PDA

View Full Version : Bynum - $80 million for five seasons possibly in the works

Allanon
09-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Dang, just read this, didn't think his contract would go into the $80 million range, ouch. If the Lakers want to save some cash, they better extend him before he proves what he can do and wants to get paid.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3571735

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum proclaimed himself completely healthy Friday, saying he expects to be better than ever when training camp begins Sept. 30.

"I'm doing well, man," the 7-footer said during a news conference at the Lakers' practice facility. "The knee's good. Everything's ready to go, 100 percent. I've been training, getting stronger."

The 20-year-old Bynum was expected to be sidelined 8 to 12 weeks after bruising a bone in his knee and briefly dislocating of his kneecap in the third quarter of a 100-99 victory over Memphis last Jan. 13. Instead, he was sidelined for the rest of the season, and underwent arthroscopic surgery May 21 to remove some cartilage debris and smooth some rough spots on the underside of his kneecap.

He was in the midst of a breakout season when injured, averaging 13.1 points and 10.1 rebounds.

Bynum recently returned to Southern California after spending a month working out with his personal trainer, Sean Zarzana, and former NBA standout Gerald Wilkins in Atlanta.

Bynum, the 10th overall selection in the 2005 NBA draft, credited the rapid improvement he made last season to the hiring Zarzana in the wake of withering criticism from teammate Kobe Bryant after the Lakers' first-round playoff ouster in 2007.

"Actually, I'm better," Bynum said when asked to compared his fitness to last summer. "My times on the track are better and I'm able to lift more weights. I'm stronger. I weigh about the same, I'm 285 [pounds] with less body fat."

Bynum said he looked forward to working with Lakers legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar again this season. Abdul-Jabbar, the leading scorer in NBA history, has served as a mentor to Bynum, who jumped from St. Joseph High School in Metuchen, N.J., to the pro ranks.

"I can't wait, man," Bynum said. "I think I'm the only guy who wants the season to start, like, tomorrow, you know what I mean? But I just can't wait to play with the fellows."

Bynum is eligible for a contract extension that could pay him up to $80 million for five seasons, but said he's not thinking about anything but a successful return to the Lakers' lineup.

"If I handle my business on the court, the business off the court will be handled," he said.

Bynum also said he's looking forward to teaming with Pau Gasol, who will move from center to power forward this season.

Allanon
09-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Shit wrong forum, please move mods.

Sorry.

Allanon
09-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Well since I accidentally put this in the Spurs section, there was a little bit of a nod to the Spurs in his audio interview that wasn't included in the article:

Hopefully this will be a bit better in the Spurs section before the mods get to move it over to the general NBA forum.

Bynum also said he's looking forward to teaming with Pau Gasol, who will move from center to power forward this season.

Bynum pictures himself and Pau Gasol meshing well.

"I think it's going to work great. He'll be 4, I'll be 5, I can't wait for it. On the defensive end we'll have the Twin Tower effect".

Pau & Bynum vs Tim Duncan & DRob anybody?

"No, the roses are out Tim, not the daises!"

"No, Dave the GNOMES are out of bounds"

duncan228
09-05-2008, 07:30 PM

Maybe this will help the Spurs related part. :lol

SGa9ezemB3o

TheMadHatter
09-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Bynum is such a good kid, raised very well. That's what I love about him, he just wants to play basketball and dominate on the court. None of the other bullshit matters to him, he knows if he produces this season his contract will take care of itself.

Allanon
09-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe this will help the Spurs related part. :lol

SGa9ezemB3o

Hahah, thanks for that, I was actually a Spurs fan back then living in Texas. I used to get a good kick out of this commercial; haven't seen it in ages.

Definitely the original "Twin Towers" and I can't see the new Twin Towers (Pau/Bynum) being this funny.

Brings back some good memories.

IronMexican
09-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I was hoping we could lock him up for 6 years.

pad300
09-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Dang, just read this, didn't think his contract would go into the $80 million range, ouch. If the Lakers want to save some cash, they better extend him before he proves what he can do and wants to get paid.

Aren't you the guy who says Bynum's gonna put up 25/15/4 per 40 this year, while playing significant minutes? IF he produces those kind of numbers, you better offer him the absolute MAX numbers on your first offer...

Good news though, he's not going to be THAT good. Still, Brand got 80M/5, and he's coming off a major knee injury. Biedrins got $63M/6 (including bonus clauses), and you think Bynum's going to be more productive... Al Jefferson got 65M/5 as an extension...

