PDA

View Full Version : Red Lights on the XBox

Brutalis
09-06-2008, 01:01 PM
:bang

My shit is bunk. I got red lights on the left side, and one red light on the bottom of the right side. My friend says this is a common problem with the XBox and that Microsoft almost did a recall on them but instead offer a 4 year support thing for them to send you a new one or repair the one you got. Is that true?

I tried to Google the problem and found little hints to try and fix it but they didn't work. I'm trying to figure out if I'm just screwed here or if Microsoft will fix this shit. Anyone know?

I have the core system, no hard drive. I use memory cards. Was cheaper and my game play is not extensive.

Dex
09-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Three of the lights on the Ring of Light on the front of your Xbox 360 console flash red
View products that this article applies to.
Article ID : 907534
Last Review : July 23, 2008
Revision : 7.1
SYMPTOMS
Three lights flash red on the Ring of Light (RoL) on the front of your Xbox 360 console. The upper-right quadrant light is the only light that does not flash red.

Back to the top
CAUSE
The three flashing red lights may indicate that there is a hardware problem with your Xbox 360 console.

Back to the top
MORE INFORMATION
If you are experiencing this problem, you can submit a console-repair request online. However, before you submit your request, first try the following two steps to verify the problem:
1. When you turn on the console, look at the light on the power supply. The power supply light should illuminate green even if the three lights on the Ring of Light flash red. If the power supply light is not green, please follow the steps in one of the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

906101 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906101/) Troubleshooting your Xbox 360 Power Supply when the light is red

906102 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906102/) Troubleshooting your Xbox 360 Power Supply when the light is orange

906103 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906103/) Troubleshooting your Xbox 360 Power Supply when the light is not illuminated

2. Turn off the console. Wait 10 seconds, and then turn on the console again to see whether the problem re-occurs.

If your console continues to display three flashing red lights, your console may have to be repaired. For more information about how to start the repair process online, please visit http://www.xbox.com/support (http://www.xbox.com/support), and then click Repair your console in the upper-right part of the Web page.

Note Online console repair service is currently not available in all countries and regions.
If you want to instead contact Xbox Customer Support directly, please visit http://www.xbox.com/support/contact (http://www.xbox.com/support/contact) for information about how to do this.

That's the best I can do. I had an issue with mine where all 4 corners were flashing, and their suggestions fixed the problem. However, it looks like those lights do indicate an actual hardware issue, so that may be what it comes down to.

Bummer, bro. :( I know those are like little red lights of doom when they come on.

baseline bum
09-06-2008, 01:26 PM
MS extended warranties to 3 years on all X360s, so call their tech support at 1-800-4-MY-XBOX to have it replaced.

Brutalis
09-06-2008, 01:56 PM
MS extended warranties to 3 years on all X360s, so call their tech support at 1-800-4-MY-XBOX to have it replaced.

I can't. I don't have it registered. I got it through Rent-A-Center a few years ago before I started working. It didn't come with the box or anything.

Brutalis
09-06-2008, 02:03 PM
I just registered my stuff and it says "# Warranty Status: Out of Warranty"

Go figure....

dirk4mvp
09-06-2008, 02:18 PM
How is that possible considering the 360 hasn't even been out for 3 years?

E20
09-06-2008, 02:20 PM
This is what you get for making that ridiculously hard guessing game for that Manu card.

baseline bum
09-06-2008, 02:39 PM
I just registered my stuff and it says "# Warranty Status: Out of Warranty"

Go figure....

They told you to fuck off on the phone? I'd keep calling and bitching. Anything other than the 3 red rings of death isn't covered after year 1, but the 3 red rings are covered until at the earliest November 22, 2008 (assuming it was bought on launch date). The extended warranty is also retroactive on any X360 purchased before it was offered.

Brutalis
09-06-2008, 02:40 PM
This is what you get for making that ridiculously hard guessing game for that Manu card.

:lol Yeah I'm doing a different contest for the card, an easier one probably.

How is that possible considering the 360 hasn't even been out for 3 years?

That's what I asked them on the phone just now, they said for my issue they will repair it for free and UPS is coming by Monday to drop of the box to put it in. They are covering shipping and all repairs.

:tu :tu :tu

baseline bum
09-06-2008, 02:42 PM
Straight from the horse's mouth

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/Xbox360/resources/warrantyupdate.htm
Expanded Xbox 360 Warranty Coverage FAQ

Q: What are you rolling out that is new?
A: While we maintain our one-year console warranty (two years in some countries), Microsoft is extending the terms of its Xbox 360 warranty to three years for certain general hardware failures which are indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. This will apply to new and existing customers and we will retroactively pay back the out-of-warranty repair costs paid by customers for console problems indicated by the three flashing red lights.

Q: How does this warranty differ from your existing warranty?
A: Currently, any Xbox 360 is covered by a one year manufacturer’s warranty (two years in some parts of the world). If the console is out of warranty, there is a charge to have it repaired. It then comes with an additional one year repair warranty. With these changes, there is effectively a three year warranty with no charge for repair for general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights error code which displays on the console.

Q: Is this effective worldwide?
A: Yes, these policies are global. The new policies are now being instituted in our customer service centers around the world, which may take a few days to fully implement.

Q: When does the policy change go into effect?
A: These new policies are now being instituted in our customer service centers around the world, which may take a few days to fully implement. They will apply to new and existing customers. For the latest information, customers should visit Xbox.com.

Q: Is there any health or safety issue at play here?
A: This is in no way related to any sort of product safety issue.

Q: Do I get a refund?
A: Yes, we will reimburse any customer who was out of warranty and paid for repairs due issues indicated by the three flashing red lights error message. Customer should expect to receive a check in 10-12 weeks.

Q: How does this affect my extended warranty bought from my retailer?
A: You’re still covered under your existing warranty for issues outside the scope of this specific three-year warranty.

Q: Have you identified a root cause that can lead to failure?
A: There is not a single issue that we can point to as being a problem. We test the product extensively, including accelerated life testing, but the nature of the console itself is very complex, as it’s a consumer electronic product that contains more than 1,700 different components and 500 million transistors.

There are a variety of scenarios that can cause a general hardware failure. Only the indicator (the three flashing red lights) is always the same.

Q: Who do I contact with further questions?
A: Please contact your local Xbox Customer Service (1-800-4-MY-XBOX in the US and Canada).

Brutalis
09-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Yup baseline they are going to fix it for free.

And she said check my email for the UPS shipping label and Microsoft's email. And guess what... I HAVE NO FUCKING EMAIL. Ugh.

baseline bum
09-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Dude, the failure rate on those first generation X360s is freaking 33%!!

