PDA

View Full Version : Spent 3 hours barbecuing and the meat tasted like hell....

Mr. Peabody
09-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Dammit. I bought some baby backs and chicken breast to barbecue while watching the Cowboys game today. I did the baby backs in my Weber Grill on low indirect heat. I made a baste mixture and basted them every 30 mins for three hours. The last 30 mins or so I started applying Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue Sauce. When I cut the ribs, they had a nice red smoke penetration layer.

I tried them and they tasted like shit. Same thing with the chicken. The chicken was moist and otherwise fine, it just didn't taste good. The problem was that I cooked the ribs for three hours (chicken 1 hour) using real mesquite wood, instead of my usual charcoal briquettes. The damn mesquite smoke flavor really overpowered the pork and chicken. It was pretty much inedible.

I used real mesquite last week on some fajitas and beef ribs and they came out phenomenal. I really like cooking with real wood as opposed to briquettes. I guess I need to use a different wood for lighter meats. Any suggestions? Also, where can I purchase some good wood for barbecuing here in San Antonio?

mouse
09-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Try drowning your meat in lime juice maybe you can save it. If you let the wood get real hot where its white? it won't smoke as much.
I use pecan when I cook out. there is a large pecan tree with many dead branches lying around. It doesn't over power the meat and gives the food a good taste.

Maybe you can wrap your ribs in foil so they don't get over smoked. Where do you live I would like to see first hand if the food is inedible or not. :smokin

Mr. Peabody
09-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I use pecan when I cook out. there is a large pecan tree with many dead branches lying around. It doesn't over power the meat and gives the food a good taste.

Maybe you can wrap your ribs in foil so they don't get over smoked. Where do you live I would like to see first hand if the food is inedible or not. :smokin

Pecan's a good idea. I just need to find a place to buy some. I get the mesquite from Culebra Meat Market. They sell it by the bundle.

balli
09-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Shitty. It sucks going from anticipation of delicious ribs to the prospect of canned raviolios.

Types of Barbecue Woods
Apple: Produces a sweet, fruity taste.Good mild wood which works well on poultry and ham.

Alder: What can I say about this barbecue wood... it is the wood that is greatly preferred for most any fish especially salmon.

Cherry: Similar to apple... sweet and usually very fruity depending on the age of the wood. Tends to be mild making it a good choice for poultry, fish, and ham.

Hickory: Probably the most well known woods and while lots of folk may disagree, it tends to be a bit to pungent for my own taste therefore great care must be taken so that it is not overused. Most feel it is excellent on ribs and most red meats. Can also be used very sparingly on cuts of poultry. (should be able to get this at the local hardware/department store)

Maple: Gives a light and sweet taste which best compliments poultry and ham.

Mesquite: My personal favorite barbecue wood however, great care must be taken or it can become overpowering. Best not used for larger cuts which require longer smoking times but I have been known to be quite successful at it by using it in tandem with another type of wood. (should be able to get this at the local hardware/department store)

Oak: Good choice for larger cuts which require longer smoking times. Produces a strong smoke flavor but usually not overpowering. Good wood for Brisket.

Pecan: Gives somewhat of a fruity flavor and burns cooler than most other barbecue woods. It is similar to Hickory and is best used on large cuts like brisket and pork roast but can also be used to compliment chops, fish and poultry.

bendmz
09-07-2008, 08:21 PM
shit dude, just come down to the west side and pick any pecan tree you want.... just tell the people who live there you gonna trim their tree for them at NO CHARGE and haul off the wood........lol:lol

mouse
09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Pecan's a good idea. I just need to find a place to buy some. I get the mesquite from Culebra Meat Market. They sell it by the bundle.

That wood is meant to be used in small amounts. Like you can used charcoal and stick just one of those logs in and still get the mesquite taste. You can find pecan anywhere you look if you live inside 410. Many residence would love someone to pick up some dead branches off the lawn. If you live by the culebra meat market your in one of my old stomping grounds.

Give me a call and we can go on a wood hunt you be surprised how many alleys and dump sites have good wood for cooking. Did you have the lid closed? Sometimes your meat can get over smoked.

What you need to do is cook the meat in the oven then stick in on the grill for 15 minutes.

Mr. Peabody
09-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Did you have the lid closed? Sometimes your meat can get over smoked.

