PDA

View Full Version : Manu's absence could be beneficial

lotr1trekkie
09-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Without Manu the FO will be able to determine early in the season which players CAN step it up and contribute. TP and Tim should only be expected to function as last year--not pick up the slack for Manu. The remaining roster has to find a way to help the team in the playoff hunt. The attitude shouldn't be "just wait until Manu returns and then we'll be able beat Houston, Dallas etc". From opening nite the Spurs should expect the team to be competitive vs the heavyweights in the West. If not--- the roster needs to be changed so that Manu returns not as the savior but a supercharger on a well tuned machine.

coyotes_geek
09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I'd say the phrase "potential silver lining" is better here than "beneficial". Manu missing a chunk of the season is not a good thing.

Hype Man Manu
09-05-2008, 11:48 AM

xtremesteven33
09-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Scary time to be a Spurs fan for sure. Manu doesnt have a history showing hes a quick healer and if anything hes a slow healer.
A November comeback would be GREAT but probably too risky. A December comeback would be pretty accurate but also may be a tad bit too soon knowing the mind of Popovich.

Hopefully the wingmen will step up BIG TIME for about 2-3 months. Mason,Udoka,Finley.
Hopefully Hill will average AT LEAST 5-10 points a game.

Time to turn back the time for Tim Duncan. No more deffering to your teammates. Every game is seemingly a "must win game" knowing the western conference a one or two game loss in the season could cost you the #1 spot. Duncan needs to be more aggressive on the post for sure, while hitting his FT's a little more consistently.

In the end like the thread is could be beneficial for the spurs in the long run. by the time Manu comes back in late December or early January, the Spurs wingmen will be more than capable of scoring off the bench.

Fabbs
09-05-2008, 12:41 PM
I think sometimes when benchees are given the green light and shown confidence, they respond. See Barrdawg vs Lakers.

Of course Barrdawg was an NBA starter at one time so its not like he was experiencing minutes for the 1st time.

Ditto Jacque Vaughn 2007 playoffs. Lot of JV hate here on the board, but i saw a guy who busted his ass and definitely contributed when called upon.
That he won't do it again i'm not arguing. Just saying sometimes when players are given minutes and confidence they flourish. Pop can stick his "doghouse" up his ass.

Dex
09-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Time to turn back the time for Tim Duncan. No more deffering to your teammates. Every game is seemingly a "must win game" knowing the western conference a one or two game loss in the season could cost you the #1 spot. Duncan needs to be more aggressive on the post for sure, while hitting his FT's a little more consistently.

I do agree with this sentiment, but I also think that's a risky venture. The mindset of the team for the past few years has been to save the Big Three for the playoffs; this year will be harder than any to do so. I'm sure Tim could dominate more like he used to and try to be a regular season beast...but it would surely take a lot more of a toll on him physically over 82 games.

If Manu misses any significant time at the start of the season, then the Spurs fortunes may very well end up riding on the shoulders of role players like Udoka, Mason, and Finley...at least until we can get the Big Three back intact.

If you wear down Tim and Tony trying to keep up without Manu than the seasons over before the playoffs even start.

Obstructed_View
09-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Timmy's had his minutes limited the past few years. I think he's got enough in the tank to play more minutes this year and carry the team. I'd like him to get out of the habit of defering so much.

century
09-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Would be of course even more "beneficial" if TD got hurt too and missed the first half of the season. Great thinking there, Hoss.

Brutalis
09-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Bad choice of words. Although it does let us see what Mason can do it will take us longer to gel together on the court.

Allanon
09-05-2008, 03:04 PM
The best thing about Manu's injury is that the Spurs might get a high lottery pick this year (not sure if they traded this year's pick already though). I believe the Spurs did trade away the 2009 pick in the KT trade but I don't know if it's lottery protected.

lotr1trekkie
09-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Maybe " beneficial in the long run" would have been better but it was too long a title for a thread. How about " Glad Manu got scoped now!!!" Seriously, the Spurs have issues with their bench strength even after Manu returns. I would rather fine out sooner than later that we need someone else rather than get punked in the first round by one of the top seeds. With the current roster I'd be thrilled with 5th.

lefty
09-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Without Manu the FO will be able to determine early in the season which players CAN step it up and contribute. TP and Tim should only be expected to function as last year--not pick up the slack for Manu. The remaining roster has to find a way to help the team in the playoff hunt. The attitude shouldn't be "just wait until Manu returns and then we'll be able beat Houston, Dallas etc". From opening nite the Spurs should expect the team to be competitive vs the heavyweights in the West. If not--- the roster needs to be changed so that Manu returns not as the savior but a supercharger on a well tuned machine.

+1

KidCongo
09-05-2008, 10:20 PM
The best thing is that he can add muscle in the gym.

JamStone
09-06-2008, 12:12 AM
I agree with your point to an extent but also agree that it probably wasn't the best choice of words.

ALAMO_DEFENSE
09-06-2008, 12:22 AM
I have faith in my Spurs. Manu is the ultimate competitor. i see him playing late November, missing just 3 weeks of regular season. He will be a BEAST. Never underestimate the heart of Manu!!

angelbelow
09-06-2008, 01:49 AM
not really sure how this year is going to play out but im optimistic..

Cant_Be_Faded
09-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Not having your only good 2 guard is very beneficial in a conference where you need to win at least FIFTY FUCKING GAMES just to make the playoffs.

bright post.

timvp
09-06-2008, 02:32 AM
If you cut off your right arm, eventually you will be left handed.

The Truth #6
09-06-2008, 02:40 AM
Good lord, is our first round draft pick lottery protected? I'm not saying we aren't making the playoffs, however I'd very much like to know the details of the deal we made with Presti.

mrspurs
09-06-2008, 07:37 AM
The best thing about Manu's injury is that the Spurs might get a high lottery pick this year (not sure if they traded this year's pick already though). I believe the Spurs did trade away the 2009 pick in the KT trade but I don't know if it's lottery protected.

It is protected, and I agree, even with a half healthy Manu, we're not going anywhere after the season ends. Once Manu sits, teams will double Timmy, like they did in the POs. Once Timmy gets doubled he wont have anyone to pass the ball to. Its pretty simple, with the current roster as it is. The Spurs will get some wins, but not a ring. So i say can the season and look for the lottery. Tony is gonna need someone to play with or the Lakers will snatch him up in a heart beat.

mario23torres
09-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I don't think Spurs will have a such of a big problem with Manu out, we have Mason who was a runner up for sixth man of the year last year who had about 5 30 point games when he played alot when Arenas was out and we have Finley who still has some left in him, he slowed down a little bit this year though...