Brutalis
09-06-2008, 02:48 PM
I wish they would just send me a new one. This one is beat up pretty bad :lol

I'm wondering if I should call them and be put on hold again for 20 mins to tell them I got no email, or wait it out.

baseline bum
09-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Yup baseline they are going to fix it for free.

And she said check my email for the UPS shipping label and Microsoft's email. And guess what... I HAVE NO FUCKING EMAIL. Ugh.

When I got mine fixed they included the pre-paid UPS label inside the box. It'll probably be out 2 weeks to a month or so, but you get a one month XBox Live gold card to make up for all the hassle. :bang

baseline bum
09-06-2008, 02:51 PM
I wish they would just send me a new one. This one is beat up pretty bad :lol

I'm wondering if I should call them and be put on hold again for 20 mins to tell them I got no email, or wait it out.

You're almost certain to get a different XBox back. I sent mine in to fix a drive that wasn't opening, and they shipped me a different 360 instead of fixing the dvd drive on my otherwise perfect second-generation system.

:pctoss

IronMexican
09-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I bought my 360 a month ago. all this shit worries me for mine.

Brutalis
09-06-2008, 02:56 PM
I bought my 360 a month ago. all this shit worries me for mine.

Don't worry. If you bought it a month ago yours is a new generation and has all the bug fixes.

When I got mine fixed they included the pre-paid UPS label inside the box. It'll probably be out 2 weeks to a month or so, but you get a one month XBox Live gold card to make up for all the hassle. :bang

Well the Arab girl on the phone said I have to check my email and print the shipping label sent by UPS and tape it to the box UPS sends me. Weird.

You're almost certain to get a different XBox back. I sent mine in to fix a drive that wasn't opening, and they shipped me a different 360 instead of fixing the dvd drive on my otherwise perfect second-generation system.

Well mine is first generation I believe. It's old, beat up, dusty.. and like I mentioned above I don't have the hard drive cause I don't play that often and use memory cards instead.

lefty
09-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Smart people buy PS3

dirk4mvp
09-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Smart people buy PS3

who knows, brutalis may want some good online play.

lefty
09-06-2008, 09:55 PM
who knows, brutalis may want some good online play.

I have to admit online gaming is better with the 360

baseline bum
09-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Smart people buy PS3

People who want acceptable frame rates and less buggy games buy XBox360.

IronMexican
09-06-2008, 10:04 PM
I have to admit online gaming is better with the 360

I have both, and the 360 is a lot better imo. I like being able to talk to a friend while I play madden and he's on Fifa

balli
09-06-2008, 11:27 PM
This article rips MS a new one. Even so, I'm still using my launch 360 and even if it dies I'll buy another one instead of a PS3. I would get the playstation except, y'know, besides MGS I'm not sure they've exclusively released any games for it that are worth playing. Too bad- the good console has shit games and the shit console has great games. Fuckin' copyright laws.

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

When his fourth Xbox 360 video game console died in April, Chris Szarek wasn’t surprised.

The Chicopee, Mass. gamer was accustomed to the hardware failures that became known throughout the Internet as RROD, or the “red rings of death” which flash when the console becomes inoperable.

A 40-year-old photographer, Szarek was a hardcore Microsoft fan who spent more than $1,000 on his games. But each time one of his Xbox 360 consoles failed, he had to spend time convincing Microsoft’s tech support that they should send him a new console. Each time he got a refurbished console as a replacement (a machine that had been returned to a repair center in Texas, fixed as much as possible, and then shipped back out). When he complained on the Internet and to the media about the shoddy product and poor customer service, people branded him a cry baby and wrote him off as a statistical anomaly. But by the spring of 2008, Szarek was vindicated. There were at least a million or two other people like him.

Szarek’s fourth machine lasted almost two years, experiencing the same short life that many other Xbox 360s suffered. Microsoft replaced these machines for free under the warranty that it announced on July 5, 2007, for defective Xbox 360s exhibiting what it more politely called the “three flashing red lights.” That warranty program cost Microsoft up to $1.15 billion, but the loss of face and loyalty among gamers in the fierce console war with Nintendo and Sony has been immeasurable. Szarek, who became a spokesman for dispossessed defective Xbox 360 owners, played a part in making Microsoft acknowledge its console quality problem.

This is the unauthorized tale of how Microsoft lost its chance to become the leader in the biggest market it has attacked beyond its twin monopolies in Office and Windows software. Rival game console maker Nintendo out-thought the larger players Microsoft and Sony by designing the Wii game console with a clever, intuitive game controller. Even so, Microsoft could have captured more gamers during this product generation, yet the RROD problem held it back. The Xbox 360’s defect problem will go down as one of the worst snafus in consumer electronics history.

Its own worst enemy

Microsoft knew it had flawed machines, but it did not delay its launch because it believed the quality problems would subside over time. With each new machine, the company figured it would ride the “learning curve,” or continuously improve its production. Even though Microsoft’s leaders knew their quality wasn’t top notch, they did not ensure that resources were in place to handle returns and quickly debug bad consoles. There were plenty of warning signs, but the company chose to ignore them. The different parts of the business weren’t aligned.

It reminds me of the German war machine just before World War I, as chronicled by Barbara Tuchman in the classic history book, “The Guns of August.” The German generals were intent on keeping their trains on time; but the leaders overlooked their chances for stopping the war altogether. The Schlieffen plan called for them to strike first. Once the Russians and French mobilized, the Germans had to move into action. They marched off blindly into tragedy.

Likewise, Microsoft’s strategy depended on beating its rivals to market. It couldn’t afford to stop and delay the launch in order to solve its quality problems, or so upper management believed. What Microsoft’s leaders didn’t realize was that getting to market first with a flawed machine would only win them a battle; and it risked the loss of the war.

“They got enamored with the idea of the Microsoft army rolling everything out at the same time,” said one knowledgeable source who asked not to be identified.

The quality problem negated much of the advantage of going first, and it has delayed the company’s plan to aggressively market the console and slash its prices. (Microsoft disputes this point; it cut the price of all three versions of its Xbox consoles by $50 to $79 on Wednesday. And the company believes it will sell more boxes than Sony will. But prices ought to be lower still during this stage of the console life cycle). That has stopped the company from reaching the broader market of consumers that Nintendo has won over. It has lowered its ambitions, hoping instead just to get a clear edge on third-placed Sony. The future profits that the company once hoped for are now likely to wind up in Nintendo’s pockets.

