View Full Version : Affliciton II postponed
*coughs*
odd quote by Dana...wonder what it means...
talking about affliction
“I would be (expletive) horrified if Affliction is still in business by January,” he declared. “They’re going to burn a lot of cash in the next few months, believe me. Good luck to ‘em. I’ll be sitting here waiting to see what happens.”
wonder if this has to do with Randy suddenly coming over. Something else is happening.
I love afflictions second card…good match ups….if they keep having cards like that they will start changing peoples mind about them.
The Oct. 11 Affliction event scheduled for the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas has been postponed, Keith Kizer of the Nevada State Athletic Commission confirmed to Sherdog.com on Wednesday.
Affliction contacted Kizer on Wednesday morning to inform him that the event would be moved to a January date at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.
Advertising for the Oct. 11 pay-per-view event had already begun, including in New York, where scheduled headliners Andrei Arlovski (Pictures) and Josh Barnett (Pictures) were featured on a billboard in Times Square.
The show, “Day of Reckoning,” was set to be Affliction's second MMA event.
Dana predicted this just right...they just burned through a mountain of cash. Thats not good at all. Sucks for those fighters.
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Dana predicted this just right...they just burned through a mountain of cash. Thats not good at all. Sucks for those fighters.
They need to merge with elite xc!!!
desflood
09-10-2008, 01:33 PM
I'd like to hear Trump make a statement on this...
They need to merge with elite xc!!!
That’s actually the best idea I have heard to give them a chance to survive…too bad the ego's involved would never allow it.
Faced with extinction and they would probably fight each other to death and get nothing done. …just like 28 days later…lol
I'd like to hear Trump make a statement on this...
"Affliction what? Who?"
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 01:37 PM
That’s actually the best idea I have heard to give them a chance to survive…too bad the ego's involved would never allow it.
Faced with extinction and they would probably fight each other to death and get nothing done. …just like 28 days later…lol
Yeah they can call it Elite Affliction lol. That actually sounded crappy. Yeah too bad, it would be nice to see Arlovski school Kimbo.
desflood
09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
"Affliction what? Who?"
:lol
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 01:38 PM
"Affliction what? Who?"
Prob something like this. "Affliction..........your fired!!"
"oh you mean that company with the velcro belt?"
desflood
09-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah they can call it Elite Affliction lol. That actually sounded crappy. Yeah too bad, it would be nice to see Arlovski school Kimbo.
I'd like to see Aleks E. walk in against Kimbo. Kevin would take one look at that monstrous Russian and run away screaming. And Aleks has a kid now - heaven knows he could use the payday :lol
I wonder if anyone will be calling their agent to get the out of their contract.
……. this is EXACTLY what happened to the WFA.
Dana White Texting Tom Atencio
"LOLZ U SKRWD U DMBFCK"
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I wonder if anyone will be calling their agent to get the out of their contract.
……. this is EXACTLY what happened to the WFA.
I hope Andre goes back to UFC. I was excited to still be able to see his fights through affliction, but dammit!!
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I'd like to see Aleks E. walk in against Kimbo. Kevin would take one look at that monstrous Russian and run away screaming. And Aleks has a kid now - heaven knows he could use the payday :lol
I would love to see that fight happen.
mmaweekly
Sources close to the venue in Las Vegas say that ticket sales were abysmally slow for the event, which is believed to have contributed to the event’s postponement.
A formal statement from Affliction Vice President Tom Atencio is forthcoming.
well there we go.
aleks will never fight in the us again
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 01:54 PM
aleks will never fight in the us again
why :(?
dbreiden83080
09-10-2008, 01:55 PM
The UFC is a juggernut and that is not going to change. The best guys in the world are just going to all go there and any start-up company will be getting 2nd rate fighters, put on 2nd rate shows, burn through money and just go away. Maybe Fedor will be here soon after all.
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 01:59 PM
The UFC is a juggernut and that is not going to change. The best guys in the world are just going to all go there and any start-up company will be getting 2nd rate fighters, put on 2nd rate shows, burn through money and just go away. Maybe Fedor will be here soon after all.
hey are you calling Andre a 2nd rate fighter :(?
desflood
09-10-2008, 02:06 PM
aleks will never fight in the us again
I heard that also, that he would never be medically cleared to fight in the U.S. There were rumors of Hep A, which his camp denied.
why :(?
Aleks has Hep C (EDIT or A as Desflood said)and someone from the CSAC said they have proof that will keep him from fighting in the US ever again.
You have to feel awful for guys like Horodecki who haven't seen a paycheck in a long time.
Fedor may never fight for them again since he will fight NYE and that means he won't be ready again until May or whatever. So who knows if they are even around then..DOUBTFULL they will even have another show.
Matt Lindland is the angel of death for MMA orgs. WFA, Bodog, IFL and now Affliction.
dbreiden83080
09-10-2008, 02:06 PM
hey are you calling Andre a 2nd rate fighter :(?
Sorry,
No he is a 1st rate fighter, the UFC dicked over. He should be back, i would think
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 02:07 PM
I heard that also, that he would never be medically cleared to fight in the U.S. There were rumors of Hep A, which his camp denied.
are you serious??? Which is the one that Fedor "had"? Wasn't that Hep as well?
Sorry,
No he is a 1st rate fighter, the UFC dicked over. He should be back, i would think
Arlovski is Dana's biggest eff up.
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Aleks has Hep C (EDIT or A as Desflood said)and someone from the CSAC said they have proof that will keep him from fighting in the US ever again.
:bang
are you serious??? Which is the one that Fedor "had"? Wasn't that Hep as well?