What you need to do is cook the meat in the oven then stick in on the grill for 15 minutes.

Yeah, I always keep the lid closed unless I'm cooking burgers, dogs, or sausage.

I thought you were supposed to keep the lid closed.

Clandestino
09-07-2008, 08:51 PM
you guys must be white. mexicans will cook with nothing but mesquite.. and we like the taste!

Mr. Peabody
09-07-2008, 09:04 PM
you guys must be white. mexicans will cook with nothing but mesquite.. and we like the taste!

Ha.

Yeah, like I said, it worked for the fajitas and beef ribs, but wasn't good for pork and chicken.

Lance
09-07-2008, 09:41 PM

mesquite you find in the woods or on the ground is different than the wood you get in those bundles. The wood from the ground or off the tree is mild its from the branches, The wood from the stacks is mainly from the trunk of the tree its thick and very hard and you can make furniture out of it and it some times smells like 2x4s when you burn it.

KenMcCoy
09-07-2008, 10:37 PM

So true...I smell like smoke for 5 days everytime my brother in law barbeques.

mouse
09-07-2008, 10:58 PM
So true...I smell like smoke for 5 days everytime my brother in law barbeques.

Is that from the grill or his Bong? :smokin

AlamoSpursFan
09-07-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm guessing you used green mesquite.

And whatever you do, don't cook with nothing but hickory. THAT was a whole bunch of completely inedible meat...dog loved it, though.

AlamoSpursFan
09-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Also, try removing the bark. That's where wood gets a lot of it's strong flavor from.

travis2
09-08-2008, 06:12 AM
I've never had a problem with mesquite overpowering the meat. Hickory, yes...you have to be careful with that stuff.

mouse
09-08-2008, 08:09 AM
I let my girlfriend smoke my meat.

She used to work for Bill Millers her job was to make sure your cup of ice had at least 25% tea.

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 08:13 AM
I use oak on ribs and like using pecan on poultry.

It can all be cooked with mesquite too but I like to build the fire outside the pit and then shovel the hot coals into the firebox. As someone else mentioned, it sounds like you were burning bark/green wood in the firebox...

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Let me break it down for you. I smoke and grill regularly.

A couple of rules of thumb to start with.

1. Mesquite is ok with pork but Hickory with pork and mesquite with chicken.

2. I would not smoke those two items together unless you have an up right offset smoker with the pork first and the chicken further down.

Furthermore 2-3 hours for baby backs is way way too short of a cook time. Don't use wood for the entire cook time either. Both hickory and mesquite are strong woods so if you don't like a really strong smoke flavor you need to cut the dose with some oak. I however don't mind a strong smoke taste. With that said you only use wood for the first 2 hours of the cook time and you need to make sure its not too much wood. A thick yellow smoke will actually make the food taste bitter. You need a low rolling light whitish blue smoke.

Learn to use your flues. Get a cheap dial temp gauge from HEB. If you're not using a real true smoker you need to make sure and close the flues some and keep the temps under 300. Desired smoking temps with a traditional smoker sit around 200-235 degrees.

Baby backs should and will cook past 165 degrees interal temperature and at low temps this could take 4-6 hours to achieve. You need to cook low and slow because thats what breaks up the fatty tissue and collagen giving porks ribs that juicy fall off the bone effect. To test doneness grab the end of the rib with the tongs and lift it up. You want them to bend but not break.

Using lots of rub is fine even good at times but if you use a lot of sugars with a rub (brown sugar with pork) you need to really shake off the excess rub because sugar will burn and crisp up. It actually taste really good and thats why you see some briskets or pork butts that look like meteorites but if you use too much of it on ribs its going to taste like shit.

ClintSquint
09-08-2008, 08:23 AM
Slow cookin' is the key gentlemen.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Like mentioned above you may have had young wood. You need old growth woods and they need to be real dry.

Chunks and not chips either. Chips are fine for grilling fajitas or steaks...even fish. Use chunks on low smokes because they don't burn up real fast and ignite under low temps.

