PDA

View Full Version : I feel sorry for this guy.....

wisnub
09-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I FEEL SORRY FOR THIS BUMP....WE KINDDA DITCH HIM TOO MUCH. WONDER WHERE WILL HE WIND UP...:toast

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stoudamire's Search

Veteran guard opens eyes with strong summer play

Jason Friedman
Rockets.com Staff Writer

HOUSTON -Ask an NBA veteran how his offseason is going and you’re likely to receive a slight chuckle and quick correction in return. That’s because the truth is that there’s no such thing as an offseason anymore; there’s too much money involved, the stakes are too high and the competition for roster spots and playing time is too fierce. Spend a summer slacking off and you can rest assured that a handful of hungrier, more dedicated players will be waiting in the wings ready and eager to take your place. In other words: you snooze, you lose.

It’s that realization which drives Rockets like Aaron Brooks, Chuck Hayes and Mikes Harris (among others) to spend some of their summer sprinting up and down the various levels of the Toyota Center parking garage like a bunch of high school kids desperate to make varsity. And now, with less than a month remaining until the start of training camp, it’s also the siren song which beckons past, present and future NBA players to Houston for some high-intensity pick-up games at the Rockets’ practice facility.

These scrimmages are fascinating to watch; especially when you focus on the battles taking place at the point guard position. Brooks is there, of course, as is the newly acquired D.J. Strawberry. But things get really interesting when other players who call Houston home during the offseason show up. Damon Stoudamire especially has impressed, showing off some of the skills which once earned him the nickname “Mighty Mouse” during his halcyon days in Toronto and Portland. He’s obviously put in major work to get into prime playing shape and has made no secret that he’s hungry for an opportunity to prove he can still play quality minutes for a contender.

“I feel like I got two more years left,” Stoudamire says. “You know how perception is - I’m sure everybody feels like I’ve got too many miles on my legs. They say, ‘He’s been doing it for so long… He’s a guard and guards tend to slow down.’ So that’s all I really all I’m trying to play for right now, just to finish out the way I want to. It’s not about anything else.

"I know I can still contribute. That’s the thing that drives me. When I’m ready to quit at the gym, when I’m ready to quit shooting jumpers, I just think about sitting on that bench last year and that’s what drives me to keep shooting more, because that’s the only thing that sticks in my mind."

As he alluded to, last year was not particularly kind to the 13-year NBA vet. He started the season with Memphis, a team loaded with young point guards and clearly in the midst of a rebuilding project. Salvation seemed to arrive when the Grizzlies waived Stoudamire to clear cap room, providing him the opportunity to chase a ring in San Antonio. But the 35-year old never really clicked with Coach Popovich, so Stoudamire ended up spending most of his time in the Alamo City rooted to the Spurs’ bench.

“I think it was just one of those cases where, at the end of the day, Pop went the way he was most comfortable,” says Stoudamire. “And I can live with that. It wasn’t a case of being in the doghouse, or nothing like that. We had a relationship and we talked. I can live with what happened – I may not have liked it, but I can live with it and move on and put it behind me."

Taking part in these pick-up games helps accelerate that transition. They not only allow Stoudamire an opportunity to measure himself against quality competition, they also give him a chance to thrive in the role of mentor for up–and-coming players like Brooks and Strawberry.

“I’ve always been a guy that loves to be around young players,” says Stoudamire. “When I was a young player, guys really looked out for me and taught me a lot. So I love answering questions for younger players whenever they need it. So it’s good to come here, look at these guys, get a feel for their games and watch their development as they go along in this league. That’s a big joy for me.”

Of course, a far greater joy would be earning a spot on an NBA roster. Would he welcome an opportunity here in Houston? Would the Rockets welcome him? At first glance, the team seems stacked at the point position. Than again, Rafer Alston and Steve Francis are returning from surgery, while Brooks and Strawberry are unproven. It’s at least a question worth asking, right?

ShoogarBear
09-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Stoudamire was mismanaged. He was playing fine and contributing decently as a traditional point when he first got here, and then Pop wanted him to jack up shots. He became NVE #2 after that.

duncan228
09-04-2008, 11:40 PM
There's another article here:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104225

wisnub
09-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Stoudamire was mismanaged. He was playing fine and contributing decently as a traditional point when he first got here, and then Pop wanted him to jack up shots. He became NVE #2 after that.

I thought 3 pts was one of couple reasons he got hired...but I dont know why all veteran backup PG for Tony.. all of em failed. I mean first it was van excel, then Mighty Mouse...I dunno about Hill but so far his game is not impressive at all. I dont know how fast he gonna learn though.

