PDA

View Full Version : Farewell to You

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Farewell to you, dear soon-to-be-former Spur who will be cut in order to make room for 67 year old Karl Malone. You had the temerity to join the Spurs sometime actually before the season began. You've been with the team as it has built the best record in the NBA. For all of your hard work you will not receive the opportunity to continue on this mission and revel in championship glory. Farewell and Godspeed.

Sec24Row7
02-09-2005, 05:24 PM
blah blah blah...

I didn't see anyone crying for Heal when his contract ran out last year...

SpursWoman
02-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I didn't see anyone crying for Heal when his contract ran out last year...

whottt did you say....? :cooldevil

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Tonight is the 50th game of the season and the Spurs are still waiting on Malone to make up his fucking mind. There was no reason why Malone couldn't have joined the team back in training camp.

Jimcs50
02-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Tonight is the 50th game of the season and the Spurs are still waiting on Malone to make up his fucking mind. There was no reason why Malone couldn't have joined the team back in training camp.

He was busy hunting little Mexican girls.

NeoConIV
02-09-2005, 05:32 PM
But isn't this really about securing the lineup that will keep us ahead of Phoenix? I mean aren't they .5 games back? Personally I think both squads get the job done, but I think a Spurs squad with Malone gives a little extra cushion.

I really think Pop and co. see Phoenix in the rearview mirror and are pretty rattled at the prospect of Phoenix getting homecourt through playoffs, and that Malone gives us a slightly better chance of keep Phoenix at bay.

I consider the fairness aspect of the original posters post, but in the NBA, what's fairness got to do with it?

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Farewell to you, dear soon-to-be-former Spur who will be cut in order to make room for 67 year old Karl Malone. You had the temerity to join the Spurs sometime actually before the season began. You've been with the team as it has built the best record in the NBA. For all of your hard work you will not receive the opportunity to continue on this mission and revel in championship glory. Farewell and Godspeed.

Yeah, cuz keeping Wilks or Mass is waaaaay more important then winning an NBA Title.

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 05:38 PM
This team can win a title as it is. From a basketball standpoint I am ambivalent about adding Malone, but it's kinda hard to pretend that he's not been quite inconsiderate to the team in how he has handled the situation.

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 05:40 PM
I think we have a better chance to win the title (against teams like Sac, Pho, Ind, Det, Mia) w/ Malone, then w/out.

Extra Stout
02-09-2005, 05:49 PM
But isn't this really about securing the lineup that will keep us ahead of Phoenix? I mean aren't they .5 games back? Personally I think both squads get the job done, but I think a Spurs squad with Malone gives a little extra cushion.

I really think Pop and co. see Phoenix in the rearview mirror and are pretty rattled at the prospect of Phoenix getting homecourt through playoffs, and that Malone gives us a slightly better chance of keep Phoenix at bay.

I consider the fairness aspect of the original posters post, but in the NBA, what's fairness got to do with it?I'm actually not especially worried about Phoenix passing the Spurs unless Duncan misses extended time. They look close in the standings, but when you take into account point differential, consistency, and pace, the Spurs project to 67 wins and the Suns to 63.

Even if the Suns somehow manage to defy the odds and finish #1, the Spurs are still a much better team than Phoenix and would be the favorite even without HCA.

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 05:55 PM
If I'm concerned about Phoenix, I'm not so sure I want to see a 77 year old Malone wheezing up and down the court trying to catch up.

IceColdBrewski
02-09-2005, 05:55 PM
p.s. Don't forget to clean out your locker. Karl is gonna need one.

Buh-bye.

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 05:57 PM
If I'm concerned about Phoenix, I'm not so sure I want to see a 77 year old Malone wheezing up and down the court trying to catch up.

Yeah cuz thats how he looked last year in the playoffs up until he got hurt. If hes healthy, he will play like he played last year. And he wont sign unless he is healthy. So I say, if hes healthy, sign him. Hell help our team.

Useruser666
02-09-2005, 06:05 PM

Damn he aged 10 years in this thread alone!

MannyIsGod
02-09-2005, 06:11 PM
:lmao @ chris

Anyhow, adding pure talent is the best way to a title. Ask Portland.

exstatic
02-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Damn he aged 10 years in this thread alone!
:lmao

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 06:14 PM

Or Detroit (sheed), NE (Dillion), Boston (Shilling)

NeoConIV
02-09-2005, 06:19 PM
:lmao @ chris

Is Portland really a good example? A team with literally ZERO chemistry since God knows when?
Spurs chemistry has practically been institutionalized. It's a machine. A machine that I believe frankly can absorb Malone. Malone, playing within this well heeled Spurs machine, will play better than his potential. He will play freaking possessed.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2005, 06:20 PM
A machine that didn't hold up too well last year. Malik Rose anyone? The chemistry on this team is much more fragile than people give it credit for.

MannyIsGod
02-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Or Detroit (sheed), NE (Dillion), Boston (Shilling)

Well 2 of those aren't even basketball, but Malone won't have an impact anything like any of those, and 2 of those were added in the offseason, not more than halfway through the season.

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 06:23 PM
You know, it would have been nice had 87 year old Karl Malone been with the team the entire season thusfar instead of jumping on board the Silver & Black Steamroller 50 or so games in.

Fuck him. The Spurs didn't need him to get this far. A few more games can't hurt.

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Yeah, if the Spurs need to get more physical up front they have Malik and Mass to go to.

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Even 97 year old Karl Malone is an upgrade over Sean Marks in the post.

NeoConIV
02-09-2005, 06:29 PM
The burning question now is, has Karl written out his will? He's gonna need it in this thread...Geezer's about to buy the farm

MannyIsGod
02-09-2005, 06:30 PM

NeoConIV
02-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Just off the AP Wire

Malone at 107, dies peacefully in his sleep.

