PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else watching the Candidates Forum on Service on MSNBC?

angel_luv
09-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Senator McCain just finished. Senator Obama is about to be interviewed.

SpursFanFirst
09-11-2008, 08:19 PM
thanks, Angel

JoeChalupa
09-11-2008, 09:53 PM
I watched it and it was refreshing to hear both candidates talk about issues with out the attacks. I thought they both did a good job but I did find it kind of odd that McCain praised community service yet Palin belittled Barack's time as a community organizer. I think that kind of talk will need to stop now unless of course McCain says something to one audience but then says something else to another.
But I liked the format.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-11-2008, 10:02 PM
McCain really did a great job tonight. Sad that even with them lobbing Obama softballs and telling him how McCain answered, he still couldn't put together a coherent response.

How the hell do you go from volunteering to talking about teacher needs?

Columbia's a liberal uni and McCain still got a great response tonight. Good job :tu

TheMadHatter
09-11-2008, 10:04 PM
^Do you even realize how partisan you sound?

JoeChalupa
09-11-2008, 10:04 PM
McCain really did a great job tonight. Sad that even with them lobbing Obama softballs and telling him how McCain answered, he still couldn't put together a coherent response.

How the hell do you go from volunteering to talking about teacher needs?

Columbia's a liberal uni and McCain still got a great response tonight. Good job :tu

I'm not at surprised by your post. Obama did a great job and even the commentators on FoxNews gave him his due. If you could put aside your partisan view for just a few minutes you'd see the same thing.

SpursFanFirst
09-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I only got to see the Obama interview, and for the most part, I couldn't understand what he was trying to say. :huh

Maybe I'm alone on this.

JoeChalupa
09-11-2008, 10:10 PM
I only got to see the Obama interview, and for the most part, I couldn't understand what he was trying to say. :huh

Maybe I'm alone on this.

You are not alone as AHF doesn't get it either. Perhaps his use of the english language is above your pay grade because I had no trouble at all understanding what he was saying.

Mr. Peabody
09-11-2008, 10:14 PM

Maybe I'm alone on this.

Maybe you didn't notice you were actually watching it on Telemundo....

FromWayDowntown
09-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Columbia is probably not quite as liberal as AHF thinks. It's not as conservative as TAMU, but it's hardly Berkley or even Harvard.

AFBlue
09-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I watched it and it was refreshing to hear both candidates talk about issues with out the attacks. I thought they both did a good job but I did find it kind of odd that McCain praised community service yet Palin belittled Barack's time as a community organizer. I think that kind of talk will need to stop now unless of course McCain says something to one audience but then says something else to another.
But I liked the format.

Did you find it odd when Barack belittled Palin's time as a "small-town governor" when the VP pick was first announced?

I think both did well to backpeddal from those unwinnable personal attacks on job qualification and actually thought McCain was much more direct in his praise of Obama as a community organizer, whereas Obama gave the "I appreciate small town governors" general line without praising Palin.

AFBlue
09-11-2008, 10:28 PM
On the forum, I thought it was refreshing to hear two competent and reasonable people talk about a very bi-partisan topic of service to the country.

:tu

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-11-2008, 10:28 PM
You are not alone as AHF doesn't get it either. Perhaps his use of the english language is above your pay grade because I had no trouble at all understanding what he was saying.

I guess Obama supporters are more used to "um, uh, uh, um, um..." than others...

Again, I'm sorry but when they ask him a question on volunteer service and whether they should get benefits for serving and he goes from talking about the Peace Corps in Afghanistan to getting good teachers in bad schools, how the hell does that make any sense?

He sounds like the Miss USA candidate that just had a bunch of buzz words in her head to spit out, the hell with the answer, gotta hit the talking points....

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Columbia is probably not quite as liberal as AHF thinks. It's not as conservative as TAMU, but it's hardly Berkley or even Harvard. Nice assumption, though.

Sorry, when a campus won't even allow ROTC there because they hate the military, I'm gonna assume they're pretty liberal. I never said they were Berkley, just that it's a pretty liberal school and they still gave McCain his due.

TheMadHatter
09-11-2008, 10:30 PM
^Your much better at basketball analysis.

