PDA

View Full Version : Ouch (Obama tries to attack Palin, she turns it around on him)

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-08-2008, 05:32 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0908/Obama_on_Palin_You_cant_just_reinvent_yourself.htm l

Well, how about Gov. Palin? She's you know, an up and comer from Alaska. She - they're starting to run an ad now saying she opposed the bridge to nowhere. Well now, let's get the facts clear here. When she was mayor, she hired a Washington lobbyist to get earmarks - pork barrel spending - all the things that John McCain says is bad, she lobbied to get! And got a whole lot of it. When it came to the bridge to nowhere, she was for it until everybody started raising a fuss about it and she started running for governor and then suddenly she was against it!

You remember that? For it before you were against it? I mean you can't just make stuff up. You can't just recreate yourself. You can't just reinvent yourself. The American people aren't stupid.

Palin response:

“Today our opponent brought up earmarks and frankly I was surprised that he raised the subject. I didn’t think he’d want to go there,” Palin said. “Our opponent has requested nearly one billion dollars in earmarks in just three years…about a million dollars for every working day. Just wait until President John McCain puts a stop to that.”

:lmao

Findog
09-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Oooh snap! She really told him!

boutons_
09-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Did HUSSEIN say he was a reformer with no history of earmarks? HUSSEIN was calling out Palin's claim that she is a reformer and against earmarks, while in fact she is an Earmark Queen. He pegged as a liar, which she does habitually.

boutons_
09-08-2008, 05:50 PM
She's been pegged as liar and hypocrite on the bridge, about which she has not told the truth once since VP candidate: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/08/fact-check-palin-and-the-_n_124912.html?view=print

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
She's been pegged as liar and hypocrite on the bridge, about which she has not told the truth once since VP candidate: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/08/fact-check-palin-and-the-_n_124912.html?view=print

Um, the truth about the Bridge to Nowhere is that it was packaged with a bridge from Wasila to Anchorage that *was* needed.

As the mayor of Wasila, she wanted that bridge for her people. And it was needed as it actually would connect those two cities.

She hasn't lied about it, you libtards just have to hold on to anything you can, no matter how stupid it is, to try and make her look bad.

boutons_
09-08-2008, 05:58 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/5/95713/15618/99/587721 yep, I see no coupling of the two bridges, and for a town of under 10K people, a bridge is "needed" that will cost even more than the Bridge to Nowhere?

ggoose25
09-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Um, the truth about the Bridge to Nowhere is that it was packaged with a bridge from Wasila to Anchorage that *was* needed.

As the mayor of Wasila, she wanted that bridge for her people. And it was needed as it actually would connect those two cities.

She hasn't lied about it, you libtards just have to hold on to anything you can, no matter how stupid it is, to try and make her look bad.

link that the bridges were connected?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-08-2008, 06:01 PM
So if McCain is going to put a stop to Obama-type earmarking, wouldn't he be putting a stop to Palin-type earmarking as well?

Findog
09-08-2008, 06:03 PM
So if McCain is going to put a stop to Obama-type earmarking, wouldn't he be putting a stop to Palin-type earmarking as well?

Hush! The conservative fagtards were having a moment.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-08-2008, 06:50 PM
link that the bridges were connected?

I'll have to see if I can find a link to that one, a client mentioned it at lunch last week when we were talking presidential politics.

Mr. Body
09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Earmark Queen of Alaska.

Someone's gonna figure out if she got more PORK per capita than any precinct in the United States. I bet she's pretty close.

Earmark Palin: WINNA!

Gino
09-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Earmark Queen of Alaska.

Someone's gonna figure out if she got more PORK per capita than any precinct in the United States. I bet she's pretty close.

Earmark Palin: WINNA!

This isn't going to get the Dems anywhere. She and McCain say they are against earmarks and people believe them.

spurster
09-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Don't look at that man behind the mirror.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/the_budget_according_to_mccain_part_i.html

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
09-08-2008, 08:47 PM
The "for before I was against it" can go against anyone, whether good or bad, because of the system itself; it's unavoidable. So Obama to bash Palin for it, is really a 5 buck talking point. So whatever.

From what I've read up on Palin, it seemed like when she started, she was still working within the current system of Alaskan politics and she used those earmarks to benefit the city, where the demand for some public facilities were never delivered by the previous mayor. At least she didn't use the money to benefit herself but help develop the city. To her credit, she corrected the approach and wised up on the abuses of earmark spending and eventually sought reform, and cut exorbitant use of federal money and balanced the budget of the state.

I will say McCain's the only one who has the most credibility on the issue when it comes to wasteful using of earmarks. But Palin's actions to curb earmark abuses within her state and seek alternative revenue for the budget spending later on in her career for the people of Alaska, is commendable.
Obama's earmark spending is more blatant, since his were for his self interest (especially since he used some to benefit himself and get his wife a raise.) Plus , I've been trying to find where Obama's reforms for Illinois and Chicago were, and how he helped the people in Illinois but haven't found anything worth noting.
This guy's had his foot out of the door for every office he's run, he never really helped with actual "bottom-up" politics because he's been too busy selling that image for 2 1/2 years on the campaign trail.

