PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili Has Successful Surgery

Spurs Brazil
09-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Ginobili Has Successful Surgery

Sep 03, 2008 8:20 PM EST
The San Antonio Spurs announced that earlier today Manu Ginobili underwent successful arthroscopic surgery to correct a posterior impingement of his left ankle.

The surgery was performed in Los Angeles by Dr. Richard Ferkel.

Ginobili will return to San Antonio on Thursday. He will be in a posterior splint - and on crutches - for three weeks. At the end of the three-week period he will be re-evaluated and begin his rehabilitation process.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54270/20080903/ginobili_has_successful_surgery/

urunobili
09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
great news! finally something about it!!! thanks Spurs Brazil!

Spurs Brazil
09-03-2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/Ginobili_having_surgery_as_contract_talks_put_on_h old.html

Ginobili having surgery; deal on hold

Mike Monroe - San Antonio Express-News Spurs star Manu Ginobili was in Los Angeles for arthroscopic surgery on his injured left ankle and heel.

Herb Rudoy, Ginobili’s agent, confirmed reports in an Argentine newspaper that the surgery to repair a posterior impingement in the reigning NBA Sixth Man Award winner’s left ankle and heel would take place there Wednesday.

Ginobili is to return to San Antonio after the surgery to begin a recovery and rehabilitation program under the supervision of the Spurs medical and athletic training and conditioning staff. His recovery period is estimated to take two to three months.

Ginobili told the Argentine newspaper, Ole!, that his relations with the Spurs has not been impaired by his having been injured during the Olympic basketball tournament that Spurs coach and president of basketball operations Gregg Popovich had urged him to forgo, but that negotiations for a contract extension that had begun before his injury had been postponed.

Rudoy confirmed the delay in those negotiations.

“Contract negotiations for an extension have been put off until after the surgery” Rudoy said. “The Spurs want to see how he recovers from the surgery.”

Ginobili has been hampered by left ankle problems for the past few seasons. He jammed his left ankle in April during the Spurs’ first-round playoff series against the Phoenix Suns, but remained one of the team’s most effective playoff scorers until the injury worsened during the team’s Western Conference finals series against the Los Angeles Lakers. After averaging 20.1 points in the first two playoff rounds, his scoring average dipped to 12.6 points against the Lakers.

An MRI exam after that series revealed significant swelling to ligaments in the heel and ankle joint, but Ginobili opted to play for Argentina in the Olympics after rest and rehabilitation eliminated pain in the joint before he began practicing with his national team.

He re-injured the joint in Argentina’s Olympic semifials game against the United States.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/Ginobili_having_surgery_as_contract_talks_put_on_h old.html

Cherry
09-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Good news :tu

ducks
09-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Good news :tu

now you can kiss it better

Cherry
09-03-2008, 07:41 PM

stfu :sucker:p:

timvp
09-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Sounds like good news. Hopefully everything went as planned.

milkyway21
09-03-2008, 07:54 PM
thanks God! :angel

thekingrobert
09-03-2008, 07:57 PM
let's hope he's a quick healer

duncan228
09-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the news Spurs Brazil. Here's to Manu rehabing completely and in a timely way.

milkyway21
09-03-2008, 08:08 PM
what's the USUAL timetable for players who had the same ankle surgery before? was it really just two to three months?

was Grant Hill's surgery same as Manu?

they said it was successful, but there's still a possibility that after this surgey things don't go well, they'd do another one again, right? I heard some.

romad_20
09-03-2008, 08:20 PM
what's the USUAL timetable for players who had the same ankle surgery before? was it really just two to three months?

was Grant Hill's surgery same as Manu?

they said it was successful, but there's still a possibility that after this surgey things don't go well, they'd do another one again, right? I heard some.

Which one of Grant Hill's injuries are you talking about? Seriously though, I thought Grant Hill broke something in his ankle or had something wrong with the bone

century
09-03-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm glad the surgery went OK. But it is just too early to tell how well he recovers.

RashoFan
09-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Manu is going to be happy with a posterior splint...he will be able to take the darn thing off when it is driving him crazy( believe me, I can relate :lol).
I am glad that the surgery went well and I hope Manu has a speedy recovery.

