PDA

View Full Version : I need some free veterinary advice...

balli
09-09-2008, 10:16 PM
So is tlong really the forum's animal expert? Like is he a vet? Can I really ask him anything I want while expecting an informed response? Or is the sheep symbol emblematic of nothing other than the oft lewd reference to sheep ownership?

tlong- if you're a vet, do you mind answering a couple questions for me? If anybody else out there is a vet, would you mind?

ShoogarBear
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
tlong's your man for probing questions.

Trainwreck2100
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
So is tlong really the forum's animal expert? Like is he a vet? Can I really ask him anything I want while expecting an informed response? Or is the sheep symbol emblematic of nothing other than the oft lewd reference to sheep ownership?

tlong- if you're a vet, do you mind answering a couple questions for me? If anybody else out there is a vet, would you mind?

:lol

:lmao

:rollin

balli
09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
I knew I was taking my chances with this thread, but my dog's fucked up and I'm really desperate for some advice before I go drop hundreds of dollars.

Trainwreck2100
09-09-2008, 10:22 PM
have you googled anything, maybe there is an onhealth for animals somewhere.

ShoogarBear
09-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I think the closest thing we have to a dog expert is jman.

Seriously, what's up with your dog? Chances are somebody's had a similar experience, even if they aren't a vet.

mrsmaalox
09-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I believe LuvBones is working as a veterinary technician.

balli
09-09-2008, 10:38 PM
have you googled anything, maybe there is an onhealth for animals somewhere.
Yeah, but I didn't find much.

If anybody is qualified to answer- here's the deal:

A couple months ago my 5 yr old golden retriever jumped off my bed and in the process dislocated his right shoulder. He was in serious, serious pain so I fashioned a papoose/stretcher out of a blanket and took him to the vet. They popped the shoulder back in and took some x-rays, upon which time they told me that from an orthopedic perspective he looked great. They said he'd have a little swelling a pain for a few days and then should be back to normal.

Anyway, after that I didn't think twice, but for the past couple of days he's been whining every so often when he stands up or makes a sudden move. He instantly starts to favor his left leg and although he doesn't seem to be in as much pain as the first time, he's still pretty hurt. I'll give him an hour and a massage and he'll appear to be back to normal- he'll run, he'll play with other dogs, he'll jump up and down from my bed like it was nothing. And then all of a sudden he'll tweak it again and start crying. It's like he's spraining his shoulder and instantly healing within an hour, only to sprain it again a few hours later.

I'm really not looking to drop another $300 bucks on another x-ray or some sort of dog MRI that could diagnose a tissue injury, so I'm wondering if anybody has any advice or experience with recurring injuries resulting
from an initial dislocation. If it's something that will just go away on it's own I'll let it, but it's been a few days and although it doesn't seem to be happening anymore frequently, it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Anyway, I figured if it happens again, I'll take him into the vet tomorrow, but I thought I'd check here to see if anybody has any advice first. So, if you do, I'd greatly, greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

LuvBones
09-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Bali, if the x-rays didn't show anything wrong with the bones that's good, but it could still be a ligament or muscle that's messed up. You have to keep your dog restrained for some time. He can't be running around and jumping all over the place because it needs time to heal. The Dr. I work for is holistic and sees many dogs with the same issue as yours. She'd probably want to do some acupuncture on it and maybe give some muscle relaxers and/or pain relievers if you want. I don't know if you're interested in a holistic approach, but I have seen her work on dogs that could barely use their back legs, and after a couple of sessions they are able to walk fine. Just something to think about... if you want more info. let me know.

Another thing you can do in the meantime is put a cold pack on for 20 min. then off, and switch to warm pack/cold/warm/cold. And stretching that arm out would help a lot too. I hope your dog feels better soon. :)

duncan228
09-09-2008, 10:53 PM
Sorry your dog is in pain ballijuana.

I don't have vet advice but I have dealt with vets in trying to keep costs down. If the dog has a known problem with this shoulder already you might not need a lot of expensive tests. The question I ask is "What will the test show that would change treatment?" That way you may be able to treat the pain without tests and without putting your dog at any risk of missing a diagnosis.

If the vet does a physical exam and doesn't have to have tests to find something, don't let them sell you tests.

Obviously, if there could be something else going on you may have to have tests. The bottom line for me with my animals has been to be pro-active in talking to the vet and making sure I'm not sold tests just because they can do it. I make sure it will matter in the treatment.

Good luck, I hope your dog is okay. I had a Golden for 12 years, he was wonderful. They've got the best personalities. Puppy brains for life.

