PDA

View Full Version : Obama makes a brutal verbal slip

Cant_Be_Faded
09-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics

Christina Bellantoni (Contact)
Sunday, September 7, 2008

ST. LOUIS, Mo. - Sen. Barack Obama's foes seized Sunday upon a brief slip of the tongue, when the Democratic presidential nominee was outlining his Christianity but accidentally said, "my Muslim faith."

The three words -- immediately corrected -- were during an exchange with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "This Week," when he was trying to criticize the quiet smear campaign suggesting he is a Muslim.

But illustrating the difficulty of preventing false rumors about his faith from spreading, anti-Obama groups within one hour of the interview had sliced it out of context and were sending it around via email. They also were blogging about it.

Mr. Obama, who is a Christian and often proudly speaks about how his faith has influenced his public service, said he finds it "deeply offensive" that there are efforts "coming out of the Republican camp to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith."

The exchange came after Mr. Obama said that Republicans are attempting to scare voters by suggesting he is not Christian, which McCain campaign manager Rick Davis said was "cynical."

Asked about it on ABC, Mr. Obama said, "These guys love to throw a rock and hide their hand."

"The McCain campaign has never suggested you have Muslim connections," said Mr. Stephanopoulos, who repeatedly interrupted Mr. Obama during the interview.

"I don't think that when you look at what is being promulgated on Fox News, let's say, and Republican commentators who are closely allied to these folks," Mr Obama responded, and Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted: "But John McCain said that's wrong."

Mr. Obama noted that when Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin "was forced" to talk about her pregnant 17-year-old daughter, he issued a forceful statement to reporters that the line of inquiry was "off limits." But he said the McCain campaign tried to tie him to "liberal blogs that support Obama" and are "attacking Governor Palin."

"Let's not play games," he said. "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come."

Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted with, "Christian faith."

"My Christian faith," Mr. Obama said quickly. "Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested that I'm a Muslim. And I think that his campaign's upper echelons have not, either. What I think is fair to say is that, coming out of the Republican camp, there have been efforts to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith -- something which I find deeply offensive, and that has been going on for a pretty long time."

Asked to comment on the accidental misstatement illustrating the difficulty of the issue, Obama spokesman Bill Burton offered this comment: "I'm not surprised that the only outlet doing this story is The Washington Times."

Cant_Be_Faded
09-07-2008, 08:14 PM
That cost him like half a year worth of effort trying to convince people he's christian.

benefactor
09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
What I think is fair to say is that, coming out of the Republican camp, there have been efforts to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith -- something which I find deeply offensive, and that has been going on for a pretty long time.

Let's see...20 years of hanging with Jeremiah Wright, then he simply walks away? And he expects people to just say OK? I don't even like McCain and I am calling BS.....

efrem1
09-07-2008, 08:19 PM
AS with Palin's so-called affiliation with the AIP, I don't think this makes much difference with me. He is actually a United Church of Christ member which doesn't believe in much.

Clandestino
09-07-2008, 08:49 PM
jeremiah wright will soon be brought up again.... i cant wait

jochhejaam
09-07-2008, 08:54 PM
A mere freudian slip, nothing more

Wild Cobra
09-07-2008, 08:57 PM
AS with Palin's so-called affiliation with the AIP, I don't think this makes much difference with me. He is actually a United Church of Christ member which doesn't believe in much.
Except there is no evidence she was with the group. My uderstanding is that she can prove she has been registered as a Republican since the 80's.

Obama said it! We know politicians lie, especially those who have something to hide. This is a clear freudian slip (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freudian_slip) in my opinion.

He just admitted to the world he is Muslim. Not Christain.

Now I know where all those contributions are coming from that do not end in normal amounts. Contributions are normally even dollars, like $10.00, $25.00, $100.00, etc. Ever see the list of his contribution? There are so many amounts like $234.67, $498.26, etc. etc. That means they are drawn on overseas banks, and converted to dollars!

Wild Cobra
09-07-2008, 08:59 PM
A mere freudian slip, nothing more

Yes, but I'll bet he really is...