Make a bed of coals first. Then spread out four of five chunks of wood. I use a chimney starter and poor a load of hot coals over the dry bed of wood and charcoal. Make sure to put the temp gauge between the fire and meat on top of the grill so you know the temp closest to that side of the pit. This won't work if you don't have a pit big enough to smoke with an offset fire. Nothing kills pork quicker than being right on top of a fire unless its pork chops.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Regular charcoal kinda sucks too. I've officially converted over to lump charcoal. Less charcoal - hotter temps - a third of the ash to clean up.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Don't baste a sauce either. It can be done but has to be done in the last 20 minutes of the cook time unless its a vinegar based sauce with low sugars. I would only baste chicken that way not ribs. Sweet Baby Rays is really bad about burning at low temps. Sticky fingers is pretty good for a store bought baste but I like ribs to be ribs then dip them in the sauce.

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 08:49 AM
I agree with not basting with sauce while you are cooking. I will smoke my ribs with just a dry rub till they are done...then pull them off and stack them and cover with foil to rest for about 10 minutes.

I serve my ribs both ways...half the ribs get served with just the dry rub and the other half get cut into 3 rib chunks and basted with 2/3 spicy red mop sauce and 1/3 honey and then go on the grill for a quick caramelizing, pulling each piece off the grill right before the sugar burns. It's all good, but the basted ribs always run out first.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 08:51 AM
I agree with not basting with sauce while you are cooking. I will smoke my ribs with just a dry rub till they are done...then pull them off and stack them and cover with foil to rest for about 10 minutes.

I serve my ribs both ways...half the ribs get served with just the dry rub and the other half get cut into 3 rib chunks and basted with 2/3 spicy red mop sauce and 1/3 honey and then go on the grill for a quick caramelizing, pulling each piece off the grill right before the sugar burns. It's all good, but the basted ribs always run out first.
QFT

Last Comic Standing
09-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Wow B2B are you related to hank Hill? I am expecting you to sell me some propane on your next post. :smokin

Hank Hill.
09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I tell you what, that back to basic fella has it all wrong... propane is the ticket!

Hank Hill
09-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I tell you what, that back to basic fella has it all wrong... propane is the ticket!

Who the heck is this fake me?!?

That Fake Hank Hill aint right

angel_luv
09-08-2008, 10:17 AM

:lol

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
For anyone interested in custom pits check this guy out. Its not cheap but the attention to detail and craftsmanship are second to none. He's out of Houston

http://www.bbqpits.com/

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 12:56 PM
For anyone interested in custom pits check this guy out. Its not cheap but the attention to detail and craftsmanship are second to none. He's out of Houston

http://www.bbqpits.com/

With the steel price increases be prepared to get a 30 year mortgage if you aspire to buy a pit like those already made...I'm in the process of finishing up my "ultimate trailer pit" and have already got almost $3000 in it just in materials...

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Tell me about it. I'm moving at the turn of the year and I planned to put in my order for the pit I want.

January price 1,850.00

Sept. price 2,450

mrsmaalox
09-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Cosmic and B2B, when are you gonna have those things finished? I challenge you to a cook-off! You guys cook, I'll taste test everything and declare a winner. Start practicing now please.

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Cosmic and B2B, when are you gonna have those things finished? I challenge you to a cook-off! You guys cook, I'll taste test everything and declare a winner. Start practicing now please.

i hope to have mine finished in a few weeks...all I have left is to mount the fenders and the propane burners, a little trim out and paint.

I'm sure we can work out something on the taste testing...:toast

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 01:53 PM
I have to save money for awile. I'm not a richer. Must be nice to get a whim and execute a plan.

::jealousemoticon::

balli
09-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Tell me about it. I'm moving at the turn of the year and I planned to put in my order for the pit I want.

January price 1,850.00

Sept. price 2,450

Does a pit really make that big of a difference that it's worth thousands of dollars? I'm sure it does marginally better than my Weber, but my Weber still smokes/grills a damn good piece of meat. Nothing wrong with it if that's what floats your boat, but you must be a fucking BBQ connoisseur of unrivaled proportions to drop that much cash on a grill.

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
I have to save money for awile. I'm not a richer. Must be nice to get a whim and execute a plan.

::jealousemoticon::

Yeah, I guess it would be nice. I've been working on this thing off and on for 4 years...not exactly a whim.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Does a pit really make that big of a difference that it's worth thousands of dollars? I'm sure it does marginally better than my Weber, but my Weber still smokes/grills a damn good piece of meat. Nothing wrong with it if that's what floats your boat, but you must be a fucking BBQ connoisseur of unrivaled proportions to drop that much cash on a grill.

Yes and no.

