PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Watkins Going To Be At Training Camp?

duncan228
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I have no idea whether this is fact or not. The poster has more detail on his impressions of Watkins. I didn't know how much of the post to put here, hit the link for the rest.

I don't know much about Watkins, any thoughts on what he could bring to the court for us?

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=837612

I talked to the agent of center Darryl Watkins today, and he said that Watkins is going to camp with the Spurs.

Bruno
09-10-2008, 11:54 AM
I've watched him play a couple of times with the D-Fenders.
He is a strong, athletic and has great size. He is a good defender and shot blocker. He hasn't a lot of offensive skills.

For a training camp invite, it's a quality signing. Spurs could decide to keep him over Tolliver as 6th bigman.

Ocotillo
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Nice find. Sound interesting but it appears this is going to be a hard team to make unless someone is shipped out.

duncan228
09-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the first-hand info Bruno. I'm so ready for training camp to start.

mrspurs
09-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I've watched him play a couple of times with the D-Fenders.
He is a strong, athletic and has great size. He is a good defender and shot blocker. He hasn't a lot of offensive skills.

For a training camp invite, it's a quality signing. Spurs could decide to keep him over Tolliver as 6th bigman.

Now this is the guy noone is talking about. Tolliver was so impressing he got signed real quick. He played better the Ian and Hill. Dont forget he's big,wide and quick as heck for his size. He can also shoot from all over the court. One thing is for sure, his feet dont stay glued to the ground like Ian's. I honestly think this guy was the FO's lucky grab.

Biggems
09-10-2008, 08:28 PM
I knew I recognized the name....had to go look him up and I saw that he went to Syracuse.

He is an athletic speciman with a nice wingspan, but he is raw.

I would be quite happy to bring him into training camp to compete for a roster spot.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Wasn't he on the Spurs summer league roster?

Steve-O-Matic
09-10-2008, 09:28 PM
I saw him at Syracuse and he has no chance of making this team. He has decent size and athleticism, but limited basketball ability (particularly by NBA standards) - there's a reason he's looking for work despite being a relatively athletic 'big.' He blocked some shots at the college level and he can bang, but he's a liability on offense and by no means is he a stopper on D. I hope he enjoys his cup of coffee here.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-10-2008, 11:19 PM
:lmao

sad

angelbelow
09-10-2008, 11:27 PM
interesting, but probably wont make the time.

outmap
09-11-2008, 03:07 AM
Watkins played in the Philippines. I don't think he will be helpful, he's not even good enough when he played here.

timtonymanu
09-11-2008, 04:16 AM
it's worth a shot.. but i dont see him making the team.

Bruno
09-11-2008, 05:01 AM
http://www.syracuse.com/sports/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1221123337261430.xml&coll=1

Watkins lands with Spurs

Open-gym workouts in San Antonio pay off in two-year deal for ex-SU center.
Thursday, September 11, 2008

By Mike Waters
Staff writer

After playing for the Los Angeles Clippers in the NBA's Las Vegas summer league and then joining the Dallas Mavericks' summer league team in the Rocky Mountain Review in Salt Lake City, Darryl Watkins could have gone home and hoped for an NBA team to call.

Instead, Watkins started commuting between his home in New Jersey and San Antonio. Four days a week, the Spurs held open-gym workouts. For Watkins, it was just another chance to put himself in front of NBA executives.

On Wednesday, Watkins' agent said the former Syracuse University center was on the verge of signing a two-year partially guaranteed deal with the Spurs.

"I think it's a great situation for him," Reggie Brown of Chicago-based Priority Sports said Wednesday. "San Antonio is a great organization from top to bottom. It's the perfect situation for Darryl to realize his NBA dream."

Watkins' NBA dream took a couple detours last season. Watkins, who played for Syracuse from 2003 to 2007, was an undrafted free agent after his senior season. He signed with the Sacramento Kings and appeared in nine games for the Kings, averaging 1.3 points and 1.3 rebounds. But Sacramento released him on Dec. 10.

Watkins spent the rest of the 2007-08 season in the NBA's Development League, splitting the year with the Los Angeles D-Fenders and the Iowa Energy.

Watkins hit the summer league circuit in search of another NBA opportunity, but it was the decision to spend the second-half of his summer in San Antonio that resulted in the contract with the Spurs.

