PDA

View Full Version : Russian ships to visit Venezuela; naval exercises possible

Viva Las Espuelas
09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
(CNN) -- Russian ships will make a port of call in Venezuela later this year, and the two nations could hold joint naval exercises for the first time, both sides said.
The announcement comes amid heightened tensions between Russia and the United States over Moscow's conflict with the former Soviet republic of Georgia last month.
Russia denied any link between the two events, although Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has been a sharp critic of President Bush.
"This is a planned event unrelated to the current political situation and Caucasian developments," Russian Foreign Ministry spokesman Andrei Nesterenko said Monday. "The exercises will not be targeted against any third party."
The agreement on the Russian visit to Venezuelan ports was reached long before the conflict in the Caucasus broke out, he said.
But Nesterenko appeared to suggest Monday that Russia had proposed the joint naval maneuvers.
"If the Venezuelan side finds the proposal interesting and an agreement is reached, Russia and Venezuela may hold joint naval exercises in line with international practice," he said.
Wayne S. Smith of the Center for International Policy said it would be no surprise if the exercises go ahead.
"The Russians have complained about U.S. warships operating in the Black Sea, which is an area of intense interest to them. It would not be surprising if they returned the favor by having joint exercises in the Caribbean," said Smith, a 25-year foreign service veteran who ended his State Department career as chief of the U.S. Interest Section in Havana, Cuba.
"It's a way of saying: 'Two can play at this game. If you think you can send ships into the Black Sea without response, you are mistaken.' "
Russian ships operating in the Western Hemisphere would not necessarily be dangerous, according to Smith.
"The act itself is not. Having naval exercises? Fine, as long as both sides take it for what it is. It's not a threatening gesture; it's a message," he said.
Chavez said Sunday that Caracas was prepared to receive the Russians in late November or December, according Venezuela's Ministry of Communications.
But he indicated Venezuela (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Venezuela) might not be prepared for military exercises by then.
"We're only in the planning phase. We're not ready yet for the visit and the probable maneuvers to happen in September or October, or even November. So it could happen, if not at the end of November, then at the beginning of December," he said.
Nesterenko said the Russian flotilla will include "the heavy nuclear-propelled missile cruiser Pyotr Veliki and the large anti-submarine ship Admiral Chabanenko."
The announcement comes days after a U.S. Navy command ship, the USS Whitney, arrived in the Georgian (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Republic_of_Georgia) port town of Poti in what the United States called a humanitarian mission. The ship reached Poti on Friday.
Russia (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Russia) said that a military vessel being used in a relief mission raises concerns.
Russia has become a major supplier of arms to Venezuela since 2001. The two countries signed a series of deals worth $3 billion in 2006, including fighter aircraft, transport and attack helicopters, and assault rifles, according to Jane's, the defense intelligence publication.
In July, Chavez (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/Hugo_Chavez) visited Moscow for his first meeting with new Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/09/08/russia.venezuela/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

balli
09-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Cool.

boutons_
09-08-2008, 02:13 PM
The USA has inflammatorily ventured into Russia's sphere of influence, so Russia is returning the favor.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I wonder how Senor Peligro will handle this one. My guess is nothing.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-09-2008, 12:46 AM
senor peligro? you mean bush?

Ocotillo
09-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Palin will know what to do, afterall she lives right next to Russia.

smeagol
09-09-2008, 09:28 AM
senor peligro? you mean bush?

Mr Danger.

Get on with the program . . .

Viva Las Espuelas
09-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Mr Danger.

Get on with the program . . .i know what senor peligro translates to i was asking if he was referring to bush. thanks for contributing though

DarkReign
09-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Palin will know what to do, afterall she lives right next to Russia.

:lol

Viva Las Espuelas
09-09-2008, 12:13 PM
just like clinton did nothing right before he left office.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/images/ddg-67_cole-hole-close_usnavy01.jpg

not a damn thing!!!!!!!!!!

Bartleby
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
Six years, 364 days later and Bush still hasn't captured Bin Laden.

RandomGuy
09-09-2008, 12:30 PM
This happened, in October of 2000, in the last 3 months Clinton was in office.

American FBI agents sent to Yemen to investigate the bombing in the days following the blast worked in an extremely hostile environment. They were met at the airport by Yemen Special forces "each soldier pointing an AK-47 at the plane." Speakers in the Yemeni parliament "calling for jihad against America," were broadcast on local television each night. After some delay Yemenis produced a CCTV video from a harborside security camera, but with the crucial moment of the explosion deleted.[11] "There were so many perceived threats that the agents often slept in their clothes and with their weapons at their sides." At one point the hotel where the agents stayed "was surrounded with men in traditional dress, some in jeeps, all carrying guns." Finally the agents abandoned their hotel to stay at a Navy vessel in the Bay of Aden, but even that was not safe. After being granted "permission from the Yemeni government to fly back to shore," their helicopter "was painted by an SA-7 missile" and "had to take evasive maneuvers".[12]

What should he have done before the investigation was complete?

Hmmm?

---

Evidence of al-Qaeda's involvement was inconclusive for months after the attack. The staff of the 9-11 Commission found that al-Qaeda's direction of the bombing was under investigation but "increasingly clear" on November 11, 2000. It was an "unproven assumption" in late November. By December 21 the CIA had made a "preliminary judgment" that "al Qaeda appeared to have supported the attack," with no "definitive conclusion."[22]

Accounts thereafter are varied and somewhat contradictory.

Then-National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice told the Commission that when the administration took office on January 20, 2001, "We knew that there was speculation that the 2000 Cole attack was al Qaeda... We received, I think, on January 25th the same assessment [of al-Qaeda responsibility]. It was preliminary. It was not clear."

Clinton-bashing is soooo 8 years ago.

Get the fuck over it, you hack.

smeagol
09-09-2008, 02:00 PM
i know what senor peligro translates to i was asking if he was referring to bush.

Chavez referred to Bush as Mr Danger in many of his 4 hour sunday TV programs called "Alo Presidente."

thanks for contributing though

You're welcome. I'm here to help . . .

Cant_Be_Faded
09-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Good thing Russia's navy blows ass. Probably less formidable than Venezuelas.

cool hand
09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
to get some mangos.

Nbadan
09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
What if...Russia helped Iran and Syria aquire nuclear weapons?

Viva Las Espuelas
09-09-2008, 10:44 PM
Chavez referred to Bush as Mr Danger in many of his 4 hour sunday TV programs called "Alo Presidente."
sorry i really don't watch tv shows, especially 4 hour ones, of crazed dictators that hate our country.

You're welcome. I'm here to help . . .
de nalga.