As an independent I used to not mind Obama when the campaign started, I thought he was the preferable Democratic candidate because he had a refreshing take and a similar platform to Hillaries, but the more I look into him and his proposals (and past achievements--or lack thereof), the more he comes off a vapid, power hungry , clueless intellectual, with impractical naive solutions. He desperately seeks approval by telling people what they want to hear to the point where it gets exhausting.
The dems were better off with Hillary who is more to the center (not as looney-lefty) and for all her phoniness she actually had core beliefs to at least run another capable Clinton Administration.
Obama keep adjusting her stance on the issue every single time he gets called out for his flawed proposal or controversial remark. You don't know what you're getting with this clown.

It's hard to know what his promises are when he keep giving the opposition and critics credence by backpeddling on his position to appease them (his statement on taxes this week; his "paygrade" revision). He's a bullshit artist.

I have big doubts he's going to stand-toe to toe and reform the corrupt people abusing the system. He'll be too busy trying to be liked by them before that happens.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 08:49 PM
That the bridges were connected is news to me, I would like to see a link to that as well.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 08:50 PM
One wonders: If Governor Palin didn't stop the bridge, who did? Ted Stevens? Or is the bridge now under construction?

Until John McCain selected her as his running mate, it never occurred to anyone to deny that Palin stopped the bridge. That's certainly what the Anchorage Daily News (http://www.adn.com/sarah-palin/background/story/517382.html) reported on February 8, 2008:

Let's count how many things Gov. Sarah Palin's predecessor did that she's undone.

It's quite a list.

The state-owned jet: Sold.

The proposed Gravina Island "bridge to nowhere" and a pioneer road to Juneau: Won't be funded.
And again on March 12, 2008 (http://www.adn.com/front/story/343508.html):

Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens is aggravated about what he sees as Gov. Sarah Palin's antagonism toward the earmarks he uses to steer federal money to the state. ... A common target for earmark snipers is the so-called "bridge to nowhere" plugged by Alaska Rep. Don Young into the five-year transportation bill in 2005. Congress stripped the earmarks directing the spending but let the state keep the money to use on the bridge if it wanted.
Palin ruffled feathers when she announced - without giving the delegation advance notice - that the state was killing the Ketchikan bridge to Gravina Island, site of the airport and a few dozen residents.
I don't know how it could be any clearer: as the latest McCain ad says, Palin killed the bridge.

McCain Ad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVIaqCjvLpU)

Indeed, the Alaska Democrats themselves say (http://www.retireted.com/teds-connections/earmarks/), on a web site attacking Senator Ted Stevens:

Gov. Palin recently cancelled the Gravina Island Bridge near Ketchikan that would have connected the Alaska mainland with Gravina Island (population: 50).

It is frankly ridiculous to deny that Palin killed the bridge, as the ad says. If the Democrats want to attack some other aspect of her record, fine. If they want to say that she (like all state officials) was generally happy to accept federal money when it was offered, fine. But to say that the simple statement that she killed the bridge is a "lie" is false and disingenuous.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 08:51 PM
The degree to which yonivore is full of misinterpreted shit increases linearly with the length of his posts.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
09-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Don't look at that man behind the mirror.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/the_budget_according_to_mccain_part_i.html
yeah, McCain is still a standard politician. He's been using a blanket statement about earmarks for years, because it frames well, with his reformer "maverick" image.

He has his moments where he doesn't live up to what he says he is, but the earmark campaign talking point of his isn't really that big of a deal because pork-barrel spending and political perks do need to be reformed.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 08:58 PM
The degree to which yonivore is full of misinterpreted shit increases linearly with the length of his posts.
Nice rebuttal to linked references CBF.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
So she didn't support the earmark at first or she did?
So she still spent a shitload of money or she didnt?

Your effort in this thread is like that of a really shitty lawyer.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:09 PM
So she didn't support the earmark at first or she did?
So she still spent a shitload of money or she didnt?

Your effort in this thread is like that of a really shitty lawyer.

Who killed the bridge?

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:12 PM

Why didn't you just type in "only Palin's earmark proposals were truly needed and asked for by her constituency, and all others in the history of mankind were unnecessary" it would have saved you time.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Who killed the bridge?

That wasn't the question, its funny because your links say she supported it at first. Yet you yourself have not said that..hmm..

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:17 PM
You guys are all full of shit. She supported the thing while she ran for governor. Fact. She took every bit of the money and used it in her state. Fact. I challenge any of you far right retards to explain to me how that differs from any other earmark and spending spree done by any other politician. AHF basically owned himself in that quote of his. Yonivore is incapable of hashing out a coherent argument.
So she did not build the bridge, noone said she did, but she is full of shit when she says she's not about all that spending, because she still spent a fuck ton of money.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:23 PM
That wasn't the question, its funny because your links say she supported it at first. Yet you yourself have not said that..hmm..
I'm sorry, I don't ever recall saying she never supported the bridge.

I'm saying the campaign isn't lying when it says she killed the bridge. Which, by the way, is what all the carping is about.

So, did she, or did she not, kill the bridge to nowhere. And, if she didn't. Who did?

MannyIsGod
09-08-2008, 09:24 PM
You guys are all full of shit. She supported the thing while she ran for governor. Fact. She took every bit of the money and used it in her state. Fact. I challenge any of you far right retards to explain to me how that differs from any other earmark and spending spree done by any other politician. AHF basically owned himself in that quote of his. Yonivore is incapable of hashing out a coherent argument.
So she did not build the bridge, noone said she did, but she is full of shit when she says she's not about all that spending, because she still spent a fuck ton of money.

Pwnt, bitches.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:25 PM
You're changing the narrative.