I grill and smoke on a shitty $100.00 pit since I have a small apartment patio. Knowing what your doing makes all the difference in the world. You can make good Q on any shit pit if you know what your doing.

However.

1. A quality pit will last a lifetime and I cook out 4 times a week easy and entertain 10 or more a few times a month.

A.The firebox has a removable 20lb curved lipped ash pan. So easy to clean up. I hate scooping shit out.

B. Framed in steel angles for extra strength. No more trips to Academy for new grates

c. 5 coats of 1300 degree paint. No more repainting...or at least not often.

2. Temp control. Thick steel and quality flues with tight seals and good fit and finish requires me to add way less charcoal/wood to the hot box. A high quality smoker can maintain temps for hours...evenly too. Its important because you want the pit to heat evenly without hot spots.

3. No replacement for displacement. If we entertain I sometimes have to cook in sections. With a large pit I can easily do 2 pork butts, 4 baby back racks, 20lbs of chicken and still have my 20x20 hot box to grill at the last minute.

4. If its cold or wet I can still cook and maintain temps. A shitty pit could easily drop 50 degrees in bad weather. Non-issue with a quality pit.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah, I guess it would be nice. I've been working on this thing off and on for 4 years...not exactly a whim.
Post some pictures I'd like to see what you're putting together.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 02:09 PM
They make add a boxes/loaders for those pits too

6 hours of cook time without adding wood or charcoal. I like the shit out of that. This way I can go and sleep without having to wake up every 2.5 hours to tend the fire.

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 02:09 PM
OK, I'll post pics when I get it finished and painted..

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 02:11 PM
OK, I'll post pics when I get it finished and painted..I want build up pics dammit

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 02:13 PM
OK, I'll take some pics tomorrow.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM
I really want this one but will likely end up with the second one because its more affordable. I'm going to cement that into the ground. No need to be mobile.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/BishopRyan/24x48_combo.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/BishopRyan/20x60_center_firebox.jpg

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 02:18 PM
OK, I'll take some pics tomorrow.I won't forget you said this. No excuses.

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 02:41 PM
I won't forget you said this. No excuses.

OK, heres the only early pic I have...just the firebox and cook box is there now...for scale, the cookbox is right at 4 feet long...obviously it's upside down while the tandem running gear is being mounted...since then I've mounted the counterweights, smokebox, storage box, and outside firebox with adjustable grill, humidifier for smokebox, and griddle/tortilla warmer...

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1775/1021006editeden2.jpg

balli
09-08-2008, 02:43 PM
4. If its cold or wet I can still cook and maintain temps. A shitty pit could easily drop 50 degrees in bad weather. Non-issue with a quality pit.
That actually sounds worth it alone. I live off steak and in Salt Lake I have a bitch of a time keeping my grill hot enough in the winter. I haven't even attempted to smoke anything come wintertime, but it's nice to know that with a nice pit I could. I'm sorry I was a skeptic- :tu to nice pits.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-08-2008, 02:49 PM
I haven't had my meat smoked in quite a while. :(

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 02:57 PM
OK, heres the only early pic I have...just the firebox and cook box is there now...for scale, the cookbox is right at 4 feet long...obviously it's upside down while the tandem running gear is being mounted...since then I've mounted the counterweights, smokebox, storage box, and outside firebox with adjustable grill, humidifier for smokebox, and griddle/tortilla warmer...

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1775/1021006editeden2.jpg Looking good. How thick is the steel?

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 02:59 PM
1/4"

Lid weighs 150#

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah counter weights will be a must. I don't think 1/2'' for the fire box is totally necessary but I do steaks so frequently I'm considering going with the upgrade. Undecided if it will really matter or not for the extra 350.

Pretty much everything I've ever cooked on was 1/8 steel. Total garbage for retention.

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah counter weights will be a must. I don't think 1/2'' for the fire box is totally necessary but I do steaks so frequently I'm considering going with the upgrade. Undecided if it will really matter or not for the extra 350.

Pretty much everything I've ever cooked on was 1/8 steel. Total garbage for retention.

I built my firebox out of 1/4" plate but have holes in the bottom of the firebox and then have the bottom lined with 1" firebrick tiles to prevent burnout/rustout.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I built my firebox out of 1/4" plate but have holes in the bottom of the firebox and then have the bottom lined with 1" firebrick tiles to prevent burnout/rustout.Now thats fucking awesome.