"It's been a great experience," Watkins said by telephone from San Antonio Wednesday night. He said he has gone up against Tim Duncan on a couple occasions. "I came down here for an open gym and it ended up turning into something else. It's been a real positive for me."

His experience in the D-League last season wasn't as positive.

"It was pretty difficult starting out in the (NBA) and then having to go to the D-League," Watkins said. "I had to cope with that and try to make it work."

Brown said he had received "several lucrative offers" from professional teams overseas, but he had been holding out for an NBA deal.

"The NBA is his dream," Brown said. "I feel like Darryl's getting better every year and if there's a time to take a gamble on yourself, it's while you're young. He wanted the chance to play in the NBA. The overseas opportunities, hopefully, will still be there if things don't work out."

San Antonio has 13 players signed to guaranteed or partially guaranteed contracts. The NBA limit is 15 players, although teams can carry just 12 players on their active roster during the season. The Spurs begin their preseason training camp on Oct. 1.

"It's a good situation because I'm with a great organization," Watkins said, "and it's great to be back in the league with a team that looks like they're interested in having me on their team for the entire season."

Bruno
09-11-2008, 05:06 AM
Wasn't he on the Spurs summer league roster?

It was Jameel Watkins.

Watkins played in the Philippines. I don't think he will be helpful, he's not even good enough when he played here.

Jameel Watkins played in the Philippines. I don't think Darryl Watkins played there.

timvp
09-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Nice finds in this thread.

I saw Watkins play a couple times in preseason and I was impressed with his hustle. He's pretty physical and throws around his body. I saw him again in summer league and he didn't look that good. I don't know if he has NBA talent but for a training camp invite, he's better than average.

I'm not sure who this could be bad for. Maybe Tolliver but they are much different players. Tolliver and Bonner seem like the two that could be fighting for one position.

If anyone, Watkins seems like he'd be brought it to compete against Mahinmi. It wouldn't be unthinkable that the Spurs could trade away Mahinmi if a training camp invite beats him out.

Chances are though that Watkins got ~20-40K guaranteed and will be waived at some point before the season.

hsxvvd
09-11-2008, 08:05 AM
http://www.syracuse.com/sports/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1221123337261430.xml&coll=1

Watkins lands with Toros

Open-gym workouts in San Antonio pay off in two-year deal for ex-SU center.
Thursday, September 11, 2008

By Mike Waters
Staff writer

After playing for the Los Angeles Clippers in the NBA's Las Vegas summer league and then joining the Dallas Mavericks' summer league team in the Rocky Mountain Review in Salt Lake City, Darryl Watkins could have gone home and hoped for an NBA team to call.

Instead, Watkins started commuting between his home in New Jersey and San Antonio. Four days a week, the Spurs held open-gym workouts. For Watkins, it was just another chance to put himself in front of NBA executives.

On Wednesday, Watkins' agent said the former Syracuse University center was on the verge of signing a two-year partially guaranteed deal with the Spurs.

"I think it's a great situation for him," Reggie Brown of Chicago-based Priority Sports said Wednesday. "San Antonio is a great organization from top to bottom. It's the perfect situation for Darryl to realize his NBA dream."

Watkins' NBA dream took a couple detours last season. Watkins, who played for Syracuse from 2003 to 2007, was an undrafted free agent after his senior season. He signed with the Sacramento Kings and appeared in nine games for the Kings, averaging 1.3 points and 1.3 rebounds. But Sacramento released him on Dec. 10.

Watkins spent the rest of the 2007-08 season in the NBA's Development League, splitting the year with the Los Angeles D-Fenders and the Iowa Energy.

Watkins hit the summer league circuit in search of another NBA opportunity, but it was the decision to spend the second-half of his summer in San Antonio that resulted in the contract with the Spurs.

"It's been a great experience," Watkins said by telephone from San Antonio Wednesday night. He said he has gone up against Tim Duncan on a couple occasions. "I came down here for an open gym and it ended up turning into something else. It's been a real positive for me."

His experience in the D-League last season wasn't as positive.

"It was pretty difficult starting out in the (NBA) and then having to go to the D-League," Watkins said. "I had to cope with that and try to make it work."

Brown said he had received "several lucrative offers" from professional teams overseas, but he had been holding out for an NBA deal.

"The NBA is his dream," Brown said. "I feel like Darryl's getting better every year and if there's a time to take a gamble on yourself, it's while you're young. He wanted the chance to play in the NBA. The overseas opportunities, hopefully, will still be there if things don't work out."