Microsoft’s top game executive, Robbie Bach, president of the Entertainment & Devices group, said at a dinner in July that Microsoft’s own research shows that gamers have largely forgiven the company for defective Xbox 360s. Microsoft has still sold more Xbox 360 consoles than Sony to date. But there is no doubt that the company has lost considerable good will among gamers. Before Microsoft offered free replacements, connsumers grumbled that they had to turn to forums, such as those on Ars Technica, to vent and to find solutions to problems that the company didn’t openly discuss. And for a couple of months now, Sony’s PlayStation 3 has been outselling the Xbox 360 in the U.S. for the first time.

“Fundamentally, their thinking shows that they are a software company at heart,” said one veteran manufacturing executive. “They put something out and figure they can fix it with the next patch or come up with a bug fix.”

The terrifying part of the story is that this kind of problem — where technology fails and no one knows what to do about it — can happen to any company.

About this story

I asked Microsoft to confirm or deny 35 different facts contained in this story. Instead, I received a formal statement from a Microsoft spokesperson, saying the company had already acknowledged an “unacceptable number of repairs” to Xbox 360 consoles and responded to the hardware failures with a free replacement program. The statement also said, “This topic has already been covered extensively in the media. This new story repeats old information, and contains rumors and innuendo from anonymous sources, attempting to create a new sensational angle, and is highly irresponsible.”

I don’t think this story is sensational. I have tried to verify the facts over several years. I view this story as the last chapter for my book on the making of the Xbox 360, “The Xbox 360 Uncloaked: The Real Story Behind Microsoft’s Next-Generation Video Game Console.”

The facts revealed themselves slowly, emerging from the day-to-day stories that I wrote about the game business. Some people might consider this post mortem to be ancient history. But the reverberations are still playing out today. They help explain why Microsoft isn’t being aggressive with its price cuts and why gamers aren’t getting bargains on hardware as they did the last generation. While I talked to many people for this story, few were willing to let me use their names. As you will see, not every source is anonymous, and we have included the viewpoint of Microsoft executives from past interviews.

The details are interesting because they offer a deeper look into how the console business runs than is otherwise available. Microsoft, for instance, still hasn’t perfected its Xbox 360 manufacturing process. In the absence of a precise chronology from Microsoft, some anonymous sources have tried to describe what happened. But the history of the decision making and inside story of what happened on the RROD has never been told, until now.

IronMexican
09-06-2008, 11:42 PM
This article rips MS a new one. Even so, I'm still using my launch 360 and even if it dies I'll buy another one instead of a PS3. I would get the playstation except, y'know, besides MGS I'm not sure they've exclusively released any games for it that are worth playing. Too bad- the good console has shit games and the shit console has great games. Fuckin' copyright laws.

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/05/xbox-360-defects-an-inside-history-of-microsofts-video-game-console-woes/

Think about how often that happens. Xbox was superior to ps2, but ps2 had all the good games. psp was way better than DS, but DS has all the games. and now it happens again.

lefty
09-06-2008, 11:58 PM
People who want acceptable frame rates and less buggy games buy XBox360.

That's BS

And I had a 360

Slydragon
09-07-2008, 12:05 AM
http://www.dabbledoo.com/ee/images/uploads/gamertell/red_ring_of_death_skull_200.jpg

http://www.michelbytes.com/michelbites/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/the-ring-of-death.jpg

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/09/rrod.jpg

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/GuyzieMan/RedRingOfDeath.png

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3225/2346729310_7caf972881.jpg

http://gamezoneradio.com/wp-content/uploads/kens_jack-o-lantern2.JPG

http://www.xboxer.tv/red-ring-of-death-card.jpg

Brutalis
09-07-2008, 12:24 AM
:lmao at you guys. Niceee...

Like I said, I hope I get a new one sent to me. Fuck repairing it..

Brutalis
09-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Question: My gamer profile and achievements. Is that on my memory card or XBox?

fuck am I going to lose it all??

baseline bum
09-07-2008, 12:38 AM
That's BS

And I had a 360

Maybe Sony's starting to catch up for this upcoming Christmas season, but for the past two years the X360 port of a multiplatform game is almost always superior to the PS3 one.

baseline bum
09-07-2008, 12:39 AM

It's on your memory card.

balli
09-07-2008, 12:47 AM
As long as consoles have existed, discussions, debates, arguments, fights, and all out WARS have taken place over who makes the best video game units. Growing up, I was always a Nintendo fan boy; I didn't want to hear anything about Sega Genesis... In my mind, Nintendo had Mario, Zelda, and other great first-party titles. Sega had Sonic, and red blood.

Things are slightly more complicated these days however. Console makers are taking different approaches to designing their products; some go for hardcore processing power, others focus more on online gaming. We already have a heated debate going on in our forum about which console is better, PS3 or XBOX 360.

I thought it would be a good idea to ask my friend, who is a lead programmer for a large gaming company that produces games for both PS3 and XBOX 360. He has also worked on PS2, XBOX 1, and PC games in the past 6-or-so years. Obviously, considering his position working with both consoles and both Sony and Microsoft, he doesn't want to step on any toes, so wishes to remain anonymous at this time. Here are his thoughts on the subject:

Being a video game developer (I develop for both, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360) people ask me almost daily which platform I think is better. These are my personal feelings, in no way does this reflect my employer.

Short answer: XBOX 360.

Long answer: Price, performance, visual quality, game selection and online support. I think the XBOX 360 wins in every category.

Price: This is obvious; the XBOX 360 core is only $299. The PS3 is around $499 for the 20GB version. It comes with a hard drive, but you don’t need a hard drive to enjoy a lot of great games on the 360 so I think it’s fair to compare both core systems.

Performance: On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it’s quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU’s the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU’s on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU’s and do things the XBOX 360 can’t, but I don’t think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).

Graphics: The XBOX 360 is a clear winner. The GPU is more powerful. It has more powerful fillrate, and far more pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Part of the reason is their choice of memory, and architecture of pixel and vertex procesing. I can’t get into details but the same vertex shader will run much slower on the PS3 than the XBOX 360. The 360 also has a clever new way rendering high definition anti aliased back buffers. To accomplish the same effect on PS3 is prohibitively expensive. For this reason I think many games will have no choice but to run in non-HD resolutions on the PS3 version, use a lower quality anti aliasing technique, or do back buffer upscaling. The end result in all cases is going to be noticeably worse image quality.

