PDA

View Full Version : Get ready for $5-$6 gasoline and shortages

CosmicCowboy
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
They are projecting that the storm surge is gonna top the Port Arthur seawall by SIX FEET with 40-50' waves on top of that...that town is loaded with gasoline refineries...plus this hurricane is going right through several more in the Houston ship channel area...

T Park
09-12-2008, 12:14 PM
if the last hurricane is any indication then i expect gas to drop another buck in a week

CosmicCowboy
09-12-2008, 12:35 PM
if the last hurricane is any indication then i expect gas to drop another buck in a week

apples vs. oranges.

A lot of refineries are gonna be closed for weeks if not months.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-12-2008, 12:36 PM

And you would be incredibly wrong.

T Park
09-12-2008, 01:00 PM
And you would be incredibly wrong.

I could be incredibly kidding.

God unclench your assholes for 5 seconds

ashbeeigh
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
CNN via the AP just said oil dropped below $100. Hmmm...

TDMVPDPOY
09-12-2008, 01:14 PM
dude its not like america is goin to export any of there reserves, prices will fall...

Extra Stout
09-12-2008, 01:18 PM
They are projecting that the storm surge is gonna top the Port Arthur seawall by SIX FEET with 40-50' waves on top of that...that town is loaded with gasoline refineries...plus this hurricane is going right through several more in the Houston ship channel area...
Most of these refineries can handle the enormous storm surges. The only caveat is whether their control system servers are high enough.

CosmicCowboy
09-12-2008, 01:20 PM
dude its not like america is goin to export any of there reserves, prices will fall...

What part of "Oil has to be refined into gasoline before you can put it in your car and the refineries are getting trashed in this hurricane" do you dumb fucks not get?

remingtonbo2001
09-12-2008, 02:12 PM
Gasp.

The world will still revolve even if gasoline is $10/gallon.

Das Texan
09-12-2008, 02:15 PM

you are a fucking idiot.

Dex
09-12-2008, 02:15 PM

Looks like it indeed did!

I have an oil widget I monitor pretty regularly. At it's worst, oil was up to about $155 a barrel. I've been watching it steadily drop over the past couple weeks, waiting for it to dip below $100 again.

Looks like it did it either earlier this afternoon. It's currently riding at $100.20 per barrel, but hopefully if trends continue, it will get back into double digits.

We'll see how Ike affects all of this, I guess.

Das Texan
09-12-2008, 02:16 PM

good thing it means dick when you are talking about actual gasoline production.

Dex
09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
good thing it means dick when you are talking about actual gasoline production.

Is that why gasoline prices plummeted at the exact same time the oil prices did?

Das Texan
09-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Is that why gasoline prices plummeted at the exact same time the oil prices did?

well i just mean in relation to ike.

CubanMustGo
09-12-2008, 02:46 PM

If I remember correctly, gas prices only came down about 15% as oil came down 30%.

That said, this situation is simple supply and demand.

Oil is going down now because the demand for oil is probably going down in the short term. The refineries that are shut down this weekend won't be able to refine jack for a while. Other refineries in the US run pretty close to 100% so they won't be able to take up the slack.

Gas is going up because the supply of gas will be constrained when the refineries shut down while the demand remains relatively constant. And of course some greedy SOBs take advantage of the situation, raising prices before their costs go up a penny.

Dex
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
If I remember correctly, gas prices only came down about 15% as oil came down 30%.

That said, this situation is simple supply and demand.

Oil is going down now because the demand for oil is probably going down in the short term. The refineries that are shut down this weekend won't be able to refine jack for a while. Other refineries in the US run pretty close to 100% so they won't be able to take up the slack.

Gas is going up because the supply of gas will be constrained when the refineries shut down while the demand remains relatively constant. And of course some greedy SOBs take advantage of the situation, raising prices before their costs go up a penny.

Yeah, can't argue with most of this. Considering the price per barrel has dropped by nearly 33% in the last 2 months, we should NOT still be paying fucking $3.50-$3.75 at the gas pump. But that's corporate and conglomerate economics in action.

$101.18! We're boomed! :(

tlongII
09-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Cowboy is wrong. Gas prices will increase, but not at the magnitude he is suggesting. OPEC is trying to keep their price per barrel down in the hope of getting a liberal elected as our next prez. This will counteract the refinery damage being done by Ike.

CubanMustGo
09-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Cowboy is wrong. Gas prices will increase, but not at the magnitude he is suggesting. OPEC is trying to keep their price per barrel down in the hope of getting a liberal elected as our next prez. This will counteract the refinery damage being done by Ike.

If there aren't refineries to turn the oil into gas, the price of crude is irrelevant. C'mon, Tlong, leave the tired political BS on the politics board.

CosmicCowboy
09-12-2008, 03:21 PM
25% of the entire US refining capacity is directly in Ike's path. In a normal hurricane the refineries shut down and have a small "storm" crew ride out the storm to monitor things. Thats not what they are doing this time. They are evacuating EVERYBODY and just locking the gates and leaving. They obviously expect it to get VERY bad...

CavsSuperFan
09-12-2008, 03:25 PM
What does it all mean? Should I buy a new ¾ Suburban this weekend or put the money in Exxon Mobil Corp & Conoco Phillips stocks?

Sunshine
09-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Gas went up .20 a gallon since yesterday at the Citco close to the house.

T Park
09-12-2008, 10:00 PM
you are a fucking idiot.

WHAT PART OF I WAS KIDDING DO YOU NOT GET YOU FUCKING IDIOT

T Park
09-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Yeah, can't argue with most of this. Considering the price per barrel has dropped by nearly 33% in the last 2 months, we should NOT still be paying fucking $3.50-$3.75 at the gas pump. But that's corporate and conglomerate economics in action.

$101.18! We're boomed! :(

Its called supply and demand.

Ask Cuba how their economic system works out.

Dex
09-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Always gotta take the commies' side.

T Park
09-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Always gotta take the commies' side.

Yeah its a failsafe economic solution to anything.

Great side to take there pal.

Dex
09-12-2008, 10:19 PM
:lol

I really don't choose sides. I just take what they'll pay me and pay what they ask for.

America, that is. Not the commies.

I'm not being paid off by communists, I swear.

/Patriot Act moment

Wild Cobra
09-12-2008, 10:29 PM
If there aren't refineries to turn the oil into gas, the price of crude is irrelevant. C'mon, Tlong, leave the tired political BS on the politics board.
Actually, if that occurs, tghe price of crude will drop since there are not enough refineries to buy the stuff for. However, gas prices would skyrocket, at least for the areas served by those refineries. Gas proces could drop in areas severed by refineries not effected as the available oil to them increases!

tlongII
09-16-2008, 02:55 PM
So where are these $5-$6 gas prices?

Dex
09-16-2008, 03:00 PM
$93.04!

ashbeeigh
09-16-2008, 03:09 PM
My stand by gas stations by the office are now at the same price at home. $3.59/gallon. And the one super expensive place, $3.79. Holy cow! I know that isn't too much, but from $3.41 pre storm to that now....oh my!

CosmicCowboy
09-16-2008, 03:09 PM
So where are these $5-$6 gas prices?

The storm surge wasn't as high as expected and pumps/boiler rooms etc. managed not to get flooded in salt water like they would have been with a 25 foot surge. Hopefully as power gets restored and these refineries come back on line we won't have the "wost case" scenario of the major shortages we would have had if they took months to replace equipment and get back on line..

Blake
09-16-2008, 03:15 PM
I can't wait til cars will be able to run on poop