San Antonio has 13 players signed to guaranteed or partially guaranteed contracts. The NBA limit is 15 players, although teams can carry just 12 players on their active roster during the season. The Spurs begin their preseason training camp on Oct. 1.

"It's a good situation because I'm with a great organization," Watkins said, "and it's great to be back in the league with a team that looks like they're interested in having me on their team for the entire season."

Fixed.

outmap
09-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Jameel Watkins played in the Philippines. I don't think Darryl Watkins played there.

My bad. I thought it was Jameel cause I saw him play with the spurs on the summer league.

:toast

SenorSpur
09-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I wonder if his contract is guaranteed. Or whether this is simply a training camp signing. Either way, I've been of the opinion that the Spurs could've used another big to help Duncan out with the suddenly, taller frontlines of the Western conference - and that was before Splitter spurned the Spurs.

I was on the Diop bandwagon until he was offered such a ridiculously, lucrative mid-level deal with the Mavs. Sounds like this Watkins kid may be a Diop starter kit. At any rate, I like the signing and hope he get a legitimate chance to stick.

duncan228
09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the news Bruno.

Bruno
09-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the news Bruno.

:toast

Bruno
09-11-2008, 11:03 AM
If anyone, Watkins seems like he'd be brought it to compete against Mahinmi. It wouldn't be unthinkable that the Spurs could trade away Mahinmi if a training camp invite beats him out.

One month ago...

Gist could have been caught in a numbers game if the Spurs think Hill and Mahinmi need more DLeague time ... which after summer league, wouldn't be surprising at all. If Hill and Mahinmi would have wowed, the Spurs wouldn't be looking at Pargo and signing Gist would have made more sense since the DLeague spots wouldn't be as cluttered.

Whatever happens, it is a sign that Mahinmi sucks for you... even if it means saying the exact opposite.
What's next ? Linking the pig and lipstick story with Mahinmi sucking ?

timvp
09-11-2008, 01:21 PM
One month ago...

Whatever happens, it is a sign that Mahinmi sucks for you... even if it means saying the exact opposite.
What's next ? Linking the pig and lipstick story with Mahinmi sucking ?

?

I apologize for not being a Mahinmi homer. I can be objective and say he played poorly in summer league, which may affect how the Spurs perceive him.

You think he's untradeable and laugh at the thought of him playing in DLeague? Despite your homerism, Mahinmi certainly has a lot to prove if he wishes to win a spot in the regular rotation. His uninspired and sub par summer league play didn't help matters.

*cue the Bruno "summer league doesn't matter, I love Mahinimi anyway!" take*

ducks
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
how many roster spots are open now
what is with hill

Bruno
09-11-2008, 02:17 PM
?

I apologize for not being a Mahinmi homer.

Stop playing the stupid guy who doesn't understand. :rolleyes

When Spurs didn't sign a project big (Gist), you see that as a hint that Spurs think that Mahinmi sucks.
When Spurs sign a project big (Watkins), you see that as a hint that Spurs think that Mahinmi sucks.

If you don't see where the problem is in your "logic", I can't do nothing for you.

I can be objective and say he played poorly in summer league, which may affect how the Spurs perceive him.

Darryl Watkins averaged 3.8ppg and 2.6rpg in Vegas this summer.

Solid D
09-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Instead, Watkins started commuting between his home in New Jersey and San Antonio. Four days a week, the Spurs held open-gym workouts. For Watkins, it was just another chance to put himself in front of NBA executives....

....Watkins hit the summer league circuit in search of another NBA opportunity, but it was the decision to spend the second-half of his summer in San Antonio that resulted in the contract with the Spurs.

An open gym 4 days per week in SA, and yet, apparently not open to Jeff McDonald, the local beat writer.

The Spurs signing another FA Big isn't that surprising. Watkins is probably this year's verson of Kris Lang.

timvp
09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
When Spurs didn't sign a project big (Gist), you see that as a hint that Spurs think that Mahinmi sucks.
When Spurs sign a project big (Watkins), you see that as a hint that Spurs think that Mahinmi sucks.

There is a big difference between Gist and Watkins. Gist, if signed, was likely going to make the team. Watkins is not going to make the team unless he beats someone out. Do you really see the Spurs keeping Thomas, Oberto, Bonner, Tolliver, Mahinmi and Watkins along with TD at the bigmen positions?