Game Selection: The XBOX 360 has a huge head start here. 1 year is an eternity in gaming. Almost all multi-platform developers have made the XBOX 360 their primary platform due to timing of release-to-market, this means the games will look and perform better on the 360. The PS3 versions will be ports of the 360 versions. (The opposite was true for XBOX 1 vs. PS2). The XBOX 360 is also far faster to develop for due to better development tools (massively popular Visual Studio .NET vs. proprietary, buggy PS3 compiler and debugger), better documentation, and easier architecture (3 general purpose CPU’s vs. 8 specialized processors that require DMA). Timing has also caused all next-gen middleware developers to make XBOX 360 their primary platform, and they will ‘add ps3 support’ as needed. This support will probably be inferior to the XBOX 360’s due to manpower and more importantly, demand. It’s this catch-22 now that will continue to drive the 360 forward and hold PS3 back.

The other obvious point here is that right now the Xbox360 already has a very impressive line-up of titles on store shelves; the ps3 just launched, and has virtually nothing of interest. Also, many 360 games are already discounted. PS3 games are all full price since it just launched.

Live: Microsoft’s online support with XBOX1 was phenomenal. They built in-house experience, user base, facilities, $$ commitment from executive level (since it proved successful), and most importantly, feedback from 100,000s of XBOX Live subscribers. Playstation 2’s online support sucked. They are now playing catch-up, trying to emulate Xbox’s model. But they had their hands tied just trying to make the PS3 work, it was incredibly ambitious (blu-ray etc.). I haven’t seen it yet, but I seriously doubt the quality will be anywhere to the level of XBOX 360.

One year later, I am going to don my flamesuit, and take a look at each console. Let’s see if the PS3 has made strides! It’s certainly selling better lately.

-Performance
Here’s a tough one. On paper, the Playstation 3’s Cell engine is more capable than XBOX 360’s triple-core Xenon CPU. However, as our developer alluded to last year, the XBOX 360 is much easier to develop for. In other words, a lot of the Cell’s power is going to waste. Although that is expected to change eventually, as always seems to happen with Sony’s consoles (compare early PS2 games to current games, and the same goes for PS1), one year later we’re still waiting for someone to fully exploit the system. Another indication that the PS3 is harder to develop for is the fact that almost all multiplatform games arrive weeks - if not months - after their 360 versions.

As we said last year, we fully expect the PS3 to win this category - eventually. To what extent, we’re not sure (very likely it’s only going to be the blockbuster first-party titles that take full advantage of Cell), and when this will occur, we’re not sure either. Obviously, one full year wasn’t enough.

Graphics
This is a sticky subject for a lot of fanboys. A very common argument in most flame wars is that the Playstation 3 simply “has better graphics”. I’m not sure where that argument came from; Sony obviously did a good job of marketing the system. However, the argument is entirely false. The Xenos GPU on the XBOX 360 is superior the RSX on the PS3. This is one thing that didn’t change in the past year.

Xenos simply has more power - higher fillrate, higher pixel processing power, higher vertex processing power, and better memory architecture. If you look at multiplatform games and contrast the graphics on the two consoles, XBOX 360 almost always leads. Whether they use a higher resolution or higher quality antialiasing, games often look better and/or play smoother on the 360. We looked at a handful of multiplatform games a while back, and this was always the case.
Again, we have to consider that Cell has the potential to help with graphics on the Playstation 3. As developers become more familiar with the platform, they are going to come up with new tricks to help games run smoother, and allow them to look better. However, one year after its introduction we aren’t seeing huge leaps (or even baby steps) towards this, except on a couple exclusive titles.

Game Selection
This category has two things to consider; exclusive titles for each console, and which console is better to play multiplatform games on. I think we covered the latter issue with the graphics category; given the choice between playing a multiplatform game on either console, the XBOX 360 is almost always better. At the very least, games will look the same on both consoles. At the worst, games on the PS3 will run at half the framerate of the 360, and at lower resolutions with less filtering and antialiasing. Also, multiplatform games are often delayed by weeks or even months on the PS3 (a testament to the difficulty of working with the system). Case in point, The Orange Box. The 2nd best selling XBOX 360 game after Halo 3 in October, and it is nowhere to be seen on the Playstation 3. And by early accounts, it is quite choppy on the Playstation 3.

So what about exclusive titles? After all, graphics and performance notwithstanding, this has to be the most important decision to make for most gamers choosing between the two consoles. It has been a full year, and.. well… things aren’t looking too good for the Playstation 3. As ScrewAttack noted in their Top 10 Exclusives for PS3, there aren’t even enough decent games to make a Top 10 list with!

http://www.hardcoreware.net/playstation-3-vs-xbox-360-one-year-later/

Slydragon
09-07-2008, 01:09 AM

It's on Xbox's server end, If you get a new Xbox you can import the account (games profile) over along with all achievements you have unlock. You only lose game saves.

Brutalis
09-07-2008, 01:17 AM
It's on your memory card.

Hopefully.

It's on Xbox's server end, If you get a new Xbox you can import the account (games profile) over along with all achievements you have unlock. You only lose game saves.

I don't play Live anymore. I'm on a router that gets internet from about 100 yards away at my uncles house. It's satellite too, and slowww.

So I'll lost my legendary on Halo3? Shit.

What will be on my memory card exactly, does anyone know?

baseline bum
09-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Hopefully.

I don't play Live anymore. I'm on a router that gets internet from about 100 yards away at my uncles house. It's satellite too, and slowww.

So I'll lost my legendary on Halo3? Shit.

What will be on my memory card exactly, does anyone know?

Your profile and all saved games will be stored on the memory card. Any kind of data such as XBox Live won/loss records, stats, etc. will be on XBoxLive servers I believe. Achievements will be on the memory card.

Brutalis
09-07-2008, 01:35 AM
^ Thanks :tu

Brutalis
09-11-2008, 03:59 AM
* Repair order submitted - We have received your repair order and it is in the queue to be processed.
* Waiting for device at service center - We have processed your order and are waiting for your console to arrive at our service center. The total amount of time for your repair order depends on how quickly you send your console to us by using the shipping instructions that we included. Your console should be returned to you within 2 to 3 weeks of the date that you send it to us.
* Device received at service center - We have received your console.
* Device shipped to customer - Your console has been repaired or replaced. We are shipping it back to you.

:)

Slydragon
09-11-2008, 08:24 AM
My friend once sent his in for the ring of death and his girlfriend called him at work that he just got it back, so he invited a few friends over after work to play Madden. Gets home with his friends hook everything up and hit power, it starts and 2 mins. later another ring of death. He was beyond piss.

He called back and they gave him a free game to show they were sorry.

Phenomanul
09-11-2008, 10:53 AM
I highly recommend you buy the cooling fan attachment if you don't already have one. It helps prevent the leading cause behind the 'Red Ring of Death'... overheating.

Dex
09-11-2008, 11:42 AM
I highly recommend you buy the cooling fan attachment if you don't already have one. It helps prevent the leading cause behind the 'Red Ring of Death'... overheating.

