PDA

View Full Version : so are the spurs signing hill by the 29th

ducks
09-04-2008, 12:19 AM
2008-09 NBA Calendar

Sept. 29—Players report to their teams no earlier than 11 a.m. local time.

Sept. 30—Training camps open.

Oct. 9-17—NBA Europe Live exhibition games.

Oct. 24—Preseason ends.

Oct. 27—Rosters set for opening day, 6 p.m. EDT.

Oct. 28—Start of the 2008-09 regular season.

Jan. 5—10-day contracts may now be signed.

Jan. 10—All player contracts are guaranteed for the remainder of the season.

Feb. 15—All-Star game (Phoenix).

Feb. 19—Trading deadline, 3 p.m. EST.

April 26—Early entry eligibility deadline, 11:59 p.m. EDT.

June 18—NBA draft early entry entrant withdrawal deadline.

June 25—NBA draft (New York).

honestfool84
09-04-2008, 12:21 AM
i wonder why i read the subject as "so are the spurs over the hill by the 29th?".

i need to slow down.

phyzik
09-04-2008, 02:05 AM
he's guaranteed a contract. He was drafted in the first round.

Come on Ducks, your slipping. Focus.....

FOCUS!!!!

timvp
09-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Is there any other first round pick not yet signed? I don't know of one.

he's guaranteed a contract. He was drafted in the first round.False. See: Knight, Travis.

mountainballer
09-04-2008, 03:13 AM
Is there any other first round pick not yet signed? I don't know of one.

no, not one. (this includes Ibaka, who signed in Spain with Manresa). the last outside Hill was Giddens, who the Celtics signed 10 days ago.

I'm pretty sure the Spurs see a signing of Hill as something like the plan F or G, if they can't find a FA who finally is willing to come to SA (then they will try to trade Hill's rights for a future pick), or get someone in a trade (with Hill's rights as a teaser in the package). if they in fact sign him, it will be because they were not able to do any better. that's sad.

Obstructed_View
09-04-2008, 06:54 AM
That's even less confidence inspiring than Hill's shooting in the SL.

ShoogarBear
09-04-2008, 07:11 AM
no, not one. (this includes Ibaka, who signed in Spain with Manresa). the last outside Hill was Giddens, who the Celtics signed 10 days ago.

I'm pretty sure the Spurs see a signing of Hill as something like the plan F or G, if they can't find a FA who finally is willing to come to SA (then they will try to trade Hill's rights for a future pick), or get someone in a trade (with Hill's rights as a teaser in the package). if they in fact sign him, it will be because they were not able to do any better. that's sad.

Would they be prohibited from trading him for a period if they signed him now?

Obstructed_View
09-04-2008, 07:13 AM

Don't they have to sign him to a scale relative to where he was picked? If that's the case, who would want him? I hope this isn't another case of the Spurs trying to move a backup point guard when his value is at its absolutely lowest, but it wouldn't surprise me.

mountainballer
09-04-2008, 07:15 AM

yes, a rookie can't be traded for 30 days after the signing.

ShoogarBear
09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
If they're considering trading him now, they had to have been considering it 30 days ago. They should have signed him then. :bang

ShoogarBear
09-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Don't they have to sign him to a scale relative to where he was picked? If that's the case, who would want him? I hope this isn't another case of the Spurs trying to move a backup point guard when his value is at its absolutely lowest, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I think his salary is more or less fixed to a certain range, which makes his not being signed all the more unusual.

AusSpursFan
09-04-2008, 08:04 AM
I have no doubt that this kid has been working his ass off since summer league. I want to see him given a shot in preseason before any final decisions are made.

coyotes_geek
09-04-2008, 08:12 AM
In addition to Hill, a tender offer also needs to be made to Hairston by September 6th, otherwise he becomes a FA.

TheProfessor
09-04-2008, 08:24 AM
In addition to Hill, a tender offer also needs to be made to Hairston by September 6th, otherwise he becomes a FA.
Wow, C_G on ST. Best acquisition of the summer :lol

Do you think they're stalling in case a trade materializes? What's taking so long?

coyotes_geek
09-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Wow, C_G on ST. Best acquisition of the summer :lol

Figured I'd see for myself if the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence.

