PDA

View Full Version : Do you recycle? (work, home)

JudynTX
09-09-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm all for going green, etc.......but now my employer (not my boss) wants Floor Captains designated to compile all the plastic coke bottles, etc. :bang

Not to mention we would be responsible for hauling them to the recycling center.

WTF??????????? :nope My boss kindly told them no, we aren't interested. :lmao

Los Spurs
09-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Gee, sorry to hear that. I think everyone should contribute.

JudynTX
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Gee, sorry to hear that. I think everyone should contribute.

I'm all for contributing, but it's not my responsibility to make sure they get in the recycling bins at the end of EACH day.

CuckingFunt
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm all for going green, etc.

Apparently you're only partially for going green.

And only when it's convenient.

boutons_
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onDbTL9DFpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0mq9skLurY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwE5y_GOIQ

JudynTX
09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Apparently you're only partially for going green.

And only when it's convenient.

I recycle at home.

ATRAIN
09-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Im not green but if any female posters want to save water and shower with me im all for saving the environment.

SpursWoman
09-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Our BOD just recycled our CEO last night ... and everyone is pretty happy about that. :lol

We have huge recycle bins for paper at our work ... we just have boxes by the printer & copier that we fill up and then go take to the bin. It's not that big of a deal.

I don't think we do as much as we should at home, though. :oops

JudynTX
09-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Our BOD just recycled our CEO last night ... and everyone is pretty happy about that. :lol

We have huge recycle bins for paper at our work ... we just have boxes by the printer & copier that we fill up and then go take to the bin. It's not that big of a deal.

I don't think we do as much as we should at home, though. :oops

We've been recycling paper for years here at work and that's fine. But now come plastic recycling.

BTW.....most of the paper we recycle ends up in the freakin dumpster. :lol

SpursWoman
09-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh, and they do have a bin for soda cans in the break room, but I'm not sure who's in charge of that.

JudynTX
09-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Oh, and they do have a bin for soda cans in the break room, but I'm not sure who's in charge of that.

You didn't get the memo? You have been appointed Floor Captain! :lol

bus driver
09-09-2008, 11:37 AM
recycle paper...yes
recycle water...yes
recycle plastic....yes
recycle aluminum....yes

we have bins and a company comes and picks it up, now.
we use to only have paper recycle and a recycle paper dumpster out back (about 1/2 a mile) and i would take our building's paper to the paper dumpster to have it recycled. i would have help but it would take an hour, so i would do it after work and put an extra hour on my time card.

balli
09-09-2008, 11:59 AM
My recycle bin is always twice as full as my trash. And I 100% disagree with the collective decision to not recycle at work; you, your boss and your co-workers should listen to your eco-conscious employer.

CuckingFunt
09-09-2008, 12:02 PM
My recycle bin is always twice as full as my trash.

Between recycling the recyclables and composting the green waste, my actual garbage can takes forever to fill up.

Shelly
09-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Now that the city was kind enough to give us those big blue trash cans, yes.

Melmart1
09-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm all for going green, etc.......but now my employer (not my boss) wants Floor Captains designated to compile all the plastic coke bottles, etc. :bang

So somebody asked for volunteers to help recycle. Waaahhh! The fucking NERVE of some people, let's start an entire thread to bitch about someone asking for volunteers to make the earth a little cleaner.

My recycle bin is always twice as full as my trash.

Yup. It's amazing, between me and my roommate we tend to take over a week sometimes to fill a 10-gal trash can, which isn't very big. But our recycling bin is always overflowing by Thursday pickup. I would say our ratio is easily 4:1. It's amazing when you start recycling, realizing how much crap you used to throw away that can be easily recycled with little to no extra effort on your part.

T Park
09-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Been recycling for about 15 years now. Its pretty easy.

Albert Einstein
09-09-2008, 04:37 PM
If you are really serious about recycling you will drink your own urine.

Einstein's Ghost
09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
If you are really serious about recycling you will drink your own urine.

That explains how you get off thinking you're Einstein.

JoeChalupa
09-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I recycle at home and at work. :tu

Kori Ellis
09-09-2008, 05:09 PM
We don't recycle at all.

ORION
09-09-2008, 05:11 PM
My dog would recycle his poop by eating it

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
09-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Don't believe in it.

Chief
09-09-2008, 06:25 PM
in the states i usually would recycle plastic bottles n stuff

but sometimes people at my internet cafe accidentally print something by mistake so instead of throwing it away I usually use the back to print minor stuff or scratch paper.

I agree with many of the above posters, recycling is easy.

desflood
09-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Recycling at home is easy. How difficult is it to rinse out a can and then throw it into the blue container instead of the brown one? At work there's more effort involved - and nobody wants to take time to put in the effort.

LuvBones
09-09-2008, 06:49 PM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb78/gogino20/close2.gif

Ginofan
09-09-2008, 06:55 PM
We recycle paper and empty ink cartridges at work. But at home our apartment complex does not offer any type of recycle dumpster...