Yep, 360s overheat worse than Paris Hilton on Spanish Fly. If you can't afford a nifty fan attachment, I know people who use everything from bottlecaps to cd-cases to prop it up a bit to allow for good ventilation underneath.

Generally speaking, stacking things on top of it or putting it into a tiny cabinet/enclosure is asking for trouble, too.

Evan
09-11-2008, 12:13 PM
My friend once sent his in for the ring of death and his girlfriend called him at work that he just got it back, so he invited a few friends over after work to play Madden. Gets home with his friends hook everything up and hit power, it starts and 2 mins. later another ring of death. He was beyond piss.

He called back and they gave him a free game to show they were sorry.

What a massive buzzkill

balli
09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
No offense, but I think the cooling fan suggestion is just terrible. From everything I've read those fans draw their power from the 360 itself, thereby forcing the GPU to operate with less power. RROD is already caused by the GPU having to work too hard and thus, overheating, so I don't think you want to be putting an extra burden on the power supply of your 360. If you can find one that draws power froma wall outlet, it might be a good idea, but I've read countless message board threads about RROD that always conclude using an aftermarket fan system is just the pits. Nyko, (the leading fan maker) boasts a 2-10 degree F drop in internal case temperatures, but interestingly they mention nothing about the temp of the GPU and CPU, just the temperature in the case. I'm not convinced.

I agree with the suggestion that you should prop it up to ensure ventilation on all sides. I keep mine on top of a milk crate. Another (extreme) idea is to mod or buy an aftermarket case that essentially quadruples the size of your 360 and allows for awesome ventilation.

I just wouldn't worry about it though. Prop it up and let er' rip, if it dies it dies.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/gallery/lianli/lianli1_medium.jpg

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/06/aftermarket_xbox_360_case_reduces_noise_heat_and_d esign-2.html

Brutalis
09-11-2008, 12:47 PM
No offense, but I think the cooling fan suggestion is just terrible. From everything I've read those fans draw their power from the 360 itself, thereby forcing the GPU to operate with less power. RROD is already caused by the GPU having to work too hard and thus, overheating, so I don't think you want to be putting an extra burden on the power supply of your 360. If you can find one that draws power froma wall outlet, it might be a good idea, but I've read countless message board threads about RROD that always conclude using an aftermarket fan system is just the pits. Nyko, (the leading fan maker) boasts a 2-10 degree F drop in internal case temperatures, but interestingly they mention nothing about the temp of the GPU and CPU, just the temperature in the case. I'm not convinced.

I agree with the suggestion that you should prop it up to ensure ventilation on all sides. I keep mine on top of a milk crate. Another (extreme) idea is to mod or buy an aftermarket case that essentially quadruples the size of your 360 and allows for awesome ventilation.

I just wouldn't worry about it though. Prop it up and let er' rip, if it dies it dies.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/06/aftermarket_xbox_360_case_reduces_noise_heat_and_d esign-2.html

But I've heard people getting their game screwed up by moving the XBox with the game already inside.

Brutalis
09-11-2008, 12:49 PM
How come the have a fan on it? Or what looks like a ghost of a fan??

Phenomanul
09-11-2008, 01:08 PM

Not that I'm doubting what you've read or heard about the Nyko fans... but a measureable decrease in the case temperature does actually reflect the fact that the convection coefficient inside the XBox 360 is higher. That means that the radiant heat from the electronic components is being removed at a higher rate (but not necessarily more efficiently in terms of power consumption).

balli
09-11-2008, 01:17 PM
How come the have a fan on it? Or what looks like a ghost of a fan??

I think it replaces the fan that comes with the original case, so I don't think it adds any extra power consumption to the motherboard. Just to be clear though, I would never get one of those cases. Just an extreme suggestion to show how far you could go to prevent RROD.

As far as the Nyko's go, yeah, I don't want to entirely discount their effectiveness, but I figure it's just a crapshoot anyway you go, so you might as well just ride the wave and hope nothing goes wrong.

Ballcox
09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I got the 3 red lights a while back, sent in my old console and instead of fixing that one, got a brand new one back in less than 2 weeks. I guess living in central Texas helped since the repair center is close by.

That's the only complaint I can come up with concerning my xbox. The games have been great, no framerate issues, and everything looks lovely on my 52 inch LCD screen with the HDMI connection. To this day I'm still amazed by how great the games look and play.

Heath Ledger
09-11-2008, 03:39 PM
My launch 360 still going strong after thousands of hours and many-a-10 hour session

Brutalis
09-11-2008, 04:09 PM
I got the 3 red lights a while back, sent in my old console and instead of fixing that one, got a brand new one back in less than 2 weeks. I guess living in central Texas helped since the repair center is close by.

That's the only complaint I can come up with concerning my xbox. The games have been great, no framerate issues, and everything looks lovely on my 52 inch LCD screen with the HDMI connection. To this day I'm still amazed by how great the games look and play.

I hope for a new one too. Mine is first generation my friend said, and is pretty worn out.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-11-2008, 05:04 PM
I've only redringed once, then I tried to turn it back on, and it had the lights that meant it wasn't plugged in correctly. I re-plugged everything, then the redring showed up again. I then threw my Rock Band drumsticks and chipped them.

Dex
09-11-2008, 06:40 PM
But I've heard people getting their game screwed up by moving the XBox with the game already inside.

So don't move it while it's turned on, or especially while it's running a game.

I've heard similar stories from friends that tried to move it with a game running, and they said when they pulled the disc out it had scorch marks from the laser. Probably bullshit, but interesting nonetheless.

Brutalis
09-11-2008, 08:34 PM
So don't move it while it's turned on, or especially while it's running a game.

I've heard similar stories from friends that tried to move it with a game running, and they said when they pulled the disc out it had scorch marks from the laser. Probably bullshit, but interesting nonetheless.

Nah I'll flip it upside-down so the air can circulate through it!

Dex
09-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Nah I'll flip it upside-down so the air can circulate through it!

You should find one of those paint-can-shakers to rest it on for Gameplay Time.

Brutalis
09-11-2008, 11:37 PM
You should find one of those paint-can-shakers to rest it on for Gameplay Time.

I have a cute wool case for it when it gets sent back. I'm going to wrap it up and insulated it so it will retain heat.

Brutalis
09-12-2008, 04:44 AM
They are already sending it back to me. I got a UPS tracking number and everything. They have only had it for one full day though.

-confused-

Evan
09-12-2008, 10:02 AM
They are already sending it back to me. I got a UPS tracking number and everything. They have only had it for one full day though.