Three young bigs plus Gist in the pipeline seems excessive ... especially when Mahinmi, Watkins and Gist are all relatively similar players. For that reason, I think Mahinmi versus Watkins is the matchup we'll see for a roster spot. Mahinmi has a major advantage but I don't see another way for Watkins to make the team unless he outplays Mahinmi.

If you don't see where the problem is in your "logic", I can't do nothing for you.

Is Mahinmi untouchable or not? Do you hold firm on your previous opinion that Mahinmi will not only make the Spurs but stay on the active roster all year?

Just want to get your quote on paper . . .

Darryl Watkins averaged 3.8ppg and 2.6rpg in Vegas this summer.Yeah, I said that in this thread. He didn't look good in summer league. Then again, neither did Mahinmi and Mahinmi was being featured. Watkins was coming off the bench.

Solid D
09-11-2008, 03:01 PM
http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/77554508.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193B13C65DA735B6EF34589B0274334EC32 591E7EC1A351FC8B http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2008/09/large_mookie.jpg

DPG21920
09-11-2008, 03:14 PM
What is more important, Mahinmi's D-League play or his Summer League play? Even though Ian had a sub par SL, he was still 37th in scoring with 14 pts, 5th in rebounding with 9 a game. If 14 and 9 comes with playing uninspired then that is not all that bad.

You could argue that his play and determination he showed with the Toros was enough for the Spurs to say he deserves a chance. He might be bored and anxious, which would explain his "uninspired" SL performance. I highly doubt anyone, especially a rookie, will be competing with Ian for a roster spot. The only way I see Ian not being on the roster is if they trade for another veteran or get a solid piece by including him in a trade.

Bruno
09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
There is a big difference between Gist and Watkins. Gist, if signed, was likely going to make the team.

And I don't see how it makes your theory that Spurs not signing Gist and signing Watkins are both signs that Spurs thinks that Mahinmi suck.

I've understood that you think that Mahinmi is a scrub. I have no problem with that.
FACTS don't show that Spurs think like you (they also don't show that Spurs think than Mahinmi is a stud), just stop twisting them and making assumptions that whatever Spurs do, it's a sign that they are low on Mahinmi.

Watkins is not going to make the team unless he beats someone out. Do you really see the Spurs keeping Thomas, Oberto, Bonner, Tolliver, Mahinmi and Watkins along with TD at the bigmen positions?

Three young bigs plus Gist in the pipeline seems excessive ... especially when Mahinmi, Watkins and Gist are all relatively similar players. For that reason, I think Mahinmi versus Watkins is the matchup we'll see for a roster spot. Mahinmi has a major advantage but I don't see another way for Watkins to make the team unless he outplays Mahinmi.

Spurs usually keep 6 bigs, 5 on the active roster and 1 on IL (in Austin).
The way I see the situation is :
- Duncan, Oberto, Bonner, Thomas and Mahinmi will be on the active roster.
- Tolliver and Watkins will fight for the 6th spot.

IMHO, it's the more logical way to see the situation. Your assumption that eh fight will be between Mahinmi and Watkins because they are similar players makes few sense :
- Mahinmi and Watkins aren't that similar aside of being young and athletic.
- Given Spurs' weaknesses (old and unathletic). Having 2 young athletic bigs isn't a luxury.
- Bonner and Tolliver are very similar. If Spurs cut one player because he is redundant with another, it will likely be Tolliver.

Is Mahinmi untouchable or not? Do you hold firm on your previous opinion that Mahinmi will not only make the Spurs but stay on the active roster all year?

Just want to get your quote on paper . . .

I think that Mahinmi will make the team and will only be on the inactive roster if he is injured.

urunobili
09-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Mahimni is clearly a bust i don't get why the likes of Bottomtooth, Bruno, Brutalis and all other "B" name posters don't get over it already... and btw... this is what i think... my wish is he turns out to be the new Amare Stoudamire without injuries...

Bruno
09-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Mahimni is clearly a bust

A member of the CoM trashing a French player ?
What a surprise!

urunobili
09-11-2008, 03:37 PM
What a surprise!

You are getting into a territory i didn;t bring to the table... it seems you didn;t have a fair answer to what i said that you had to attack me this way... i am part of the CoT as well.. so this is not about nationality mate... i can speak french and have lived in Paris... weird thing.. the only friends i made there were Croatian and German... :stirpot:

timvp
09-11-2008, 03:40 PM
And I don't see how it makes your theory that Spurs not signing Gist and signing Watkins are both signs that Spurs thinks that Mahinmi suck.Link to where I said Mahinmi sucks? Don't turn exaggerating emo on me just because I said there is a very unlikely possibility the Spurs trade Mahinmi.