CuckingFunt
09-09-2008, 09:16 PM
We recycle paper and empty ink cartridges at work. But at home our apartment complex does not offer any type of recycle dumpster...

Mine doesn't either, but my neighbors and I have all created our own recycling system -- we made our own bins and the people with trucks trade off taking it down to the recycling center every couple of weeks. Luckily, everyone who lives here currently is willing to participate, because it would otherwise be a big trash pile.

Dex
09-09-2008, 09:39 PM
Don't believe in it.

:lmao

Das Texan
09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
thanks to the city is beyond fucking easy to recycle. There really is no excuse not to recycle anymore.

Although recycling is only a first step and doesnt do all that much in reality, other than be a good first start.

Re-using is even better.

Das Texan
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
ya the apt complex i'm in when i'm in fort worth doesnt recycle neither.

i dont get it. maybe i'll have to start working on getting that in this fucking place.

CuckingFunt
09-09-2008, 10:28 PM
ya the apt complex i'm in when i'm in fort worth doesnt recycle neither.

i dont get it. maybe i'll have to start working on getting that in this fucking place.

It just depends on what kind of neighbors you have. There are two small buildings (12 units each) that share my parking lot/garbage area and neither property manager wanted to be responsible for any kind of recycling solution, so it's not written into any rental agreements or anything like that. There just happened to be enough people here that care about recycling that we were been able to put it together ourselves.

balli
09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
That's cool man (in my best hippie voice). :tu for seizing the initiative.

09-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Still don't believe in it.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Don't believe in it.

How can you "not believe in it"? Recycling is not a faith-based activity - it is based on FACTS. You save energy, water, and non-renewbale resources by recycling, reduce the size of toxic landfills, and it takes less than 5 minutes a day to do it - in fact, set up the bins properly, show people what goes in which bin, and it pretty much takes care of itself.

Recycling is the easiest thing in the world to do, and not doing it is environmental vandalism IMHO.

thanks to the city is beyond fucking easy to recycle. There really is no excuse not to recycle anymore.

Although recycling is only a first step and doesn't do all that much in reality, other than be a good first start.

Re-using is even better.

Two things to say to that:
1. agreed, it is only entry-level environmentally-conscious behaviour and really should be required of everyone. My city recycles 70% of its solid waste, and has gone from 0 to 70% in a decade. Change the culture, make it easy by having a weekly recycling pickup as for garbage (we have two bins - one for paper, plastics, cans, etc., one for other garbage), and oila, less waste.
2. actually, it does do a lot in reality. Recycling products saves 40-70% (depending on the product) of the energy of making things new, doesn't add to landfill (a very toxic environment that chews up otherwise productive land), and generates employment. It's only a start, and I agree that reusing is better, but at least it is a start.

balli
09-09-2008, 11:37 PM
How can you "not believe in it"? Recycling is not a faith-based activity - it is based on FACTS. You save energy, water, and non-renebale resources by recycling, and it takes less than 5 minutes a day to do it - in fact, set up the bins properly, show people what goes in what bin, and it pretty much takes care of itself.

Recycling is the easiest thing in the world to do, and not doing it is environmental vandalism IMHO.

Well, I think he's making a veiled reference/statement on people who refuse to believe in global warming (at least I hope so). If not, I agree, it's fucked up not to recycle and I too consider not doing so to be the equivalent of eco-vandalism.

angelbelow
09-09-2008, 11:39 PM
i try to, i do save bottles and cans but i usually find myself too lazy to recycle until it accumulates to an unbearable amount.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Well, I think he's making a veiled reference/statement on people who refuse to believe in global warming (at least I hope so). If not, I agree, it's fucked up not to recycle and I too consider not doing so to be the equivalent of eco-vandalism.

Unfortunately, the science behind the theory of global warming has been conflated with politics, and the IPCC keeps relying on the "global mean temperature" statistic which is open to attack from all quarters. The forces of unbridled mass-consumption have done a great job confusing the layman and giving ammunition to the environment-haters.

Examine the solid, observable science behind the theory - rates of ice melt at the poles and glaciers, ecosystem measurements (like animal migration and plant-flowering), changes to localised weather patterns, the changed composition of the atmosphere, etc., and the picture is very clear - the climate is changing at 10-100x (depending on your location on the planet) quicker than it EVER HAS, and the only other factor that has changed massively is the composition of the atmosphere correspondent with wide-spread, large-scale industrialisation and spiralling population.

Anyway, yes, of course he is.

Das Texan
09-10-2008, 07:15 AM
It just depends on what kind of neighbors you have. There are two small buildings (12 units each) that share my parking lot/garbage area and neither property manager wanted to be responsible for any kind of recycling solution, so it's not written into any rental agreements or anything like that. There just happened to be enough people here that care about recycling that we were been able to put it together ourselves.

well i was thinking more of putting my old college activism hat back on making the apartment complex start recycling but i see what you are saying.

