PDA

View Full Version : Question for the computer Gods around here

2Blonde
09-04-2008, 10:13 PM
About 1 - 2 weeks ago I began noticing tat some of my downloads weren't coming through. It seems as though the updates to current programs is working fine (AVG, Windows Vista, Logitech, etc...) The new programs I want to install (win amp) or new fonts I want to install start out OK but then just quit. I get the screen asking if I want to run or save. I click run and then the screen disappears and nothing. Or I click save, tell it where to download (ex. desktop) and it goes to the download screen and shows progress and acts like it's downloading. After that is done, he box goes away and Install Shield or Windows Installer or whatever the hell is supposed to pop up to install the program never shows. I look all over my computer and can't find the supposedly downloaded file.

Help.........I am beginning to feel like a dumb blonde. I know it's something simple that I'm just overlooking.
http://web.mac.com/arnold_zwicky/BizarroTexasCap.gif

sabar
09-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Start from the top.

Does it work with another web browser? What browser are you using? What OS?

miklo velka
09-05-2008, 02:50 PM
I was having the same problem when I got my vista computer. I could have sworn once I saved it to the desktop it started working but I can't remember. It was something stupid that fixed it though.

2Blonde
09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Start from the top.

Does it work with another web browser? What browser are you using? What OS?
Dell Latitude D820
OS - Windows Vista Home Basic
Intel (R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5500 @1.66GHz 1.67 GHz
Memory (RAM): 1022MB
System Type: 32 bit operating system

My web browser is IE 7. What does the web Browser have to do with it? Isn't it just the portal through which a program starts downloading? Isn't installShield supposed to grab it and install it after it comes through?

leemajors
09-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Dell Latitude D820

My web browser is IE 7. What does the web Browser have to do with it? Isn't it just the portal through which a program starts downloading? Isn't installShield supposed to grab it and install it after it comes through?

i think he just wanted a feel for what you were using. you may want to try firefox to see if it works downloading. if so, ie would be the problem and we could go from there.

Brutalis
09-06-2008, 02:07 AM

Woo there's the problem right there. Heh, kidding.

I'd upgrade to FireFox 3. Then search its add-ons for a download manager and you can track its speed, location, and all that jazz.

TDMVPDPOY
09-06-2008, 02:51 AM
its somewhere in ur c: drive :D

im pretty sure its either in ur windows folder/ temp files...or check my documents

sabar
09-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Dell Latitude D820

That assumes that it downloads without corruption. Security holes and crap let malware modify certain subroutines and downloading could be compromised as a side-effect. A library file could be corrupted. Your settings might have been changed.

See if it works with another browser. If it doesn't then the problem isn't on the software layer.

=RTM=
09-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Why not save all your shit to DVD or external drive, and then do a system restore to last month or earlier? :wakeup

mouse
09-06-2008, 08:21 PM
clink on this

http://www.regcure.com/lp/11/?uid=encgr

Steve Perry
09-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Any updates?

2Blonde
09-08-2008, 08:57 PM
clink on this

http://www.regcure.com/lp/11/?uid=encgr

The problem with that solution is that I CAN'T download the progam in order to run it. :lol

2Blonde
09-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Okay, I looked through my windows/temp files, and prefetch (whatever the hell that is?) and downloaded programs files. Here are the results:

Downloaded program files:
{8FFBE65D-2C9C-4669-84BD-5829DC0B603C}
WMI Class {49312E18-AA92-4CC2-BB97-55DEA7BCADD6}

Both of these are damaged when I look at the properties.

Temp:

(Multiples of these types of files)
lpksetup-20080825-211517-0.log
MpCmdRun.log

Prefetch example files:
DEFRAG.EXE-3D9E8D72.pf
DLLHOST.EXE-4B6CB38A.pf
GOOGLEUPDATER.EXE-FE559EEC.pf

There are about 50 files of all type that say EXE.pf

TMP0000011C1548FDA09F76152A
RMS7B15.tmp

E20
09-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Aren't you rich, just buy a new computer or have it fixed.

2Blonde
09-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Aren't you rich, just buy a new computer or have it fixed.

Haven't you heard.?.?.?. Rich people are the cheapest ones!!
:lmao

PM5K
09-08-2008, 11:25 PM

Yup, that's why they are rich.

