View Full Version : Gamestop = Evil

Slydragon
09-06-2008, 11:21 PM
9_D45dRcehg

Part 2

byJSoWl476I

DizzG.
09-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Great find I knew they sucked I got 2.00 dollars for my game last time.

Brutalis
09-07-2008, 11:57 AM
That second video was classic. :lmao

I was one of those dumb asses that sold my game to GameStop. I sold my NBA2k8 to them for a whopping 6 dollars. Bad move but I was so pissed at CP3 I wanted it gone and out of my face.

Dex
09-07-2008, 12:44 PM
Soooo, I guess I won't be taking those games into Game Stop.

E20
09-07-2008, 01:59 PM
I never shop at gamestop anyway, but the clips were too fast to absorb anything. But the one thing I got was the crack addict which was funny.

Can't buy crack with store credit lol

Spurminator
09-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I made it 4 minutes into part one. That's when he said "When GameStop finds that demand has increased for a game they decide to be dicks about it and raise the price."

It sounds like this guy has a problem with economics, not GS.

Steve Perry
09-07-2008, 02:36 PM
So your saying its ok to sell 50.00 dollar bags of ice to hurricane victims?

balli
09-07-2008, 02:50 PM
It sounds like this guy has a problem with economics, not GS.
It spunds to me like he has a problem with raw, unbridled, capitalist profit taking precedence over good, nay basic, customer service and morality. Me too.

Spurminator
09-07-2008, 03:01 PM
So your saying its ok to sell 50.00 dollar bags of ice to hurricane victims?

No I'm saying it's okay for a video game store to raise the price of a used game that is in high demand.

baseline bum
09-07-2008, 03:27 PM
LMAO@ used games going for $54.99 there when anyone can buy the game brand new anywhere for $60.

balli
09-07-2008, 03:33 PM
I've only bought new games at Gamestop and I don't ever trade anything in, so none of this has effected me per se, but fuck it, if they're going to be such money hungry bitches to the point they knowingly sell damaged merchandise, I'll take my business to Bestbuy next time.

baseline bum
09-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Best Buy isn't exactly a store with high morals either. I've had them try to push extended warranties on freaking games of all things there. I wonder if they'd try to push a service plan if I bought Gatorade at the register.

balli
09-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Well, I'd go local, but unlike bookstores there's not many local retailers around here who specialize in video gaming. I too am not a big fan of Bestbuy, but I figured it beat Wal-Mart and Gamestop.

Wow! I just checked and apparently Costco is in on the video game business. (They're cheaper too- new games for $53) I'm a big fan of Costco's business practices so I'll probably go there next time.

Evan
09-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Unless its something I'm dying for like Madden I always wait awhile and get it off ebay.Saves a lot of money if you can be patient.

mouse
09-07-2008, 07:46 PM
No I'm saying it's okay for a video game store to raise the price of a used game that is in high demand.

Even if your charging more then the game cost new?

They gave some poor kid 6.00 dollars 1 minute prior to selling it for 50.00. If you think it's just about economics then you need to watch the whole video the guy clearly exposes many evil things they do at Game Stop.

The videos show the same kid who takes back the 50.00 dollar game 60 seconds later gets offered 19.00 dollars (store credit) to buy some other over priced game.

If you call that smart business moves then lets set up a 3 card find the queen game in an alley somewhere by a school and lets take advantage of some kids lunch money.

If people want to pay 50.00 dollars for a used game that only cost 40.00 new? Then that's their dumb ass fault. but don't tell some kid his game is only worth 9.00 dollars when you sell it for 45.00 60 seconds after he leaves the shop. that is lying and if you let that slide then why not let everyone else lie?
my 2 cents

Spurminator
09-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Eh, they used to do the same thing at CD Warehouse. I'd take a stack of CDs over there and get about 50 cents to a dollar for each of them, then they'd sell them for $8.99. I don't think this is a new business model or anything. Game Stop is just paying what people will accept for their used games. It's not like these people are desperate or destitute... they just don't know any better (or they don't want to go to the trouble). But I'm all for spreading the word that there are better ways to sell your games.

My main beef was with the idea that GS should keep a game's price the same regardless of demand. If a used CD store was selling copies of the debut CD by some band called the Grasseaters in their $3 clearance bin, and the Grasseaters suddenly put out an album that went quadruple platinum, you'd expect the CD shop to raise the cost. I don't see why it should be any different for video games.

But I'll take your word for it on the rest of the video.

Big Worm
09-08-2008, 12:00 AM
Great Video I love to see the truth. I can't wait till one of Bush's disciples makes a video on 9/11

pat-na!

Dex
09-08-2008, 12:07 AM
It may seem pretty shady for Game Stop to flip the bid like that, but a business model is presented to make money first and foremost, and that's exactly what it's doing. Game Stop isn't there to be a Mecca for Gamers...it's there to line somebody's pockets.

Like people said, they aren't the first people to buy goods only to ridiculously mark them up and resell them (goods and retail business models are built around this concept), nor are they the first people to raise the price of something that is high in demand. It's economics, people.

I'll admit that I don't agree with the ethics behind it, but business ethics are a fickle thing. It's not like this is water or electricity or air they're marking up; it's video games. It's the perfect example of a luxury item. Nobody is forcing these people to accept six bucks for their used game, just to turn around and spend fifty. But people still line up to do it.

When I worked retail at Academy, we would take nearly everything back. Old shoes, used air mattresses, you name it. Even if you didn't have a receipt, you got store credit. Because that got people back in the store, and generally speaking, they would end up spending twice as much again as they got back.

Now the bit about not testing used games and consoles is pretty shitty. But all the games I've ever bought have worked fine, so it's hard for me to get too riled up over another internet video.