PDA

View Full Version : Evan Tanner dead?

Evan
09-08-2008, 07:48 PM
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/9/8/610245/evan-tanner-missing-possib

desflood
09-08-2008, 08:08 PM
They just said the same on mmaweekly radio.

Evan
09-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Did they confirm it?

desflood
09-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Still no confirmation on the body's ID.

djohn14
09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh my God.......Dammit....thats terrible!

desflood
09-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Mmaweekly radio just confirmed it - waiting for law enforcement for the "official" confirmation.

Evan
09-08-2008, 08:19 PM
fuck

dallaskd
09-08-2008, 08:20 PM
omg...noo..nooo...this is so terrible..holy shit. omg

desflood
09-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Go to mmaweekly.com and click on the live radio link - they're on right now talking about it.

TheTruth
09-08-2008, 08:24 PM
That's terrible. The guy has lived such a crazy life. Bummer.

dallaskd
09-08-2008, 08:24 PM
NOOOOOOOO!!!!
dammit!!!!!

dbreiden83080
09-08-2008, 08:43 PM
WTF, how the hell did this happen

This is crazy

desflood
09-08-2008, 08:45 PM
WTF, how the hell did this happen

This is crazy
:lol

I'm sorry. Anybody who knows about Evan Tanner and his life knows EXACTLY how something like this happen.

Please forgive if I sound insensitive.

cornbread
09-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Damn. He's always been one of my top, all-time favorite fighters. This is tragic.

Evan
09-08-2008, 08:50 PM
:lol

I'm sorry. Anybody who knows about Evan Tanner and his life knows EXACTLY how something like this happen.

Please forgive if I sound insensitive.

Yeah...I have been following him since he got into MMA...the entire story is so Evan Tanner.

Evan
09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
It is a shame that in this society we've been taught to judge a man's worth by what he owns instead of who he is. Everything is surface, and so few look beyond it. A man will sell his soul, he will lie, cheat and steal, for money. If he has it, he can buy respect. Wear the right clothes, drive the right car, have the right friends, that's all that matters. Our lives are consumed in a selfish, self absorbed quest for possessions, the latest and the best in a never-ending cycle until the day we die. We forget what it means to be truly human. We forget the things that really matter. We lose the magic of what life should be.

I won't live by rules that make no sense to me.

- Evan Tanner

dallaskd
09-08-2008, 09:08 PM
MMAweekly.com homepage is all over this.

so sad.

dbreiden83080
09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
"It is a shame that in this society we've been taught to judge a man's worth by what he owns instead of who he is. Everything is surface, and so few look beyond it. A man will sell his soul, he will lie, cheat and steal, for money. If he has it, he can buy respect. Wear the right clothes, drive the right car, have the right friends, that's all that matters. Our lives are consumed in a selfish, self absorbed quest for possessions, the latest and the best in a never-ending cycle until the day we die. We forget what it means to be truly human. We forget the things that really matter. We lose the magic of what life should be.

I won't live by rules that make no sense to me.

- Evan Tanner"

Uh, well, uh...... Whoa

dallaskd
09-08-2008, 09:10 PM
wow 35 people are viewing the "Other Sports" forum.

dallaskd
09-08-2008, 09:11 PM

desflood
09-08-2008, 09:12 PM
I've got $5 that says somehow the people who still oppose mma try to find a way to blame this on his profession and lead a renewed push to ban it.

It won't work, of course, but it makes me a little bitter to think of it.

Evan
09-08-2008, 09:21 PM
I've got $5 that says somehow the people who still oppose mma try to find a way to blame this on his profession and lead a renewed push to ban it.

It won't work, of course, but it makes me a little bitter to think of it.

I bet you're right

"The news was confirmed with Tanner’s manager, John Hayner, who said he learned just an hour ago that the body found was indeed Tanner. He was thirty-seven years old."

