View Full Version : Cleveland fans have had it with King James' Antics

Allanon
09-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Article from ESPN....
Should really be called "New York here I come!"
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3578795

LeBron's out-of-town loyalties rub some Cleveland fans the wrong way

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0909/nfl_a_lebron_pacman_300.jpg

CLEVELAND -- LeBron James may raise the ire of local fans by wearing a New York Yankees cap or cheering for the Dallas Cowboys, but another of the city's biggest sports stars isn't bothered by the NBA icon's out-of-town loyalties.

As far as Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards is concerned, James can root, root, root for any team he wishes.

LeBron James and new Cowboy Adam "Pacman" Jones share a moment on the sidelines before Dallas took on the Browns in Cleveland.

"I give him credit for being loyal," Edwards said Tuesday.

On Sunday, James, who last season showed up at an Indians playoff game against New York sporting a Yankees cap, was on Dallas' sideline during pregame warmups before the Browns' season opener against the Cowboys. In full view of Browns players, James, again wearing the Yankees cap and a blue-and-silver T-shirt, chatted with Dallas owner Jerry Jones and hugged Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens and cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones.

James has pledged an allegiance to America's Team since he was a kid.

"It didn't bother me," Edwards said. "As I've gotten to know LeBron, LeBron isn't a Cleveland guy. LeBron only plays for the Cavaliers, and who knows if he even likes the Cavaliers? He doesn't like the Indians. He doesn't like the Browns. He's a guy from Akron who likes everybody but his hometown.

"I don't know how that's possible, but it is what it is, and he is who he is. You know, it's LeBron."

Some Cleveland fans have had it with James' antics and a few of them were heard screaming so at the Cavs' All-Star, who helped the U.S. Olympic basketball team win a gold medal in Beijing last month.

James has been labeled traitorous for his affection for non-Cleveland sports teams. He also grew up rooting for the Chicago Bulls.

In Tuesday's Plain Dealer, columnist Phillip Morris questioned James' decision to flaunt his affinity for other teams any chance he gets.

"Does Cavaliers superstar James really hate Cleveland that much?" Morris asked. "Does the anointed one really think we're all a bunch of losers? If not, why does No. 23 go out of his way to show his disdain for professional sports teams in Cleveland that don't involve rims and orange balls?

"It makes you wonder whether he really likes you. I suppose it could be worse: He could be a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. But that sort of nonsense would make his life difficult in Cleveland. I guess we have no choice but to count our blessings and simply celebrate our Yankee-loving-Cowboy-hugging-global icon until he divorces us and takes his game somewhere else."

James has two years remaining on a contract extension he signed with the Cavaliers in July 2006. His affection for New York has prompted speculation that he intends to sign with either the Knicks or the New Jersey Nets, who are partly owned by his good friend, rap mogul Jay-Z.

stretch
09-10-2008, 08:11 AM
dumb fans

who cares who he roots for? his job is to play basketball at the highest level he can for the Cavaliers, and he damn sure is doing that.

TheMadHatter
09-10-2008, 08:22 AM
The worst part about it is Lebron is actually FROM Ohio. Fucking traitor.

E20
09-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't care if he roots for teams outside of his state or whatever, who really cares? But what is funny is that those two teams are bandwagon teams for frontrunners LOL. What's his favorite basketball team? LA or BOS?

koriwhat
09-10-2008, 09:36 AM
this sort of crap is news? god i wish i went into journalism in college.

stretch
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM

some of the stupidest shit you have ever said here.

hater
09-10-2008, 12:09 PM
ohio ppl don't seem too bright.

Anti.Hero
09-10-2008, 12:10 PM
What a bandwagoner :lol

Obstructed_View
09-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Most people watching sports over the last 20 years root for some combination of the Bulls, the Yankees and the Cowboys. People from Ohio should go ahead and get bent out of shape over something so fucking stupid, and they'll lose Lebron for nothing and will get to suck for another 20 years while the next great player from Ohio grows up rooting for someone else's team.

dirk4mvp
09-10-2008, 01:00 PM

do you have to root for the teams from where you're from?

DPG21920
09-10-2008, 01:16 PM

Do not listen to MadHatter. You should go back and read the Kobe forgoes surgery thread to find out why...

I hope Lebron leaves

Brutalis
09-10-2008, 02:27 PM
So LBJ roots for the most popular teams. What's new?