Mr. Peabody
09-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I think both did well to backpeddal from those unwinnable personal attacks on job qualification and actually thought McCain was much more direct in his praise of Obama as a community organizer, whereas Obama gave the "I appreciate small town governors" general line without praising Palin.

I think you are referring to his statements about "small town mayors." How much more complimentary could he have been? He said that mayors do the real work in implementing policy, while people in the Senate just "yak." What else did you want him to say? He doesn't know Palin that well, so what's he supposed to compliment her on, her glasses or her fashion?

Mr. Peabody
09-11-2008, 10:37 PM
I guess Obama supporters are more used to "um, uh, uh, um, um..." than others...

Again, I'm sorry but when they ask him a question on volunteer service and whether they should get benefits for serving and he goes from talking about the Peace Corps in Afghanistan to getting good teachers in bad schools, how the hell does that make any sense?

Did you listen to his entire response to the question? What he was talking about is that if you commit to a great sacrifice for the country, you should be considered for benefits. Examples he used of sacrifice were putting yourself in danger by serving in unstable areas (e.g., Afghanistan, etc.) or by serving the youth by agreeing to obtain a teacher's certification and teach in under-performing schools.

JoeChalupa
09-11-2008, 10:42 PM

He sounds like the Miss USA candidate that just had a bunch of buzz words in her head to spit out, the hell with the answer, gotta hit the talking points....

Um, that's because that is all you want to hear. You are so one sided you can't see or hear straight.

JoeChalupa
09-11-2008, 10:43 PM
^Your much better at basketball analysis.

+1

TheMadHatter
09-11-2008, 10:44 PM
AH is one of the biggest partisan hacks I've ever seen on a political forum.

AFBlue
09-11-2008, 10:57 PM
I think you are referring to his statements about "small town mayors." How much more complimentary could he have been? He said that mayors do the real work in implementing policy, while people in the Senate just "yak." What else did you want him to say? He doesn't know Palin that well, so what's he supposed to compliment her on, her glasses or her fashion?

I wasn't implying that his praise of the job wasn't sufficient. I'm saying that McCain specifically said Obama's work as a community organizer was commendable (or something similar), but Obama made no specific reference to Palin's time as mayor.

And good catch on the governor thing....:lol

Gino
09-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Did Obama talk again how he considered joining the military and used his registration for the selective service as proof?

I once considered being a cop. I mean....I paid my speeding tickets. :lol

Mr. Peabody
09-11-2008, 11:04 PM
I wasn't implying that his praise of the job wasn't sufficient. I'm saying that McCain specifically said Obama's work as a community organizer was commendable (or something similar), but Obama made no specific reference to Palin's time as mayor.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying. He didn't specifically mention her by name. The bad thing was that in his efforts to compliment small town mayors he actually seemed to concede some of the argument that the right was making about her the value of her experience as mayor and governor versus to the value of his experience as a senator, both state and national. We'll see of his gaffe comes back to haunt him later on.

AFBlue
09-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I understand what you're saying. He didn't specifically mention her by name. The bad thing was that in his efforts to compliment small town mayors he actually seemed to concede some of the argument that the right was making about her the value of her experience as mayor and governor versus to the value of his experience as a senator, both state and national. We'll see of his gaffe comes back to haunt him later on.

Seems to be alot of concession by the guys at the top of the ticket on a number of talking points and issues....which ain't all bad. I think I'd rather have politicians admit that sometimes they can agree on certain points and speak with a bi-partisan tone.

Meanwhile, the bottom of the ticket and surrogates are absolutely tearing into the two guys at the top and expounding on their incompetence.

Don't you love election time!?!?

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-11-2008, 11:58 PM
AH is one of the biggest partisan hacks I've ever seen on a political forum.

Actually I'm not usually this bad but all the bullshit from Dans, croutons, Mr. Body, Buddy Holly, etc. have compelled me to move over to the right. And I'll stay there until any of them attempt to bring any objectivity to the discussion.

I'd love to have more intelligent discussions, because I think posters like JoeChalupa are capable of it. But for every poster here like him there's about 20 liberal hacks.

Someone's gotta balance out the nonsense from the left.