I'll come by and fix it for you ma'am, I haven't seen your new house in person yet ;-)

2Blonde
09-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Update: I couldn't download Firefox but I already had safari on my computer from my Ipod updater so I did a total reset on IE and put it back to factory settings. No difference. Then I reset my default browser to safari. I still can't download.

Horn Tooter
09-09-2008, 12:29 AM
System restore August 20th

PM5K
09-09-2008, 12:34 AM

Not a bad idea if I do say so myself...

PhotoShop
09-09-2008, 06:57 AM

I would go with the 22nd!

fatsack
09-09-2008, 12:10 PM
isn't your hubby an IT geek?

PM5K
09-09-2008, 01:09 PM

Sometimes she needs another man to take care of her needs...

Computer needs I mean.....

TDMVPDPOY
09-09-2008, 08:02 PM

wealth only travels through 3 generations....

the grandparents will work hard for the money, the parents will inherit and use it wisely, the grandchildren will exploit the funds generation Y ftw

PhotoShop
09-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Waiting for an update is like making a Customer service wait on hold.

Bioch did the restore take? :smokin

pedicure expert
09-10-2008, 03:24 AM
any updates?

Milton.
09-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Bueller............. bueller? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Red&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Bueller+bueller&spell=1)

2Blonde
09-12-2008, 01:37 AM

Not a bad idea if I do say so myself...

I would go with the 22nd!

Well that would be great except those options weren't available. Vista is quirky that way and only keeps the restore points within about a 7- 10 days. I did the earliest restore (9-3-08) & it made no f&$king difference.

No, he's an IT God !!!! :lol He hires people to program and do that stuff. He's a Project Manager, not a programmer. His expertise in system processes. He is SAP certified & has a Six Sigma blackbelt ( whatever that means). His MBA is in Information Systems Management & he holds a PMP certification in Project Management.

So in other words he knows just enough about a home network to be absolutely useless to me.:lmao

Waiting for an update is like making a Customer service wait on hold.

Bioch did the restore take? :smokin

SSSSoooorrrrryyyyyyy !!! I haven't been able to post because I've been trying to figure out this problem and have an actual life. Plus I'm back to shuttling the teen around since she totaled her car. She took away my freedom when she wrecked her car. :ihit

any updates?

I back up the data files onto an external 250GB HD I had. Tomorrow I am going to call Dell and see if it's still under warranty. if not then I will do a Dell complete reset back to factory specs, then reload the drivers & data and see what happens.

Bueller............. bueller? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Red&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=Bueller+bueller&spell=1)

Damn, you are impatient!!!:rollin

PM5K
09-12-2008, 03:33 AM
Do you run AVG?

Whatever you have uninstall it...

Salad Tosser
09-12-2008, 07:30 AM
About 1 - 2 weeks ago I began noticing tat some of my downloads weren't coming through. It seems as though the updates to current programs is working fine (AVG, Windows Vista, Logitech, etc...) The new programs I want to install (win amp) or new fonts I want to install start out OK but then just quit. I get the screen asking if I want to run or save. I click run and then the screen disappears and nothing. Or I click save, tell it where to download (ex. desktop) and it goes to the download screen and shows progress and acts like it's downloading. After that is done, he box goes away and Install Shield or Windows Installer or whatever the hell is supposed to pop up to install the program never shows. I look all over my computer and can't find the supposedly downloaded file.

Help.........I am beginning to feel like a dumb blonde. I know it's something simple that I'm just overlooking.

First off hit the start button then the search tab and place the file's name you are looking for. Sometimes programs get installed in Temp folders or in another folder.

Now make sure you don't have an EXE infection download this....

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/download/d721953d92af94eb450041e1fc9f7e63/

and when it says (Do you want a boot up scan?) click yes. after the infection is found press (2) to delete all and get back to us. :tu

2Blonde
09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
:lol
Do you run AVG?

Whatever you have uninstall it...
Yes, I run AVG 8.0. I have tried turning it off to download with no success.

First off hit the start button then the search tab and place the file's name you are looking for. Sometimes programs get installed in Temp folders or in another folder.

Now make sure you don't have an EXE infection download this....

http://www.filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/download/d721953d92af94eb450041e1fc9f7e63/

and when it says (Do you want a boot up scan?) click yes. after the infection is found press (2) to delete all and get back to us. :tu

I have used the search feature straight from the start button about a thousand times. I have also searched manually through a gazillion folders and used the search feature off of the "My Computer" icon.