JamStone
09-10-2008, 02:47 PM

So Kobe is a traitor as well. He's from Philadelphia but has said he has always loved the Lakers and always wanted to be part of the Lakers organization since he was a kid. Fucking traitor.

MWILL
09-10-2008, 03:15 PM
What a bandwagoner :lol

Yo Anti, love the Phelps skit. :lol:lol:lol

xtremesteven33
09-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I wouldnt doubt that Lebron is hinting that he wants to join the Knicks or Nets.

Im a big believer in people "hiding things in plain view" and Lebron is doing exactly that with his NY shoes and the NYY caps.

i get a hunch hes going to join the Knicks.

rj215
09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Would Cleveland fans prefer that he plays for the Knicks/Nets and roots for the Browns and Indians?

Obstructed_View
09-10-2008, 07:01 PM
I wonder which city has a bigger inferiority complex between Cleveland and Philadelphia. I've never heard about it being much of a big deal that Tom Brady is a Yankees fan, and nobody hates the Yankees more than Boston. Shit, most people in Cleveland don't like the fucking Indians, and the Browns have sucked so long it's a wonder anyone roots for them.

ShoogarBear
09-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Good thing he hasn't told them yet that the only college he would have gone to is Michigan.

timvp
09-10-2008, 07:17 PM
I know a few Spurs fans who hated Malik Rose because he was an Eagles fan.

It's funny how San Antonio is such a hardcore Dallas Cowboys city when Jerry Jones is the man most responsible for the fact that San Antonio will never get an NFL team ... but that's probably a topic for a different thread.

JamStone
09-10-2008, 07:30 PM
Good thing he hasn't told them yet that the only college he would have gone to is Michigan.

LeBron is an anti-Ohio communist. I bet you he doesn't even use any Proctor & Gamble products. Plus, he prefers Six Flags over Cedar Point or King's Island. That fucking Russian.

wireonfire
09-10-2008, 07:44 PM

I don't think Kobe particularly likes his hometown, Philadelphia, either.

ChuckD
09-10-2008, 08:16 PM
Cleveland will find out JUST how much he hates the town in just under two years.

Strike
09-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Some Cleveland fans have had it with James' antics

Don't worry, Cleveland fan. He'll be gone as soon as his contract is up. You won't have to deal with him much longer. :lol

Tully365
09-11-2008, 12:25 AM
LeBron's a grown man and can root for whoever he wants. I'm sure the fact that some hysterical fans get mad over such stupid things is of no interest to him. Why should rooting for a team be limited to something as arbitrary and minor as geography? If you are a fan of a sport and understand that sport, it makes much more sense to root for teams that employ the best approach and philosophy to the sport. I split my time between New York and Arizona. I would never root for Dolan, Isiah, Zach, and Marbury-- their approach to the game goes against everything I believe in as a basketball fan. I also couldn't root for Phoenix, a team that has thought for five years that defense is secondary. Why would you waste your time arguing that your home team is the greatest if they don't even play a style that is appealing to you? That makes no sense. That's the very definition of Homerism. It's basically saying : I am incapable of any objectivity at all and my view of the world is entirely decided by where I happen to live. Or, to simplify it, it's like bragging that you are stupid.

Whatever meatheads are criticizing LeBron now will be the same ones defending him to the death and claiming he's the greatest player that ever lived if he just so happens to sign in their hometown two years from now.

dbreiden83080
09-11-2008, 12:35 AM
He can root for whoever the hell he wants. I live in NY and i am a Die Hard Spurs fan. I plunk down the 180 bucks for the league pass every year so i don't miss a single Spurs game. Nobody is going to tell me i am not a true fan because i don't live in SA or that i should be a Knicks fan because i live in NY.

koriwhat
09-11-2008, 01:35 AM

i didn't like him because he was lazy and one day i ended up walking side by side with him on our way out of a strip club when the next day he had a game to play. not professional at all! fuck malik and his shitty philly cheesestakes!