Bynum will be restricted next year, but after that lot of teams are clearing capspace for the 09/10 free agency period.

IronMexican
09-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Aren't you the guy who says Bynum's gonna put up 25/15/4 per 40 this year, while playing significant minutes? IF he produces those kind of numbers, you better offer him the absolute MAX numbers on your first offer...

Good news though, he's not going to be THAT good. Still, Brand got 80M/5, and he's coming off a major knee injury. Biedrins got $63M/6 (including bonus clauses), and you think Bynum's going to be more productive... Al Jefferson got 65M/5 as an extension...

Bynum will be restricted next year, but after that lot of teams are clearing capspace for the 09/10 free agency period.

this is the mac you can pay for a guy playing this many years.

tlongII
09-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Let's see. This gets posted in the Spurs forum. No problem. However, when I post an Oden thread in the Basketball forum...big problem. Makes sense. :rolleyes

pad300
09-05-2008, 08:45 PM
this is the mac you can pay for a guy playing this many years.

Yeah, but is the ownership willing to put the simoleones on the board
(from http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/08-09salaries.htm)
Season........................................Lake rs total salary
08/09 (this year).............................82,688,216
09/10 (year of Bynum's RFA)..............68,219,878

That, without bynum's extension (he's only on the books for 3.75M), and they sign no FA's, no draft picks, nothing, and have only 10 bodies on the roster (including Bynum), they are paying roughly 10 Million in lux tax. I really don't think they are going to carry 10 Players for a season...I'd expect Bynum's entire contract to be in Lux tax (16M + in lux tax). His contract might even be that way in 10/11. Putting Bynum on the roster in 10/11 at 16M, gives a total salary of 78.6$M with only 7 players signed in 10/11. Maybe the ownership is willing to eat that bill, but it's surely going to sting.

tomtom
09-05-2008, 09:41 PM
lol did you really say simoleons? :lol

IronMexican
09-05-2008, 10:07 PM
My only regret from this trade was getting rid of Farme instead of Critt.:depressed

ducks
09-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Let's see. This gets posted in the Spurs forum. No problem. However, when I post an Oden thread in the Basketball forum...big problem. Makes sense. :rolleyes

one thread might be ok not 100000000000000000

Ill Cosby
09-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Wow, I want to see him play, but the LakeShow are puttin alot on a cast member who hasn't seen alot a showtime

Pau & Bynum vs Tim Duncan & DRob anybody?

Are you really comparing soft ass Pau to David Robinson?

KidCongo
09-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Wow, I want to see him play, but the LakeShow are puttin alot on a cast member who hasn't seen alot a showtime

or Bynum to TD.

IronMexican
09-05-2008, 10:43 PM

Other way around. Pau and Duncan some what do remind me of each other.
except Duncan is a lot better at everything other than mid range.

benefactor
09-05-2008, 11:18 PM
If it was me I'd let him get about half a season behind him on that knee before any kind of commitment is made...or you could wind up with a Nene situation

Mister Sinister
09-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Bawwww.

dallaskd
09-05-2008, 11:25 PM
way to much fucking money for Bynum. Please do this Lakers. It will haunt you.

Vinnie_Johnson
09-05-2008, 11:27 PM
That is a lot of cash 80 Million over 5 years. So the Lakers would have Kobe and Bynum and a bunch of scrubs and rookies that fit under the cap.

JamStone
09-06-2008, 12:04 AM

His extension wouldn't include the two years he's still under contract. A five year extension would mean he's locked up for the next 7 seasons.

That is a lot of cash 80 Million over 5 years. So the Lakers would have Kobe and Bynum and a bunch of scrubs and rookies that fit under the cap.

Not that much money by NBA center standards if he lives up to expectations. Plus, they'll have Pau Gasol's Bird rights so they could re-sign him without regard of the cap. Plus, I don't think Dr. Buss has a problem with paying luxury tax as long as the Lakers are selling their tickets and competing for titles.

bostonguy
09-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Lakers need to find a way to deal those scrubs walton and Vlad for a better backup bigman. Plus Ariza will be back 100%.

IronMexican
09-06-2008, 12:26 AM
We're stuck with those 2 scrubs for a while, no one wants those contracts.
Ariza should be great next season.

Vinnie_Johnson
09-06-2008, 12:40 AM
His extension wouldn't include the two years he's still under contract. A five year extension would mean he's locked up for the next 7 seasons.