P.s. don't fall off the shower chair while trying to keep your foot elavated and dry.

mytespurs
09-03-2008, 08:47 PM

I for one would love to!!!!!! :king

MaNuMaNiAc
09-03-2008, 09:03 PM

and then you ask why the fuck we are on your case...

Instead of celebrating the successful surgery of one of the main cogs of the Spurs system, you berate someone who does. Now do you get where we're coming from, jackass?

Man In Black
09-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Fuck you Ducks and I mean that in as mean a way as possible. I love Tony Parker but I don't have to go Gay for him the way you do. There is a reason why Tim, Tony and Manu are called the Big Three. Perhaps that Yuma Heat has given you a severe form of heat stroke.

spursfan09
09-03-2008, 09:55 PM
I think I get where Ducks is coming from. he is obviously a TP fan more than a manu fan, Which is fine because so am I, but he probably just got into a heated debate with another fan and now kind of second thinks saying nice things about manu. Sometimes thats how I feel too, but not in this case. I love manu and can not freaken wait until he's back.

Spooky
09-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Sweet

:sombrero:

smrattler
09-03-2008, 10:32 PM
I wish I could get as excited as some of you about this.

Yay.

rj215
09-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Good news! Hopefully he recovers an gets that contract extension.

Solid D
09-03-2008, 11:39 PM
http://www.scoi.com/doctors/detail_alpha.php?id=5

http://www.scoi.com/images/doctors2/rdf.jpg

Richard D. Ferkel, MD
Dr. Ferkel grew up in Illinois and attended UCLA where he played football for two years. Subsequently, he graduated from Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago and accomplished his orthopedic training at UCLA.

He completed fellowship training in Sports Medicine and Reconstructive Knee and Shoulder Surgery at the Southern California Orthopedic Institute, and had additional training in foot and ankle surgery at that time.

He is currently the Director of the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program at Southern California Orthopedic Institute. Dr. Ferkel has published numerous articles regarding the shoulder, knee, foot and ankle, and sports medicine. He co-edited the book, "Prosthetic Ligament Reconstruction of the Knee," and authored the text book "Arthroscopic Surgery of the Foot and Ankle." He lectures extensively all over the world. In addition, he has invented numerous surgical devices and performed live surgery throughout Europe. He has received numerous awards and was selected to be in the book entitled "The Best Doctors in America."

Dr. Ferkel is a Clinical Instructor of Orthopedic Surgery at UCLA, and was Chief of Arthroscopic Surgery at Wadsworth Veterans Hospital for fifteen years. He is a member of Arthroscopy Association of North America, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopedic Sports Medicine, and the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society.

He is a Qualified Medical Examiner (Q.M.E.) for the State of California Industrial Medical Council, Department of Industrial Relations.

Dr. Ferkel started the Athletic Training Program at Southern California Orthopedic Institute. In addition, he has been the Team Physician for Crespi, Oaks Christian, and Harvard-Westlake High Schools, and Los Angeles Valley College for many years. He has worked with the U.S. Olympic teams, U.S. Soccer Team, Special Olympics, and is a consultant to the NFL, MLB, and NBA.

Outside of the office, Dr. Ferkel enjoys playing tennis, skiing, drumming, and spending time with his family. He also assists in fund raising for a variety of charities.

Dr. Ferkel is available to see patients at the Van Nuys and Bakersfield offices.

ducks
09-03-2008, 11:47 PM
some people can not stand a joke
gees maybe they need to get out some more

milkyway21
09-04-2008, 02:14 AM
http://www.scoi.com/doctors/detail_alpha.php?id=5

http://www.scoi.com/images/doctors2/rdf.jpg

Richard D. Ferkel, MD
Dr. Ferkel grew up in Illinois and attended UCLA where he played football for two years. Subsequently, he graduated from Northwestern University Medical School in Chicago and accomplished his orthopedic training at UCLA.

He completed fellowship training in Sports Medicine and Reconstructive Knee and Shoulder Surgery at the Southern California Orthopedic Institute, and had additional training in foot and ankle surgery at that time.

