PDA

View Full Version : Silver Stars lock up #1 seed, best regular-season record

CubanMustGo
09-12-2008, 09:14 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Silver_Stars_lock_up_top_seed_with_late_rally.html

They were out-rebounded decisively in the first half, spent too much time “talking to the referees” about calls and no-calls, and struggled during stretches to find an offensive rhythm. (Hmm, sounds like another SA basketball team)

To the Silver Stars, their game Thursday against Connecticut served as the perfect primer for what the playoffs are about — overcoming nights when things aren't always going well.

If that truly is the case, then the Silver Stars have to like what might be in store for their future.

Sophia Young, Ann Wauters and Erin Buescher kept their team afloat during crucial times, and Becky Hammon delivered two key plays late as the Silver Stars rallied past Connecticut 78-74 before 6,791 fans at the AT&T Center.

With the victory, the Silver Stars (23-10) clinched the WNBA's best record, the No. 1 overall seed and home court throughout the playoffs.

“Home court is something you play to,” Silver Stars coach Dan Hughes said after his squad completed a 14-0 mark against the Eastern Conference this season. “Statistically, it has clearly been born-out that it matters.

“More than that, you just want to be playing good basketball. I think the fact that you're able to close the season playing good basketball means even more than home court.”

During stretches on Thursday, the Silver Stars didn't play their best. They scored nine points in the third quarter — their second-worst quarter this year — making 3 of 14 shots. They trailed 57-52 going into the fourth quarter.

But when it mattered, the Silver Stars came up big, closing the game on an 11-4 run in the final 2½ minutes, turning a 70-67 deficit into a victory.

Hammon scored five points in the final 1:17, including a two-handed scoop shot with 5.5 seconds left as the Silver Stars defeated Connecticut (20-13) for the second time in five days.

“The second half showed that we not only have a lot of dangerous scorers on this team, but also a lot of unselfish players,” said Hammon, who along with Wauters tallied 17 points. “That leads to a lot of good looks and a lot of quality shots. We can get a big shot from anyone.”

On this occasion, Young came up with the majority of the big shots. She scored 10 of her game-high 24 points in the fourth quarter, including back-to-back three-point plays in 42 seconds to put the Silver Stars ahead 67-66 with 3:46 to play.

“I just tried to step it up a little bit and just play a little bit more aggressive,” Young said. “We knew what we were playing for tonight. Even when Connecticut made their run, we just knew we needed to keep our composure.”

They did. The Sun took their final lead at 72-71 on Kerri Gardin's layup with 1:46 to play, but Hammon hit a 3-pointer to put the Silver Stars ahead 74-72.

Buescher, who had 11 points, made a layup with 34.1 seconds, extending her team's advantage to 76-72. Connecticut, which played without star Lindsay Whalen because of an ankle injury, closed within 76-74 on Jamie Carey's layup, but Hammon secured the victory, driving around three defenders for a layup with 5.5 seconds left.

baseline bum
09-12-2008, 10:40 AM
* sound of crickets chirping *

Johnny_Blaze_47
09-12-2008, 10:44 AM
There used to be a blog that covered women's basketball.

JamStone
09-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Spurs, I get. Texas. Cowboys.

Aren't "silver stars" like ninja weapons?

rAm
09-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Remember, this is a forum about BASKETBALL.

angel_luv
09-12-2008, 11:23 AM
:clap Awesome!

Go Stars! :)

Many PackYao
09-12-2008, 11:25 AM
All I can say is..... Becky Hammon:drool:

lebomb
09-12-2008, 01:52 PM
Congrats SilverStars!!!!! Bring SA another championship!!!!

Brutalis
09-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Why do WNBA teams have such silly mascots? You think these girls really like the name Silver Stars and such?

koriwhat
09-12-2008, 05:25 PM
blah ymca youth basketball co-op. i fuckin' hate the wnba!

T Park
09-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Go stars. Hang another banner in the ATT.

Biggems
09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
and even better is Houston (3-0 vs Stars) and Minnesota (3-1 vs Stars) both missed the playoffs. Unfortunately, Los Angeles (2-2 vs Stars) did make the playoffs. 8 of their 10 losses were to these 3 teams.

timtonymanu
09-12-2008, 09:01 PM
dont care about wnba. but its good to know silver stars are playing way better than they did in past seasons.

SenorSpur
09-13-2008, 01:48 AM
I have to admit, I haven't cared much for the WNBA. But I started paying attention to the Silver Stars last season. I guess Becky had something to do with it - but that's beside the point. Now that they're having their most successful season to date, I hope they bring it home. It would be awesome to have another championship banner up in the rafters.

Flight3107
09-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Becky Hammon is on the team? Then I wish nothing but the worst for that team.

Mister Sinister
09-13-2008, 01:02 PM
w00t.

T Park
09-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Well they took on the Spurs colors of black and silver I guess calling them stars was better than the Lady Spurs.

Stars was their name in utah before they moved.

Spurminator
09-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Go Spurfettes!

Solid D
09-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Becky Hammon is on the team? Then I wish nothing but the worst for that team.

Don't be a hater for Becky Hammon. She plays in Russia during the European season (WNBA off-season) and has for several years. She really wanted to play for Team USA but they wouldn't invite her to the tryouts 2 years ago. She even put her hand over her heart on the medal stand during the playing of the Star Spangled Banner for Team USA's gold, while she was on the stand at the same time getting the Bronze.

I was okay with it.

Biggems
09-13-2008, 06:47 PM
It would be Spurettes....but I get what u were trying to do.....

I didnt follow them at first cause i didnt know any of the players and they were brutal to watch...in fact the league was brutal to watch. However, the league has done some things to improve the quality of the product, such as implementing the 24 second clock. It has sped up the game and the scoring around the league. In fact, the WNBA plays 8 less minutes a game, and they are right there scoring wise with many of the Eastern Conference teams of the NBA through 40 minutes.

I have followed their drafts and roster moves the last few seasons. Hughes is a very good coach (horrible commentator though, hate when he calls Spurs games). We have a nice nucleus on the team. I just wish Crossley was healthy. She is deadly from beyond the arc. The Stars are like the Spurs in that they are one of the elite defensive teams in the league. They have a smothering defense that can keep opponents struggling for long stretches of games. In fact, that is how the beat Connecticut in the 2 games they played in the last 10 days or so.

I am looking forward to the postseason. It would be awesome if we could get that title and hang it up next to the 4 the Spurs have. It would be a very nice year for SA sports. The Spurs made the WCF. The Rampage went real far in the playoffs. The Missions won the Texas League. Stars bring home the WNBA title. So our ladies have to get it done....take care of business for the next month.

GO STARS GO

Sissiborgo
09-13-2008, 07:49 PM
They have been impressive this season and that shows us that the "spurs" are getting bigger in the WNBA...:toast

Biggems
09-13-2008, 09:16 PM
we closed out the regular season tonight with a victory. Becky got the night off. 24-10...not a bad record. They lost about 5-6 games they could have and should have won, but had breakdowns late.

Kriz-Maxima
09-13-2008, 09:37 PM
San Antonio and Detroit for the finals match up!

Biggems
09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
San Antonio and Detroit for the finals match up!

I wonder if Cheryl flaunts her jewelry in front of her dad:lol:lol:lol