Saying that if Watkins outplays Mahinmi that could lead to Mahinmi being traded isn't saying Mahinmi sucks. Go read my posts again.

I've understood that you think that Mahinmi is a scrub. I have no problem with that. Link to where I've said he's a scrub? I'm actually on the Start Mahinmi bandwagon. If you've followed my posts, I've said I want Pop to start Mahinmi the first few months of the season to see if he can blossom. Why would I want the Spurs to start someone who I think is a scrub and sucks?

That said, you can't tell me you weren't disappointed with Mahinmi's summer league play.

FACTS don't show that Spurs think like you (they also don't show that Spurs think than Mahinmi is a stud), just stop twisting them and making assumptions that whatever Spurs do, it's a sign that they are low on Mahinmi.Again, where did I say the Spurs were low on Mahinmi? You are exaggerating what I've said in this thread.

Mahinmi is untouchable.I disagree.

Outside of the Big Three, I don't think the Spurs would hesitate to move anyone else. If the Spurs invite another defensive specialist to camp and he thoroughly outplays Bowen, I'd expect the Spurs to shop Bowen. Same with any of the other players. The Spurs have proven over and over again that loyalty isn't their main concern ... winning is.

We are all rooting for Mahinmi to be a very good player but he is far from untouchable. I can imagine several scenarios where the Spurs decide to trade Mahinmi. Obviously I hope it doesn't come down to that but to pretend Mahinmi is David Robinson, Jr. is just as ludicrous as saying Mahinmi won't make the team.

I think that Mahinmi will make the team and will only be on the inactive roster if he is injured.

I hope you are right. I think chances right now are 50/50 that you are right but we'll see.

The biggest strike against him is his summer league play. George Hill went from surefire backup point guard who can make an impact right away to maybe not even being signed after a so-so summer league. After Mahinmi's so-so summer league, it'd be naive to think the Spurs are going to hand him a rotation spot on a silver platter.

Bruno
09-11-2008, 03:46 PM
You are getting into a territory i didn;t bring to the table...

I know since I am the one that bring it on the table.

it seems you didn;t have a fair answer to what i said that you had to attack me this way...

There is nothing to answer or to argue. You think that Mahinmi is a scrub, it's your right. Future will tell if he isn't or not that.

i am part of the CoT as well..

No you aren't.

so this is not about nationality mate... i can speak french and have lived in Paris... weird thing.. the only friends i made there were Croatian and German... :stirpot:

I guess it explains why you hate French people. :stirpot:

smeagol
09-11-2008, 03:47 PM
:wow

Bruno turning into the typical international (or as sequ would say, foreigner) Spurs fan.

Rooting for the player simply because he is from you same nationality.

:nope :nope

Shame . . .

Shame . . .

Shame . . .

smeagol
09-11-2008, 03:49 PM
What a surprise!

Your comment makes little sense . . .

The fact that some Argies hate Parker does not mean that those same Argies would hate any French player.

Bruno
09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Link to where I've said he's a scrub? I'm actually on the Start Mahinmi bandwagon. If you've followed my posts, I've said I want Pop to start Mahinmi the first few months of the season to see if he can blossom. Why would I want the Spurs to start someone who I think is a scrub and sucks?

So you think that Mahinmi is a good prospect ?
Time to choose your camp.

That said, you can't tell me you weren't disappointed with Mahinmi's summer league play.

I was but you have to put things in perspective. Mahinmi wasn't a disaster and it was only SL.

Again, where did I say the Spurs were low on Mahinmi? You are exaggerating what I've said in this thread.

You said that Spurs brought Watkins, a below average young player, to compete with Mahinmi. I don't know how you can say that you didn't say that Spurs are low on Mahinmi after that.

I disagree.

:td
You're damn lame to misquote me.
And the only untouchable is Duncan. Parker and Ginobili can be traded for the right deal.

The biggest strike against him is his summer league play. George Hill went from surefire backup point guard who can make an impact right away to maybe not even being signed after a so-so summer league. After Mahinmi's so-so summer league, it'd be naive to think the Spurs are going to hand him a rotation spot on a silver platter.