He is currently the Director of the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program at Southern California Orthopedic Institute. Dr. Ferkel has published numerous articles regarding the shoulder, knee, foot and ankle, and sports medicine. He co-edited the book, "Prosthetic Ligament Reconstruction of the Knee," and authored the text book "Arthroscopic Surgery of the Foot and Ankle." He lectures extensively all over the world. In addition, he has invented numerous surgical devices and performed live surgery throughout Europe. He has received numerous awards and was selected to be in the book entitled "The Best Doctors in America."

Dr. Ferkel is a Clinical Instructor of Orthopedic Surgery at UCLA, and was Chief of Arthroscopic Surgery at Wadsworth Veterans Hospital for fifteen years. He is a member of Arthroscopy Association of North America, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, International Society for Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopedic Sports Medicine, and the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society.

He is a Qualified Medical Examiner (Q.M.E.) for the State of California Industrial Medical Council, Department of Industrial Relations.

Dr. Ferkel started the Athletic Training Program at Southern California Orthopedic Institute. In addition, he has been the Team Physician for Crespi, Oaks Christian, and Harvard-Westlake High Schools, and Los Angeles Valley College for many years. He has worked with the U.S. Olympic teams, U.S. Soccer Team, Special Olympics, and is a consultant to the NFL, MLB, and NBA.

Outside of the office, Dr. Ferkel enjoys playing tennis, skiing, drumming, and spending time with his family. He also assists in fund raising for a variety of charities.

Dr. Ferkel is available to see patients at the Van Nuys and Bakersfield offices.
thanks, Solid D.

T Park
09-04-2008, 02:25 AM
The surgery that should've been done in June was successfull.

Hoorah.

polandprzem
09-04-2008, 02:29 AM
T Park as a doctor :tu

T Park
09-04-2008, 02:32 AM
poland as an idiot :tu

Yes, really. No matter how smart your mom told you that you are, it's not true

Kori Ellis
09-04-2008, 02:40 AM
Manu Ginobili underwent successful arthroscopic surgery to correct a posterior impingement of his left ankle.

I wish I understood what they did to fix it.

I understand that the ligament was too stretched out. So what did they do to tighten it? Cut and then re-attach it? Tie it to shorten it up?

polandprzem
09-04-2008, 02:47 AM
You can talk shit about me

Don't talk about my Mom

aight?

Obstructed_View
09-04-2008, 06:42 AM
I wish I understood what they did to fix it.

I understand that the ligament was too stretched out. So what did they do to tighten it? Cut and then re-attach it? Tie it to shorten it up?

I hope not. That's how they fix a stretched ligament, but I thought the impingement was due to thickening of the ligament, and all they have to do in that case is shave it down so it doesn't get caught in the bones. I'm also thinking that the surgery to tighten the ligament isn't arthroscopic. From the very little I've read, it looks like the recovery times are significantly different, so if he had the cut and re-attach procedure, he'll be out a lot longer.

ShoogarBear
09-04-2008, 06:54 AM
What? He was operated on by Dr. Urkel???

Kori Ellis
09-04-2008, 06:59 AM
I hope not. That's how they fix a stretched ligament, but I thought the impingement was due to thickening of the ligament, and all they have to do in that case is shave it down so it doesn't get caught in the bones. I'm also thinking that the surgery to tighten the ligament isn't arthroscopic. From the very little I've read, it looks like the recovery times are significantly different, so if he had the cut and re-attach procedure, he'll be out a lot longer.

Thanks. I read this and now I understand it more. I assume he had the first one (debridement) though it says its for anterior and Manu's was posterior.

Debridement

Debridement is the most common surgery for anterior ankle impingement. Many surgeons prefer to perform this procedure with an arthroscope. An arthroscope is a tiny TV camera that can be inserted into a very small incision. It allows the surgeon to see the area where he or she is working on a TV screen.

