PDA

View Full Version : Rice To Iran: Take Euro Carrot or Face US Stick!

Nbadan
02-09-2005, 02:10 PM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050208/i/r2034677761.jpg

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (news - web sites) said on Wednesday that Iran should be warned it faces referral to the U.N. Security Council for possible sanctions unless it accepts a European deal on its nuclear program.

"(The) Iranians need to hear that if they are unwilling to take the deal, really, that the Europeans are giving ... then the Security Council looms," Rice told Fox News.

"I don't know that anyone has said that as clearly as they should to the Iranians," she said in a comment aimed not only at pressuring Tehran but also at spurring the big three European powers negotiating with Iran to get tougher with the Islamic Republic.

<snip>

"They (Iran) need to hear that the discussions they are in with the Europeans are not going to be a kind of way-station, where they are allowed to continue their activities, that there's going to be an end to this and that they are going to end up in the Security Council," Rice said.

Yahoo News (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=578&ncid=578&e=3&u=/nm/20050209/ts_nm/iran_usa_rice_dc)

So in Iraq we cut off the UN inspectors just before they finished inspections (finding nothing, of course) and now the administration seems to be playing the same game with Iran. So in a year or two, when the war with Iran is in full swing, they can say they followed proper protocol and gave the UN a chance to find a diplomatic solution...

Too bad the American public doesn't seem to heed the profound words of our fair-less leader when he said "fool me once, er...um...can't get fooled again"

MannyIsGod
02-09-2005, 02:14 PM
:lmao @ the thread title, that is classic.

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Not that I care about seeing an invasion of Iran, but shouldn't some form of deterrent be offered in order to induce Iran to accept the deal?

CommanderMcBragg
02-09-2005, 02:25 PM
I believe it's called the war in Iraq.