PDA

View Full Version : Like rats deserting a sinking ship!

Crookshanks
09-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I FIND THIS QUITE HILARIOUS! :lmao

Democrats on Capitol Hill fear Obama fallout
By Andrew Ward in Washington

Published: September 11 2008 23:30 | Last updated: September 11 2008 23:30

Democratic jitters about the US presidential race have spread to Capitol Hill, where some members of Congress are worried that Barack Obama’s faltering campaign could hurt their chances of re-election.

Party leaders have been hoping to strengthen Democratic control of the House and Senate in November, but John McCain’s jump in the polls has stoked fears of a Republican resurgence.

A Democratic fundraiser for Congressional candidates said some planned to distance themselves from Mr Obama and not attack Mr McCain. :lol

“If people are voting for McCain it could help Republicans all the way down the ticket, even in a year when the Democrats should be sweeping all before us,” said the fundraiser, a former Hillary Clinton supporter.

“There is a growing sense of doom among Democrats I have spoken to . . . People are going crazy, telling the campaign ‘you’ve got to do something’.”

Concern was greatest among first-term representatives who won seats in traditionally Republican districts in the landslide of 2006. “Several of them face a real fight to hold on to those seats,” the fundraiser said.

Tony Podesta, a senior Democratic lobbyist, said members of Congress were “a little nervous” after Mr McCain shook up the race with his choice of Sarah Palin as running mate and intensified attacks on Mr Obama.

“Republicans have been on the offensive for the past two weeks . . . You don’t win elections on the defensive.”

The campaign manager for a first-term Democratic congressman from a blue-collar district in the north-east rejected suggestions that Mr Obama had become a liability. He said his candidate would reach out to Republicans and avoid attacks on Mr McCain.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2008

Wild Cobra
09-11-2008, 09:01 PM
That's what happens when you use affirmative action and pick a candidate for his minority status rather than his experience.

Hillary would have a fighting chance. Obama is way over his head.

JohnnyMarzetti
09-12-2008, 03:29 PM
That's what happens when you use affirmative action and pick a candidate for his minority status rather than his experience.

Hillary would have a fighting chance. Obama is way over his head.

Palin is in way over her head as well and she proved it last night.

http://www.bartcop.com/mccain-liar.jpg

Mr. Peabody
09-12-2008, 03:42 PM

This is Wikipedia's, not mine -

Dramatic (or tragic) irony is a disparity of expression and awareness: when words and actions possess a significance that the listener or audience understands, but the speaker or character does not.

Findog
09-12-2008, 03:44 PM
The premature celebrating is getting comical.

09-12-2008, 03:45 PM
For real. I bet Palin is studying like a mother right now.

clambake
09-12-2008, 03:46 PM
tony podesta is one of those butt hurt clinton hangovers.

101A
09-12-2008, 03:52 PM
The premature celebrating is getting comical.

It's not premature; Conservatives like myself are just astounded to even be in the race at this point. There is an incumbent Republican president with, what 23% approval ratings; we are in a war that a year and a half ago was more unpopular than Vietnam EVER was, and our team lost in a landslide less than two years ago. To EVEN have a shot at keeping the far left out this November - and potentially (hoever remote the chance might be) regaining the house; is more than I could have hoped for!

It's not celebrating; it's almost giddiness. Believe me, 4 months ago I would have been satisfied with simply holding onto at least 41 Senators!

I understand there's a good chance all of the momentum swings back to where, by all accounts, it OUGHT to be, but there is only a little over 7 weeks to go, and I like "our" chances in the debates.

We'll see.

Findog
09-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Giddy to have gotten a statistical dead heat with a convention bounce AND the media spectacle of taking a political unknown? If McCain hadn't gotten a bounce, he'd be screwed.

This race was always going to be close. Obama has to pick up 11 more EVs, McCain has to hold the line in OH, VA, FLA, NM, NEV and COL. That's what this thing comes down to.

101A
09-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Giddy to have gotten a statistical dead heat ...

Yes.

fyatuk
09-12-2008, 04:09 PM
This is Wikipedia's, not mine -

LOL! good one!

clambake
09-12-2008, 04:13 PM
nobody finds it funny that this thread maker uses the opinion of someone that expected huge rewards from a hillary clinton presidency?

Oh, Gee!!
09-12-2008, 04:32 PM
In other news, the world keeps spinning:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/12/car-bomb-kills-32-north-o_n_126036.html

Mr. Peabody
09-12-2008, 04:39 PM
In other news, the world keeps spinning:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/12/car-bomb-kills-32-north-o_n_126036.html

Don't those guys know that we've prevailed in Iraq? It was God's will. Our God. Not theirs.

Extra Stout
09-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I hope Democrats don't figure out that Obama's slide has very little to do with anything Obama might be doing, and very much to do with their own nationwide contest to determine which liberal media member can be the biggest elitist condescending douchebag regarding the Republican VP nominee. Simply shutting up would end the slide, but admitting error might harm their self-esteem, so I deem it unlikely.

Gino
09-12-2008, 05:04 PM
It's not premature; Conservatives like myself are just astounded to even be in the race at this point. There is an incumbent Republican president with, what 23% approval ratings; we are in a war that a year and a half ago was more unpopular than Vietnam EVER was, and our team lost in a landslide less than two years ago. To EVEN have a shot at keeping the far left out this November - and potentially (hoever remote the chance might be) regaining the house; is more than I could have hoped for!

It's not celebrating; it's almost giddiness. Believe me, 4 months ago I would have been satisfied with simply holding onto at least 41 Senators!

I understand there's a good chance all of the momentum swings back to where, by all accounts, it OUGHT to be, but there is only a little over 7 weeks to go, and I like "our" chances in the debates.

We'll see.

All true. Its like when a foreign team's fans get fired up that they're in a close game with the United States.

If Obama blows this, it will be a huge upset. Obama has all the money, the press, the charisma, the head start and yet McCain is holding his own.

Pretty amazing.