To begin, two small incisions are made through the skin on each side of the impingement area. The surgeon inserts the arthroscope to see which area of the tendons or joint capsule are irritated and thickened. The arthroscope lets the doctor see if a meniscoid lesion (mentioned earlier) is present. A small shaver is used to clear away (debride) irritated tissue from the affected ligaments. The surgeon also debrides the tissue forming a meniscoid lesion and any areas of the joint capsule that are inflamed. Small forceps may also be used to clear away irritated or inflamed tissue.

Small bone spurs on the tibia or talus are removed. If the spurs are large, the surgeon may decide to create a new incision over or next to the spur. This allows a special instrument, called an osteotome, to be inserted. The surgeon uses the osteotome to carefully remove these larger bone spurs.

Before concluding the procedure, a fluoroscope is used to check the debridement and to make sure no bony fragments remain. A fluoroscope is a special X-ray machine that allows the surgeon to see a live X-ray picture on a TV screen during surgery. When the surgeon is satisfied that debridement and removal of bone fragments is complete, the skin is stitched together.

Os Trigonum Excision

The goal of an os trigonum excision is to carefully remove (excise) the os trigonum to alleviate pinching of the tissues above or below it. It is standard to use an open surgical method which requires a one- to two-inch incision over the outer part of the back of the ankle. An arthroscope is not routinely used for os trigonum excision because there are many nerves and blood vessels in the back of the ankle that could be injured by an arthroscope.

This surgery begins by placing the patient face down on the operating table. The surgeon makes a small incision over the lateral side of the back of the ankle, just behind the outer anklebone. A retractor is used to carefully hold the nearby tendons, nerves, and blood vessels out of the way. The surgeon locates the os trigonum. A scalpel is usually sufficient to dissect the os trigonum. However, if a bony bridge binds the os trigonum to the talus, the surgeon may need to use a chisel or osteotome.

A fluoroscope is used to check for any remaining bony fragments. When the surgeon is satisfied that all bone fragments have been removed, the skin is stitched together. Patients are placed in a special splint designed to protect the ankle and to keep the foot from pointing downward.

http://www.eorthopod.com/public/patient_education/6583/ankle_impingement_problems.html

Kori Ellis
09-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Also from that page, I thought this line was interesting:

Posterior impingement can also occur in a ballet dancer who has had a previous ankle sprain. Damage from the past ankle sprain may create too much instability in the ankle. As the dancer rises up on the toes, the talus may be free to slide forward slightly. This allows the shelf of the heelbone to come into contact with the back of the tibia, pinching the soft tissues in between. Posterior impingement from ankle instability can also happen in other athletes. But this is uncommon, because forceful plantarflexion is rarely required in other sports.

Obstructed_View
09-04-2008, 07:09 AM
The press release said he's going to have a boot and crutches for three weeks. From all the information out there, I don't think he could have had anything but debridement and be on that schedule.

smeagol
09-04-2008, 07:30 AM
The surgery that should've been done in June was successfull.

Hoorah.

Talking out off you ass again.

Mmm . . . kay . . .

dbestpro
09-04-2008, 11:09 AM
He should have tried accupuncture.

Cherry
09-04-2008, 11:14 AM
The surgery that we will never see in March was successfull.

Hoorah.

Fixed :)

urunobili
09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
anyone has a pic of manu in crutches? i bet he'd hate to get one of those taken... just a paparazzi at the airport could make it happen...

I. Hustle
09-04-2008, 11:33 AM
It depends on the method the doctor uses. Using the excrusion method he could potentially damage the unilateral metacarpel thus further inflamating excuse me I meant masturbating the infringment. If he decides to use the profuse method and decided to infuse the third, fourth, and fifth capillaries bringing about a full recovery of the negatory artesian ligament. It’s all scientific, y’all wouldn’t understand.

temujin
09-04-2008, 12:07 PM

Correct.

In addition, they proceed in partial synovectomy with debridement of scar tissue. In other words, they clean-up the post-inflammatory mess.

The success rate is quite high.
At any rate, I wouldn't want to see Manu back before Christmas.

The cut-and-paste surgery -not required in this case- is more invasive and requires longer periods of recovery, 4-6 months.

Spurtacus
09-05-2008, 12:15 AM
Get well Manu.