People are calling McCain a liar because he claims -- truthfully -- that Palin killed the bridge to nowhere.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Actually when I read the original post, Obama says that Palin originally supported it, then did not. But maybe I haven't eaten enough paint chips or sucked enough cock to read articles the way you do.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Actually when I read the original post, Obama says that Palin originally supported it, then did not. But maybe I haven't eaten enough paint chips or sucked enough cock to read articles the way you do.
Has she claimed otherwise?

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:26 PM

People are calling McCain a liar because he claims -- truthfully -- that Palin killed the bridge to nowhere.

See, I thought all this time that the information is right there in front of our faces that she supported it first, then stopped supporting it. And I thought that liberal bloggers were jacking off to Palin being hypocritical about spending money.

Again, must be the paint chips/dicks in the face thing.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:28 PM
See, I thought all this time that the information is right there in front of our faces that she supported it first, then stopped supporting it. And I thought that liberal bloggers were jacking off to Palin being hypocritical about spending money.

Are you trying to make a point?

ggoose25
09-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Long before Palin killed the project, Congress washed its hands of the bridge. In the transportation spending bill that included money for the Ketchikan bridge, Congress deleted the wording that would have directed money for the project, though it left the money in place so Alaska officials could decide which transportation projects to spend it on. As a result, Alaska diverted much of the $223-million from the federal government to other projects, leaving the Ketchikan-Gravina bridge project woefully underfunded, and with no prospect of additional federal funding. That was the point at which Palin formally killed the bridge project.

Several of our readers wrote to us saying we were too generous with our ruling, that Palin had flip-flopped on the issue, at one time supporting the bridge before later opposing it.
While running for governor in September 2006, Palin assured the Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce she was all for the bridge.

“The money that’s been appropriated for the project, it should remain available for a link, an access process as we continue to evaluate the scope and just how best to just get this done,” Palin said then, according to a story in the Ketchikan Daily News. “This link is a commitment to help Ketchikan expand its access, to help this community prosper.”

“I think we’re going to make a good team as we progress that bridge project,” she told the audience.

And in a written questionnaire for the Anchorage Daily News the following month, October of 2006, Palin was asked directly, “Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?”

Her answer: “Yes. I would like to see Alaska’s infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now — while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist.”

Palin’s position began to shift once she became governor, however.

Palin took over as governor in December 2006 and in February 2007 her proposed state budget didn't include state funding for the Ketchikan bridge. A spokesman noted that Palin's proposed capital budget focused on projects that could draw federal money, too. At that point, according to the Ketchikan Daily News, the cost of the bridge had risen $67-million and former Gov. Frank Murkowski had recommended putting $195-million in the state budget for Ketchikan's bridge.

In defending the change of position this week, Palin campaign spokeswoman Maria Comella said Palin “acted like a responsible and effective executive. After taking office and examining the project closely, she consistently opposed funding the ‘Bridge to Nowhere’ and ultimately canceled the wasteful project.”

It’s true that on Sept. 21, 2007, Palin officially killed the project.

“Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport, but the $398-million bridge is not the answer,” Palin said in a prepared statement. “Despite the work of our congressional delegation, we are about $329-million short of full funding for the bridge project, and it’s clear that Congress has little interest in spending any more money on a bridge between Ketchikan and Gravina Island.”

But she wasn’t sounding like someone who opposed the project as wasteful either.

“Much of the public’s attitude toward Alaska bridges is based on inaccurate portrayals of the projects here,” Palin said. “But we need to focus on what we can do, rather than fight over what has happened.”

So the question here is whether Palin flipped positions on the project, or conceded to the political reality that opposition had become too strong against it. Without further support from Congress, Alaska would have had to shoulder most of the cost itself.

Palin’s quotes about the project this week seem to suggest she opposed the project.

“I’ve championed reform to end the abuses of earmarked spending by Congress,” Palin said at a joint appearance with McCain in Washington, Pa., on Aug. 30. “And I did tell Congress, thanks but no thanks for that bridge to nowhere. If our state wanted to build a bridge, we were going to build it ourselves.”

McCain said Palin has “stopped government from wasting taxpayers’ money on things they don’t want or need. And when we in Congress decided to build a bridge in Alaska to nowhere for $233-million of yours, she said, we don’t want it. If we need it, we’ll build our own in Alaska. She’s the one that stood up to them.”

Nevermind that Alaska didn't give the money back. It spent the money on other transportation projects.

The context of Palin’s and McCain’s recent statements suggest Palin flagged the so-called Bridge to Nowhere project as wasteful spending. But that’s not the tune she was singing when she was running for governor, particularly not when she was standing before the Ketchikan Chamber of Commerce asking for their vote. And so, we rate Palin’s position a Full Flop.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/680/
---------

So it seems she only killed it, after Congress had already killed it.

MannyIsGod
09-08-2008, 09:29 PM

LOL CBF is fired up.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Yonivore seriously take 2 minutes and read this thread, this very thread we are in together, from start to finish, not finish to start.

Where did this carping about her not killing the bridge start? You started it you fucking dumbass. Noone was talking about that before you. Talk about changing the narrative.

jochhejaam
09-08-2008, 09:31 PM
"Why do you notice the splinter in your brother's eye, but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove that splinter from your eye,' while the wooden beam is in your eye? You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first; then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother's eye." (Matthew)

Obama should pay more attention to what his Christian faith teaches.