KidCongo
09-11-2008, 03:05 AM
He is all for Akron rather than Cleveland.

angelbelow
09-11-2008, 03:18 AM
smart for the fans to start accepting it now.

mrspurs
09-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Everyone knew Lebron wasnt gonna stay in Cleveland. He wants a Championship, and thats not gonna happen in Ohio. Picture this Lebron and Kobe a hollywood story. The lakers I believe would give up Bynum or Gasol for Lebron. Thats hollywood for ya. If he chooses the Knicks he knows he wont win one there either.

koriwhat
09-11-2008, 10:58 AM
If he chooses the Knicks he knows he wont win one there either.

yeah but with the nets he possibly can but not immediately. yi, harris, lebron... i'd consider that a threat like our big3.

xtremesteven33
09-11-2008, 11:09 AM
I would think that Lebron would want to avoid the lakers. i cant envision him in a Lakers uniform. plus i thin hes already had his eyes fixated on the Big Apple.

I can definitely see Lebron in a Knicks Jersey.

JamStone
09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
The Nets have a much better shot at LeBron than the Knicks. LeBron is friends with Devin Harris, the Nets are stockpiling all sorts of young and athletic big men who can either score or can get up and down the court, and they've cleared up cap space for the summer of 2010. That doesn't even take into account his relationship with Nets minority shareholder, Jay-Z. However people want to discredit the connection, it's tangible.

urunobili
09-11-2008, 11:32 AM

It's funny how San Antonio is such a hardcore Dallas Cowboys city when Jerry Jones is the man most responsible for the fact that San Antonio will never get an NFL team ... but that's probably a topic for a different thread.

wow... this is something i always wanted to ask... thanks timvp... what am i going to do with my signed Dorsey HOF'er authentic jersey now? :depressed.... because of the Mavs i have learned to hate all Dallas based teams... :p:

Biernutz
09-11-2008, 07:23 PM
La is gone --Cleveland should just get ready for what is going to happen. He roots for the Skankees and the Cowboys. He dosent say anything long term when he talks about the Cav's. If Danny Ferry was smart he would trade him now for some good players so he would get something for him before he walks. Is there anyone in Cleveland who thinks he will stay?

Allanon
09-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Back then, LeBron was all about staying with the Cavs. But over the last year, he's been pretty much non-committal whenever he talks about his future.

I don't doubt that he's going to be a Knick, a Net, a Heat or a Laker in that order.

As for trading LeBron to a small market team, it won't happen because he'll pretty much tell the potential team I'm going to play this year and then I'm gone.

The most likely situation will be the Cavs work a sign and trade deal with LeBron and the Knicks or Nets. That way the Cavs will get something back in return although LeBron won't allow them to gut the team.

There's no way in hell that LeBron just walks.

rj215
09-11-2008, 08:56 PM
If/When Lebron leaves how long before Danny Ferry is fired? I think the begining of the end was when he overpaid for an overrated Larry Hughes.

Allanon
09-15-2008, 08:17 AM
From some Cleveland sports Q&A:

Q: Is James is starting to wear himself out in Cleveland?

A: James is bigger and better than Cleveland. He makes a point of letting you know that. With that first billion in sight he is starting to cut ties. By the end of it the fans won't mind.

It certainly does seem like Bron Bron is purposely trying to yank the chains of the Cleveland fans. Maybe all this out of town team love is a part of his grand exit plan.

century
09-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Cowboys, Yankees, Bulls...looks like LeBron is a fan of any team as long as it was dominant in its game sometime during his lifetime. Reminds me of the morons in San Antonio who used to don the ugly-ass Heat clothing after they lucked into a championship. Except that you don't see a single Heat fan advertising himself these days. :rollin

JamStone
09-15-2008, 10:52 AM
So the guy grew up being a fan of winners. The problem is? If your hometown teams suck, it's probably better to follow other teams. Or better yet, being a fan of losers would show much more loyalty. I guess he should have been a Clippers fan and Royals fan and Lions fan growing up.

century
09-15-2008, 02:23 PM
So the guy grew up being a fan of winners. The problem is? If your hometown teams suck, it's probably better to follow other teams. Or better yet, being a fan of losers would show much more loyalty. I guess he should have been a Clippers fan and Royals fan and Lions fan growing up.

Spoken like a true descendant of the african kings and queens... :rollin

FanSPURSatic
09-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Get over it. It's not even the same sport. Cleveland fans are just scared of the inevitable.

Spur-Addict
09-16-2008, 07:17 AM
dumb fans

who cares who he roots for? his job is to play basketball at the highest level he can for the Cavaliers, and he damn sure is doing that.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

You certainly do not. If you happen to like a particular team, just because they are good doesn't imply you are a bandwagon. There are all sorts of of explanations, and he doesn't have to prove shit to anyone. Well he does, just on the court.