-confused-

Getting a UPS number ahead of an item being shipped happens all the time

balli
09-12-2008, 10:10 AM
The reason you're getting it sent so fast, is because they are not actually sending back the same x-box you sent them. They just threw yours on a pile to re-furbish and are sending you back another one that they've already fixed.

Q: How many times does an Xbox 360 unit have to be sent in and repaired before they will replace it with a completely new unit?
That's not how it works. You send in a broken box, you get back a working box (hopefully). So there is a rotating stock of the original units that get repaired and returned to service. Plus, they keep finding these cashes of launch units here and there and using them too. Didn't you hear during the holidays that bundles were found with units made in 06? Those were pulled back from the retail channel last spring when the new heatsink was done, and had the new heatsink placed on them and then put into the shipping flow like any other box.

This past week I met and interviewed an individual who has worked on the Xbox 360 project for many years and they had some things that they wanted to get out into the public. I have the fullest confidence in the integrity of this confidential source. While respecting and protecting their rights we were able to have an in-depth interview of working in the Xbox project and just how things progressed to this point. Just keep in mind that a while back I broke the story that Bungie was leaving Microsoft and had all the details a full week before the official PR announcement Once again I have a confidential source from inside Redmond and I't all checks out to me.

Now on to the Interview:

Q: So what do you think the real failure rate of the Xbox 360 is? Some have estimated it as high as 30%. I got my Xbox in early 2007 and so far so good but what do you think the chance is that it's going to die on me one day.

It's around 30%, and all will probably fail early. This quarter they are expecting 1 M failures, most of those Xenons. Some of those are repeat failures. Life expectancy is all over the map because the design has very little margin for most of the important parameters. That means it's not a fault tolerant design. So a good unit may last a couple of years, while a bad unit can fail in hours. I have a launch unit and have not had a single problem with it. And it's used a lot. But I don't know anyone else with a 360 that hasn't broken, except you now. There's no way to tell when yours might die. But the cooler you can keep it, the longer it will probably last. So stand it up, keep it in free air, etc. :Note : Xenon was the code name for the first Xbox 360 mother board.

Q: Of all five videogame systems on the market now (PS3, PSP, PS2, DS, Wii and 360)only the Xbox 360 has had such major hardware failure problems. Microsoft being the only company based in the US making a videogame system. What part of Microsoft's way of doing things do you think caused this situation to happen.
First, MS has under resourced that product unit in all engineering areas since the very beginning. Especially in engineering support functions like test, quality, manufacturing, and supplier management. There just weren't enough people to do the job that needed to be done. The leadership in many of those areas was also lopsided in essential skills and experience. But I hear they are really trying to staff up now based on what has happened, and how cheap staff is compared to a couple of billion in cost of quality.

Second, MS was so focused on beating Sony this cycle that the 360 was rushed to market when all indications were that it had serious flaws. The design qual testing was insufficient and incomplete when the product was released to production. The manufacturing test equipment had major gaps in test coverage and wasn't reliable or repeatable. Manufacturing processes at eall levels of suppliers were immature and not in control. Initial end to end yields were in the mid 30%. Low yields always indicate serious design and manufacturing defects. Management chose to continue to ship anyways, and keep the lines running while trying to solve problems and bring the yields up. Whenever something failed and there was a question about whether the test result was false, they would remove that test, retest and ship, or see if the unit would boot a game and run briefly and then ship. 360 is too complex of a machine to get away with that.

In the end I think it was fear of failure, ambition to beat Sony, and the arrogance that they could figure anything out, that led to the decision to keep shipping. That management team had made some pretty bad decisions in the past and had never had to pay a proportional consequence. I'm sure they thought that somehow they would figure it out and everything would end up ok. Plus, they tend to make big decisions like that in terms of dollars. They would rationalize that if the first few million boxes had a high failure rate, a few 10's of millions of dollars would cover it. And contrasting that cost with a big lead on Sony, would pay it in a heartbeat. They weren't even thinking about Nintendo.

Compare that to Sony, who delayed their launch, even though they were behind, when their box wasn't ready.

Q: In your opinion what do you think the main cause of the Red Ring of Death failures have been?
RROD is caused by anything that fails in the "digital backbone" on the mother board. Also known as a core digital error. CPU, GPU, memory, etc. Bad parts, incompatible parts (timing problems) bad manufacturing process (like solder joints), misapplied heat sinks or thermal interface material, missing parts, broken parts, parts of the wrong value, missed test coverage. Any one or more, on any chip, or many other discrete components, would cause this. And many of the failures were obviously infant mortality, where they work when they leave the factory and fail early in use. The main design flaw was the excessive heat on the GPU warping the mother board around it. This would stress the solder joints on the GPU and any bad joints would then fail in early life.

There are also other significantly high failure rates in other areas, like the DVD.

Q: Does some games more than others cause hardware failure. Gears of War and Dead Rising were thought to be system killers when they came out.
Of course. Infant mortality, which is a weakened mechanical "thing" like a solder joint with a void in it, are exercised to failure by cyclic stress. The number of cycles and the amplitude of temperature change from low to high determine how quickly it will fail. Certain games will consume more bandwidth on the GPU, which has the most substandard thermal solution on the mother board, making it a lot hotter, warping the mobo and flexing the solder joints. Weak joints fail quickly. The better the game, the more often it will be played, again accelerating failures.

Q: Let's go over some of the rumored reasons RROD. Could you tell how close each theory is?
Over heating CPU/GPU due to the lead free solder?
They don't overheat due to PB Free. They over heat due to too much power dissipated in too small of an area, w/o a sufficient thermal management design to take the heat away from the junction of the transistors on the chips, the packages themselves, and the mobo. And the over heating is on the GPU. When the CPU heatsink is applied right, it does not over heat.

Defective parts due to overseas subcontractors?
Some defective parts, like BGAs where the solder balls are not of sufficient and uniform size, so they don't solder down evenly, or the substrate is warped, causing some joints to have insufficient solder. Bad chips from marginal or under tested wafers. Others are deficient processes, like misaligning the solder paste to the circuit board, or same on the parts, or not having the thermal profile right in the reflow oven during soldering. Manufacturers new to PB free tend to err on the low temp side thinking they are saving the parts reliability wise from a large thermal load. What they are really doing is not reflowing the PB free solder enough to make a good joint. PB free solder is non eutectic, which means the different metals in the solder alloy melt at different temperatures, unlike leaded solder where everything melts at the same temperature. If you under heat it, it won't bond well to the board or parts, won't form a good joint, leaving voids and other defects in the joints that lead to early failure under normal circumstances. But when you add the extraordinary heat and mother board warpage that goes with it, well you get a catastrophic failure rate like we've all seen on 360.