Evan
09-08-2008, 09:22 PM

Surstalk is the third one down on google for this subject

#
Former UFC middleweight champ Evan Tanner dead at 37 | MMAjunkie.com
Sep 8, 2008 ... UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps.
mmajunkie.com/news/5243/former-ufc-champ-evan-tanner-dead-at-37.mma - 43 minutes ago - Similar pages
#
Reports: Dean Lister vs. Evan Tanner Tentatively Planned for UFC ...
Sep 3, 2007 ... Evan Tanner will TKO Dean Lister by the 3rd round. ... back damn i hope this is true the MW division is just about dead at the moment. ...
mmajunkie.com/news/2788/reports-dean-lister-vs-evan-tanner-tentatively-planned-for-ufc-79.mma - 57k - Cached - Similar pages
More results from mmajunkie.com »
#
Evan Tanner dead? - SpursTalk.com - Forums
Evan Tanner dead? Other Sports. ... Position: Volatile Forward. Team: Dallas Mavericks. vBookie Cash: $1010 Post Count: 4629. Default Evan Tanner dead? ...
www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=104485 - 33 minutes ago - Similar pages

desflood
09-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Goodnight, gentlemen. I'll see you all tomorrow.

Evan
09-08-2008, 09:32 PM
nighty night

djohn14
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah, its sad because if I read a title that said UFC fighter found dead...He would be the one Id think it would be...Well...what a great day...break my leg....fighter I used to love dies....mmm......so fuckin sad.

tlongII
09-08-2008, 10:59 PM
He was a crazy mofo. Probably bit off more than he could chew.

Anti.Hero
09-08-2008, 11:03 PM
This sucks.

Anti.Hero
09-08-2008, 11:09 PM

oligarchy
09-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Sad indeed.

2centsworth
09-08-2008, 11:21 PM
R.I.P. and God Bless his loved ones. Too young.

BRHornet45
09-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Deana Epperson, who grew up across the street from Tanner and his family in his hometown of Amarillo, Texas, said she'd been told that the fighter had texted friends in Oceanside as late as Thursday, telling them that he'd run out of water and gas for his motorcycle. Authorities were then contacted to try and locate the fighter.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/former-ufc-champ-tanner-suspected-dead-14334

BlackSwordsMan
09-09-2008, 01:28 AM
rip

BlackSwordsMan
09-09-2008, 01:33 AM
still pretty idiotic on his part

baseline bum
09-09-2008, 01:44 AM
That sucks for him to die like that. Going out to the desert to escape the city is such a fucking awesome thing to do in SoCal, though I prefer to do it in months where it's not ridiculously hot.

johngateswhiteley
09-09-2008, 01:53 AM
so sad...at least he was doing something he loved. sorry bro...

Evan
09-09-2008, 08:44 AM
still pretty idiotic on his part

A lot of these mma fighters are a very eccentric and strange breed

DBryant88
09-09-2008, 09:43 AM
amen

LEONARD
09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Rogan’s blog
http://blog.joerogan.net/archives/236

LEONARD
09-11-2008, 07:03 PM
The most detailed info yet on Tanner's death...
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/9/11/612440/more-on-evan-tanner-s-deat

Didn't have his bike with him when he died (didn't run out of gas).

Appears he just hiked too far from camp for what water he carried with him and he died trying to walk back at night. Hiked out about 5 miles and made it only 3.8 miles back. Crazy stuff...a guy in his physical condition died in about 18 hrs or so...damn...

Marines Find UFC Champion's Body
September 09, 2008
Marine Corps News|by LCpl. Austin Hazard

YUMA, Ariz. — The air station's Search and Rescue Marines found the body of a former Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight champion in southeast California.

Evan Tanner, 37, was discovered in the Palo Verde Mountain range near Clapp Spring after authorities searched the area for several days.

The air station's SAR unit received the call, searching along with De Anza Rescue, an all-volunteer search group for Imperial County Sherriff's Office, said Capt. Ben Keck, SAR pilot for the search.

According to Tanner's blog, the mixed-martial artist was going hiking for spiritual purposes and to test his limits.

Tanner arrived at his campsite on Sept. 3 and set out to Clapp Spring, about five miles away, the next morning, based on the GPS retrieved from his body, said Jeff Green, De Anza Rescue commander.