That certainly should shut him up about earmarks.

pwned

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:32 PM
Yonivore seriously take 2 minutes and read this thread, this very thread we are in together, from start to finish, not finish to start.

Where did this carping about her not killing the bridge start? You started it you fucking dumbass. Noone was talking about that before you. Talk about changing the narrative.
Okay CBF, the conversation about this topic is not limited to this thread. There is a whole narrative being built around the McCain ad today that says he lied. I'm sorry if you can't think beyond Spurstalk.

Frankly the thread-starting post doesn't really start a conversation about anything...it merely quotes two candidates. Frankly, Palin took Obama to school with her response.

Hey, she has an 80% approval rating in Alaska. What does Obama and his colleagues enjoy? Something South of 20%, if I'm not mistaken.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Okay CBF, the conversation about this topic is not limited to this thread. There is a whole narrative being built around the McCain ad today that says he lied. I'm sorry if you can't think beyond Spurstalk.

Frankly the thread-starting post doesn't really start a conversation about anything...it merely quotes two candidates. Frankly, Palin took Obama to school with her response.
Damn, here I was posting in a thread, thinking my posts applied to what had been said and established in this thread, you know, kind of like a conversation. And here I thought that in a conversation, people add new things to build on. Yeah, so when you add new things, its legit, yet when I scoff the ever living shit out of you for not seeing the forest for the trees, I'm changing the narrative If people are saying Palin did not change her mind about the earmark, then they are dumbasses.

Hey, she has an 80% approval rating in Alaska. What does Obama and his colleagues enjoy? Something South of 20%, if I'm not mistaken.

Did she spend the money or not?

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Okay, took your advice

Well, how about Gov. Palin? She's you know, an up and comer from Alaska. She - they're starting to run an ad now saying she opposed the bridge to nowhere.
Well, that's not what the ad says...the ad says she killed the bridge to nowhere, which she did.

Cant_Be_Faded
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/bookman/entries/2008/09/04/the_palin_record_on_earmarks.html

Here’s a pretty comprehensive rundown of Palin’s documented record on requesting earmarks. In her second term as Wasilla mayor, she got a total of $27 million in federal earmarks for a town of fewer than 9,000 people.

As governor, she requested $254 million in earmarks last year, and $197 million in earmarks this year. As the Seattle Times story notes, that’s more per capita than requested by any other state in the union:

“Palin’s requests to Congress came at a time of huge federal deficits, while Alaska state revenue was soaring due to rising oil prices and a major tax increase on oil production that Palin signed into law in late 2007.

As a result, Alaska this year was in such a money-flushed condition — with no state income tax or sales tax and total state revenues of $10 billion, double the previous year’s — that Palin gained legislative approval for $1,200 cash payments to every Alaskan.”

This, from the candidate who said Wednesday night that she “championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress.”

Am I allowed to post this? Or is this changing the narrative?

She's a hypocrite yonivore, thats what obama was talking about, thats what the real issue is about. Just admit it and maybe you wont go straight to hell upon death.

ggoose25
She killed it, only when there was no possibility of it being funded.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
No, I'm not. Did McCain run an ad that said she opposed the bridge to nowhere or that she killed the bridge to nowhere?

Did she spend the money or not?
Well, I don't see that as the question being raised here.

I see the question as, "Is Obama fucked because he has resorted to distorting a McCain ad into a strawman that Can't Be Faded has picked up and run with."

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
No, I'm not. Did McCain run an ad that said she opposed the bridge to nowhere or that she killed the bridge to nowhere?

Well, I don't see that as the question being raised here.

I see the question as, "Is Obama fucked because he has resorted to distorting a McCain ad into a strawman that Can't Be Faded has picked up and run with."

So if the issue is now about distorting facts, am I allowed to point out them distorting Obama's views during the RNC speeches? Or is that changing the narrative?

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/bookman/entries/2008/09/04/the_palin_record_on_earmarks.html

Am I allowed to post this? Or is this changing the narrative?

She's a hypocrite yonivore, thats what obama was talking about, thats what the real issue is about. Just admit it and maybe you wont go straight to hell upon death.
No, by all means, change the narrative.

How, by the way, does a city mayor or Governor request earmarks in federal legislation? Congress (or their lobbyists) write legislation and earmarks.

And you guys still need to learn the meaning of the word hypocrite.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:43 PM
I guess Mr. Dictionary needs to come in andsave the day.

ROFL. The quote of mine you just quoted says in the article that she requested the earmarks as governor.

ggoose25
09-08-2008, 09:43 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article_print/SB122090791901411709.html

Record Contradicts Palin's 'Bridge' Claims

The Bridge to Nowhere argument isn't going much of anywhere.

Despite significant evidence to the contrary, the McCain campaign continues to assert that Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin told the federal government "thanks but no thanks" to the now-famous bridge to an island in her home state.

The McCain campaign released a television advertisement1 Monday morning titled "Original Mavericks." The narrator of the 30-second spot boasts about the pair: "He fights pork-barrel spending. She stopped the Bridge to Nowhere."

Gov. Palin, who John McCain named as his running mate less than two weeks ago, quickly adopted a stump line bragging about her opposition to the pork-barrel project Sen. McCain routinely decries.

Republican presidential candidate John McCain (right) and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, at a campaign rally in Lee's Summit, Mo.