RIP Karl Malone

Useruser666
02-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Karl Malone's age formula. Age = 41+26+(Sparky's post count in this thread * 10)

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Just off the AP Wire

Malone at 107, dies peacefully in his sleep.

RIP Karl Malone

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 06:38 PM
But in all seriousness, I still say, if hes healthy, he will only add to our bench (and our beatup slim frontcourt for that matter).

maxpower
02-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Karl Malone defined bandwagoning last year so much so I found this:

band·wag·on (bănd'wăg'ən) pronunciation
n.
1. An elaborately decorated wagon used to transport musicians in a parade.
2. Informal. A cause or party that attracts increasing numbers of adherents: young voters climbing aboard the party's bandwagon.
3. Informal. A current trend: “Even brand-name [drug] companies . . . have jumped on the generics bandwagon” (Beth Howard).

band'wag'on·ing n. http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/iy/96/22dac01a73c999116d1a373d625baa_sm.jpg

He might well redefine it this year. :elephant

NeoConIV
02-09-2005, 06:44 PM
I just want to stay ahead of Phoenix. If Pop and co. think Malone helps in that venture, then I'm for it. While we are better than Phoenix, they will remember that embarrassment we laid on them on their home floor. I have no doubt they learned from that game, emotionally as well as with the X's and O's.

If Phoenix slips past us, It's going to be a rock em sock nailbaiting playoff series...please God, let us get homecourt...

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 06:44 PM
He might well redefine it this year. :elephant

If it will help bring NBA Title #3 to SA, I say, heck yeah!

baseline bum
02-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Malone hasn't played any basketball whatsoever since the Finals (by his own admission). I hate Malone and all, but it at least would make some sense next season... but right now? He's old, he hasn't played, and all of a sudden he's going to be hitting jumpers, playing defense, and rebounding in playoff form with most likely less than 30 games under his belt? Fuck that. Nestrovich, Horry, Rose, and Massenburg have been getting the job done and stepping up when needed. Doing anything to tinker with this team is a colossal mistake whose downside dwarfs the upside.

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Well, if he signs w/ SA I dont think he is gonna come in and start playing 35 minutes a game from the very get-go(sp?). I think he will be on the bench and play a lil here and there and get into a rhythm for the first few games or so. I think he will really pay off in the playoffs. I would love to have a healthy, fresh, physical Malone comming off the bench in the post season!

NeoConIV
02-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Malone hasn't played any basketball whatsoever since the Finals (by his own admission). I hate Malone and all, but it at least would make some sense next season... but right now? He's old, he hasn't played, and all of a sudden he's going to be hitting jumpers, playing defense, and rebounding in playoff form with most likely less than 30 games under his belt? Fuck that. Nestrovich, Horry, Rose, and Massenburg have been getting the job done and stepping up when needed. Doing anything to tinker with this team is a colossal mistake whose downside dwarfs the upside.
And that is as solid an arguement as you can make. My question is why then is Pop going after him? What do they really think he will bring. What is it that they see? I mean, either they see something in Malone, or this is as you say, a colossal mistake.

NeoConIV
02-09-2005, 07:02 PM
Well, if he signs w/ SA I dont think he is gonna come in and start playing 35 minutes a game from the very get-go(sp?). I think he will be on the bench and play a lil here and there and get into a rhythm for the first few games or so. I think he will really pay off in the playoffs. I would love to have a healthy, fresh, physical Malone comming off the bench in the post season!
And there's as good an arguement as there is for getting Malone...

I'm so confused!!! :cry

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 07:07 PM
I think we are OK either way. The only real problem I see, is if hes healthy and signs w/ another team, such as MIA. But I dont think that will happen.

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 07:45 PM

Amen. It's too fucking late. If the Spurs need to get purely physical off the bench they can go to Mass. If they need power and speed there's Malik. And if they need speed and a 3 point threat then there's Horry.

Where's the need for Malone at this point?

Dre_7
02-09-2005, 07:47 PM
Cuz Rose and Mass are no where near as good as Malone. Horry is good, but hes not the physical defender that Malone is. I think Malone is a BIG upgrade over Mass.

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 07:51 PM
That's a Mass and a Rose who have been playing since last October if not earlier versus a 97 year old mofo who has been giving interviews, living it up in Newport Beach, hitting on "little Mexican girls", and driving cross country during that same time.

Fuck him. If he wanted it so bad he would've signed back in October.

Ghost Writer
02-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Is SPARKY also Marcus?

The thing that's irritating about the whole Malone thing is that I think he feels like the Spurs need him more than he actually needs the Spurs.

SA should win it all regardless.

This should be a no-brainer for Malone.

SPARKY
02-09-2005, 07:55 PM
It should've been a no-brainer for him back in October. Fuck the 107 year old bastid.

T Park
02-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Yes it is Ghost.

Ghost Writer
02-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Malone is acting like he's the former captain of the cheerleading team waiting to be asked to the party, when everyone is getting along fine without him.

Make the b1tch beg.

Mark in Austin
02-09-2005, 08:11 PM
I still say keep the title kryptonite away from this team.

I was against this from the moment speculation started this summer. If Malone had announced his intentions then, and been solidly a Spur from the start of the season - been in town and attended games and practices like the other injured reserve players, then it would at least show he was being respectful to this team and this city. I could respect that he was serious and ernest about really contributing to the team, and truely earning a ring.

Unless the Spurs are really concerned about him signing with a potential playoff opponent and are doing this to keep him from going someplace else, I think it is too late this year. If he wanted to sign over the summer for next season, and put in the time to do it right, I could at least respect it, even if I don't agree with it.