PDA

View Full Version : Source: Knicks, Grizzlies propose 3-player trade

Allanon
09-05-2008, 06:06 PM
From ESPN,

I'm pretty sure a Knick/Grizzlies deal will happen soon, sounds like they're just working out the details. Laugh all you want but Zach Randolph's talent level is pretty high...very few NBA players can stop him (except when he's dribbling between his legs and shooting 3 pointers :D) His biggest problem is his atttitude and sometimes poor shot selection*.

Darko & Marko Jaric for Zach Randolph is a good trade talent wise for the Grizz, I just don't know if it's a good team chemistry move. Randolph can do well on a veteran team, not one filled with a ton of young impressionable talent.

Source: Knicks, Grizzlies propose 3-player trade
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3571031

The Knicks have a trade proposal on the table with the Memphis Grizzlies that would see Darko Milicic and Marko Jaric dealt to New York in exchange for Zach Randolph.

An executive with knowledge of the trade talks said Friday that Knicks president Donnie Walsh initiated the Randolph-to-Memphis talks with the Grizzlies recently and it's up to Walsh to sign off on the deal. But it appears Walsh has cooled to the idea of trading his player, the executive said.

A Knicks spokesman declined comment Friday.

Milicic is reportedly owed $14.5 million over the next two seasons, and Jaric will make $21.3 million the next three seasons. The Knicks want to trade Randoph because his contract runs through 2010-11. He will be paid nearly $48 million over those three seasons.

The move would help the Knicks with their salary cap. It has been widely perceived that their goal is get under the cap before the summer of 2010 so they can make a run at LeBron James and other high-profile free agents who will hit the market that offseason.

Andrew Marchand is the managing editor of 1050 ESPN Radio in New York.

And for one of Zach's WTF moments, here's that famous vid just for good laughs:
3j1q6osDAEc

baseline bum
09-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Randolph's biggest problems are his inability to play defense or pass the ball. Memphis has without a doubt the worst GM to disgrace this league since Krause.

Allanon
09-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Randolph's biggest problems are his inability to play defense or pass the ball. Memphis has without a doubt the worst GM to disgrace this league since Krause.

I agree this might be a terrible move for the Grizzlies, but so far, I think Chris Wallace is doing a good job. Yeah, it sounds like he got ripped off in the Pau for Kwame trade.

But at this point, he got Kwame off the books, Pau off the books. They weren't going anywhere with that old roster anyways. The biggest part of the deal may have been Marc Gasol.

Marc Gasol was in the Championship Finals in the Spanish league. In addition, he looked pretty good in Olympic play this year. And to top that off, Marc Gasol is projected as one of the top rookies this year and most people say he would easily have been a lottery pick if he had entered the draft 1 year later.

1) Beasley
2) Oden
3) Kevin Love
4) Marc Gasol
5) Rudy Fernandez

I don't think people realize how much young talent the Grizz have accumulated...they're only second to the Blazers in terms of young talent.

The Grizz may not be a good team, but they're a very, very tradeable team with a ton of player assetts.

baseline bum
09-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Judging big men by their play in the Olympics is a stretch. Oberto looked better in 04 than Gasol did this time around. Wallace got pennies on the dollar for Gasol, and this trade is even worse. Randolph is a loser who can do absolutely nothing other than dump it in on the block.

baseline bum
09-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I take it back... the Randolph trade isn't worse than the Gasol gift, but it's still pretty fucking stupid.

XTah
09-05-2008, 07:22 PM
I agree this might be a terrible move for the Grizzlies, but so far, I think Chris Wallace is doing a good job. Yeah, it sounds like he got ripped off in the Pau for Kwame trade.

But at this point, he got Kwame off the books, Pau off the books. They weren't going anywhere with that old roster anyways. The biggest part of the deal may have been Marc Gasol.

Only a Lakers fan would think that.

TheMadHatter
09-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Wallace got what he wanted for Gasol, capspace. It wasn't about acquiring equal value at all.

Allanon
09-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Only a Lakers fan would think that.

Actually not just me, this was actually on a couple talk shows and some articles outside of LA.

Marc Gasol won the league MVP over guys like Rudy Fernandez and Ricky Rubio. Rudy torched Team USA in the Olympics and Ricky Rubio is projected as the #1 lottery pick when he's eligible for the NBA draft. So that's pretty good company.

Marc Gasol will probably be a top 5 rookie this year and possible ROY candidate. Who knows if he'll be better than his brother Pau. He's tougher than Gasol and he's a huge dude with a solid 3 point shot. I did not realize how thick this dude was.

IronMexican
09-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Wallace got what he wanted for Gasol, capspace. It wasn't about acquiring equal value at all.

The Grizz are clearly cheap bastards. only reason they would make a trade like that. good for us though:lol:downspin:

Allanon
09-05-2008, 08:04 PM
The Grizz are clearly cheap bastards. only reason they would make a trade like that. good for us though:lol:downspin:

I hope so. If the Lakers had won the ring last year, definitely. But I'm starting to get a sneaking feeling that Marc's going to be better than Pau or at least as good.

Looking back now, the Lakers could have saved $50 million over the next 3 years if they had just kept Marc Gasol. Either way, they didn't/wouldn't have won the championship so ultimately didn't matter that they had Pau last year.

Marc Gasol could have put up decent #'s, at a fraction of Pau's price.

Even Kobe thinks the Lakers might/should have kept Marc

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/Aug/17/reviews-in-other-gasol-not-just-big/

"He's a big body," said Carlos Boozer.

"He's a big man," said Kobe Bryant.

"He's big," said Jason Kidd.

So it's unanimous: He's big.

Oh, and he has a soft touch.

"He's got a soft touch," says Boozer.

"He can shoot it," said Bryant.

"You can see he can shoot the ball," said Dwight Howard.

So, to review: He's big, with a soft touch. Anything else you lads want to say?

Yes? Kobe? Go ahead, fire away.

"In hindsight, we probably didn't have to give him up to get Pau," Bryant said. "We should have kept Marc, too."

How's that for the ultimate endorsement? Bryant would like to have Marc Gasol back.

He rendered this opinion in the wake of the United States' 119-82 win over Spain Saturday night, which gave him plenty of time to watch.

"Me and Kobe were talking about it," said Kidd. "He's a guy who knows how to play the game. Anyone would love to have him on their team."

JamStone
09-05-2008, 08:09 PM
When can Jaric be traded under CBA rules? He was in the OJ Mayo/Kevin Love trade the night of the draft. Isn't there a time restriction before a player can be traded?

Thinking Adriana Lima might like living in New York City a tad bit more than Memphis.

BUMP
09-05-2008, 10:14 PM
the Grizzlies hav already gotten a lot better regardless if this trade goes down or not. Marc Gasol and OJ Mayo should make them a competitive team in the West and its remarkable how competitive the West is.

Portland is definitely no longer a pushover, neither are the Clippers if they stay healthy, the Grizzlies should be better, Minnesota, Seattle, and Sacramento are really the only teams in the West that you could completely dismiss from the playoff picture.

Ill Cosby
09-05-2008, 10:21 PM
LOL @ that vid