PDA

View Full Version : Pretty speeches, but no substance. No questions, please.

RandomGuy
09-09-2008, 03:56 PM
No questions, please; Palin sticks to her script

By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer
40 minutes ago

LEBANON, Ohio - John McCain took a risk in picking little-known Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as a running mate, but now the campaign's playing it safer. She's sticking to a greatest hits version of her convention speech on the campaign trail and steering clear of questions until she's comfortable enough for a hand-picked interviewer later this week.

More than 40 million people tuned in last week to listen to the speech from Palin, the 44-year-old first-term governor whom McCain announced as his surprise vice presidential pick just days before. Since then, that basic script is all anyone has heard from her publicly, and her only interaction with the media was a brief conversation with a small group of reporters on her plane Monday — off the record at her handlers' insistence.

Associated Press reporters were not on the plane, but an aide told the journalists on board that all Palin flights would be off the record unless the media were told otherwise. At least one reporter objected. Two people on the flight said the Palins greeted the media and they chatted about who had been to Alaska, but little else was said.

By comparison, her Democratic counterpart, Joe Biden, has been campaigning on his own for weeks, at times taking questions from audiences. He was interviewed on NBC's "Meet the Press" Sunday.

His campaign appearances have touched on a range of issues — in Florida he talked about U.S. support for Israel, in Pennsylvania it was economics and tax policy.

Amid growing sniping from Democrats, the McCain campaign announced that Palin would sit down for her first interview, with ABC. It will take place over two days at her home in Alaska.

And then?

McCain campaign manager Rick Davis has said that Palin will "agree to an interview when we think it's time and when she feels comfortable doing it."

"She's not scared to answer questions," Davis said on "Fox News Sunday."

So far, Palin has barely spoken with voters either. Since the convention, she and McCain have breezed through a Wisconsin ice cream shop, a New Mexico restaurant and a Missouri barbecue place, shaking hands with diners but not taking any questions. Photographers and television cameras have been allowed full view while reporters are typically ushered too far away to ask questions or hear most of the conversations.

Her public remarks essentially have been excerpts of her convention speech, delivered while introducing McCain at rallies.

Her schedule released Tuesday shows she will attend a "welcome home" rally in Fairbanks, Alaska, on Wednesday evening — her first major campaign appearance without McCain at her side and his advisers hanging in the wings.

To be sure, all candidates running for office give the same remarks over and over — Barack Obama's stump speech has hardly changed throughout the campaign, and McCain has been telling familiar stories and jokes for months.

But none of the candidates in this race has been so shielded from the media, so protected from any spontaneous situation, and Palin's unvarying remarks give the impression that she and her message are being tightly controlled. As before her convention speech, McCain's campaign is briefing Palin for her first TV interview.

In her remarks, there are always descriptions of McCain as a "man who's there to serve his country and not just his party." He's someone who's "not looking for a fight but is not afraid of one either." He "doesn't run with the Washington herd." He's the only man in this election "who has ever really fought for you."

And always the same details about herself, how she "stood up to the special interests, the lobbyists, big oil companies and the good ol' boys network," as a mayor and then governor in Alaska.

The people in their crowds, many of whom say they've heard these lines before, still go wild when she repeats that McCain put everything on the line last year when he said "he would rather lose an election than see his country lose a war."

She can be a little cutting, as well, when it comes to the Democrats.

"In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers," she says. "And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change."

She delivers the line, like many of her veiled criticisms of Obama, in a disapproving tone that still manages to sound charming to her fans. It is part of what makes her so popular on the campaign trail.

Another favorite is that story about how she got rid of luxuries in the state Capitol, like a personal driver, chef and luxury jet.

"I put it on eBay," she says.

Audiences love this part, but what Palin never adds is that the jet didn't sell on eBay despite numerous attempts. The state eventually hired an aircraft broker to unload it.

-------------------------------------------------------

Sokay. I will be fair and assume she is being brought up to speed as quickly as possible.

I can't quite fault the McCain campaign's obvious gaffe prevention moves, but how long they keep her under wraps will be the really telling about how much/little she knows about the complex policy issues she will be asked about.

I wouldn't count the coming interview that will likely be nothing but soft, easy pitches over the plate as being out from under wraps either.

101A
09-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Just wait.

They're gonna make it seem like she's afraid, unable to give an interview; can't hang. Build up sympathy, lower expectations; get the media in a frenzy, then knock it out of the park. Wait for it.

101A
09-09-2008, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't count the coming interview that will likely be nothing but soft, easy pitches over the plate as being out from under wraps either.

Why?

Spurminator
09-09-2008, 04:30 PM
McCain/Palinger in '08!

RandomGuy
09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Just wait.

They're gonna make it seem like she's afraid, unable to give an interview; can't hang. Build up sympathy, lower expectations; get the media in a frenzy, then knock it out of the park. Wait for it.