Do you think they're stalling in case a trade materializes? What's taking so long?

Two weeks ago I'd have guessed it was just RC being pre-occupied with other pursuits and/or scouting the Olympics. But, that's obviously not a factor anymore. As best I can figure the longer this drags out, the more likely this is the Spurs holding out for some kind of trade. Maybe the Spurs are trying to swing another Salmons/Speedy type deal? The Spurs have that TE from the Beno trade, so they could be out there looking for some player still on a rookie contract who already has a year or two of NBA experience under their belt and seeing if Hill's rights are enough to make it work.

mountainballer
09-04-2008, 09:18 AM

damn, that in two days.
as the lonesome driver and single passenger of the Hairston bandwagon (yes, I know how he looked in the SL, but still saw something that could make us pretty happy one day) I would love to see him on the roster.

for those who think this is naive: remember Ramon Sessions? yes, the guy who suddenly looked like a steal of the 2007 draft when he got minutes at the end of last season. he also looked ugly in the SL after he was drafted.
and Landry also didn't exactly look like the steal he in fact was. (he wasn't signed before camp started in October btw.)

the best part of Hairston's game is his ability to slash and finish around the rim. this would be very welcomed at this roster, especially as long as Manu is out.
don't get me wrong, I don't think he will be a regular rotation guy. maybe spend most of the season in Austin. but don't give up on him.

The Truth #6
09-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Our pursuit of Pargo, coupled with our reluctance to sign Hill, does not overtly indicate confidence in Hill.

However, perhaps there's another scenario. Maybe they are trying to deal Bonner and trying to throw in Hill and the TE to see what they can get. I'm not saying other teams are going to jump at that idea, but it's just a guess. I'm imagining the delay isn't just about Hill but other additional factors.

And if the delay works to lower Hill's confidence, well that's par for the course.

pad300
09-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Our pursuit of Pargo, coupled with our reluctance to sign Hill, does not overtly indicate confidence in Hill.

However, perhaps there's another scenario. Maybe they are trying to deal Bonner and trying to throw in Hill and the TE to see what they can get. I'm not saying other teams are going to jump at that idea, but it's just a guess. I'm imagining the delay isn't just about Hill but other additional factors.

And if the delay works to lower Hill's confidence, well that's par for the course.

I wonder if they are trying to lowball Hill like what they did with Ian - there is some flexibility in rookie contracts (from 80 to 120% of the rookie scale). They got Ian to accept 80% of the rookie scale; I wonder if they are trying to do the same with Hill?

mountainballer
09-04-2008, 11:07 AM
However, perhaps there's another scenario. Maybe they are trying to deal Bonner and trying to throw in Hill and the TE to see what they can get.

you can't trow in a TE in a package (TE can only be used directly for a trade for a player with the same or lower salary as the TE is), but about the other part I agree.
Hill's rights as the teaser in a package with Bonner makes the most sense.
(I thought maybe they could trade for players like Kris Humphries or Charlie Bell, of course only if they don't care for 2010)

coyotes_geek
09-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I wonder if they are trying to lowball Hill like what they did with Ian - there is some flexibility in rookie contracts (from 80 to 120% of the rookie scale). They got Ian to accept 80% of the rookie scale; I wonder if they are trying to do the same with Hill?

That is a possibility. We're not talking huge bucks because a late 1st round pick isn't getting big money anyways. But, if the Spurs are thinking about cap space in 2010, getting Hill to take 80% of scale in 2010-2011, as opposed to 120%, would lower his cap figure by $385,720.

tlongII
09-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Well at least he doesn't smoke weed!

ducks
09-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Well at least he doesn't smoke weed!

also does not hurt himself getting off the coach

DPG21920
09-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Hairston becomes a FA if he does not get an offer by the 6th and Hill by the 29th right?