Mr. Peabody
09-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Except there is no evidence she was with the group. My uderstanding is that she can prove she has been registered as a Republican since the 80's.

No evidence other than the vice-president of the organization saying on video that she is a former member. No evidence other than the same vice-president saying she had to register as a republican to run for mayor and "play along to get along." No evidence other than the same vice-president encouraging people at the meeting to infiltrate the major parties to advance the party agenda. No evidence other than her husband being a registered member until 2002.

Nope, no evidence.

Mr. Peabody
09-07-2008, 09:03 PM
He just admitted to the world he is Muslim. Not Christain.

Is this like when McCain misspoke on Iran?

“Well, it’s common knowledge and has been reported in the media that Al Qaeda is going back into Iran and receiving training and are coming back into Iraq from Iran. That’s well known. And it’s unfortunate.”

Does this mean that McCain admitted to the world that he has no idea what the fuck he is talking about when it comes to the Middle East?

Wild Cobra
09-07-2008, 09:12 PM
No evidence other than the vice-president of the organization saying on video that she is a former member. No evidence other than the same vice-president saying she had to register as a republican to run for mayor and "play along to get along." No evidence other than the same vice-president encouraging people at the meeting to infiltrate the major parties to advance the party agenda. No evidence other than her husband being a registered member until 2002.

Nope, no evidence.
Heresay. Her voter registration says she was a republican since the 80's. That's before she ran for Mayor. Other people withing the organization deny she was a member. I saw an article someplace saying the person making the allegations admited to making a mistake.

Yonivore
09-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Is this like when McCain misspoke on Iran?
No.

Does this mean that McCain admitted to the world that he has no idea what the fuck he is talking about when it comes to the Middle East?
More likely he knows more than anyone is willing to admit or report -- once the narrative was set by the media.

9/11 Commission Finds Ties Between al-Qaeda and Iran (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,664967,00.html)

Al Qaeda in Iran (http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/001492.html)

Was McCain Right? (http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/0/0/0/0/112/0/1675.htm)

In this interview aired on Al-Arabiya TV on January 18, 2008, former Islamic Army in Iraq leader Abu ‘Azzam Al-Tamimi discussed why an American troop withdrawal from Iraq would spell disaster, making Iran more dangerous. During the interview, he said that despite the fact that al-Qaeda is Sunni and Iran Shiite, Iran has been intervening in every aspect of Iraq, including working with and helping al-Qaeda.

Wild Cobra
09-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Press release with corrections from the AIP Chairman, Lynette Clark (http://www.akip.org/090308.html):

Most recently I have pulled the entire record regarding the Alaskan Independence Partys' 1994 Convention file. I went through all the video, audio and paper records for that function. Something I should have done earlier before making the statement that Governor Palin was a member of the Alaskan Independence Party. For that I humbly apologize to Governor Palin, and, to both national and local press, and media.

I, foolishly, repeated and accepted as fact what an officer of this membership shared with myself, and husband Dexter Clark, over a year ago. My statement was incorrect regarding the Governor's membership. What was correct was that Todd Palin was a member, that Sarah as a candidate for Governor appeared at the AIP Convention in 2006, and sent a welcoming DVD to the membership at the 2008 AIP statewide convention. Those truths do not take away my fault in mis-speaking regarding her membership. For that I do take full responsibility. I hold Governor Palin in high regard, I believe she is far and away the best individual Alaska could have as Governor, and as a woman, mother and wife is one of the best examples walking!

Thank you and again, I apologize to all.

Lynette Clark, Chairman
Alaskan Independence Party
September 3, 2008

Palin's husband was member of third party (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hpC0ED5JB9qx1iUsd9xz-dBbwWBwD92UTA501):

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's husband, Todd, twice registered as a member of the Alaskan Independence Party, a fierce states' rights group that wants to turn all federal lands in Alaska back to the state. Sarah Palin herself was never a member of the party, according to state officials.

Todd Palin's party affiliation emerged Tuesday as the latest issue confronting the McCain campaign as it prepared to introduce Gov. Palin to the Republican National Convention.