But Gov. Palin's claim comes with a serious caveat. She endorsed the multimillion dollar project during her gubernatorial race in 2006. And while she did take part in stopping the project after it became a national scandal, she did not return the federal money. She just allocated it elsewhere.

"We need to come to the defense of Southeast Alaska when proposals are on the table like the bridge," Gov. Palin said in August 2006, according to the local newspaper, "and not allow the spinmeisters to turn this project or any other into something that's so negative." The bridge would have linked Ketchikan to the airport on Gravina Island. Travelers from Ketchikan (pop. 7,500) now rely on ferries.

A year ago, the governor issued a press release that the money for the project was being "redirected."

"Ketchikan desires a better way to reach the airport, but the $398 million bridge is not the answer," she said. "Despite the work of our congressional delegation, we are about $329 million short of full funding for the bridge project, and it's clear that Congress has little interest in spending any more money on a bridge between Ketchikan and Gravina Island. Much of the public's attitude toward Alaska bridges is based on inaccurate portrayals of the projects here. But we need to focus on what we can do, rather than fight over what has happened."

On Monday in Missouri, Gov. Palin put it this way: "I told Congress thanks but no thanks for that bridge to nowhere. If the state wanted to build a bridge we would built it ourselves."

Senior adviser Mark Salter pointed to her role in killing the project while in office and allocating the money elsewhere. When pressed further that it was actually Congress that stopped the earmark, Mr. Salter said: "She stopped it, too. She did her part." Mr. Salter added that he welcomed a fight over earmarks with the Obama campaign.

Democratic candidate Barack Obama used a town-hall style event in Flint, Mich., to attack Gov. Palin over the "Bridge to Nowhere" debate. He accused the vice presidential nominee of lobbying for the bridge and then hiding her initial position when she ran for governor and the project became unpopular.

"You can't just make stuff up. You can't just recreate yourself. The American people aren't that stupid," he said. It's like "being for it before you were against it," Sen. Obama said, a reference to a damaging statement John Kerry made in 2004.

Why is this one issue such a big deal? Sen. McCain's anti-earmarks stance has been paramount to his campaign. The Arizona senator has blamed everything from the Minneapolis bridge collapse to Hurricane Katrina on Congress's willingness to stuff bills full of pork barrel spending.

As such, Gov. Palin's image as a "reformer" is part of the storyline the McCain campaign needs to complement the top of its ticket. Her quip about passing on the bridge and "building it ourselves" has been a staple of her stump.

But she's drawn considerable fire as result. Sen. Obama's campaign released an advertisement pointing out her original support of the bridge. And on Monday, an Obama staffer emailed a photo of Gov. Palin holding up a T-shirt that was made shortly after the bridge caught national attention. It reads "NOWHERE ALASKA" and "99901," the zip code of Ketchikan.

The McCain campaign jumped back with spokesman Brian Rogers calling the attacks "hysterical."

"The only people 'lying' about spending are the Obama campaign. The only explanation for their hysterical attacks is that they're afraid that when John McCain and Sarah Palin are in the White House, Barack Obama's nearly $1 billion in earmark spending will stop dead in its tracks," Mr. Rogers said.

At a rally today, Sen. McCain again asserted that Sen. Obama has requested nearly a billion in earmarks. In fact, the Illinois senator requested $311 million last year, according to the Associated Press, and none this year. In comparison, Gov. Palin has requested $750 million in her two years as governor -- which the AP says is the largest per-capita request in the nation.

Mr. Body
09-08-2008, 09:44 PM
She killed it, only when there was no possibility of it being funded.

But kept the money.

Am I too late to say that?

Yonivore
So if the issue is now about distorting facts, am I allowed to point out them distorting Obama's views during the RNC speeches? Or is that changing the narrative?
It's kind of off topic but, go ahead since you seem to be lost in the whole earmarked bridge to nowhere debate.

Cant_Be_Faded
Now, let us all guzzle about ten loads of elephant jizz and maybe that article will say "Obama's earmarks = bad, Palin's earmarks = good"

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 09:45 PM
:lmao :lmao

way to edit your post bitch
I don't think I've ever owned the shit out of you like this before.
You are losing your edge

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:45 PM
But kept the money.

Am I too late to say that?
So? Is there any claim that she didn't keep the money?

Maybe she and McCain disagree on earmarks...maybe she's had a change of heart on earmarks...but, either way, it doesn't matter. The McCain message is no earmarks. She's on board. What are you going to do?

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:47 PM

You are losing your edge
You still haven't. I added governor because I missed it in the other post and while in there wanted to clarify who, exactly, can earmark federal legislation. And, it's neither a city mayor or Governor.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:47 PM
I guess Mr. Dictionary needs to come in andsave the day.

ROFL. The quote of mine you just quoted says in the article that she requested the earmarks as governor.

I can't help it if newpaper reporters don't know how legislation is formed.

ggoose25
09-08-2008, 09:48 PM
I still don't see how this is an effective attack against McCain/Palin. The majority of the American public don't know and don't care what an earmark is.

After he picked Palin, one of the top searches on Google was "vetting".

So I'm willing to bet most people don't know what an earmark is.

Even though he is right, Obama needs to come up with something stronger if he is going to pursue this line of attack.

florige
09-08-2008, 09:49 PM

You are losing your edge

:lol

Mr. Body
09-08-2008, 09:50 PM
So? Is there any claim that she didn't keep the money?