"Tanner had sent a friend a phone text message on Thursday afternoon stating that he was at Clapp Spring and had run out of water," said Green. "Tanner told his friend he would travel back to his camp at night, when it's the coldest, and to contact authorities if he wasn’t heard from by 8 a.m. Friday."

The campsite was found abandoned, with Tanner's motorcycle and additional provisions and water, at noon on Sept. 6.

"De Anza Rescue found Tanner's tracks at Clapp Spring early Saturday, confirming that he reached the area," said Keck. "We followed the trail until they lost it at the base of a mountain."

SAR Marines picked up the trail later that afternoon, before ending the day's search at nightfall, said Keck.

De Anza Rescue and station SAR continued to search the area on Sept. 7.

Imperial County Sherriff's Office called SAR Marines out again on Sept. 8. Yuma Marines spotted Tanner's body 1.2 miles away from his campsite at about 12:30 p.m., said Keck.

After the body was found, station SAR flew a coroner to the scene once he arrived from El Centro, Calif.

SAR Marines then airlifted the body to the nearby town of Palo Verde, Calif., where the body was released to the coroner.

The coroner determined the time of death to be between late night on Sept. 4 and the morning of Sept. 5, and the cause of death to be heat exposure, said Green.

Station SAR receives approximately 30 calls for search and rescue operations per year, said Keck.

Evan
09-11-2008, 07:10 PM
The most detailed info yet on Tanner's death...
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/9/11/612440/more-on-evan-tanner-s-deat

Didn't have his bike with him when he died (didn't run out of gas).

Appears he just hiked too far from camp for what water he carried with him and he died trying to walk back at night. Hiked out about 5 miles and made it only 3.8 miles back. Crazy stuff...a guy in his physical condition died in about 18 hrs or so...damn....

Sounds like someone who went on a bender for a bit and was trying to dry out alone in the desert...pretty dehydrated.

Binging on alcohol just takes so much out of you....takes days to recover. Go out in the heat after over doing it and you're asking for trouble.

oligarchy
09-11-2008, 10:58 PM
Sounds like someone who went on a bender for a bit and was trying to dry out alone in the desert...pretty dehydrated.

Binging on alcohol just takes so much out of you....takes days to recover. Go out in the heat after over doing it and you're asking for trouble.

You really think he started drinking again?

I wonder what the autopsy will show -- if there might be more to this.

Evan
09-12-2008, 06:29 AM
You really think he started drinking again?

I wonder what the autopsy will show -- if there might be more to this.

Its possible...its just to hard to explain how he died so close to camp. Maybe he was just worn out and passed out. Maybe not even dehydrated.

Tanner seemed like a brilliant guy who just couldn't execute any of his grand plans.

desflood
09-12-2008, 09:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/video?id=3581590

LEONARD
09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/video?id=3581590

Eh...bad info. Didn't run out of gas...

Evan also posted a follow-up about it not being a death-wish type adventure after people started reacting to his statement about equipment failure could mean death...he said he spent a lot of time planning the trip.

Evan
09-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I firmly believe he was on a bender and was just worn out and passed out in the heat.

But I don't believe they will find alcohol in his blood.

Evan
09-12-2008, 07:14 PM
classy short and sweat tribute to Tanner on InsideMMA on hdnet

Evan
09-15-2008, 03:16 PM
myspace

http://www.davidbornack.info/pics/turner.jpg

LEONARD
09-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Best one I've seen so far...lots of early footage from HnS and Pancrase...
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/9/14/613937/clip-of-the-day-evan-tanne

dallaskd
09-15-2008, 05:11 PM
myspace

http://www.davidbornack.info/pics/turner.jpg

who's Evan Turner?

dallaskd
09-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Best one I've seen so far...lots of early footage from HnS and Pancrase...
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/9/14/613937/clip-of-the-day-evan-tanne

Awesome video. I signed the petition, but would you honestly consider him a hall of famer if he didnt die recently? idk about that.