MoSpur
09-04-2008, 12:42 PM
It makes me wonder too why they haven't signed him. I know he didn't do all too good in the rookie games, but c'mon. Unless there is something in the works or maybe Pop just didn't like him all that much like he thought he did.

coyotes_geek
09-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Hill already got his offer. The Spurs had to do that back in July. The Spurs could have just offered Hill 80% scale for all 3 years knowing that he wouldn't take it, thus buying them time to do whatever it is that they're doing during this delay in getting him signed.

urunobili
09-04-2008, 12:45 PM
it has to be trade fodder...

spurster
09-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Maybe they want him to go sightseeing in Europe for a year or two.

DPG21920
09-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Hill already got his offer. The Spurs had to do that back in July. The Spurs could have just offered Hill 80% scale for all 3 years knowing that he wouldn't take it, thus buying them time to do whatever it is that they're doing during this delay in getting him signed.

They had to make him an offer before SL

Manufan909
09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Well hopefully he gets a shot in preseason.

I'm only asking for pure speculation here, but who do you think the starting five for SA will be? I'm hoping Hill, Mason, Udoka, Ian, and Bonner. Just because they will probably get the fewest minutes at their postion to start(with Mason and Ian I'd just like to get them in the fire early). If KT, Fab, Bowen, Duncan, Parker, Vaughn, or Finley start, I'll be pissed. Those guys are guareented minutes in the RS, lets the new people get all the PT before.

wisnub
09-04-2008, 11:57 PM
WASTED PICK WHAT A STUPID FUCKING FO SA!!!!! For Pop: If you thrilled that Hill was still there on 26th pick, why it took forever to sign him. Look at Chalmers numbers in Summer League. I got nothing to say watchin Chalmers video in Summer League. GREAT PICK!!! MIGHT AS WELL TRADE 26th pick with money...or one of Holtcrane

DPG21920
09-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Bump........

So has anyone heard of the Spurs making Hairston an offer or is he now a UFA?

wisnub
09-06-2008, 03:17 PM
he's guaranteed a contract. He was drafted in the first round.

Come on Ducks, your slipping. Focus.....

FOCUS!!!!

I dont know if first round pick is guaranteed for a contract....the question is why wait until 29th? I suppose he's the only one which is not sign. If Spurs want to trade him...why wait any longer? nobodys interested? Might as well pick Chalmers or whoever else...THIS IS A WASTED PICK. I hope Spurs will got 26th or lower on 2009 or else this one really is a bust. His performance in Summer League was dissapointed, I hope it will change. I think i can focus on that.

Brutalis
09-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't know but the person last night that bought the George Hill autographed rookie card for 15 bucks is a fucking retard. "asian" something was their name.

Bruno
09-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Bump........

So has anyone heard of the Spurs making Hairston an offer or is he now a UFA?

Spurs had no reason not to make the required tender given it could be fully non guaranteed.

Bruno
09-06-2008, 05:30 PM
I wonder if he is in talks with an overseas team. I doubt they would want someone from IUPUI but you never know, and you never know if the Spurs changed their mind on him.

We are late in the summer. Most teams in Europe have started their training camps.
Hairston and/or Hill chances to go overseas are really thin right now. In all likelihood, they will sign with Spurs somewhere before the training camp.

mario23torres
09-06-2008, 06:45 PM
I hope they sign Hill soon.

ducks
09-21-2008, 11:05 PM
bumb

ploto
09-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Hill can force the issue- can he not? If he wants to be on the Spurs.

Solid D
09-21-2008, 11:35 PM
As I mentioned the other day, the Spurs could have been waiting to see what other Free Agents could be signed (i.e. Salim Stoudamire?) and at what rate before committing to the exact amount of George's contract.

Most 1st-round picks sign for 120% of the scale, but G-Hill may not be signing for the full 120% in year 1. 1st-round picks can sign for between 80%-120% of the Rookie scale. The 26th pick Rookie scale is $838,500, so the Spurs may be playing with $335K and Hill is going along with it.

ChuckD
09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Hill can force the issue- can he not? If he wants to be on the Spurs.

They've made him an offer, probably a low one. The only way he can "force" anything is to accept.

Manufan909
09-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah dude, even I know that. Hill forcing the Spurs to do anything besides let him pay them to get minutes is impossible.