Um, yeah. :rolleyes

If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.

The truth is probably a bit more muddled, but you may have your dreams. Who am I to burst your bubble. Carry on. :hat

2centsworth
09-09-2008, 04:48 PM
don't you love the condescension 101A.

TheMadHatter
09-09-2008, 04:49 PM
The woman can certainly speak in front of a camera, I believe she was a newswoman. That isn't the issue. The issue is she has no idea what the fuck she's talking about because she's some redneck from Alaska.

2centsworth
09-09-2008, 04:51 PM
The woman can certainly speak in front of a camera, I believe she was a newswoman. That isn't the issue. The issue is she has no idea what the fuck she's talking about because she's some redneck from Alaska.

don't forget religious wacko and cunt.

Nbadan
09-09-2008, 09:30 PM
Palin and McCain, joined at the hip since announcing her nomination, part ways tomorrow as she heads to a welcome home celebration in Alaska, but even her native Alaskans have questions that need answering...

• You present yourself as a Republican maverick who took on your own party's corrupt political establishment. In November's election, your party is running an indicted U.S. Senator, Ted Stevens, who is awaiting trial on charges he accepted more than $250,000 of unreported gifts from the state's most powerful lobbyist. Will you vote for his opponent? Will you urge Alaskans to help you change Washington and vote him out of office? If not, why not?

• Sen. Ted Stevens' trial is still pending; he has declined to say whether he would accept a pardon from President Bush before Bush leaves office in January. Do Alaska voters deserve an answer to that question before they cast their vote for or against Stevens in November? What is your position on a president pardoning a public official before a jury has ruled on guilt or innocence?

• Alaska Congressman Don Young appears to have won his Republican primary, even though you endorsed his opponent. Will you vote for your fellow Republican Don Young, who has spent over $1 million on legal fees without telling his constituents what sort of legal trouble he is in?

• Why have you reneged on your earlier pledge to cooperate with the Alaska Legislature's investigation into Troopergate?

• In spring of 2004, the Daily News reported that you cited family considerations in deciding not to try for the U.S. Senate: "How could I be the team mom if I was a U.S. senator?" What was different this time as you decided to run for vice president?

• As governor of Alaska, you have not pushed for laws or regulations that put your personal views on abortion, same-sex marriage and creationism into public policy. As vice president, will you push to outlaw abortion, restrict same-sex marriage and require the teaching of creationism?

• If you were a fully qualified vice-presidential candidate from the get-go, why did you wait more than 10 days to face reporters?

• McCain spokesman Rick Davis told Fox News the media didn't show you enough "deference." How much deference do you expect to get from Vladimir Putin or Hugo Chavez?

• You have said victory is in sight in Iraq. In July 2007, when you visited Kuwait, you said, "I'm not going to judge the surge." In the March 2007 issue of Alaska Business Monthly, you were asked about the surge and quoted saying:

"I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq. . . . While I support our president, Condoleezza Rice and the administration, I want to know that we have an exit plan in place."

Define "victory" in Iraq? What is the exit plan?

BOTTOM LINE: The nation deserves to hear Palin's unfiltered answers to serious questions.

Anchorage Daily News (http://www.adn.com/opinion/story/520272.html)

possessed
09-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I thought this was a thread about Obama.

Wild Cobra
09-10-2008, 12:01 AM
So did I.

I guess Random is getting into the slimball game too to see if any of the lies and propaganda sticks.

RandomGuy
09-10-2008, 12:58 PM
So did I.

I guess Random is getting into the slimball game too to see if any of the lies and propaganda sticks.

... says the political hack.

Pot, meet kettle. :rolleyes

Perhaps you can answer this question:

Why is access to her so tightly controlled?

She gives pretty speeches to the faithful, but, like Bush, doesn't seem to want to face any tough questions.

Not an auspicious beginning.

A guy who voted with Bush 90% of the time, and someone who needs to be shielded from the big bad liberal media like Bush.

RandomGuy
09-10-2008, 12:59 PM

... the differnce being that Mr. Obama can speak for himself.

101A
09-10-2008, 01:01 PM
... says the political hack.

Pot, meet kettle. :rolleyes

Perhaps you can answer this question:

She gives pretty speeches to the faithful, but, like Bush, doesn't seem to want to face any tough questions.

A guy who voted with Bush 90% of the time, and someone who needs to be shielded from the big bad liberal media like Bush.

Why make a big deal about this? It's been less than two weeks, and beginning tomorrow a major network has unfiltered access. This is a non-issue; if she can't hang we'll find out soon enough. You gonna be man enough to admit you pematured on this one when it is proven you did?

