PDA

View Full Version : Proud parent moment.

RandomGuy
09-10-2008, 03:40 PM
If you don't have kids and don't care stop reading.

I am holding my 2 year old boy on my hip and walking through my kindergardener's open house last night.

Ahead in the hallway is everybody's favorite anthropomorphic sack of groceries, HEB Buddy. (A guy in a mascot-style suit)

As I walk towards Mr. Buddy, the two year old's whole body tightens up, and his grip on my shoulder gets very solid. I look over and he is riveted by the giant figure before him. The boy is obvisously a bit scared/concerned.

He doesn't cry, and I just say very quietly in his ear, "it's ok, I'm here, you're ok".

The guy in the suit obligingly waves a hand and I say "go ahead and shake his hand".

The boy, to his credit reaches out and does so. He didn't cry, he didn't hide, he just trusted his dad and conquered his fear. He still looked a bit doubious, but after reaching out and touching the fake hand, he seemed to relaxe and realize that it wasn't going to get him.

Way to go little guy.

BacktoBasics
09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Step one: Fear of Mascot

Step two: Fear of Vagina

Don't let him become a victim.

and congrats on a job well done.

duncan228
09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Nothing like the trust a child has in a parent. What a great feeling. Thanks for sharing the moment.

AlamoSpursFan
09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Enjoy it now. In few more years he'll pretend he doesn't hear you when you want him to clean up his room.

:lol

I. Hustle
09-10-2008, 03:46 PM
My step son is 4 and will run like hell if he sees H.E.Buddy, the puffy taco, or the ballapeno. Those are the only ones we really come across. But clowns he's cool with wtf

ORION
09-10-2008, 03:47 PM
that's awesome! the other day my son hit himself on the kitchen table and made a face like he was in obvious pain. He was holding it in and his eyes were getting red and he just took a knee on the kitchen floor so I went and picked him up and gave him a big hug and kiss and told him I was so proud of him for being a big boy and not crying

RandomGuy
09-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks, and you're welcome.

My boys both have their less than stellar moments, but occasionally things like this make me very glad to know them, and look forward to seeing them grow. It is the most rewarding thing about being a parent to be able to see them develop as human beings, knowing that you contributed to that somehow.

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I'm glad it worked out for you. I never trusted my parents again after watching my brother get mauled by Tony the Tiger.

Brutalis
09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Just think, in 10 years he'll hate you. Sigh.

ORION
09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm glad it worked out for you. I never trusted my parents again after watching my brother get mauled by Tony the Tiger.

:lmao

09-10-2008, 04:04 PM

Well, that's just grrrreeeeaaatttt.

Slydragon
09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
I got a super funny story about my daughter. I work at HEB and I was there on a day off with her she was 5 then and we have demo ladies who sample out stuff, Well walking down a aisle one them was walking by and she is a older oriental lady. She was sampling some HEB cookies and told my daughter "Come see me for some cookies" in her broken English.

My daughter says all loud " I LOVE FORTUNE COOKIES" OMG!!! took all of my strength not to bust out laughing in front of her. Lucky the lady didn't really catch what my daughter said as she said it fast. As soon as she was gone I LMAO and told all my co workers.