PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss a memo?

Sunshine
09-10-2008, 08:40 PM
I just got back from HEB and holy guacamole....they were PACKED! Everyone was loading their carts with bread, water, canned food. A guy wheeled in a pallet with Dasani water on it and I almost got knocked over by the crush of people trying to get a case or two. I heard a woman tell her husband to get two bottles of propane "just in case".

I know we're in for some bad weather due to Ike, but geez...I highly doubt anyone here in SA will be cut off from civilization!

PM5K
09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
I was kind of thinking the same thing, but who knows...

SAtown
09-10-2008, 08:45 PM
People love to overreact.

atxrocker
09-10-2008, 08:47 PM
just got back from central market and it was the same shit. fucking ridiculous.

Shaolin-Style
09-10-2008, 08:49 PM
People bought tons of generators cause a weatherman bought one :lol

Ginofan
09-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Is all this "stocking up" really necessary? I didn't think it was going to be that bad here in SA...

Sunshine
09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
This was the one at 281 & Evans...and it's never packed like that on a Wednesday night at 8 pm.

I figure a few of those people could have been stocking up for friends or relatives that live in the coastal area, but I think for the most part they were buying for themselves. We might stock up on beer and wine if we're gonna have to be inside all weekend :lol, but I don't feel the urge to stockpile vienna sausages and powdered milk!

JoeChalupa
09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah, the wife works at HEB and she said people are going nuts over IKE. We always keep the storm kit stocked though. Flashlights, batteries, water, canned goods, TP, first aid kit. But I'm not going overboard.

Sunshine
09-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Is all this "stocking up" really necessary? I didn't think it was going to be that bad here in SA...

No, but the stores are certainly going to urge you to, they're loving this I'm sure. I ran into the manager twice walking thru the store and both times he asked if I was looking for water.

Sunshine
09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Yeah, the wife works at HEB and she said people are going nuts over IKE. We always keep the storm kit stocked though. Flashlights, batteries, water, canned goods, TP, first aid kit. But I'm not going overboard.

Absolutely. We always have flashlights and batteries for those ocassions when the electricity goes out and we have enough canned goods in our pantry to last two weeks...although I won't touch the asparagus unless we run out of everything else first :lol

PM5K
09-10-2008, 09:00 PM
I can understand batteries, but I've never been without water during a storm for as long as I can remember.

A generator? Seems overboard, we shouldn't be without power for that long...

Crookshanks
09-10-2008, 09:00 PM
This is so funny that you brought this up. I lived in SA for 16 years, but just recently moved to Arlington. I was telling my coworkers today that I was glad I wasn't in SA right now because it would be a nuthouse! I used to work at HEB and I never could understand why people got so panicky. I mean, whenever there was a hurricane threatening the coast, you couldn't find a bottle of water or a roll of toilet paper in all of San Antonio! Always just cracked me up!

Sunshine
09-10-2008, 09:05 PM
This is so funny that you brought this up. I lived in SA for 16 years, but just recently moved to Arlington. I was telling my coworkers today that I was glad I wasn't in SA right now because it would be a nuthouse! I used to work at HEB and I never could understand why people got so panicky. I mean, whenever there was a hurricane threatening the coast, you couldn't find a bottle of water or a roll of toilet paper in all of San Antonio! Always just cracked me up!

I guess it's just survival instincts taking over but beyond making sure you have your immediate needs taken care of in case the weather is so bad that you shouldn't be out driving, holing up in the storm cellar seems a little much!

It's the same when ever we're in for cold/icy weather. I can see not being able to find firelogs and such, but you see people trudging through the store with their cart overflowing with food, TP, water....people are funny.

IronMexican
09-10-2008, 09:08 PM
What happened?

Ginofan
09-10-2008, 09:09 PM
The thing that pisses me off is that I have to do our REGULAR grocery shopping tomorrow and I know this crap is still going to be going on. UGH!

Sunshine
09-10-2008, 09:10 PM
What happened?

I bought the five things I needed and got the flock outta there.

Many PackYao
09-10-2008, 09:12 PM
I just got back from HEB and holy guacamole....they were PACKED! Everyone was loading their carts with bread, water, canned food. A guy wheeled in a pallet with Dasani water on it and I almost got knocked over by the crush of people trying to get a case or two. I heard a woman tell her husband to get two bottles of propane "just in case".

I know we're in for some bad weather due to Ike, but geez...I highly doubt anyone here in SA will be cut off from civilization!

You have got to be kidding me! Here in Houston people are all at the gas stations,honking and cussing each other out which I can understand...but SA?:lmao

IronMexican
09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
I bought the five things I needed and got the flock outta there.