EDIT: I just read LuvBones post. Use her advice when you talk to your vet. Ask if you can do things like ice and stretching and pain meds and see how your dog does. You can always go back for tests if your first approach doesn't help.

balli
09-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Thanks LuvBones. Thanks 228- I actually am interested in a holistic approach and if I do take him in (if I can do it for a reasonable price) I'll definitely consider trying to find a good holistic place in the Salt Lake area. I haven't had acupuncture myself, but I'm very into the eastern approach to medicine, so I'll keep it in mind. And if I just go to his regular vet (who's actually pretty good and hippie-ish already)- I'll take your advice 228 and ask the exact question you posed. I've actually got some Remadil tm(painkiller) that I've been giving him and I'll put on some ice while trying to do a better job of keeping him inactive. It's tough though, he's one of those dogs that literally drags me to his leash and although I haven't been walking him, he's been compensating by running laps around the living room. Maybe I should be giving him more of the Remadil :lol.

And yes, I used to be a die-hard lab man, but after owning this awesome dog I can only conclude that goldens rule!

Thanks again everybody.

CuckingFunt
09-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I've never tried acupuncture for my pets, mostly because I've not found it available in my area. And I adore my regular vet office anyway. But I've had several treatments myself (my aunt is an acupuncturist), and am completely sold on its effectiveness in general.

Brutalis
09-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Aww poor dog.

My dog was lost last week, I really got scared and a lot of interesting events happened in the process.

Hope he gets to feeling better. :tu

balli
09-10-2008, 12:16 AM
I've never tried acupuncture for my pets, mostly because I've not found it available in my area. And I adore my regular vet office anyway. But I've had several treatments myself (my aunt is an acupuncturist), and am completely sold on its effectiveness in general.

I've been looking some stuff up. Forget the dog, I'm starting think it's paramount that I get me myself into an acupuncturist, asap.

Aww poor dog.

My dog was lost last week, I really got scared and a lot of interesting events happened in the process.

Hope he gets to feeling better. :tu

:lol, So I read. Thanks homie.

CuckingFunt
09-10-2008, 12:57 AM
I've been looking some stuff up. Forget the dog, I'm starting think it's paramount that I get me myself into an acupuncturist, asap.

I wouldn't let her do it for a long time, but now I love it. I've had back problems since I was a teenager (made worse by a nasty car accident a couple of years ago) and asthma since I was three. My aunt has done treatments for both, and it helps tremendously. Helped my sister recover quickly from a broken ankle a couple years ago, too.

PakiDan
09-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Ball, My Daschund injured his back legs a few weeks ago. He was in obvious pain and couldn't jump. I cut an aspirin in half and put it in a hot dog weiner. I gave him a half aspirin twice a day. After the first day he was walking up the stairs again. After a few days, his pain was completely gone. This really helped with swelling and his discomfort.

JudynTX
09-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I hope your doggy gets better. :( I just spent $600+ on my cat's ear surgery. :depressed

duncan228
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Let us know what happened ballijuana.

tlongII
09-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I am SOOO sorry I didn't see this thread earlier! It is true, I AM the forum's animal expert and you CAN ask me anything! I recommend whacking your dog in the left shoulder. This should stop him from favoring his right shoulder in the future. I have a remedy for dog bites as well.

CosmicCowboy
09-10-2008, 03:14 PM
If you don't want to spend money on your dog then just take him out behind the barn and shoot him.

ORION
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Ball, My Daschund injured his back legs a few weeks ago. He was in obvious pain and couldn't jump. I cut an aspirin in half and put it in a hot dog weiner. I gave him a half aspirin twice a day. After the first day he was walking up the stairs again. After a few days, his pain was completely gone. This really helped with swelling and his discomfort.

I have a piebald Daschund. They kick ass and they attack everyone and anything

I. Hustle
09-10-2008, 03:29 PM
http://www.unconfirmedsources.com/nucleus/media/21/20070830-vicoldyeller.jpg

IronMexican
09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I am SOOO sorry I didn't see this thread earlier! It is true, I AM the forum's animal expert and you CAN ask me anything! I recommend whacking your dog in the left shoulder. This should stop him from favoring his right shoulder in the future. I have a remedy for dog bites as well.

:lol:lol:lol:rollin

AlamoSpursFan
09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I have a piebald Daschund. They kick ass and they attack everyone and anything

We have a plain old brown shorthair weiner. He's a stealth attack dog. We have to lock him up when we have company because he has this funny (I think, anyways) little habit of biting the crap out of stranger's ankles for no apparent reason and without apparent provocation.

Strike
09-10-2008, 09:17 PM

:lmao

Funniest thing I've read all day.

balli
09-10-2008, 10:15 PM

I'm an aspirin man, so I'll keep that in mind. The Remadil I've been giving him ain't cheap and probably isn't much better, so I think I'll take your advice and start subbing in some aspirin. Glad to hear it got your dachshund back on his feet. Thanks Paki.

Let us know what happened ballijuana.
I didn't take him in today and so far tonight he's been doing okay (keeping fingers crossed). But if there are any new developments I'll post them.

Thank you everybody for the empathy and suggestions.

Long Live Magnum Gabriel
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9203/magnumgabrielob0.jpg