Maybe she and McCain disagree on earmarks...maybe she's had a change of heart on earmarks...but, either way, it doesn't matter. The McCain message is no earmarks. She's on board. What are you going to do?

They're lying.

Repeatedly.

She's a big pork-ass. Alaska is a big pork-ass state.

She's no reformer. She's a big oinker.

McCain is lying. Big farking lier.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
They're lying.

Repeatedly.

So, don't vote for her...and join the 20% of Alaskans that don't like her.

I think she and McCain are kicking ass. I think Obama thinks that too.

Wild Cobra
09-08-2008, 09:52 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/5/95713/15618/99/587721 yep, I see no coupling of the two bridges, and for a town of under 10K people, a bridge is "needed" that will cost even more than the Bridge to Nowhere?
LOL

LOL

LOL

you're killing me

lol

Lol

LOL

I'm going to die of laughter...

You believe the KOS after their bullshi about Palin's baby being her daughters...

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL

the utter stupidity of you libtards

LOL

LOL

LOL

Mr. Body
09-08-2008, 09:55 PM
So, don't vote for her...and join the 20% of Alaskans that don't like her.

I think she and McCain are kicking ass. I think Obama thinks that too.

The lobbyist stuff hurts McCain pretty hard, too.

All he has to go on is 'maverick' and they're looking to rip that up.

It's not like they have to try too hard.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 09:59 PM
The lobbyist stuff hurts McCain pretty hard, too.

All he has to go on is 'maverick' and they're looking to rip that up.

It's not like they have to try too hard.
Well, they'd better get crackin' Time's a wasting and, so far, they've only managed to drive the McCain-Palin ticket up.

Nice effort.

Oh, and it's not like Mr. Community Organizer doesn't have some obstacle to overcome between now and November 4. I'm thinking McCain has an easier row to hoe.

Mr. Body
09-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Nah, you're just high on the RNC. Fair enough. It'll be a close election, but Obama has kept his powder dry. Expect him to paint the pair as a bunch of liars.

And fuck you on community organizers. Fuck you for defaming the people who work outside of government to make people's lives better. I thought that was your own dumb-ass party's line - that charity and goodwill are better than gov.

It seems everything changes day to day for you.

Nbadan
09-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Another Palin claim debunked by pics....it's like the McSame camp doesn't think there were cameras just a couple years ago...

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/news.aol.com/political-machine/media/2008/09/palin-t-2.jpg

Obama Camp Sends Out Embarrassing Palin Pic
By Tommy Christopher
Sep 8th 2008 12:40PM

The Obama campaign sent out a memo today, along with the accompanying picture, to challenge Palin's claim that she opposed Ted Stevens' "Bridge to Nowhere" earmark. (via email)
I Supported the Bridge to Nowhere and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt

Given that the McCain campaign again claimed that Governor Palin opposed the "Bridge to Nowhere" in their new ad today despite the fact that the claim has been repeatedly debunked, we thought you'd be interested in seeing the following photograph from Governor Palin's 2006 campaign in which she's proudly posing with a t-shirt that reads "NOWHERE ALASKA 99901":

I don't know what the big deal is. I used to watch "Trading Spaces," and they would call this "good use of negative space."

The memo's headline is a nice touch, but in case that was all too subtle, they threw in a quote from WaPo's Howard Kurtz for good measure: "he whopper here is that Palin opposed her state's notorious Bridge to Nowhere. She endorsed the remote project while running for governor in 2006, claimed to be an opponent only after Congress killed its funding the next year and has used the $223 million provided for it for other state ventures. Far from being an opponent of earmarks, Palin hired lobbyists to try to capture more federal funding."

I think Palin meant to say she's an opponent of "remakes." I agree, especially those "reimaginings" like Mission: Impossible. Jim Phelps would never have done that.

Or it could be that Palin is the perfect symbol for McCain's Republican Party. In a country whose people overwhelmingly think it is going in the wrong direction, McCain and Palin want to keep going, right off of that bridge to nowhere.

AOL (http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2008/09/08/obama-camp-sends-out-embarrassing-palin-pic)

scott
09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I'll have to see if I can find a link to that one, a client mentioned it at lunch last week when we were talking presidential politics.

Clearly the source of most of AHF's "facts". I wonder if this is also where the classic "it's illegal for gas stations to raise the price until they've gotten a new shipment" during Katrina came from.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Another Palin claim debunked by pics....it's like the McSame camp doesn't think there were cameras just a couple years ago...

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/news.aol.com/political-machine/media/2008/09/palin-t-2.jpg

AOL (http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2008/09/08/obama-camp-sends-out-embarrassing-palin-pic)
Uh, Dan, the McCain ad didn't claim she opposed the bridge to nowhere. It said she killed it. And, she did.

ggoose25
09-08-2008, 10:10 PM
Uh, Dan, the McCain ad didn't claim she opposed the bridge to nowhere. It said she killed it. And, she did.

Why do you insist on only saying the half truth? She killed it, after it was already killed.

Yonivore
09-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Nah, you're just high on the RNC. Fair enough. It'll be a close election, but Obama has kept his powder dry. Expect him to paint the pair as a bunch of liars.

And fuck you on community organizers. Fuck you for defaming the people who work outside of government to make people's lives better. I thought that was your own dumb-ass party's line - that charity and goodwill are better than gov.
Calm down, Obama himself said he quit community organizing because it didn't pay and it didn't work.