I don't think that Hill not signing is only because of the SL. It seems to be Spurs' way to sign rookies damn late in the off-season. Hairston also hasn't signed with Spurs.

Mahinmi will have the playing time he deserves. If he sucks, he won't play. Saying that, Spurs roster isn't overcrowded and if he isn't horrible, he will be at least Spurs' 5th bigman.

Bruno
09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Rooting for the player simply because he is from you same nationality.

Wrong. I don't root for Mahinmi only because he is french.

It's true that if Mahinmi wasn't French, I wouldn't know him well and I wouldn't root for him. However, I don't root for all French players. I don't like some of them or find that they suck.

And US fans have also some affinity with players from their city or college.

timvp
09-11-2008, 04:21 PM
So you think that Mahinmi is a good prospect ?
Time to choose your camp.I think Mahinmi is a prospect with potential who is largely unknown. I don't think anyone, including the Spurs, know whether he's going to be good or whether he's going to fail out of the NBA.

At this point, either scenario is possible. Although I think the Spurs at least give Mahinmi this year and next to prove he belongs. But if he quits basketball like Jackie Butler or shows bad attitude and work ethic like Beno Udrih, the Spurs will ship his azz out.

I was but you have to put things in perspective. Mahinmi wasn't a disaster and it was only SL.It's hard for me to agree with the "only SL" part. The Spurs value summer league as much or more than any team in the NBA. Looking at their history, one could argue the Spurs put more stock in summer league than preseason play when it comes to evaluation.

You said that Spurs brought Watkins, a below average young player, to compete with Mahinmi. I don't know how you can say that you didn't say that Spurs are low on Mahinmi after that.

I said compete but I also said Mahinmi has a great chance to win that competition. Do you think Mahinmi is above having to compete for a job? I don't.

The Spurs bring in players to compete against other players all the time. I'm sure there will be point guards brought in to compete against Vaughn and Hill. I'm sure there will be swingmen brought in to compete against Udoka. That doesn't mean I think those players who brought in have much of a chance of knocking out the incumbent.

:td
You're damn lame to misquoted me. You've misquoted me about a dozen times in this thread.

I don't think that Hill not signing is only because of the SL. It seems to be Spurs' way to sign rookies damn late in the off-season. I don't remember a time the Spurs waited this long to sign a rookie unless 1) they wanted the rookie to take as little money as possible because they thought the rookie might suck 2) they thought the rookie sucked.

Hairston also hasn't signed with Spurs.I'd put Hairston in that second category.

Mahinmi will have the playing time he deserves. If he sucks, he won't play.What if he sucks and the other bigs play well in training camp? Do you think the Spurs would consider trading him?

Saying that, Spurs roster isn't overcrowded and if he isn't horrible, he will be at least Spurs' 5th bigman.Personally, if the option is 5th big or another season in Austin, I hope the Spurs and Mahinmi pick another season in Austin. Get spot minutes in the NBA won't help much. Another year in Austin where he's the focal point would be very good for his development.

If he's on the active roster, I want him to have an active roll. Having him rot this season doesn't help anyone.

urunobili
09-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I know since I am the one that bring it on the table. Ok... stating i am a CoM member only and use it as an excuse for the way i think about Mahmni shows what u r all about...

There is nothing to answer or to argue. You think that Mahinmi is a scrub, it's your right. Future will tell if he isn't or not that.
read my original post Bruno.. you'll find i have the best wishes for him

No you aren't. Check my signature.. the words stating that I DO love Tony have been there for about an year or more... you're just frustrated and are being rude with me for giving my opinion on Mahimni and your stubbornness with him

I guess it explains why you hate French people. :stirpot: I don;t hate them... we just think differently.. and there's more to that... My first day in Paris i saw them making fun of american people asking for directions in english, or giving him the WRONG instructions!!! i ran and told the americans about it and they told me they have been struggling all week like that... the locals are always pretending they don;t understand... what made me think funny of them was that they have (at least in Paris) this know it all tude that sucks... the cool guys are all from Morocco or Senegal... people from other parts of France i have met are really cool though...

I repeat; i LOVE TP and i wish the best for the NT as well :)

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Mahimni is clearly a bust i don't get why the likes of Bottomtooth, Bruno, Brutalis and all other "B" name posters don't get over it already..
Get over what exactly?

urunobili
09-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Get over what exactly?

the fact that he won;t ever make the team...