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 03:13 PM
I built an outside, open top firebox right next to the pit firebox with a removable steak grill on that box...I can remove the steak grill and build a wood fire right next to the firebox...the front of that box flips down and I can shovel burned down coals from the open box to the closed box so I don't have to add green smoke to the firebox if I don't want to.

travis2
09-08-2008, 03:14 PM
B2B and CC bringing new meaning to the term "getting wood"...

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 03:28 PM
I built an outside, open top firebox right next to the pit firebox with a removable steak grill on that box...I can remove the steak grill and build a wood fire right next to the firebox...the front of that box flips down and I can shovel burned down coals from the open box to the closed box so I don't have to add green smoke to the firebox if I don't want to.Not very often to meet someone who seems to know their shit.

Do you compete?

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Not very often to meet someone who seems to know their shit.

Do you compete?

I've done a few small (40-60 team) charity cookoffs with a friend on his pit (We aways placed in the top 3 and won a couple) , plus done quite a few volunteer parties out at the rodeo for 400+. I'm really not planning to compete with this pit but just want to have a really versatile/tunable pit for cooking for groups under 100.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 03:39 PM
God damn. I need some grammar check today.

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Whats your specialty. Whats your strong area.

Pork ribs are it for me. I've got anything pork nailed down. Ribs, butts/shoulders, chops and any kind of riblet you could think of.

I'm weak in brisket or at least I feel week. Great taste great fatty side but my flat never turns out the way I want it to.

lebomb
09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
My strong area?

Brisket
Ribs
Chicken

101A
09-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I built an outside, open top firebox right next to the pit firebox with a removable steak grill on that box...I can remove the steak grill and build a wood fire right next to the firebox...the front of that box flips down and I can shovel burned down coals from the open box to the closed box so I don't have to add green smoke to the firebox if I don't want to.

Nice.

Brought one of these to Pennsylvania; most Yankees have NEVER seen anything like it; they like the meat, however. Most have never tasted brisket any way except corned!

http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/Tejas1628bbqhallcactus.jpg

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Whats your specialty. Whats your strong area.

Pork ribs are it for me. I've got anything pork nailed down. Ribs, butts/shoulders, chops and any kind of riblet you could think of.

I'm weak in brisket or at least I feel week. Great taste great fatty side but my flat never turns out the way I want it to.

I'm pretty good at ribs and the folks at the cook offs seem to like our briskets...my new pit is designed to be able to cook a whole hog up to 120# ( I bow hunt and shoot/cook wild hogs) or 8 briskets (16 if I double rack)...I'm trying to get away from having to finish a brisket in foil...This new pit will be a little different than anything you have ever seen...It's got a separate wood fired humidifier ( under the griddle/tortilla warmer) where I can add steam directly to the cook box to mix with the smoke...It's hard to explain but hopefully the pictures will make sense...basically the fire coming out of the firebox goes into the cook box (adding steam at that point) and is separated from the meat by 1/4" sloped drip pans that drain to the outside...the meat is right over the hot pans and drips/smokes on the pans...then the fire/smoke/steam hits the end wall (after I get the pit/smoker hot and drawing and close the bypass damper to the smoker) and rises and comes back over the meat to a vent under the grill on the firebox end (that also acts as the back rest for the racks) and then goes back to the smoker...

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Interesting build.

I have completely given up on foil. It just dehydrates the meat and leaves the brisket tasting like roast. I still sometimes foil spare ribs to speed up the cooking process if I'm in a crunch.

CosmicCowboy
09-08-2008, 04:18 PM
Interesting build.

I have completely given up on foil. It just dehydrates the meat and leaves the brisket tasting like roast. I still sometimes foil spare ribs to speed up the cooking process if I'm in a crunch.

Finishing with foil is all about the timing and temperature...If you wait till after you have smoked the brisket in the cook box for 4 - 6 hours (depending on conditions) and then double wrap and move to the smoker at a lower temp for another 4-6 hours you can end up with a juicy, tender brisket that still slices and has a good bite/feel...

Horn Tooter
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Dam!.... I have my work cut out for me in this topic!

YourConscience
09-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Not nearly as much as I do.

tlongII
09-08-2008, 09:48 PM
If I ever make it down to San Antonio I'm definitely going over to Cosmic Cowboy's for BBQ. Uninvited.

