ATRAIN
09-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Angels

Reggie Miller
09-04-2008, 10:57 AM
AL

East = Tampa Bay Rays
Central = Minnesota Twins
West = California Angels (it's just easier that way, damn it)
WC = Boston RedSox

ALCS = Boston v. Tampa Bay

NL

East = Philadelphia Phillies
Central = Chicago Cubs
West = Arizona Diamondbacks
WC = Milwaukee Brewers

NLCS = Chicago v. Philadelphia

World Series = Chicago Cubs v. Tampa Bay Rays, Chicago in six (6) games.

I pretty much went with the safe "chalk" picks. It is September, after all.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Colorado and/or Houston got back in the mix, however.

ATRAIN
09-04-2008, 11:19 AM
I pretty much went with the safe "chalk" picks. It is September, after all.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Colorado and/or Houston got back in the mix, however.

They are working on it :), if they do make it however there is no way we could make the series. We don't have the pitching to do it. Depending on matchups if we somehow made the WC, we would lose first round.

Reggie Miller
09-04-2008, 01:13 PM
They are working on it :), if they do make it however there is no way we could make the series. We don't have the pitching to do it. Depending on matchups if we somehow made the WC, we would lose first round.

Sweeping two of the teams ahead of you in a one-week span certainly helps.

I do agree that the Astros aren't capable of beating the ALCS winner. Right now, I don't see why they couldn't take a five game NLDS series, however. They didn't just beat the Cubs; they made them look bad in the process.

IronMexican
09-04-2008, 01:22 PM
LA(Homer pick) vs Tampa, Tampa in 5, maybe 6.

ATRAIN
09-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Sweeping two of the teams ahead of you in a one-week span certainly helps.

I do agree that the Astros aren't capable of beating the ALCS winner. Right now, I don't see why they couldn't take a five game NLDS series, however. They didn't just beat the Cubs; they made them look bad in the process.

Yeah but you have to weigh in that the 2 teams we swept are division rivals. Even the Pirates play them hard and thats why I am worried about our 4 game series against the Pirates. AS bad as they are they show up to play us. Shit they swept us last time we played them, but now they are Nady and Bay less so hopefully we can sweep them. Colorado isnt playing good ball either so there is no reason why we shouldnt be at a 15 game win streak by the end of the pirates series. We even get the cubs again at home next weekend so if we play them as good as we did this last series, its possible to be within a few games of the wc or even in the wc lead depending on how good the other 3 teams do. True colorado caught fire like this last year and they made it to the show. Same goes for a few years back when the stros made it. It was a run just like this and we got our asses handed to us by the chisox. Roy is back to ace form, Wandy has been our most consistant pitcher, and Moelher and Wolf are doing well. Our only big "fuck me in the ass" is Backe. Bitch gives up a HR almost everytime he is out there. Shit the cubs had 3 against him, but luckily there were no runners on base. If we do happen to make the playoffs I say give Sampson the start.

misterx91578
09-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Angels

T Park
09-05-2008, 03:55 PM
I personally don't see how the Timberwolves can win the World Series...

misterx91578
09-05-2008, 04:10 PM

and someone voted for them:rollin

Supergirl
09-05-2008, 04:11 PM

LOL, that's funny. I didn't even realize I had made that mistake...nor did anyone, apparently, notice it before you. I meant, of course, the Minnesota Twins.

T Park
09-05-2008, 04:17 PM
LOL, that's funny. I didn't even realize I had made that mistake...nor did anyone, apparently, notice it before you. I meant, of course, the Minnesota Twins.

I know.

Its no biggie, I tried to do the FWD comedy bit :lol

T Park
09-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Sox Brewers World Series.

Sox in 4.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Rangers

09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
st.louis cardinals and boston red sox

ATRAIN
09-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Sox Brewers World Series.

Sox in 4.

Which sox?

JMarkJohns
09-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Brewers vs. Angels, Angels in six.