Not that much money by NBA center standards if he lives up to expectations. Plus, they'll have Pau Gasol's Bird rights so they could re-sign him without regard of the cap. Plus, I don't think Dr. Buss has a problem with paying luxury tax as long as the Lakers are selling their tickets and competing for titles.

80 million over 5 years for a 20 year old kid? WTF are you high that is a boat load of cash and yes it will cap them out.

Allanon
09-06-2008, 12:53 AM
I'm thinking if the Lakers see Bynum in camp and he's looking good, they'll sign him for much less.

If they wait until the season starts and Bynum starts dominating, he's going to be expensive to extend.

Lakers should gamble a little and sign him in camp for 5 years $50 million.

Vinnie_Johnson
09-06-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm thinking if the Lakers see Bynum in camp and he's looking good, they'll sign him for much less.

If they wait until the season starts and Bynum starts dominating, he's going to be expensive to extend.

Lakers should gamble a little and sign him in camp for 5 years $50 million.

That's better but would be sweet to get him for 8.0 a year over 6... 48 million. :toast

angelbelow
09-06-2008, 01:04 AM
wow thats an expensive extension, i wouldnt be able to justify it but hope everything works out.

bostonguy
09-06-2008, 01:23 AM
[QUOTE=bostonguy;2755229]Lakers need to find a way to deal those scrubs walton and Vlad for a better backup bigman. Plus Ariza will be back 100%.[/QUO

Now you talking:toast We got stuck with those guys when we were sorry, just like you guys got stuck with Scalabrini.

You have Vlad until summer of 2011 while Walton is locked up until Summer of 2013. Scalabers is only with us for 2 more seasons at 3 million per. He has much more trade value at the moment than either of those 2. Plus he spent just about all his time on IR while Walton/Vlad were getting rotation minutes.:toast:p:

Lakers_55
09-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Hahah, thanks for that, I was actually a Spurs fan back then living in Texas. I used to get a good kick out of this commercial; haven't seen it in ages.

Definitely the original "Twin Towers" and I can't see the new Twin Towers (Pau/Bynum) being this funny.

Brings back some good memories.
Fist time I recall hearing the term "Twin Towers" in the NBA it was to describe Hakeem Olojuwon and Ralph Sampson when they played for Houston in the 80's.

z0sa
09-06-2008, 07:57 AM
:lmao

this is great. Bynum wanting a contract that large is just ridiculous.

JamStone
09-06-2008, 09:06 AM
80 million over 5 years for a 20 year old kid? WTF are you high that is a boat load of cash and yes it will cap them out.

Notice I did qualify it by saying "by NBA center standards." Yes it's a boat load of cash, but by NBA center standards, it's not that bad, especially when you figure starting three years from now when it actually kicks in, inflation will make that a more reasonable salary for the duration of that extension.

Andrew Bogut just got a $72 million, 5 year extension. Nene got $60 million. Chris Kaman got a 5 year, $51 million extension. Four years ago, Adonal Foyle got a $40 million contract for being a back-up center. Four years ago. Back up.

It's a lot of money. And, Bynum probably doesn't deserve that much. But, it's not outrageous. It doesn't matter his age. Look at his size and potential. Plus, he already put up 13/10 in less than 30 minutes a game when he did play last year. The kid is worth a lot of money.

z0sa
09-06-2008, 10:26 AM
13/10 is not 20 mil a year money.

JamStone
09-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Andrew Bogut put up 14/10 in 35 mpg. Is that worth $72 million? Nene put up 11/7 the last two years. Is that worth $10 million/year?

13/10 in 29 minutes is about 17/13 in 38 mpg playing with a guy like Kobe Bryant where you don't get as many shot attempts. He'd also be averaging 2.8 blocks per game in 38 minutes a game. It's not just numbers anyway. Production + potential + youth + size at the center position. It's a lot of money, but all things considered, it's not ridiculous for Bynum to seek such an extension.

ShoogarBear
09-06-2008, 08:05 PM

Not if he can get Kobe's lawyers.

lefty
09-06-2008, 08:12 PM
WTF

Not sure the guy is gonna be healthy

09-06-2008, 08:20 PM
it's the lakers' own fault for continually hyping up bynum. the way some lakers fans put it, bynum is the second coming of tim duncan. lakers fan love to put him up there as one of the league's top centers. if he really is, why not give him the max contract? i don't think bynum will reach his full scoring potential as long as gasol and kobe are still the main scoring options. and lamar odom is also buried somewhere in there. thus a max contract is not justified.