The McCain campaign on Tuesday forcefully worked to tamp down questions about Sarah Palin's association with the Independence Party and with former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan that were being raised by Democrats, Internet bloggers and even Independence Party officials.

Voter registration records and past news reports, however, show Palin never registered as a member of the Independence Party, and backed Steve Forbes' presidential campaign in 2000, not Buchanan.

"Supporters of Barack Obama are engaged in an unfortunate and nasty smear campaign," McCain spokesman Brian Rogers said, specifically citing issues related to Palin's politics.

Gail Fenumiai, director of the Alaska Division of Elections, said Todd Palin twice registered under the Alaskan Independence Party — in 1995 and 2000. Some party leaders have advocated secession from the United States, though that is not a goal listed in the party's platform.

Voter registration records show Sarah Palin registered in May 1982 as a member of the Republican Party and has not changed her affiliation. Todd Palin has been registered undeclared since 2002, Fenumiai said.

Palin did address the Alaskan Independence Party's state convention by video earlier this year, welcoming the party to Fairbanks.

"Your party plays an important role in our state's politics," she said in the video, which is posted on the party's Web site. "I've always said that competition is so good, and that applies to political parties as well."

Obama spokesman Bill Burton objected to Rogers's accusation of a smear. He pointed to comments by Lynette Clark, the chairman of the AIP, who told ABC News that Palin and her husband, Todd, belonged to the party in 1994.

Obama advisers and surrogates have linked Palin to conservative former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan. An Associated Press story from Alaska, dated July 17, 1999, stated that Palin, then the mayor of the small town of Wasilla, was wearing a Buchanan button during a Buchanan visit to Alaska.

But in a letter to the Anchorage Daily News a week later, Palin wrote: "When presidential candidates visit our community, I am always happy to meet them. I'll even put on their button when handed one as a polite gesture of respect. ... The article may have left your readers with the perception that I am endorsing this candidate, as opposed to welcoming his visit to Wasilla."

A week after that, the Associated Press reported that Palin would serve as a co-chair of Forbes' campaign.

Buchanan himself told MSNBC's Chris Matthews last week that Palin "was a brigadier in 1996 as was her husband ... They were at a fundraiser for me, she's a terrific gal, she's a rebel reformer."

McCain spokesman Michael Goldfarb disputed Buchanan's claim, saying Palin supported Forbes in 1996 as well.

The Miami Herald this week quoted an e-mail from Obama Florida spokesman Mark Bubriski that stated: "Palin was a supporter of Pat Buchanan, a right-winger or as many Jews call him: a Nazi sympathizer."

Mr. Peabody
09-07-2008, 09:35 PM
More likely he knows more than anyone is willing to admit or report -- once the narrative was set by the media.

9/11 Commission Finds Ties Between al-Qaeda and Iran (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,664967,00.html)

Al Qaeda in Iran (http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/001492.html)

Was McCain Right? (http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/0/0/0/0/112/0/1675.htm)

In this interview aired on Al-Arabiya TV on January 18, 2008, former Islamic Army in Iraq leader Abu ‘Azzam Al-Tamimi discussed why an American troop withdrawal from Iraq would spell disaster, making Iran more dangerous. During the interview, he said that despite the fact that al-Qaeda is Sunni and Iran Shiite, Iran has been intervening in every aspect of Iraq, including working with and helping al-Qaeda.

Which is why he immediately corrected himself upon Lieberman's prompting...?:lol

Yonivore
09-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Which is why he immediately corrected himself upon Lieberman's prompting...?:lol
Fighting a media-supported liberal narrative is generally not worth the effort. There's evidence of al Qaeda and Iran cooperating. Why argue when the media and the left are going to stick their fingers in their ears and shout "NANANANANANANA, CAN'T HEAR YOU!"

Mr. Peabody
09-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Heresay. Her voter registration says she was a republican since the 80's. That's before she ran for Mayor. Other people withing the organization deny she was a member. I saw an article someplace saying the person making the allegations admited to making a mistake.

I think you meant "hearsay." Heresy is saying that the Iraq War is God's will.