I also think he is mismanaged...but so does Bonner, and James White as well. Even D Wash went good and then dissapeared just like that. Do you think Pop got high expectation in short time? How Hill will survive things like that?

mrspurs
09-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Just like the basketball players I run with say. It was Timmy who looked slower then anyone during the PO's. And it was Pop and mighty mouse who killed our chances of repeating. And that's right on the money.

Solid D
09-05-2008, 11:18 AM
Just like the basketball players I run with say. It was Timmy who looked slower then anyone during the PO's. And it was Pop and mighty mouse who killed our chances of repeating. And that's right on the money.

You may be the only person who agrees with your point. Pop and "Mighty Mouse" are the ones who killed the Spurs chances of repeating?

anakha
09-05-2008, 11:38 AM
And it was Pop and mighty mouse who killed our chances of repeating. And that's right on the money.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

century
09-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Stoudamire is a dick.

mrspurs
09-05-2008, 01:28 PM
You may be the only person who agrees with your point. Pop and "Mighty Mouse" are the ones who killed the Spurs chances of repeating?

I wish that were true. Pretty much, everything Ive typed doesnt come directly from me. I do have alot of friends who have gone to some games. Watch the heck out of the spurs on TV. Run the ushering crews during the games. At the moment, watching our kids play highschool football. But some of them dont have the internet because they say. What for? :wow When I explain to them how alot of other Spurs Fans think. (You know what yall type.) They laugh, they say like me. Most of yall are cheerleaders, probably couldnt run and up down the court much less be able to understand its not the names of the players, its about the amount of talent on the opposite side of the court. :wow Look at the roster before your mighty mouse, then look at it after. Its a no-brainer :lol

Solid D
09-05-2008, 01:33 PM
I wish that were true. Pretty much, everything Ive typed doesnt come directly from me. I do have alot of friends who have gone to some games. Watch the heck out of the spurs on TV. Run the ushering crews during the games. At the moment, watching our kids play highschool football. But some of them dont have the internet because they say. What for? :wow When I explain to them how alot of other Spurs Fans think. (You know what yall type.) They laugh, they say like me. Most of yall are cheerleaders, probably couldnt run and up down the court much less be able to understand its not the names of the players, its about the amount of talent on the opposite side of the court. :wow Look at the roster before your mighty mouse, then look at it after. Its a no-brainer :lol

I think by now, most people in here know where your opinions are pulled from.

Doug Collins
09-05-2008, 02:51 PM

So I guess that makes you an expert.

Ps Thanks for breaking up your post with smileys/emoticons it made it .25% more legible.

m33p0
09-05-2008, 11:02 PM

huh? roster with mighty mouse and roster sans mighty mouse is pretty much the same. and you have to give the first round to Pop. he won that one for the spurs. you may have been overly critical about Tim in the first 2 games of the second round.

timtonymanu
09-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Do Spurs' Free Agents suck or what? No team wants to sign any of our FA's except Barry. If it weren't for us signing Finley, i still think he would be looking for a team.

T Park
09-06-2008, 12:02 AM

Agreed.

Stoudamire was playing fantastic and would've been a huge asset had Pop just left him alone.

T Park
09-06-2008, 12:03 AM
Do Spurs' Free Agents suck or what? No team wants to sign any of our FA's except Barry. If it weren't for us signing Finley, i still think he would be looking for a team.

The Celtics were trying to sign him....

wisnub
09-06-2008, 12:07 AM
I still feel sorry for MIghty Mouse...he could do more, but he end up to be another player which getting cut from SA. His career is pretty much over now...might as well called it a career and enjoy retirement with your family before getting pushed to the doghouse with a non playoff team...

SenorSpur
09-06-2008, 07:17 AM
With the way Pop demands his PGs become legit, aggressive scoring threats, you have to wonder why he ever got comfortable with Avery Johnson as his PG.

ChuckD
09-06-2008, 07:47 AM
20.2pts 14.5reb 3.3asst 2.0 blocks. Yeah, Tim was sure draggin' ass. You run with some major dumbasses.

ShoogarBear
09-06-2008, 06:51 PM
With the way Pop demands his PGs become legit, aggressive scoring threats, you have to wonder why he ever got comfortable with Avery Johnson as his PG.

Or why Jacque Vaughn is still around.

If Pop had just had Stoudamire play like Vaughn (minus the defense, but with better shooting), he would have been a solid 15 MPG backup.

ulosturedge
09-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Stoudamire looked lost out there the entire season. He just didn't really fit as a Spur as far as what he could bring to the team. He use to be really solid when he had his athleticism. He could create some space and knock down some hella jump shots. Lose a step and its all downhill from there...