PDA

View Full Version : Don't care for McCain, but I he should have smacked this kid....

Mr. Peabody
09-05-2008, 09:10 AM
You can disagree with the guy's position without being a little prick. I hope there were some young Republicans there to kick this kid's ass when the presentation was over.

High School Student to McCain: You're No Leader
Email

September 04, 2007 11:32 AM

ABC News' Bret Hovell and Matt Stuart Report: Senator John McCain had a testy exchange with a high school student in Concord, NH, Tuesday, but one that McCain himself characterized as “what America is supposed to be about.”

William Sleaster, a student at Concord High School rose to ask McCain a question about gay rights and, ultimately dissatisfied by the answer he received from McCain, told the Republican presidential contender that he'd come looking to see a leader and didn't.

McCain first answered the high school student by talking about his support for Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, the military’s policy regarding gays, and about his belief in the sanctity of marriage.

“Discrimination in any form is unacceptable in America today,” McCain said.

“I understand the controversy that continues to swirl around this issue,” McCain said. “That debate needs to be continued.”

Sleaster pressed on. “Do you support civil unions or gay marriage?”

“I do not,” McCain answered. “I think that they impinge on the status and the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman.”

“So you believe in taking away someone’s rights because you believe it’s wrong?”

“I wouldn’t put that interpretation on my position, but I understand yours,” McCain said diplomatically.

Sleaster went on to ask another question about how to help the working class in America, which McCain fielded by talking about the country’s need to figure out education and health care, and to secure the environment.

Sleaster indicated that he wanted to follow up again.

“You have one more? Go ahead you’re doing good,” McCain encouraged.

“I came here looking to see a leader,” Sleaster said. “I don’t.”

The assembled students murmured, and a teacher started to step in.

“I understand,” McCain said. “I thank you. That’s what America is all about.”

florige
09-05-2008, 09:13 AM
If weren't for him running for President he probably would have....:lol

Buddy Holly
09-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Why does he deserve to be smacked?

I could understand if he said something highly offensive or degrading or just cursed up a storm but he stated his opinion and that's it.

angel_luv
09-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Why does he deserve to be smacked?

I could understand if he said something highly offensive or degrading or just cursed up a storm but he stated his opinion and that's it.

I agree.

remingtonbo2001
09-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I think McCain handled the situation fairly well.

It was so inappropriate to warrent a slap, but it was disrepectful to McCain and those who have and continue to serve in our military.

Buddy Holly
09-05-2008, 12:58 PM
What does serving in the military have to do with whether or not McCain of 2008 is a leader?

angel_luv
09-05-2008, 01:14 PM
The kid is entitled to an opinion, even if it is judged to be a wrong one by some.

And how is it okay for Senator Obama, the media, and for the matter, half of America to question Senator McCain's leadership ability, but wrong for the kid to?
At least the kid had the courage to say what he thought to the Senator's face.

101A
09-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I wonder who the parents kids are voting for?

Frankly, it pisses me off when my own kid speaks about politics (he's 14) - he obviously is in lock-step with my wife and myself; but it is insulting when he attempts to engage an adult in political discourse when I know good and well that his thoughts and beliefs are not his own.

There was a time when a person of 18 years was plenty mature and worldly enough to understand the issues of the day, and have a voice in them. I believe we are well beyond that time now. 18 year olds (although self-important and more myopic than ever) are, nevertheless, almost all living at home and claimed as dependents on their parents tax returns. They hold part-time jobs (if any at all), don't pay significant taxes, and sleep in the same room they did when they were 10. Many still have curfews! They cannot drink legally, and if they happen to marry, there is a 90% chance they got that choice wrong. I, of course, speak from experience; 22 years ago I was a dumb-ass, know-it-all 18 year old; I cringe when I think about how much I DIDN'T know about what I was voting on then.

The kid referenced had a right to say what he did; but he was a punk about it.

boutons_
09-05-2008, 01:30 PM
The kid has every right to ask hardball questions, which makes him a hardballer, not a prick.

Certainly the corporate media, when it bothers to ask, asks useless softball questions.

McSame was excellent, confirming his bullshit position that civil unions and gay marriage will harm the sanctity of heterosexual marriage, a harm that the sanctimonous McHypocrit visted on his own sanctified first marriage.

101A
09-05-2008, 01:35 PM
The kid has every right to ask hardball questions, which makes him a hardballer, not a prick.

Certainly the corporate media, when it bothers to ask, asks useless softball questions.

McSame was excellent, confirming his bullshit position that civil unions and gay marriage will harm the sanctity of heterosexual marriage, a harm that the sanctimonous McHypocrit visted on his own sanctified first marriage.

I like your knew knicknames for McCain, they're much easier to read. Thanks.

Gonna start calling you Sawyer.

Oh, Gee!!
09-05-2008, 01:49 PM
You can disagree with the guy's position without being a little prick. I hope there were some young Republicans there to kick this kid's ass when the presentation was over.

sure, peabody. i bet the kid in the story was you.

Mr. Peabody
09-05-2008, 02:31 PM
sure, peabody. i bet the kid in the story was you.

The yearbook entry reads William "Peabody" Sleaster.

Spurminator
09-05-2008, 02:52 PM

“I came here looking to see a leader,” Sleaster said. “I don’t.”

Where's the question?

Anyway, I don't think it's a big deal. I'm sure McCain can handle it.

Oh, Gee!!
09-05-2008, 03:19 PM
one last question.

yes, go ahead.

you suck. pwnt

T Park
09-05-2008, 04:11 PM
After reading that McCain handled that about as perfectly as you can.

td4mvp21
09-05-2008, 04:20 PM
He doesn't deserve to be smacked really. He didn't say anything out of line IMO. And McCain did handle that very well :lol I would have been furious if something like that happened to me.