Maybe you don't get that I "CAN'T DOWNLOAD", which includes downloading a fresh copy of AVG. I can't Run or Save ANY file I try to download. The only things that make it through are updates of programs that are already there, ie.. Windows Update, AVG update. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my media programs. I have Windows Media installed and the Media Manager that came with my Blackberry is Roxio. I uninstalled my Ipod programs and all the crap that came with that, ie.. Safari, etc.

I am calling Dell right now. If my computer doesn't blow up on me then I'll report back as soon as I get this resolved.

Later......:toast

TDMVPDPOY
09-12-2008, 11:49 AM
vista fukn sucks, im new user also

you tried checkn in your user account section....downloads?

do a search files winamp.exe

PM5K
09-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Uninstall it.

If you use Defender or anything else like that, uninstall it also.

TDMVPDPOY
09-12-2008, 01:10 PM
did you disable UAC in vista?

if ur runnin AVG, try disable the resident shield....then try download some pron see if it works

CubanMustGo
09-12-2008, 03:16 PM
If you can't download ... find someone else who can, have them download the stuff recommended here to a thumb drive, and install from there.

Salad Tosser
09-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Sorry I should slow down next time I read, add a few Becks Beers to the mix and hit off the Bong and I could have told you press F8 or F10 and go into safe mode and try downloading.

Or was it F7?

DizzG.
09-13-2008, 02:46 AM
If you can still get online Google the make of the notebook and find out if it's F10 or F8 or what ever that brand uses to go into safe mode. Then maybe you can try the restore again.

E20
09-13-2008, 10:07 PM

Now that I think about it, that is actually true of the moderate rich people, but not the super elite rich.

mouse
09-14-2008, 09:22 AM
Vista has a sweet recovery on the disc, Just insert your Vista disc and follow the instructions on restoring your PC.

Sounds to me like an Active X or missing Dll file issue. Both can be infected.

you can take out the HD and run it on another PC and do a Boot up scan. Use the USB adapter.

http://www.sataadapter.com/USBG-U2IDES1.jpg

Also since you have it out already you may as well take off all the data in case you need to do a reinstall.

The adapter is 25-29 dollars at Altex off of 1604.

Or you can drop off your PC and a case of Rolling Rock and I will do it for you.

Good Luck!

2Blonde
09-14-2008, 02:02 PM
All is well again in the land of 2Blonde!!! I backed up all my data to an external HD then the Dell guy tried everything he could think of. He tried to get into my computer remotely but I was missing the files he needed. After 2 1/2 hours, he finally determined I was missing some needed files. He opted to have me reformat the drive and then do a fresh install. I did that and now my capabiities are back. I haven't reloaded all my data yet b/c I'm loading programs I want/need. I am going to take your advice of switching browsers to firefox though. I just read an indepth article on browsers for vista and that seems to be the one that will work best for me.

Thank you guys for everything.:toast

TDMVPDPOY
09-14-2008, 10:23 PM
and how much did you paid that guy? $ or sexual favor? :D

when you couldve done this at home for free....

PM5K
09-15-2008, 02:15 AM
All is well again in the land of 2Blonde!!! I backed up all my data to an external HD then the Dell guy tried everything he could think of. He tried to get into my computer remotely but I was missing the files he needed. After 2 1/2 hours, he finally determined I was missing some needed files. He opted to have me reformat the drive and then do a fresh install. I did that and now my capabiities are back. I haven't reloaded all my data yet b/c I'm loading programs I want/need. I am going to take your advice of switching browsers to firefox though. I just read an indepth article on browsers for vista and that seems to be the one that will work best for me.

Thank you guys for everything.:toast

Oh well, I guess that was easier than uninstalling AVG..

Del Griffith
09-15-2008, 06:59 AM
After 2 1/2 hours, he finally determined I was missing some needed files.

And this guy went to school ? :lmao

Del Griffith
09-15-2008, 07:00 AM

Sounds to me like missing Dll file issue.

What does this man win?

2Blonde
09-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Oh well, I guess that was easier than uninstalling AVG..
I did uninstall AVG.

And this guy went to school ? :lmao That was my same assessment.:lmao

and how much did you paid that guy? $ or sexual favor? :D

when you couldve done this at home for free....

????? I did do it at home for free. I called Dell and talked it out over the phone, then did what he finally suggested.:toast

Salad Tosser
09-16-2008, 02:46 PM
You should still do the Avast boot up scan.