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-11-2008, 04:47 PM
the fact that he won;t ever make the team...

He made it last year.

Bruno
09-11-2008, 04:48 PM
It's hard for me to agree with the "only SL" part. The Spurs value summer league as much or more than any team in the NBA. Looking at their history, one could argue the Spurs put more stock in summer league than preseason play when it comes to evaluation.

That's why they let Gist signing overseas...
IMO, the value put in SL by Spurs depends on the player. Mahinmi has had a lot of success in D-League last year and Spurs turn down some trade offers for him. I doubt a so-so SL is enough to put him at the level of Watkins.

Do you think Mahinmi is above having to compete for a job? I don't.

I don't think that Mahinmi has to compete for a roster spot with Watkins or Tolliver.

The Spurs bring in players to compete against other players all the time.

Disagree, players are brought to have enough bodies for training camp practices/games.

What if he sucks and the other bigs play well in training camp? Do you think the Spurs would consider trading him?

If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle...
Spurs had to pick a team option for the 2009-2010 season before the end of the training camp. If Mahinmi sucks ass, they could decide not to pick the option and trade him. Everything is possible...
Now, if the deadline for the option was tomorrow, I truly think Spurs would pick the option.

If he's on the active roster, I want him to have an active roll. Having him rot this season doesn't help anyone.

Given Spurs bigs, I can imagine 5 bigs getting playing time.
IMO, 3 bigs (Ducan, Thomas and Oberto) will consistently be in the rotation. Bonner and Mahinmi will be the 4th big depending on matchups.
If Mahinmi is decent, he could easily average 20mpg over 40 games. It will be way better for him than the D-League.

timvp
09-11-2008, 05:06 PM
That's why they let Gist signing overseas...That arrangement was made before the draft.

Mahinmi has had a lot of success in D-LeagueSo did Marcus Williams, Keith Langford and DerMarr Johnson ... and the Spurs waived all three of those players.

Oh and Kris Lang put up impressive stats in D-League too and that guy can barely be regarded as a basketball player.

last year and Spurs turn down some trade offers for him.Link to the specific trades?

I doubt a so-so SL is enough to put him at the level of Watkins.I doubt that as well. That's why I never said that.

I don't think that Mahinmi has to compete for a roster spot with Watkins or Tolliver.So your answer is yes, you believe Mahinmi is above having to earn a roster spot. 'Tis all I was asking.

Disagree, players are brought to have enough bodies for training camp practices/games.Tell that to Darius Washington and Beno Udrih. Or Jaren Jackson and Vinny Del Negro.

If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle...So the chances of Mahinmi sucking are as remote as the chances of your aunt having balls?

Spurs had to pick a team option for the 2009-2010 season before the end of the training camp. If Mahinmi sucks ass, they could decide not to pick the option and trade him. Everything is possible...

See ... it wasn't that hard to say.

Now, if the deadline for the option was tomorrow, I truly think Spurs would pick the option. So do I.

Given Spurs bigs, I can imagine 5 bigs getting playing time.
IMO, 3 bigs (Ducan, Thomas and Oberto) will consistently be in the rotation. Bonner and Mahinmi will be the 4th big depending on matchups.
If Mahinmi is decent, he could easily average 20mpg over 40 games. It will be way better for him than the D-League.Only way Mahinmi averages 20 minutes per game is if he'd start. And if he was averaging 20 minutes a game, that wouldn't be what I was talking about in the first place.

Would you rather Mahinmi play as much as Bonner did last year in the NBA or play for the Toros?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-11-2008, 05:08 PM
So the chances of Mahinmi sucking are as remote as the chances of your aunt having balls?

Yes. :)

Bruno
09-11-2008, 05:23 PM
That arrangement was made before the draft.

Nice self ownage.
You've just destroy your theory that Gist hasn't signed with Spurs because Spurs didn't have a D-League spot for him because of hill and Mahinmi sucking in SL.

So did Marcus Williams, Keith Langford and DerMarr Johnson ... and the Spurs waived all three of those players.

Oh and Kris Lang put up impressive stats in D-League too and that guy can barely be regarded as a basketball player.

Having success in D-League when you are 21 years old, 6'11" and athletic is way more interesting for a NBA team than when you're old, unathletic and undersized.
Some scouts have said very good things on Mahinmi when he was in the D-League and Buford said that other teams have also noticed Mahinmi good season.

So the chances of Mahinmi sucking are as remote as the chances of your aunt having balls?