Yeah, but why os everyone shitting themselves? Did I miss some ground breaking news?

Biernutz
09-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Hurricane? It's just a excuse for fat city to buy all the food in the store and eat all weekend.

Many PackYao
09-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah, but why os everyone shitting themselves? Did I miss some ground breaking news?
A hurricane is heading towards Texas brah. It can't decide if wants to hit Corpus Christi or Houston so we sit here and wait till it makes a decision.:wow

mrsmaalox
09-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey I survived a week in a 5ft snowstorm in a community without a snowplow. I had 3 kids under age 8 and just had a regular shopping trip the week before. I think we'll be just fine here! :tu

IronMexican
09-10-2008, 09:30 PM
A hurricane is heading towards Texas brah. It can't decide if wants to hit Corpus Christi or Houston so we sit here and wait till it makes a decision.:wow

Good luck mang. Hope everyone comes out alright.

Many PackYao
09-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Good luck mang. Hope everyone comes out alright.
Thanks! Hopefully!

tsb2000
09-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeesh. Ike will fizzle out bigtime before it gets to SA. I guess all of these people weren't around for hurricane Allen back in the day. Now that was a hurricane! :spin

Sunshine
09-10-2008, 09:40 PM

That's what I was asking. Hurricane Ike is due to hit Friday and SA will get a bunch of rain. People are over reacting and stockpiling as if the apocolypse were imminent.

Sunshine
09-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I just talked to my niece who is a teacher in Comal ISD and she said several schools have already announced that they'll close at noon Friday so people can get home plus several schools will be closed tomorrow and Friday because they are designated evacuation shelters...that makes sense.

A lot of the schools have moved or cancelled sporting events scheduled for the weekend. Johnson moved the varsity football game from Saturday at Blossom to tomorrow at the Alamodome.

spursfan09
09-10-2008, 09:51 PM
It's all Steve "I bought a generator and am scaring the shit out of everybody" Brown. However, A cat 4 hurricane won't be hitting SA, but you know how bad flooding is. Also we have to worry about tornadoes. So I guess its smart to be out of the streets by that time. Gosh tornadoes scare me.

Das Texan
09-10-2008, 09:54 PM
so i have this to look forward to when i return home tomorrow?

they better fucking have bread at heb, so i can make me a sammich on friday, dont really want to drive all the way to my folks to bum a sammich off them on friday.

SpursWoman
09-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Yeesh. Ike will fizzle out bigtime before it gets to SA. I guess all of these people weren't around for hurricane Allen back in the day. Now that was a hurricane! :spin

Forecast for San Antonio (yes, San Antonio!) is heavy rains and 50-60mph sustained winds, with gusts up to 80. We're not used to this kind of shit up here...lol. We had gusts of about 30 a couple of weeks ago and I thought my house was going to blow down. And it's only 2 years old. :wow

We were going to go out for Chris' birthday on Saturday ... now we are just going to stay in and I'll make something special. I hope everyone isn't stocking up on king crab legs and scallops! :lol

Sunshine
09-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Forecast for San Antonio (yes, San Antonio!) is heavy rains and 50-60mph sustained winds, with gusts up to 80. We're not used to this kind of shit up here...lol. We had gusts of about 30 a couple of weeks ago and I thought my house was going to blow down. And it's only 2 years old. :wow

We were going to go out for Chris' birthday on Saturday ... now we are just going to stay in and I'll make something special. I hope everyone isn't stocking up on king crab legs and scallops! :lol

I'm fully prepared for some bad ass weather from Ike, no doubt about it. As long as I have my Dove milk chocolate, a couple bottles of wine and some frozen pizzas in the freezer, we'll be fine.

Fatsack's bummed b/c the band he plays in had a gig lined up for Saturday night and it got cancelled because of the "impending inclement weather". :(

SequSpur
09-10-2008, 10:26 PM
I need to stock up on crown royal

Sunshine
09-10-2008, 10:28 PM

Hit Costco before they close tomorrow night.

Slydragon
09-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Yea it was crazy at work today, I work in the business center and Monday is going to suck balls. Just like Y2K when everyone bought everything under the roof and then what happen the next day when everything work fine? EVERYBODY returned everything they bought and would not admit they were just panic at the time.

Blamed it on the husband on over shopping or my sister bought the same stuff to all kinds of crazy stories. WTF just say I was a scared out of my mind.

Das Texan
09-10-2008, 10:48 PM
HEB shouldnt take shit back that these fucking idiots bought.