Do tell.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-08-2008, 10:41 PM

It's funny, you have no problem railing against McCain and Palin, but where's your outrage over Obama's flip flops.

Just in the last 3 weeks we've had

* he was against the Surge before he was for it

* he came out in the last day and said that now he doesn't think it will be a good idea to raise taxes on the rich if the economy continues down the path it's on (isn't this his fundamental economic plan?).

* and let's not even touch on his "I'm a Muslim" comment, even though you sorry ass liberals love twisting the words of McCain and Palin.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-08-2008, 10:44 PM
They're lying.

Repeatedly.

She did what governors are supposed to do, work for funding for their state.

If you have a problem with what she did, you should be furious about Obama. But I don't see you bitching about his earmark pork barrel spending, way to be a hypocrite.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-08-2008, 10:48 PM
It's funny, you have no problem railing against McCain and Palin, but where's your outrage over Obama's flip flops.

Just in the last 3 weeks we've had

* he was against the Surge before he was for it

* he came out in the last day and said that now he doesn't think it will be a good idea to raise taxes on the rich if the economy continues down the path it's on (isn't this his fundamental economic plan?).

* and let's not even touch on his "I'm a Muslim" comment, even though you sorry ass liberals love twisting the words of McCain and Palin.

I'll admit, he's flipflopped, and that's pretty fucking lame of him, but I never EVER believed his whole "change" BS in regards to him being a different kind of politician and running a different kind of campaign. I even knew he was full of shit about rapid withdrawal from Iraq, you'll notice now that the democrat line is "Withdraw from Iraq responsibly". I hate that. But I knew it was coming. His entire premise of running a campaign would only work against Hillary and I thought he'd be dogmeat against the republicans, because those evil fucks know how to run campaigns. You'll notice how I've scoffed the shit out of the democrats for trying to walk a fine line and looking like idiots while doing so.

The tax thing is what is gayest of all, that pisses me off alot. I can only hope he's trying to get votes.

Plus talking about Palin is what's the in thing right now, so here we are.

Nbadan
09-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I even knew he was full of shit about rapid withdrawal from Iraq, you'll notice now that the democrat line is "Withdraw from Iraq responsibly".

Where's the flip-flop? He still supports a withdrawal of major ground forces from Iraq....did you expect him to leave on Nov 5th?

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Where's the flip-flop? He still supports a withdrawal of major ground forces from Iraq....did you expect him to leave on Nov 5th?

The flip flop was him saying the Surge would never work, now it has he was really for it and knew it would work out.

T Park
09-09-2008, 12:22 AM
[QUOTE=Cant_Be_Faded;2759392]The tax thing is what is gayest of all, that pisses me off alot. I can only hope he's trying to get votes.

QUOTE]

Maybe cause he wised up and realised raising taxes on the group of people that pay the extreme majority of the taxes would be quite stupid?

TheMadHatter
09-09-2008, 01:38 AM
The surge is the biggest crock of shit the Republicans have cooked up.

They keep redefining what success means in Iraq. It still doesn't change the fact that Iraq is a giant fucking mess right now and whether we leave now or 5 years from now a Civil War will likely break out. We never had a solid exit strategy and we are paying the price now. There is a reason why NO OTHER COUNTRY invaded Iraq, and it's because they knew exactly what kind of mess would happen if they did. There is a reason Bush's own FUCKING FATHER DIDN"T INVADE IRAQ. THERE IS A REASON MOTHERFUCKING DICK CHENEY SAID THAT WE SHOULDN"T INVADE IRAQ YEARS AGO.

Fuck conservatives are the dumbest Americans I've ever seen. "DRILL BABY DRILL!!! USA USA!!!". You sound like fucking ingrates at your convention, fucking neandrathals.

JoeChalupa
09-09-2008, 07:39 AM
I have to admit that Palin knows how to to talk the republican talk and people are sucking up to it once again. The same old politics that have worked for them time and time again and looks to work for them again.
Do you all really want another 8 years of a repubican administration? If so then don't blame me when we find ourselves deeper in debt and further into war.

I Love Me Some Me
09-09-2008, 08:49 AM
She kept the money and allocated it elsewhere. Does anyone know where it was allocated?

101A
09-09-2008, 08:56 AM
As mayor of a small town in Alaska; it was Palin's job to do right by her constituents; if that meant securing all of the free spending earmarks Washington had to dole out; then that was it. It was her job and responsibility - God knows her constituents were sending tax dollar to Washington; she should get as many of those back as possible. If she had done any less, she would not have been a very good mayor. Sounds like, from her success, she was a very good mayor, indeed. If she hadn't scored those earmarks for her town, they would have gone somewhere else - wouldn't have done any good at all - "Mayor of a small town in Alaska spurns earmarks" doesn't exactly make the front page of the times, ro create any type of momentum, does it?

However, when she gets a job in Washington; her job description changes. At that point she is elected to do what is best for the United States; reducing earmarks becomes the goal. It bodes well that she has a track record of succeeding in whatever position she might be in.

101A
09-09-2008, 08:58 AM
There is a reason why NO OTHER COUNTRY invaded Iraq,

Britain, Australia, Poland and Denmark would disagree.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
She kept the money and allocated it elsewhere. Does anyone know where it was allocated?

Apparently the news reports she allocated it for other transportation works fiscally responsible alternatives (roads, etc.)

