PDA

View Full Version : any "boat" guys out there?

blizz
09-08-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm looking at buying a boat but the owner has said the following:

" The skeg and rear bench(rotten wood) need to be replaced. Also, there gear that attaches the starter to the engine will need to be replaced soon."

I'm not afraid of replacing the bench, it's more the other two that worry me as I have no idea what these fixes would entail nor the cost of the repairs. Any of you have any ideas?

BacktoBasics
09-08-2008, 10:42 AM
I would make some phone calls and find someone who does boat surveys. Then take those recommendation to a shop and get an estimate. Probably cost you a few hundred dollars but its worth it.

What is a Condition and Value Survey?

Simply put, a Condition and Value Survey (CVS) is a report which details the current condition of a boat and estimates its value.

The surveyor will complete a thorough visual inspection of the boat you intend to purchase. Some non-destructive testing, such as sounding the laminate with a hammer or testing with a moisture meter, may be included. If you want the bottom inspected on boats in the water you will need to arrange for haulout and pay for this before the survey appointment. The surveyor won't be able to take things apart (destructive testing) because you don't own the boat.

The survey report will cover the areas inspected and include recommendations regarding problem areas. It will also include a current market value estimate.?