Brutalis
09-10-2008, 11:00 PM
HEB shouldnt take shit back that these fucking idiots bought.

No kidding. You shouldn't be able to return food regardless.

mouse
09-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Y2K forum

Brutalis
09-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Fucking hurricane fucking up my game and shit.

JudynTX
09-11-2008, 08:58 AM

:toast You got that right! :hat

And other party materials...........

Tree hugger
09-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Ease up on all the paper products please! :)

CosmicCowboy
09-11-2008, 09:34 AM
If this thing doesn't move any further East I expect quite a few downed power lines in SA from tree limbs breaking which can potentially knock out substations. The people that live out in the newer areas with underground utilities will probably be OK, but older areas with overhead lines could be affected...Some areas could be out of power for a day or two...We aren't gonna die, but 60+ mph winds (which will be out of the north) can wreak havoc on a power grid in an area like San Antonio with lots of big trees...

bus driver
09-11-2008, 09:58 AM

was the beer still fully stocked?
thats all i care about....

Sunshine
09-11-2008, 10:53 AM
was the beer still fully stocked?
thats all i care about....

There was a beer truck in the parking lot this morning. :tu

bus driver
09-11-2008, 01:44 PM
There was a beer truck in the parking lot this morning. :tu

:toast
great just in case i run out this weekend!

marini martini
09-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Shit, I just got back from "my" HEB, and every freakin' welfare case was in there. Man I've never seen so many kidney belts hanging in the beer & wine aisle, in my life. And son of a bitch, if they didn't have my Chard. Box:bang

ehz33satx
09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I think we will get alot more rain than people think. There is also TS Lowell in the Pacific that is going to converge with Ike and bring chingos and chingos of rain!

CubanMustGo
09-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Look at the bright side, next week there are going to be lots of generators available cheap.

09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Look at the bright side, next week there are going to be lots of generators available cheap.

Agreed, gonna start looking on Craigslist.

2Blonde
09-12-2008, 12:35 AM
I just talked to my niece who is a teacher in Comal ISD and she said several schools have already announced that they'll close at noon Friday so people can get home plus several schools will be closed tomorrow and Friday because they are designated evacuation shelters...that makes sense.

A lot of the schools have moved or cancelled sporting events scheduled for the weekend. Johnson moved the varsity football game from Saturday at Blossom to tomorrow at the Alamodome.

My daughter is in the Comal ISD. Yesterday I received a recorded call saying 2 elementaries & 1 middle school would be closed thursday and Friday to become evacuation shelters for people coming in from the coastal areas. Then today, I received another call & an emergency email saying that ALL of the Comal ISD schools will be letting out early tomorrow.

Here is a copy of today's email:

Prepared by the Comal ISD Communications Office

Our Comal ISD superintendent has decided to release everyone early tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 12, according to the following schedule:

Elementary Schools......1:15 pm

Secondary Schools.......2:25 pm

Support Services Center......3 pm

There will be no after-school child care provided due to the early release schedule.

This decision was made in an effort to get people home safely and early as thousands of evacuees from the Gulf Coast and Houston area make their way to our area.

If there are any changes to athletic events still scheduled for Friday we’ll let you know through our website, www.comalisd.org, under News and Events.

DannyT
09-12-2008, 12:40 AM
how does that make you feel that your school taxes are being wasted...why not put these people in the dome,at&t center, convention centers and the shelters we have here...it just gets to me that our schools are being fucked with...but I know the kids dig it

Sunshine
09-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Had an email this mornning from one of my sons teachers (Johnson HS) saying that because of the threat of the hurricane, the test scheduled for today is being rescheduled for Monday. Doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm sure my son will be thrilled!

katyon6th
09-12-2008, 07:44 AM
The thing that pisses me off is that I have to do our REGULAR grocery shopping tomorrow and I know this crap is still going to be going on. UGH!

Tegan and I plan on doing ours tomorrow also, you can come with and we can fight the crowd together.

We had this idea about pretending like we didn't know eachother and fighting over a package of flour. Really, we just want it to explode all over ourselves. Should be fun.

Duncan
09-12-2008, 07:47 AM
how does that make you feel that your school taxes are being wasted...

WTF happened to all the Texas lotto money for the schools? :lmao

Calling Buddy Holly report to this topic paging Buddy Holly!

Ginofan
09-12-2008, 08:20 AM
Tegan and I plan on doing ours tomorrow also, you can come with and we can fight the crowd together.

We had this idea about pretending like we didn't know eachother and fighting over a package of flour. Really, we just want it to explode all over ourselves. Should be fun.

:lol awesome, We're there. (We were too lazy to go yesterday haha)