Defective or insufficient heat sinks?
A heat sink like the one they eventually put on the GPU would have helped a lot, since it stops the GPU heat from warping the mobo and breaking the solder joints. The CPU heatsink was fine. I've heard the memory was running hot too, and contributing to these failures. Not sure if they were heated by contact with the GPU heatsink, proximity on the mother board, or both. But with the new GPU heatsink the failure rate probably would have still been double digits overall. Way too high still.

Corrupt BIOS or OS bricking the system?
Maybe. But haven't heard of this outside of the periodic dash updates bricking boxes.

Is humidity a factor? Are Xbox 360s in Florida just as likely as a 360 in Seattle?
Humidity is a co-factor with temperature for many failure modes. The hotter the room ambient conditions, the more likely a 360 is to fail, all else being equal. Same for humidity.

Is keeping the 360 horizontal more safe than keeping it vertical?
I don't think so. Vertical exposes more surface area and volume to heat exchange with cooler room air. And I think opens more vent holes. Just don't let it fall over.

System wide design problems due to a production schedule that shipped a full year before the competition's systems?
Yes. It just wasn't mature enough. Too many design defects, lack of design margins, immature test processes and equipment, insufficient PB free manufacturing expertise at partner manufacturers who made the mother board.

Or is there no one specific problem but a bunch of possible problem for each console?
Yes. See above.

Q: How have IBM and ATI dealt with the Xbox 360 problems?
Sorry, I don't know. But they were contracted to design and help launch the chips. After that, MS owned the design and tooling. So they didn't have to worry about it. Although I'm sure they were pulled in.

Q: Just what is up with the RROD "Towel Trick" fix?
My best guess is that it somewhat reflows the solder joints on the GPU while it's under a high compressive load from the heatsink clip, causing any open solder joints to make contact again. I don't think it's going to fully reflow them because 1) PB free solder melts above 300 degrees C, and if that happened the GPU would be pulled flat to the mother board with a big puddle of solder under it shorting everything out.

Q: One of the problems that I have run into my 360 is that the disk tray will fail to eject and not let me swap disks. Have any ideas?

LOL. Reboot and try it again! Sorry, couldn't help myself. You didn't give me enough info. How often does it happen? Notice any conditions that tend to make it happen more repeatably (after long play, unit standing up, right after a previous eject, etc.)? Can you recover and get the tray open at some other time after it fails? What did you have to do? It might be as simple as a bad connection somewhere in the circuit for the eject button. Usually I'd recommend percussive maintenance (hit it) but that would probably damage the disc and could damage the console. So don't. Maybe the disc is jammed in there. Does the tray try to come out and then stop? Maybe there is a misalignment with the box case. See if you can find a place where it might be catching. If you can't find the problem, bring it with you when we meet and I'll look at it.

Q: What do you think of the Karla Starr of the Seattle Weekly's article about video game hardware testing?
I read that when it came out. It's pretty accurate. I've been to VMC a few times where that testing is done. It's kinda brute force last stage game qual testing, after a lot of other testing has been done at the developer and MS. Funny, but you can only automate so much. And then you need to have people touch it and use it to find the unlikely bugs.

Q: How much more reliable are the current generation of Xbox 360 than the previous designs? Original Xenon, Zypher and Falcon.
I've heard that the failure rates for the current design is sub 10%. Much much better, but still too high imoh. And those designs haven't seen much life yet, so no one knows if that failure rate will hold.

Q: Do you think that the "Falcon" Xbox 360 design is the final Xbox 360 hardware iteration or will they come out with a redesigned Xbox 360?
They will come out with new hardware at least once a year until they retire this design. That's the console financial model. Keep the features and functionality the same, reduce cost and price, and improve quality if needed. The 360 roadmap always called for SI die shrink and integration, since that's where most of the cost is. Right now they are working to get the GPU and CPU on the same BGA package for the next mobo. Could lower cost, heat, number of heat sinks, mother board size (maybe squeeze the PS inside too), etc. Too bad that they screwed up and forgot to retain the JTAG IEEE 1149 test functionality, at least what little they had. Now it will be almost impossible for them to tell if that chip is bad if the unit won't boot in the factory. So they will have to trouble shoot by replacing the most expensive part in the system blindly. They keep repeating bad decisions, and everyone is afraid to push issues considered to be bad news.

Q: Do you think that third party fans like the Nyko Intercooler will make things worse? Are they snake oil? I personally have plastic Tiki figures around my Xbox to ward off any evil spirits and so far they have done better in protecting than some of the fan coolers that you see at Gamestop.
I don't know, I'd have to test them. But I'll give you some thoughts. In order for those fans to do any good, they would have to increase the volume of air coming through the box w/o adding heat. I think those things are powered through the USB hub, which is specced at 5 volts, 1/2 an amp. So very little heat added. But the piggybacked fan would have to run at a higher volume that the box fan in order to unload it and make it spin faster, pulling more air over the heatsinks. Would be an easy test to run. Just tape a dry cleaning bag to the back with and w/o the extra fan and time how long to fill. Or if you have access to one, an anemometer is a test instrument that measures airflow and would give a more accurate reading.
Note : the Nyko Intercoolers draws power from the 360 power-source and it looks like surefire way to potentially make things worse.

Edit: http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/129866.asp

Dex
09-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I have a cute wool case for it when it gets sent back. I'm going to wrap it up and insulated it so it will retain heat.

When I'm not using mine, I try to remember to set it out on the driveway.

Not only will the sunlight keep it at premium Texas temperature, but it's more likely to garner attention from neighbors that way.

Brutalis
09-12-2008, 04:01 PM
The reason you're getting it sent so fast, is because they are not actually sending back the same x-box you sent them. They just threw yours on a pile to re-furbish and are sending you back another one that they've already fixed.

Edit: http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/129866.asp

Figures. They should send a wireless controller or a game for the damn trouble. Of course they won't though.

I wonder how long it'll take before I send the one they send me back to them. Seems like it'd be cheaper to just start sending out the ones that are better quality or later models eh?

When I'm not using mine, I try to remember to set it out on the driveway.

Not only will the sunlight keep it at premium Texas temperature, but it's more likely to garner attention from neighbors that way.

Well bring it up here and I'll set it outside for you. We got more humidity. It's like a sauna at times. That way not only will you look cool, your box will stay cool.

Trainwreck2100
09-13-2008, 08:30 PM
I got the red lights yesterday, then they went away

Brutalis
09-14-2008, 12:02 AM
^That's what mine did, then a week later it laid an egg.

