PDA

View Full Version : A radical proposal

Supergirl
09-12-2008, 12:42 PM
What do you think about the idea of dividing the country up? It seems to me that the country is becoming more and more polarized. The usual solution to this over the course of human history is to divide into separate countries. Usually this involves a violent struggle. Since currently no state other than Texas retains the right to secede, it would invariably come to a violent struggle.

I could envision a state called New England (CT, MA, VT, RI, ME) which would be a high tech state their main export would be really really smart people and innovative companies and inventions.

Then there could be state called Southern America (AL, GA, Mississippi, Missouri, S and N Carolina, Virginia, W Virginia, KY and TE). Not sure what their economy would be based on.

Then there's be a Western America (CA, OR, WA, perhaps NM, AZ and CO), and a few states might have to be their own states, like Texas and Florida. .

You get the general idea.

Would you guys support this idea, if the great American experiment came to it?

lebomb
09-12-2008, 01:02 PM
That is the most stupid shit Ive ever heard of................

You are voting for McCain/Palin arent you!!!! :rolleyes

101A
09-12-2008, 01:04 PM
I rest my case. The young SHOULD NOT have the right to vote.

2centsworth
09-12-2008, 01:06 PM
Then there could be state called Southern America (AL, GA, Mississippi, Missouri, S and N Carolina, Virginia, W Virginia, KY and TE). Not sure what their economy would be based on.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

DarrinS
09-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I could envision a state called New England (CT, MA, VT, RI, ME) which would be a high tech state their main export would be really really smart people and innovative companies and inventions.

The only thing invented in Vermont is Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia ice cream.

Extra Stout
09-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I can see why a liberal would want to avert a violent struggle since the other side has all the weapons.

101A
09-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I can see why a liberal would want to avert a violent struggle since the other side has all the weapons.

:lol

"The problem with pacifists throughout history is that the war-mongers keep killing them" - Some Historian I saw on PBS

2centsworth
09-12-2008, 01:20 PM
southern economy would be greasy cheeseburgers, fries and shakes.

RandomGuy
09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Oddly enough this very topic was addressed in my international economics class.

It can be shown that the more democracy and local control there is, the more likely it is for a subunit of a nation to break away.

Yugoslavia was a good example of this.

Quite honestly, I would LOVE for real libertarians to get a section of the country to run their "small government" experiment.

No income taxes, bla bla bla, yadda yadda yadda. No entitlements, no envirowhackos, prison cells for homos, whatever floats yer boats. Set up your utopia and see how it all works out.

I would love to see such a nation after 20 years. I doubt it would be quite the Nirvana that many would seem to think.

101A
09-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Oddly enough this very topic was addressed in my international economics class.

I'm pretty sure everyone who attended college and took enough courses had this come up at some point or another.

It's not real

It's not practical

It's a waste of energy to talk about it anywhere outside of a classroom.

It's also crap like this that makes professors so dangerous - their (voting) students don't realize how "academic" such discussions are in a lot of cases. Hell, much of the time, the professors don't know how academic the exercises are...

johnsmith
09-12-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone who attended college and took enough courses had this come up at some point or another.

It's not real

It's not practical

It's also crap like this that makes professors so dangerous - their (voting) students don't realize how "academic" such discussions are in a lot of cases. Hell, much of the time, the professors don't know how academic the exercises are...

Dude, don't make fun of college, it's all RG has.

Supergirl
09-12-2008, 02:33 PM

It's not real

It's not practical

What makes you think it is so impossible? Just because America has existed as a unified country for 200+ years doesn't mean it's going to exist forever. That's still a relatively young country. Many a country has crumbled before, or divided into smaller countries. We faced a very real possibility of dividing not too long ago, in fact. And just because we have told states that they "can't" secede doesn't mean the states couldn't decide to leave anyway, although this is why it would likely be a violent breakup if it came to that.

fyatuk
09-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Since currently no state other than Texas retains the right to secede, it would invariably come to a violent struggle.

That is incorrect. Texas has the right to split into as many as 5 regions, each of which would automatically be considered for statehood according to the annexation agreement.

It's also possible that the annexation agreement would be considered invalid due to it seceding from the US and being forced back in after the Civil War. Technically Texas has been admitted to the union twice, and the famous favorable agreements were part of the first admission.

RandomGuy
09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Dude, don't make fun of college, it's all RG has.

I love you too.:married:

Mr. Peabody
09-12-2008, 02:54 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about McCain's proposal to use poor children as food for the wealthy.

RandomGuy
09-12-2008, 02:54 PM

It's not real

It's not practical

Not real? Care to tell me what happened when the USSR ceased to be?

Yugoslavia?

It can and does happen.

Nations are not eternal. Things do change.

I also didn't say it was anything more than an academic exercise. It was interesting, and something of a useful framework for thinking about things in a new way.

That's it.

RandomGuy
09-12-2008, 02:56 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about McCain's proposal to use poor children as food for the wealthy.

http://cache.valleywag.com/assets/resources/2007/08/soylent_green.gif

DarkReign
09-12-2008, 03:11 PM
What do you think about the idea of dividing the country up?

Stopped reading.

Dismissed.

You get nothing. Good day, mam.

If I knew you werent a real person with real opinions, this would have been called a troll post.

But alas, you cant even say that as a cop out.

Mr. Peabody
09-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Stopped reading.

Dismissed.

You get nothing. Good day, mam.

If I knew you werent a real person with real opinions, this would have been called a troll post.

But alas, you cant even say that as a cop out.

Nice. Consciously or unconsciously working in the Willy Wonka reference.

101A
09-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Not real? Care to tell me what happened when the USSR ceased to be?

Yugoslavia?

It can and does happen.

Nations are not eternal. Things do change.

I also didn't say it was anything more than an academic exercise. It was interesting, and something of a useful framework for thinking about things in a new way.

That's it.

Sorry, RG, the post wasn't really aimed at you.

DarkReign
09-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Nice. Consciously or unconsciously working in the Willy Wonka reference.

Conscious.

http://www.invisiblebirds.com/rmtimg/gooddaysir.gif

Viva Las Espuelas
09-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Memo Bis Punito Delicatum!!!