RandomGuy
09-10-2008, 01:18 PM
Why make a big deal about this? It's been less than two weeks, and beginning tomorrow a major network has unfiltered access. This is a non-issue; if she can't hang we'll find out soon enough. You gonna be man enough to admit you pematured on this one when it is proven you did?

I will indeed.

I actually admitted it was a bit unfair in the OP.

Quite frankly, after the horribly unfair things that have been said about Mr. Obama, you will have to pardon me for giving into the impulse to return the favor.

A very wise general once remarked "The greatest war is the war against one's lower self."

I like to think I am winning that war, but occasionally lose a battle.

09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
People, intelligent ones, will begin to see through the same old lines repeated over and over again with no real substance. Biden needs to blast her in the debate.

RandomGuy
09-10-2008, 01:24 PM
My best serious guess is that she is fairly intelligent, but very ignorant of the wider world.

I would love to see her at a press conference with the foreign press who will ask her very detailed questions about things that matter in their neck of the woods.

As I said before, I am sure she is getting a crash course. I am also certain you will get at least one major gaffe, if not more, from her before the election, unless she completely ducks every question asked of her outside of a few chosen interviews, in which she knows what questions will be asked ahead of time.

Findog
09-10-2008, 01:31 PM
an aide told the journalists on board that all Palin flights would be off the record unless the media were told otherwise.

Why "cover" her under these conditions? Get some balls, press.

Findog
09-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Here's the thing that upsets me the most: Palin has been a national political figure for 2 weeks. Very few people outside of Alaska or far right-wing circles know anything about her. We have a right to see her fully vetted so we as voters can make an informed decision about whether or not we want her a 72-yr-old heartbeat away from the presidency. That doesn't mean I want lurid details about her daughter's pregnancy or photos of the tard baby in People. The press is doing a disgraceful job of letting the McCain camp get all of the benefits of picking an outsider and not facing any potential negative consequences, which is that undecideds might not like her if they get more exposure.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
....with teleprompter in place.

Anti.Hero
09-10-2008, 01:35 PM

lmao no he can't...

When that mack daddy hack isn't stumbling through his uhss uh uh, he can barely put together a sentence in under 1 minute. Then, most of it just contradicts past statements or rattles off catch phrases of hope, change, more of the same, and other retard chants.

You libtards are so amazed at his teleprompter preacher skills that you can't even see it. How funny.

Anti.Hero
09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
don't forget religious wacko and cunt.

The issue is she has no idea what the fuck she's talking about because she's some redneck from Alaska.

and then statements like this...

Viva Las Espuelas
09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
i'm not sure if this would be x y or z

ACmxd2ZVkLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACmxd2ZVkLM

MsMcGillyCutty
09-10-2008, 01:40 PM
lmao no he can't...

When that mack daddy hack isn't stumbling through his uhss uh uh, he can barely put together a sentence in under 1 minute. Then, most of it just contradicts past statements or rattles off catch phrases of hope, change, more of the same, and other retard chants.

You libtards are so amazed at his teleprompter preacher skills that you can't even see it. How funny.

Are you really that stupid or do you just act stupid on the internet?

Anti.Hero
09-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Are you really that stupid or do you just act stupid on the internet?

That belief you have of my stupidity, I have it for you.

Who's right, who's wrong?

RandomGuy
09-10-2008, 03:50 PM
....with teleprompter in place.

:lol

I *knew* that was coming.

RandomGuy
09-10-2008, 03:54 PM
lmao no he can't...

uh

yeah.

Tell me again, how many of his full speeches have you listened to?

Viva Las Espuelas
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
uh

yeah.

Tell me again, how many of his full speeches have you listened to?

with or without teleprompters?

Wild Cobra
09-10-2008, 05:35 PM

Stupid question. I assume you expect full access for everyone when she has better things to do.

This was such a shock to everyone. I'm sure she has better things to do than grant interviews with reportes, especially whan most are clearly biased for Obama!

Typical libtard:

"I want it now mommy." "wahhh, Wahhhhhh."

Grow up and wait. I'm sure she will be willing and capable of answering the tough questions.

Interesting and incorrect conclusion. Please stop believing the headlines and do some intellectual thinking. He voted 90% of the time with the president. Did you know Obama voted about 85% of the time with the president using the same criteria?

Think about what these numbers mean for a moment.

Of all the legislation passed by congress, McCain voted yes 90% of the time for those that didn't get vetoed. Include in the 90% number McCain voting NO on legislation passed that president Bush vetoed.

Wild Cobra
09-10-2008, 05:51 PM
i'm not sure if this would be x y or z

ACmxd2ZVkLM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACmxd2ZVkLM

Oh.. My.. God..

I thought this was impossible.

Without a teleprompter, he's worse than president Bush!

Damn, he makes pesident Bush look good. Doesn't he!

No way that Sarah will do that bad. No way in hell!