicans in his term as governor.

Same thread, post 16, dated 7/31/08:

What's more, with Mr. McCain not exactly a favorite of social and fiscal conservatives, prominent leaders of the party's right flank say choosing a bona fide member of their class could re-energize the GOP base.

"Sarah Palin is a great choice," said Grover Norquist, a Republican activist best known for his economic conservatism.

"She's got it all, and is a remarkable leader who brings a number of good qualities to the table," said Wendy Wright, president of Concerned Women for America.

Biernutz
09-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Blame the Republicans in Congress....they have used the filibuster and veto power a record number of times since the Dems took control of congress in 06....they have become the party of malcontents and obstructionist....

the Democrats are in control of all the subcommittees--they run the show. They could get things done if they wanted to. A example of that is Obama's voting record. He never votes for anything --Yea-or Nay. He has a dismal record in congress. A empty suit.

Nbadan
09-03-2008, 08:01 PM
for all the criticism about Obama's voting record, old MC has a even worse voting record since announcing his Pres. candidacy...and controlling Congressional sub-committees just means you control the purse strings, not that you have the power to over-rule GOP obstructionist...unlike the GOP when they had control, the Demos aren't trying to redo long-standing rules protecting the power of the minority party in Congress....