Almost. And it's Mahinmi sucking and Watkins playing well.

Would you rather Mahinmi play as much as Bonner did last year in the NBA or play for the Toros?
Bonner played 853 min last year, Mahinmi played 1360 min in D-League.
853min in NBA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 1360 min in D-League

pad300
09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
That arrangement was made before the draft.

Interesting, TiMVP, do you actually have a source that it was pre-arranged when Gist was drafted that he would go to Europe. I'd be very interested if it was mentioned in an article somewhere that you could quote...

Only way Mahinmi averages 20 minutes per game is if he'd start. And if he was averaging 20 minutes a game, that wouldn't be what I was talking about in the first place.

I can actually see Mahinmi starting if he shows nearly anything. Duncan isn't really the guy you want to be running, and every other big on the roster is slower than him (Oberto, KT for certain, and I think Bonner and Tolliver as well). Currently, the only options for mobile bigs are Mahinmi and Watkins... If I am the FO, I want to put a faster pairing of big out there than Duncan/KT...

peacemaker885
09-11-2008, 06:46 PM
BS, if Mahinmi can show half of what Bruno and Bottomtooth says, then we should be good.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-11-2008, 09:47 PM
Pisses me off that we could have had CDR, Chalmers, or Arthur with that first pick.

Mouse wheres that nuclear explosion pic?

Ice009
09-11-2008, 10:36 PM
You could argue that his play and determination he showed with the Toros was enough for the Spurs to say he deserves a chance. He might be bored and anxious, which would explain his "uninspired" SL performance. I highly doubt anyone, especially a rookie, will be competing with Ian for a roster spot. The only way I see Ian not being on the roster is if they trade for another veteran or get a solid piece by including him in a trade.

That's what I thought too since he played a lot better in Austin last season.

I'm interested in the trade scenario too. What would you guys say if Mahinmi was to be included in a trade package for Nocioni? Would you guys do it?

Maybe the Spurs are looking at trade packages that could get Nocioni or a player similar to him if they include Ian so they are trying out other bigs as potential replacements before doing a trade.

TDMVPDPOY
09-12-2008, 12:24 AM
dude if this guy can avg the kind of stats malik did off the bench or the same stats as any big comin off teh bench than that be sweet,

lets hope this guy has a better ceiling than butler

SenorSpur
09-12-2008, 01:10 AM
When is the last time Oberto blocked a shot?

T Park
09-12-2008, 02:57 AM
Pisses me off that we could have had CDR, Chalmers, or Arthur with that first pick.

Mouse wheres that nuclear explosion pic?

Yeah Chalmers and Arthur are proving to be such intelligent individuals.

Shame the Spurs didn't draft two brain dead fuckwads like them.

koriwhat
09-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Yeah Chalmers and Arthur are proving to be such intelligent individuals.

Shame the Spurs didn't draft two brain dead fuckwads like them.

ah and again a stupid assessment of talent based on stupid decisions that won't really even hinder their careers. oh boo hoo they smoke herb and like women. maybe you should learn to like both of those too.

mountainballer
09-12-2008, 10:37 AM
first off, this thread is the sad proof how boring and disappointing this offseason was (still is) for a Spurs fan.
jesus, we learned that the Spurs will (likely) bring a young big to camp, who few know and who obviously is quite limited.
what's the difference between Watkins and other bigs in the past, like Kris Lang? or Jared Reiner ? or Boumtje-Boumtje?
the only difference is, that back then we called it what it is, that this are just the typ of camp fodder signings who have zero chance to make the roster. period.

yes, I can also see that Ian will be traded.
but not because he's outplayed by a Tolliver or Watkins. because Spurs no longer think he will ever become an impact player. they will try to get at least something in return. maybe another underachiever from another team. (there are quite a few out there). this will be hard enough to manage, other teams won't line up to get him. (maybe someone like Cedric Simmons or Johan Petro?)
however, we are talking about a quality and impact level, that is a bit scary. as if the upgrade of the 5th man in the big rotation is tha major point. if Spurs want to win the West, the need an upgrade of the 2nd man in the rotation. a quality role player big man, someone like KT, but KT five years ago.
(to just drop a name. Haslem could be such a player. or Collison. not that I knew how to get them)

urunobili
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
When is the last time Oberto blocked a shot?

it's the Spurs chip that does that to him... on the Olympics he was very effective and had lots of the...