Mr. Peabody
09-08-2008, 11:14 PM
Damn! It's awesome that we have some people in the forum that know real barbecue (not just grillin').

If I wanted to just do one or two briskets on a weekend and maybe some ribs just for friends, what kind of setup do I need? Right now, I just have my Weber kettle. I was thinking of getting a pit with a smoke box like 101A posted. Is that what I should be looking at?

PhotoShop
09-09-2008, 12:48 AM
Spot the 8 differences.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/images/Tejas1628bbqhallcactus.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/spot.jpg

marini martini
09-09-2008, 12:53 AM

Works for me with brisket, sealed in foil w/liquid smoke, onions, japs & tomatoes. Over night at 200 degrees. Put on grill with Pappy's favorite BBQ sauce, and your friends will be your friends for life:toast That, or yo mamma, might put you back in her will.:lmao

Ghost Busters
09-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Works for me with brisket, sealed in foil w/liquid smoke, onions, japs & tomatoes. Over night at 200 degrees. Put on grill with Pappy's favorite BBQ sauce, and your friends will be your friends for life:toast That, or yo mamma, might put you back in her will.:lmao

PhotoShop
09-09-2008, 06:49 AM

I got a job at Tony Roma's here at river center mall they had just opened I was a server i made good tips.(job lasted a week) One day i went into the kitchen they messed up an order and i saw how they make the ribs.

They boil the ribs and then they dip them in a sauce called open pit and they stick them on the grill to get hose chaired broiled black lines on the meat.

The customers think the ribs were on the pit all day. :lmao

BacktoBasics
09-09-2008, 08:36 AM
parboiling is quick and cost effective. However its the sin of all that is BBQ.

Milton.
09-09-2008, 02:06 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/hog.gif

CosmicCowboy
09-09-2008, 04:26 PM
OK B2B...pit construction photos at your request...obviously not finished and pretty ugly at this stage...

right side view
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6979/1001080editedfu8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1001080editedfu8.jpg/1/w640.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img170/1001080editedfu8.jpg/1/)

The open firebox with adjustable grill and griddle/tortilla warmer
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/5159/1001081editedyr8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1001081editedyr8.jpg/1/w480.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img126/1001081editedyr8.jpg/1/)

back view with griddle flipped up and latched showing humidifier
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/3227/1001083ff7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1001083ff7.jpg/1/w640.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img98/1001083ff7.jpg/1/)

left side view
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/8124/1001084editedlg2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/1001084editedlg2.jpg/1/w640.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img117/1001084editedlg2.jpg/1/)

smoker and storage locker
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/4295/1001085editedbk9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1001085editedbk9.jpg/1/w480.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img258/1001085editedbk9.jpg/1/)

PhotoShop
09-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Looks like I have some work to do.

BacktoBasics
09-10-2008, 09:22 AM
That is fucking awesome. I love the idea of a tortilla warmer. Brilliant plan.

CosmicCowboy
09-10-2008, 09:45 AM
That is fucking awesome. I love the idea of a tortilla warmer. Brilliant plan.

Thanks. Now just got to get it finished and fired up. It has 4 different dampers built in and should be very tunable for temperature...still have to finish all the drains, finish trim out, add the work/prep surfaces/fold out table, add the propane rack and 2 stock pot burners, fenders, paint, etc.

BacktoBasics
09-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Are you going to do anything special for paint?

CosmicCowboy
09-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Are you going to do anything special for paint?

Just black high temp paint on all the hot surfaces. Might paint the fenders/trim a different color.

mrsmaalox
09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Okay Cosmic I just saw those photos and was reminded of something I saw when I was a kid, at Universal Studios I think: The War Wagon!! Now I can relate to the John Wayne reference in your avatar!

6I39-Fe7Rc4&feature=related

CosmicCowboy
09-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Okay Cosmic I just saw those photos and was reminded of something I saw when I was a kid, at Universal Studios I think: The War Wagon!! Now I can relate to the John Wayne reference in your avatar!

6I39-Fe7Rc4&feature=related

:lmao

*note to self...add ring mount for .50 cal before painting*

Milton.
09-10-2008, 05:10 PM
I was told cooking in the club was forbidden that is what I was told.........

Milton.
09-10-2008, 05:57 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/hog1.gif