Fedor didn't have anything.
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Arlovski is Dana's biggest eff up.
Yeah thats the one that pains me the most!! He is still my fav hw. Guess ill move Brock up to 1 ;).
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Fedor didn't have anything.
OH I guess I mis-read that when they were talking about a possible Arlov vs Fedor.
Yeah thats the one that pains me the most!! He is still my fav hw. Guess ill move Brock up to 1 ;).
In a rare moment of being humble…Dana admits he screwed that one up. Although he wouldn't mention where he went..lol..
OH I guess I mis-read that when they were talking about a possible Arlov vs Fedor.
To my knowledge there is nothing wrong medically with Fedor besides a lingering hand injury and a map of scar tissue on the face.
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 02:18 PM
In a rare moment of being humble…Dana admits he screwed that one up. Although he wouldn't mention where he went..lol..
Stupid F bomb throwing Dana. Is it me or is he getting fat?
Stupid F bomb throwing Dana. Is it me or is he getting fat?
? He's pretty buff now dude…relatively.
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 02:22 PM
? He's pretty buff now dude…relatively.
I havent seen him since the last UF.
but I do think his ass is banging
ATRAIN
09-10-2008, 02:26 PM
but I do think his ass is banging
LOL WTF???
LOL WTF???
kidding :lol
Reasons for the postponed are not yet known, however, MMARated.com’s Ariel Helwani is speculating that with just little over a month to go that Affliction had possibly sold as little as 700 tickets for the Thomas & Mack, which can seat up to 19,522 spectators.
desflood
09-10-2008, 02:33 PM
700 tickets for the Thomas & Mack, which can seat up to 19,522 spectators.
That can't be right... well, that's why it's called a speculation.
That can't be right... well, that's why it's called a speculation.
Curious why do you think so?
And it looks like I spelled the title wrong on the thread...good job
desflood
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
Josh Barnett (#3 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Andre Arlovski (#5 Heavyweight in the World)*
-Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (#8 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
-Matt Lindland (#5 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Trevor Prangley
HDNet Preliminary Bouts:
-Roy Nelson vs. Paul Buentello
-Mike Pyle vs. Jason High
Other rumored bouts/participants:
-Pedro Rizzo vs. Ben Rothwell
-Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon
-Jay Hieron vs. Drew Fickett
With a lineup like that, with all the mma fans around, I don't see something like this selling only 700 tickets. Obviously it was a very low number, to cancel, but still... unless they're charging a truly outrageous amount for seats.
desflood
09-10-2008, 02:50 PM
And why the hell does my sig keep showing up when it shouldn't? Another mystery.
LEONARD
09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Bunk
Josh Barnett (#3 Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Andre Arlovski (#5 Heavyweight in the World)*
-Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (#8 Light Heavyweight in the World)* vs. Vladimir Matyushenko
-Matt Lindland (#5 Middleweight in the World)* vs. Trevor Prangley
HDNet Preliminary Bouts:
-Roy Nelson vs. Paul Buentello
-Mike Pyle vs. Jason High
Other rumored bouts/participants:
-Pedro Rizzo vs. Ben Rothwell
-Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon
-Jay Hieron vs. Drew Fickett
With a lineup like that, with all the mma fans around, I don't see something like this selling only 700 tickets. Obviously it was a very low number, to cancel, but still... unless they're charging a truly outrageous amount for seats.
I find it low as well…maybe they meant 7k? They obviously suck at marketing.
dbreiden83080
09-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Stupid F bomb throwing Dana. Is it me or is he getting fat?
He is getting fat, he is calling himself fat all the time in his Video Blogs. Like the one where he and Randy are having breakfast and Randy is eating a bran muffin and Dana is eating eggs with cheese, and some really fatty muffin he called "The muffin of death" :lol
Hmmmmmmmm…maybe I am wrong…he was looking buff for awhile...maybe he let it go again.
anyway...see ya affliction.
updated
Affliction vice president Tom Atencio spoke exclusively with MMAWeekly.com to clarify his company’s decision to postpone the event.
“We not canceling it,we’re not postponing it, we’re rescheduling it completely,” he said. “It doesn’t make sense to do it where we wanted to do it, it’s a positive.”
Sources close to the venue had informed MMAWeekly.com that ticket says thus far have been “abysmal.” Atencio conceded that ticket sales for “Day of Reckoning” were weak.
“Of course,” he said. “It was a business decision. We came out strong, and we want to continue with that momentum and continue strong. We don’t want to come out and be weak and have to give tickets away. We want to continue to be a force in this industry.”
dallaskd
09-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Affliction will be done before 2009. I believe Dana on that. Tito to Japan or EliteXC? no one can afford him.
dallaskd
09-10-2008, 05:46 PM
maybe we can see a Barnett-Couture rematch now.
Affliction will be done before 2009. I believe Dana on that. Tito to Japan or EliteXC? no one can afford him.
Dream still owes money to its fighters from its last show.
djohn14
09-10-2008, 07:04 PM
It really wouldnt shock me if Tito ends up back in the UFC. I really dont see EliteXC or Affliction Lasting to 2009 and if they do, it wont be long till there done. If Tito really wants to fight (which I question his passion) then I see him in the UFC again, unless some promotion comes up quick.
cornbread
09-10-2008, 09:11 PM
ain't this some booshit.
angelbelow
09-11-2008, 03:23 AM
i read that affliction still owed money to some fighters, still true or old news?
i read that affliction still owed money to some fighters, still true or old news?
Haven't heard that but would not be surprised. Dream is behind on their paydays.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.5 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions Inc. All rights reserved.