101A
09-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I'll admit, he's flipflopped, and that's pretty fucking lame of him, but I never EVER believed his whole "change" BS in regards to him being a different kind of politician and running a different kind of campaign. I even knew he was full of shit about rapid withdrawal from Iraq, you'll notice now that the democrat line is "Withdraw from Iraq responsibly". I hate that. But I knew it was coming. His entire premise of running a campaign would only work against Hillary and I thought he'd be dogmeat against the republicans, because those evil fucks know how to run campaigns. You'll notice how I've scoffed the shit out of the democrats for trying to walk a fine line and looking like idiots while doing so.

The tax thing is what is gayest of all, that pisses me off alot. I can only hope he's trying to get votes.

Plus talking about Palin is what's the in thing right now, so here we are.

Speaks the truth. Honesty that ought to be respected.

For my part it pisses me off that McCain has hedged his position on torture and taxes - although his new positions are closer to my own beliefs. Dude should stick to his guns, and his beliefs (of course that's what G.W. HAS done; and look where his approval ratings are).

2centsworth
09-09-2008, 09:04 AM

I encourage you to share your comments with as many people and post on as many message boards as possible. McCain has no better friend.

fyatuk
09-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Personally I find the talk about amounts of earmarks requested by whom absurd anyway. Not every earmark is wasteful spending, but that's how its thought of now.

I don't care about the totals people requested. I care about the totals for the stupid things they requested.

101A
09-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Personally I find the talk about amounts of earmarks requested by whom absurd anyway. Not every earmark is wasteful spending, but that's how its thought of now.

I don't care about the totals people requested. I care about the totals for the stupid things they requested.

My kids request all kinds of crap ALL the time; candy, ice cream, toys, you name it; I could pour shit down them, and spoil them all he damn time because they request it.

Whose fault is it if I DO?

The request are NEVER the problem; Washington fulfilling those that are wasteful or stupid, is.

fyatuk
09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
My kids request all kinds of crap ALL the time; candy, ice cream, toys, you name it; I could pour shit down them, and spoil them all he damn time because they request it.

Whose fault is it if I DO?

The request are NEVER the problem; Washington fulfilling those that are wasteful or stupid, is.

While that's true, it wasn't my point.

Many earmarks are for valid needed projects. It's like your kids requesting new shoes because the soles about to pop off their current ones.

If someone requests an earmark for a needed project at a reasonable amount, it shouldn't be included in the total when discussing wasteful spending.

Central texas a few years ago got a bit for a study for the ASA rail. Considering the stretch of I-35 between SA and Austin is normally considered one of the most dangerous and heavily trafficked stretches of IH roads in the nation, that's a valid project. The money coming in about the same time for planting flowers by the side of the road wasn't.

101A
09-09-2008, 09:52 AM
While that's true, it wasn't my point.

Many earmarks are for valid needed projects. It's like your kids requesting new shoes because the soles about to pop off their current ones.

If someone requests an earmark for a needed project at a reasonable amount, it shouldn't be included in the total when discussing wasteful spending.

Central texas a few years ago got a bit for a study for the ASA rail. Considering the stretch of I-35 between SA and Austin is normally considered one of the most dangerous and heavily trafficked stretches of IH roads in the nation, that's a valid project. The money coming in about the same time for planting flowers by the side of the road wasn't.

Fair enough - and who told you about my kid's shoes?

TheMadHatter
09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
The problem is Iraq cannot be made Democratic. It shouldn't even exist, it was only held together under the iron clad dictatorship of Saddam. It's these kind of nuances about war and foreign affairs that conservatives don't understand. They try to make things so black and white so they don't have to think. Republicans, by and large, are fucking sheep.

fyatuk
09-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Fair enough - and who told you about my kid's shoes?

LOL.

It's what always happened to my shoes. For several months I were shoes that were effectively spats until the school told me I couldn't come back until I got new shoes.

The problem is Iraq cannot be made Democratic. It shouldn't even exist, it was only held together under the iron clad dictatorship of Saddam.

While it's true that most Middle Eastern borders (including Iraqs) were arbitrarily drawn when England started releasing colonies to self-rule, I disagree with the conclusion that Iraq cannot be made democratic. It's certainly tougher than most other places in the world because of the regional divisions of race and religion and the tension between those divisions, but it's hardly impossible.

The biggest obstacle is reducing the power of private militias under the influence of specific people and organizations. If that can be done, Iraq has the potential to flourish as a democracy.

101A
09-09-2008, 10:29 AM
The problem is Iraq cannot be made Democratic. It shouldn't even exist, it was only held together under the iron clad dictatorship of Saddam. It's these kind of nuances about war and foreign affairs that conservatives don't understand. They try to make things so black and white so they don't have to think. Republicans, by and large, are fucking sheep.

Boy that's bigotted against Muslims AND conservatives. VERY open minded one, you.

TheMadHatter
09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Boy that's bigotted against Muslims AND conservatives. VERY open minded one, you.

Fill me in if I'm wrong here, but aren't conservatives the ones who want to stop policing the world. You all sound a lot like Democrats these days.

fyatuk
09-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Fill me in if I'm wrong here, but aren't conservatives the ones who want to stop policing the world. You all sound a lot like Democrats these days.

Actually, lately the shift has been towards Republicans looking for ways to accept a Global world while Democrats are going more protectionist. Seems weird to me, but that's the way things are running right now.

TheMadHatter
09-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Which begs the question, when did the Republican party completely sell out?