Evan
09-15-2008, 05:25 PM
who's Evan Turner?

I know...lol

Evan
09-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Awesome video. I signed the petition, but would you honestly consider him a hall of famer if he didnt die recently? idk about that.

The UFC criteria hasn't been established. But he was a belt holder. Not the strongest case for him but I'd like to see him.

That Franklin Vs Tanner fight alone..............

From Dave Meltzer:

"--Dana White said this morning that they will be dedicating Wednesday night's live show on Spike from Omaha, headlined by Houston Alexander vs. Eric Schafer, to Evan Tanner and that they will be airing an Evan Tanner TV tribute show on Spike. White said they've also put together 30 second tribute spots for Tanner that will be airing soon."

dallaskd
09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
good job Dana.

Anti.Hero
09-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm in the process of making a Tanner video. It'll have every single fight (still collecting them atm) and be as long as youtube allows (i think 10 mins). It'll take me a month or so though.

Just got done with the Fight Night TUF 7 introduction and then his first fight (UFC 18).

Evan
09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
wow looking forward to it!

dallaskd
09-22-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm in the process of making a Tanner video. It'll have every single fight (still collecting them atm) and be as long as youtube allows (i think 10 mins). It'll take me a month or so though.

Just got done with the Fight Night TUF 7 introduction and then his first fight (UFC 18).

It'll get blocked eventually. Everytime I make highlight videos with UFC clips they always get blocked even if you paid for the video. It's BS.

LEONARD
09-24-2008, 06:45 PM
2 unpublished blog entries by Evan Tanner were released...
http://www.spike.com/profile/Evan_Tanner

Evan
09-29-2008, 05:20 PM
whew...

Another Myspace Bulletin gem from War Machine:

Evan Tanner and the faggot ass UFC..

So the UFC decided to let me go because of my statements after the death of Evan Tanner. They tried to make it look like I was insensitive towards Evan and that that was the reason I was being cut.

In all honesty my bulletin regarding Evan was bashing the UFC and the way they treat fighters and not negative to Evan in any way. if anything I was sticking up for Evan and the way he was mistreated by the UFC just like the vast majority of it fighters.

Anyway, since my bulletins and all the bullshit being talked about on the underground several of Evan Tanner's close friends and family members have been in contact with me. 99 percent of them were not mad at all and pretty much let me know that they knew where I was going with the whole bulletin and for me not to worry about hurting any of them directly.

SO yeah one of his close friends just messaged me a few hours ago and let me know that the UFC sent NO ONE to speak at his funeral. He let me know how much this saddened the family and how very disappointed they were about it all.

This is an EX CHAMPION of theirs, NOT some scrub that fought for them once and thats it. Are you trying to tell me he doesn't deserve any of the UFC brass' presence at his funeral? Doesn't deserve a single kind word or statement of gratitude for the services that he provided their organization?

Fucking bullshit if you ask me. This also brings me back to the whole reason I was let go by them. It obviously wasn't because they thought I was offensive to the Tanners it was as I ALWAYS knew...it was because I spoke my mind about the organization and the way the treat their fighters.

Actions speak louder than words and they can say what they want about why they were not present but to me it sure looks like they didn't give two shits about the guy.

Fucking sad.

WM

Send fucking flowers to Tanner's funeral service. Nothing more to say."

A few things...

1. The UFC should have sent someone to pay their respects but I ask how does he know for sure they didn't? If the UFC didn't then that is pretty sorry of them. They don't need someone to make a speech but showing up would be nice

2. However they did dedicate a fight night to him and they asked spike to make a Evan Tanner special

3. He was cut for refusing a fight, not because of Evan Tanner. I find it difficult to believe the UFC was reading his blog and cut him that night.

4. He torched his career for this rant

5. How did Tanner's friends have his cell number? Tanner was not a part of the MMA crowd and he wasn't friends with many people let alone other fighters.