Rip-Hamilton32
09-09-2008, 02:53 PM
:downspin: jays and cubs

JudynTX
09-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Do the White Sox have a shot?

turiaf for president
09-10-2008, 10:04 AM
angels
white sox
rays
redsox

dodgers
cubs
mets
astros

angels
rays

dodgers
astros

Dodgers v Angels. Angels in 6

IronMexican
09-10-2008, 10:10 AM
angels
white sox
rays
redsox

dodgers
cubs
mets
astros

angels
rays

dodgers
astros

Dodgers v Angels. Angels in 6

:bking

Fabbs
09-10-2008, 10:16 AM
Angels-Red Sox

Mets- Cubs

Angels over Red Sox

Reggie Miller
09-16-2008, 04:23 PM
I can't believe how many people are seriously picking the Angels. Good God! Y'all do realize that their divisional games are played against AAAA teams like Texas and Seattle, right? After the white flag trade, you might as well lump Oakland into the AAAA category as well.

The Angels simply do not have the offense to win it all. They score the second fewest runs per game of any of the AL contenders. (For the record, I had assumed they were the lowest. Tampa Bay sort of surprised me here.)

Boston Red Sox = 5.3 RPG (Runs Per Game)
Minnesota Twins = 5.1 RPG
Chicago White Sox = 5.0 RPG
California Angels = 4.7 RPG
Tampa Bay Rays = 4.6 RPG

They have the worst run differential of the contenders.

Boston Red Sox = + 166
Minnesota Twins = + 94
Chicago White Sox = + 91
Tampa Bay Rays = + 78
California Angels = + 71

Points in favor of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Other Locales in Southern California and/or Japan:

1. Pitching looks good in a short series.
2. Winning record against the "tougher" AL East and Central as well as the weak sisters of the AL West.
3. Winning record at home.
4. Winning record on the road.
5. Winning record in Interleague Play.
6. Winning record against teams > .500.

You don't do that by accident. Don't get me wrong. The Angels are a good team, but I have to believe that the Red Sox would destroy them in a seven game series. (I hate the Red Sox, just for the record.)

AFBlue
09-16-2008, 09:30 PM

You also messed up Tampa...it's just the Rays (no devil). If the owner found out you'd owe him $1.

turiaf for president
09-16-2008, 10:34 PM
I can't believe how many people are seriously picking the Angels. Good God! Y'all do realize that their divisional games are played against AAAA teams like Texas and Seattle, right? After the white flag trade, you might as well lump Oakland into the AAAA category as well.

The Angels simply do not have the offense to win it all. They score the second fewest runs per game of any of the AL contenders. (For the record, I had assumed they were the lowest. Tampa Bay sort of surprised me here.)

Boston Red Sox = 5.3 RPG (Runs Per Game)
Minnesota Twins = 5.1 RPG
Chicago White Sox = 5.0 RPG
California Angels = 4.7 RPG
Tampa Bay Rays = 4.6 RPG

They have the worst run differential of the contenders.

Boston Red Sox = + 166
Minnesota Twins = + 94
Chicago White Sox = + 91
Tampa Bay Rays = + 78
California Angels = + 71

Points in favor of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Other Locales in Southern California and/or Japan:

1. Pitching looks good in a short series.
2. Winning record against the "tougher" AL East and Central as well as the weak sisters of the AL West.
3. Winning record at home.
4. Winning record on the road.
5. Winning record in Interleague Play.
6. Winning record against teams > .500.

You don't do that by accident. Don't get me wrong. The Angels are a good team, but I have to believe that the Red Sox would destroy them in a seven game series. (I hate the Red Sox, just for the record.)

the fact that the angels have the best record in baseball yet is behind the lead in run differential shows how well the team finishes a game. you have a lopsided game with a 7-0 lead and the opposing pitcher might have to take it for the team and keep pitching to save the bullpen for the next game. Angels having a winning record against the East and Central just proved how good they are. they have a winning record at home, road, and most importantly against >.500 teams.

pitching wins in the post season. ask the red sox with beckett and schilling. ask the dbacks with schilling and johnson.

Reggie Miller
09-16-2008, 10:54 PM
the fact that the angels have the best record in baseball yet is behind the lead in run differential shows how well the team finishes a game. you have a lopsided game with a 7-0 lead and the opposing pitcher might have to take it for the team and keep pitching to save the bullpen for the next game. Angels having a winning record against the East and Central just proved how good they are. they have a winning record at home, road, and most importantly against >.500 teams.

pitching wins in the post season. ask the red sox with beckett and schilling. ask the dbacks with schilling and johnson.