:lol

Das Texan
09-10-2008, 07:18 AM
Two things to say to that:
1. agreed, it is only entry-level environmentally-conscious behaviour and really should be required of everyone. My city recycles 70% of its solid waste, and has gone from 0 to 70% in a decade. Change the culture, make it easy by having a weekly recycling pickup as for garbage (we have two bins - one for paper, plastics, cans, etc., one for other garbage), and oila, less waste.
2. actually, it does do a lot in reality. Recycling products saves 40-70% (depending on the product) of the energy of making things new, doesn't add to landfill (a very toxic environment that chews up otherwise productive land), and generates employment. It's only a start, and I agree that reusing is better, but at least it is a start.

Ya I know what you are saying. I probably worded what I said wrong, didnt mean to write off recycling as not very useful at all (:lol) but my main point was that recycling was just a starter course in being a good steward to the planet.

DarkReign
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Don't believe in it.

How can you "not believe in it"?

You should try less-serious some time. Not everyone types in blue text for sarcasm.

I recycle at home and work. I actually convinced my boss at work to start a program. Coworkers loved me, I was the hippie who increased their oh-so-busy workload with mundane stuff like recycling.

I went to the sister company soon after and the program was halted immediately. What do you know? I was back there the other week and noticed a recycling bin. Never asked why, but I would assume its because the sheer amount of paper you use in an engineering atmosphere is so jarring, you cant help but think "Man, this is a waste!"

When I started it, they were doing about 3 machines a year. They now do over 40 a year. So they had well over 40x the waste, Im sure. Thats how ridiculous it has to get before even the lazy and self-absorbed realize what the term "wasteful" actually means. I couldnt imagine.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-10-2008, 08:15 PM
You should try less-serious some time. Not everyone types in blue text for sarcasm.

He's not being sarcastic. I've seen him espouse similar views on anything environment-related before, so i was reacting to both that post and his history.

Anyway, I don't do "less serious". I am a serious person, and that's just the way it is.

Strike
09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
My recycle bin is always twice as full as my trash. And I 100% disagree with the collective decision to not recycle at work; you, your boss and your co-workers should listen to your eco-conscious employer.

If the employer wants it so bad, then the employer can do it.

Biernutz
09-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Our recycle can (blue one) is filled up almost each week. The trash can could go for 3-4 weeks before I have to take it out. We even use the HEB green bags. No plastic.

tsb2000
09-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Where I live, the city provided big bins for recycling. Pretty easy. Also my old job bought every employee a "green" coffee cup and a water bottle so the company could stop buying Styrofoam cups for coffee.

Das Texan
09-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Where I live, the city provided big bins for recycling. Pretty easy. Also my old job bought every employee a "green" coffee cup and a water bottle so the company could stop buying Styrofoam cups for coffee.

Syrofoam is a whole different animal that we dont want to get me started on thats for damn sure.

09-10-2008, 11:03 PM
He's not being sarcastic. I've seen him espouse similar views on anything environment-related before, so i was reacting to both that post and his history.

Anyway, I don't do "less serious". I am a serious person, and that's just the way it is.

You take the high road and Ill take the low road. Sometimes, I wish to God I didn't know now the things I didn't know then.

And give me something to believe in.

Brutalis
09-10-2008, 11:07 PM
I know this may seem like a stupid question for you guys that recycle but I would like to start.

Any tips on how to get going and where to take my trash? I live out in the country and we pay a dude 20 bucks a month to pick up our trash.

balli
09-10-2008, 11:15 PM
I know this may seem like a stupid question for you guys that recycle but I would like to start.

Any tips on how to get going and where to take my trash? I live out in the country and we pay a dude 20 bucks a month to pick up our trash.

I'd say, "trash dude, I'm interested in recycling, if I were to put my recyclables in separate bags from the trash, is there any chance you'd be able to take them and recycle them with little or no extra effort?"

In fact, my grandpappy is in a kind of similar situation. There is no recycling pickup at his house and he's too damn old to drive it to the recycling center himself, but his housekeeper takes all of his diet coke cans and merlot bottles because she can trade them in for cash like the hobos do. I'd guess if this guy could get cash money for your recyclables he'd probably be willing to take them.

Or if you drive into a metropolitan area every so often, have space in your garage and a big ass truck/trailer, just save it all yourself and take it with you when you go.

The truth is though, that due to the constraints your dealing with, it just might not be feasible. Don't feel bad... if you can't do it, you can't do it. Hopefully you're able to though.

Brutalis
09-10-2008, 11:30 PM
My trash guy is one of those old hicks who would tell me he'd do that, and really just dump it in the landfill.

I am probably going to do the aluminum one since that place is nearby.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
09-11-2008, 04:45 AM
You take the high road and Ill take the low road. Sometimes, I wish to God I didn't know now the things I didn't know then.

And give me something to believe in.

I take the road of caring about the future, you take the road of selling the planet for your grandchildren.

Hopefully, my people will win.

:ihit

And next on ST:TV, Ultimate Battle Song Super-Poetry!!!

Ginofan
09-11-2008, 07:39 AM

Yeah pretty much all of our neighbors are Indian, and they don't give a shit about America. I suppose I could just take my recycled stuff to my parents' house...