PDA

View Full Version : Chips: Latest greatest inc laptops

Fabbs
09-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Intel Core Duo still plenty good? It's been a whole year or so since they've been out. :rolleyes

Quad Core, are they now available and are they much better then core duo?

AMD 64 in an HP laptop. Just as good as Intel?

Slydragon
09-08-2008, 01:25 PM
What do you plan to do with the laptop?

Mine is a Intel Core Duo and it runs everything I do fine, which is mostly burning movies and converting my hard drive camcorder movies to dvd. I don't play games on my laptop or pc.

So I think for me Quad Core would be overkill.

Fabbs
09-08-2008, 01:31 PM
burn movies, songs.
Also post short parts of games for play reviews.

Not a gamer, altho would like that option.

Quad Core is probably overkill for me, but if its the same price why not.
Also wanting to know about the AMD vs Intel. Is it just name and marketing hype or is Intel Core Duo really better then AMD 64? Found an HP laptop, great deal $1000 marked down to $500 but has AMD 64 chip.

Slydragon
09-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm not really into pc specs (mouse?) but when I got my new laptop I wanted Intel mostly because when I look online at the time most people would recommend it and some said they were about the same.

Here is something to read, I dunno how spot on it is but there are also chicks to look at so to me it's a good read. :lol

http://vancouvercomputers.info/policies.htm

My laptop cost me a bit over a 1000.00 and compared to my last pc (single core) It's super fast. On my last pc if I set a DVD to burn I had to let it finish or it would freeze or not burn right. Now I can have it running while still downloading and surfing the net with no slow down.

I gave my daughter my old pc and she always tells me she wants to trade me for my laptop because it's slow, She 6 and even notices the difference.

Dex
09-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Intel is definitely the leader in the industry and is only bound to expand as it has now cornered both the Mac and PC markets. Speaking from the Apple side, I know they are very excited about the possibilities that the Intel chipsets has made available.

Quad Cores are also available such as the Intel QC Xeon, but these are usually in high-end rigs and professional desktop models such as Mac Pros. In fact, you can max out a Mac Pro with two Quad-Core Xeons to be running a total of eight cores. Those machines are fucking fantastic, and could probably launch a rocket if you needed it to.

As far as AMD goes, they are probably right behind Intel in the processor market, and still produce solid products, though I don't think they will be able to keep up with Intel and their ceiling is probably a bit lower. I have an HP Portable with a 1.6GHz AMD64, and it seems to be all the processing power I need for my design and CS3.

As long as you pack your machine with plenty of RAM, I'd imagine most of the processors on the market these days are gonna be adequate for what your trying to do.

Slydragon
09-08-2008, 03:49 PM
My daughters Bday is next month and I think I will get her a laptop, I was looking at something like this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8892772&type=product&id=1211587727715

Not too much, she just wants to play her flash games mostly. I will stick some Hannah Montana stickers on the back of it because that's what she likes.

baseline bum
09-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Core Duo != Core 2 Duo

Fernando TD21
09-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Intel current line of processors are usually better than AMD's. But if you plan to run games at your laptop, you should know that the processor is not the most important thing. And a quad will probably be overkill to you.

leemajors
09-09-2008, 12:40 AM
if quad core is the same cost, go with quad core. it's a no brainer.