A quick glance at the stats suggests that they have really piled it on some bad teams. Otherwise, the Angels' run differential would be even worse. They have already outperformed their projection by 10 games. (The projection assumed offensive offense, if you will pardon the bad humor.)

I agree pitching wins in the postseason, and the Angels are where they are today based on their arms. On the other hand, do you really want Vlad to be your best offensive player? That would scare the shit out of me (as an Angels' fan).

I keep thinking about the 2005 ALCS. When the Angels' lineup ran into premier pitching, they had no answer whatsoever. Three years ago would normally mean diddley, but the Angels lineup is actually much weaker this year and features many of the same guys (only older).

I have nothing against the Angels. God knows I would rather see them in the World Series over anyone but the White Sox. My lifelong dream is to have the Cubs defeat the White Sox for the WS in a deciding game at Wrigley. I don't even hate the White Sox like most Cubs' fans, but growing up, neither team had even sniffed a championship since the demise of the Edsel.

turiaf for president
09-16-2008, 11:41 PM
A quick glance at the stats suggests that they have really piled it on some bad teams. Otherwise, the Angels' run differential would be even worse. They have already outperformed their projection by 10 games. (The projection assumed offensive offense, if you will pardon the bad humor.)

I agree pitching wins in the postseason, and the Angels are where they are today based on their arms. On the other hand, do you really want Vlad to be your best offensive player? That would scare the shit out of me (as an Angels' fan).

I keep thinking about the 2005 ALCS. When the Angels' lineup ran into premier pitching, they had no answer whatsoever. Three years ago would normally mean diddley, but the Angels lineup is actually much weaker this year and features many of the same guys (only older).

I have nothing against the Angels. God knows I would rather see them in the World Series over anyone but the White Sox. My lifelong dream is to have the Cubs defeat the White Sox for the WS in a deciding game at Wrigley. I don't even hate the White Sox like most Cubs' fans, but growing up, neither team had even sniffed a championship since the demise of the Edsel.

that arguement can be made against the redsox this year. with a banged up beckett, and dice k sliding a bit down the stretch, the angels have a superior pitching staff. bostons lineup is better but vlad texiera and hunter have been getting it done all year so why not now? its not like they are like A rod and shrink in the post season

Reggie Miller
09-17-2008, 12:01 AM
that arguement can be made against the redsox this year. with a banged up beckett, and dice k sliding a bit down the stretch, the angels have a superior pitching staff. bostons lineup is better but vlad texiera and hunter have been getting it done all year so why not now? its not like they are like A rod and shrink in the post season

Again, I don't want to be seen as heaping crap on the Angels. They earned their record (see above posts).

The Red Sox have real hitters who can do damage up and down their lineup. Losing Ramirez is nothing to sneeze at, and I think people keep mentally filling him into that lineup. Guess what? You don't replace that production, and some of Boston's run differential is now garbage, to be honest.

Even then, the Angels' offense would still concern me. Anderson is a shell of himself. Vlad can be relied upon to hack like it's April well into October. Do I need to provide more examples?

The Angels could win it all, and I wouldn't call it luck. OTOH, it would require the hitters to start peaking right about now. As in, the sooner the better!

Brodels
09-20-2008, 10:33 PM
If at least one of Drew and Lowell is available and productive, the Red Sox. If not, the lovable losers from the north side.

AFBlue
09-20-2008, 11:28 PM
I didn't vote for the Rays b/c I'm a bit superstitous, but I think they've got a legit shot.

They play solid defense, don't rely on one or two players to get it done, have a decent bullpen, are well coached, and have alot of momentum and team chemistry going into the post season.

It would seem that this team is too young and inexperienced, but they've been stepping up in tight spots all year and pulling it out. Obviously October is something new, but I think the Rays just might have what it takes.

Reggie Miller
09-21-2008, 04:06 PM
I didn't vote for the Rays b/c I'm a bit superstitous, but I think they've got a legit shot.

They play solid defense, don't rely on one or two players to get it done, have a decent bullpen, are well coached, and have alot of momentum and team chemistry going into the post season.

It would seem that this team is too young and inexperienced, but they've been stepping up in tight spots all year and pulling it out. Obviously October is something new, but I think the Rays just might have what it takes.

They're certainly no fluke, as some still seem to believe. I wouldn't be shocked if they won the WS. (I picked them to make it.)