PDA

View Full Version : Merriman to undergo surgery, to be placed on injured reserve

lefty
09-09-2008, 06:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3578588

San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman's season is over after trying to play the season opener Sunday with two torn knee ligaments.

Sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen Tuesday the Chargers will announce shortly that Merriman is being placed on injured reserve to undergo total reconstructive knee surgery that will include the repair of his lateral collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments.

The knee problem dates back to the end of the 2007 season.

Merriman has tears in both the posterior cruciate and lateral collateral ligaments in his left knee, which he hurt in a game at Tennessee in December. After seeking outside opinions, four doctors told Merriman he needed surgery, but there "just wasn't a time frame on that. My knee still looks pretty good. The decision was left up to me to play. If you give a football player a decision to play, you know, I'm going to play."

Before the season started, Merriman decided to play rather than have his damaged left knee repaired.

"To be as simple as possible, I just want to play football," Merriman said previously. "That's what it comes down to. I know what's on the table, I know what's on the line. I put a lot of work in this and I want to play."

He'll likely be looking at a rehab of six to seven months.

With his nonstop energy and spasmodic sack dance, the player known as "Lights Out" has been the face of the Chargers' defense the past three seasons. He has 39½ sacks in that span, more than any other NFL player. He's played in three straight Pro Bowls.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Sense
09-09-2008, 06:37 PM
What a moron..

ducks
09-09-2008, 06:48 PM
well he did try
the bad thing is now all the good people are gone

2centsworth
09-09-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm just happy he finally came to his senses.

monosylab1k
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
He's got a lot of heart, I'll give him that....but he's dumb as a brick. Good thing the team finally forced him to do this.

I guarantee you this is a direct reaction to the Brady injury. Now that the Pats aren't really contenders, the Chargers don't have to risk playing Merriman. They already own the Colts so in their minds the road to the Super Bowl is pretty easy.

Unfortunately for them the Chargers won't make the playoffs.

Evan
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
He's only 24 right?

SAtown
09-09-2008, 08:14 PM
well he did try
the bad thing is now all the good people are gone

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you the person who said Manu is an idiot for playing in the Olympics?

Taco
09-10-2008, 07:39 AM
I'm just happy he finally came to his senses.

Yeppers

DBryant88
09-10-2008, 08:04 AM
go d-ware

stretch
09-10-2008, 08:15 AM
good. he didnt need to take a chance at completely screwing up his future.

MajorMike
09-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Supposedly, a bud of mine in SD says there is a lot of hatin' going on because he got hurt last year and should have gotten surgery immediately or as soon as the season was over for him, but refused and thought it would get better.

IronMexican
09-10-2008, 09:56 AM
He wasn't the same anyways.

ducks
09-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you the person who said Manu is an idiot for playing in the Olympics?

he is paid to play in the nfl not the olumpics big difference
also olympics are suppose to be for amatues

Fabbs
09-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Supposedly, a bud of mine in SD says there is a lot of hatin' going on because he got hurt last year and should have gotten surgery immediately or as soon as the season was over for him, but refused and thought it would get better.
Which might have made him available for this years playoffs. Certainly would have allowed his roster spot to be filled.

I'm not questioning his motives, but i do wonder if there is something more to this then the media has reported. Does his contract have some sort of money deal that required him to appear in an '08 game?

MajorMike
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Next year is the final year of his contract. Most likley he will not be 100% during that year while getting back up to speed. Players like to be at their best statistically in the negotiating year.

That and SD just signed his backup to a 5-year extention. One of 6 players to get an extension, by the way, from them in the off season - but SM wasn't one of them.