6. And screw this guy for making Tanner's death about him

cornbread
09-29-2008, 06:05 PM
6. And screw this guy for making Tanner's death about him

I thought the same thing after reading Matthew Riddle's story that he posted a few days after Tanner died.

dallaskd
09-29-2008, 06:08 PM
I thought the same thing after reading Matthew Riddle's story that he posted a few days after Tanner died.

What did Riddle say?

Evan
09-29-2008, 06:08 PM
I was going to say something much more harsh in 6 but I am trying to watch my language...

Anti.Hero
09-29-2008, 06:22 PM
The last couple fights I kind of got the sense the UFC did not want Tanner anymore.

cornbread
09-29-2008, 06:26 PM
What did Riddle say?

It wasn't really a big deal. He just wrote this long-ass blog about his path to the UFC and tried to connect it to Tanner because he's care-free like Tanner was. To me, it came off as self-promotion at a completely inappropriate time.

Evan
09-29-2008, 06:31 PM
The last couple fights I kind of got the sense the UFC did not want Tanner anymore.

How so?

They extended his contract 2 fights ago and Joe Silva told him he always has a place int he UFC. When his Jeep got broken into the UFC replaced all of his gear to help him out.

Not that the UFC are saints by any means...just asking..

desflood
09-29-2008, 06:31 PM
because he's care-free like Tanner was.
:rolleyes Tanner wasn't carefree. He was a dude with a boatload of problems. Anybody who really can't see that and believes Tanner was "carefree" has their head way up their ass. Now, Riddle may be carefree, but that's because he still lives at home with Mommy.

End rant.

dallaskd
09-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Riddle has a free XBOX. What else does he need?

Evan
09-30-2008, 04:05 PM
If you're interested, you can subscribe right at www.richfranklin.com.)

Evan Tanner and I pummeled each other in two ferocious octagon battles. I held him in high regard and found him sincere and engaging. Last summer we had a chance to spend time catching up with one another in Las Vegas, when he was fighting. Little did I know this time together would be our last.

Many fans followed Evan’s blog. Reading it reveals his restless need to journey through wilderness in search of self-discovery. How ironic that the California desert he loved so much, was also the place of his death.

It’s been said that bad things sometimes happen to good people. So when a good person like Evan is dealt a terrible situation, it’s hard to absorb, much less understand. Trying to grasp how a likable guy such as Evan could have died, and in such a tragic way, is a large-sized spiritual mystery.

Being a Christian, I turn to my faith first when confronted with yet another example that the world can be so unfair. I’ve read the story of Job and realize that for centuries it has offered some perspective during times of coping with shocking loss. Perhaps it is possible that we need suffering in order to appreciate what it’s like to experience goodness and happiness and peace.

It has been said that the principal reason some people embrace religion is the same reason others reject it. That reason is the existence of suffering and death. Non-believers choose to walk away, saying they cannot worship a deity who could indifferently preside over so much awfulness.

Those who worship understand that there is also a real chance for making contributions on earth and having a spiritual life beyond it. This awareness helps to give meaning and hope when confronted with life’s complexities.

Although the human capacity for reason is one of our best weapons in getting through life, it can take us only so far. Contemplating the infinite vastness of the universe, we soon get to a point of diminishing returns as we try to make sense of sad situations such as Evan’s. It is then that my faith is what pulls me through.

God is all-powerful and all-knowing and yet, mysteriously, bad things will always happen. Spirituality can demand inward struggle while at the same time offering great emotional comfort. Sometimes I’m at peace with not knowing God’s incomprehensible ways. At other times I’m unsettled because I can’t explain that which is beyond my imagination. That’s when I really have to work at accepting that not knowing is okay.

What I am certain of is that I will continue to study and to pray, determined to walk towards the light

Evan
09-30-2008, 04:06 PM
:rolleyes Tanner wasn't carefree. He was a dude with a boatload of problems. Anybody who really can't see that and believes Tanner was "carefree" has their head way up their ass. Now, Riddle may be carefree, but that's because he still lives at home with Mommy.

End rant.

Indeed...well said..

He was a tortured soul.

The TroutBum
11-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Holy shit, when did this happen?