Brutalis
09-16-2008, 02:45 PM
It came back today. I think it's the same console, I haven't checked the serial yet. I got a 1 month live gold card I have no use for though. I'm not directly connected to the internet. I am by router and a satellite from my uncle's 100 yards away or so I dunno.

Trainwreck2100
10-27-2008, 12:47 AM
Mines dead and they didn't even send me a coffin, I gotta print out the label tommorow, and i'm sending it to them in a 3 musketeers with mint box. That habib mofo told me "somebody has to be there when they deliver it" then i asked what if they are not since as of today i'm living alone his reply. "somebody has to be there to when they deliver it"

Brutalis
10-27-2008, 10:23 PM
:lol

Trainwreck2100
10-29-2008, 12:29 PM
# Device received at service center - We have received your console.

Cry Havoc
10-29-2008, 12:37 PM
This is the primary reason why I got a Ps3 instead of a 360. Red lights scare me. Best of luck to all of you.

TwAnKiEs
10-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I got the lights about a year ago.. I was living in San Marcos and from the day I called it in to the time I got it back was like 4-5 days :hat

Too bad it didnt die later on... the new replacements are the ones with the HDMI output. :depressed

lefty
10-29-2008, 01:06 PM
This is the primary reason why I got a Ps3 instead of a 360. Red lights scare me. Best of luck to all of you.

+1

Plus we have Blu-Ray :D

Evan
10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
+1

Plus we have Blu-Ray :D

+1 +1

Love my PS3.

to21
10-29-2008, 02:27 PM
+1 +1

Love my PS3.+1 +1 +1

I took a 360 as payment for setting up a web server, so I have the best of both worlds.

Evan
10-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Blu-Ray
Stablility
And those controllers…that’s the major difference.

I don't care about the free wireless online so much.

Dex
10-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Guess who joined the club?

I don't even play it that much anymore. I'm just lazy and hate calling technical support.

Dex
10-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I got the red lights yesterday, then they went away

Hate to say it, but your time is coming, buddy.

(Mine did the same thing :()

lefty
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Blu-Ray
Stablility
And those controllers…that’s the major difference.

I don't care about the free wireless online so much.

Yep.

Not to mention that I'm used to the PS controllers (I owned PS1 and 2)

Trainwreck2100
10-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Hate to say it, but your time is coming, buddy.

(Mine did the same thing :()

it came and went. Have fun with those CS Indians

Trainwreck2100
10-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Device shipped to customer - Your console has been repaired or replaced. We are shipping it back to you.

it should be here tommorow

leemajors
10-31-2008, 11:01 AM
it should be here tommorow

they're shipping it USPS?

Evan
10-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Yep.

Not to mention that I'm used to the PS controllers (I owned PS1 and 2)

PS has never let me down even though they always seem to get off to a slow start.

Trainwreck2100
10-31-2008, 12:38 PM
they're shipping it USPS?

UPS, but the repair center is in Texas and i sent it monday and they had it tuesday

Cry Havoc
10-31-2008, 12:58 PM
PS has never let me down even though they always seem to get off to a slow start.

Tons of good games in the pipeline this next 3 months for the Ps3.

To be perfectly honest, it is a wonderful time to be a gamer, because there are no real clear advantages in any of the three consoles that outweigh the other. The Wii is ridiculously addictive, by far the best party system of the 3, and also the one your g/f is most likely to play with you, but the games are lacking so far. The 360 is unchallenged in the moment for the library of exclusive titles, and Gears 2 is about to add a lot to that. Great online play to boot. The Ps3 is arguably a complete home entertainment device with the fast blu-ray drive and excellent features (universal USB/HDMI ports!), but the games are utterly lacking to date. Still, I have 6 games (Virtua Fighter 5, Madden 09, 2k9, Motorstorm, Assassin's Creed, GTA IV, and all of them could be considered stellar except for maybe Madden.

All three consoles have a ton of a potential, but all three have their drawbacks as well. I can't wait to see Resistance 2 vs. Gears of War 2. Most people discount Resistance because it wasn't as good in the first go-'round, but forget that it earned many editor's choice awards as well. If R:2 is close to or as good as G2, it's going to make competition between the Ps3 and the 360 all the more heated.

Evan
10-31-2008, 01:38 PM
assassin's creed has been collecting dust. great game just haven't played it much.

Trainwreck2100
10-31-2008, 02:43 PM
the ending to that game was weak

Trainwreck2100
10-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Sorry, we are unable to display repair status for your service request number. Our system indicates the repair order is already closed. If you believe this is incorrect, please call us at 1-800-4MY-XBOX.

They closed my order but i haven't gotten the box, is that supposed to happen?

Xolotl
11-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Brutalis I saw that you mentioned you don't have a hard drive...Microsoft is offering a hard drive for I believe $29.99 for a 20 gig if you have the Arcade bundle. I'm not sure which you have but $30 for the hard drive is a good deal, especially since you'll need it for the fall update. Link is below if you want it

http://www.xboxstorageupgrade.com/hh/web/home/hhauthentication.jsp

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2008, 04:31 PM
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They sent me two 360s back
:danceclub:danceclub:jekka

Trainwreck2100
11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
nobody cares that i got a free 360?

balli
11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I do. Can I have one?

Cry Havoc
11-04-2008, 08:12 PM
nobody cares that i got a free 360?

How much you want for it? I have paypal. :P

lefty
11-04-2008, 08:45 PM
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They sent me two 360s back
:danceclub:danceclub:jekka

That's because they're both gonna die soon

Heath Ledger
11-04-2008, 09:27 PM
cue the scumbag known as bigsnatch

DannyT
11-04-2008, 10:36 PM
fuck you I sent a pm and he sold to me....but seriously I will buy it if you want

Heath Ledger
11-04-2008, 11:39 PM
how much for shipp to las vegas and will you take paypal? :) ring a bell?

Evan
11-04-2008, 11:52 PM
Sorry I sent him a pm before he even posted it. I future sniped it.

balli
11-05-2008, 01:32 AM
:rollin

ClingingMars
11-05-2008, 03:32 PM
had a 360 since Halo 3 came out, no red lights.

-Mars

Avitus1
11-06-2008, 01:27 AM
http://www.dabbledoo.com/ee/images/uploads/gamertell/red_ring_of_death_skull_200.jpg

http://www.michelbytes.com/michelbites/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/the-ring-of-death.jpg

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2007/09/rrod.jpg

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/picture/GuyzieMan/RedRingOfDeath.png

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3225/2346729310_7caf972881.jpg

http://gamezoneradio.com/wp-content/uploads/kens_jack-o-lantern2.JPG

http://www.xboxer.tv/red-ring-of-death-card.jpg

:lmao:lmao:lmao