PDA

View Full Version : Wishing upon a SuperStar - Bynum, Oden, Yao, Brand, DWade, Manu

Allanon
09-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Don't know if this was posted yet.

Will injured stars be able to shine again?
by Charley Rosen
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8552404/Will-injured-stars-be-able-to-shine-again?

While injuries are rightly deemed to be part of the game, they're certainly not included in any franchise's game plan.

Some injuries are caused by a player's anatomical and/or physiological weaknesses, some are the result of poor medical advice and/or diagnoses, but the vast majority are pure accident.

Whatever the causes, there are several key players who have been or are still in the process of recuperating from incapacitating injuries. Consequently their teams' destinies ride on whether or not these guys can make full recoveries.

Let's take a look at some of these players and make a layman's prognosis.

Yao Ming, C, Houston Rockets (foot)

Over the course of the past three seasons, he's missed more than a season's worth of games (86). The fact that his injuries have included a major fracture and a stress-fracture of his legs is extremely troublesome, especially since his recuperation was curtailed by the necessity of his playing in the Beijing Games. Indeed, it's hard to imagine that:

# the pronounced limp that was so evident during the Olympic tournament was really caused by blisters.

# Rick Adelman will play Yao more than 30 minutes per game.

# he'll be able to avoid another serious injury during the long, arduous NBA season.

Without Yao at the top of his game for the duration, the addition of Ron Artest becomes extraneous — and the Rockets will suffer still another frustrating season.

The odds of Yao's being whole and hearty come the playoffs are 3:1.

Andrew Bynum, C, Los Angeles Lakers (knee)

Is the young man as fully recovered as he claims to be? Will he have the confidence to throw himself into the game, to make strong leaps in a crowd, to execute sharp one-footed cuts? Will the forced layoff impinge or advance his development?

The Lakers surprised most pundits by advancing into the finals without him, but to repeat this achievement (to say nothing of winning a championship) Bynum will have to prove that he's healthy, unafraid and capable of accelerating his interrupted learning curve.

The odds of Bynum's undergoing a full return to glory are 1:2.

Manu Ginobili, SG, San Antonio Spurs (ankle)

Since his effectiveness depends so much on quickness and sudden changes of direction, anything less than a total recovery would be a disaster for him and for the Spurs.

However, given a full return of his quicksilver skills, the forced downtime might turn out to be a blessing. Imagine how energetic he'd be in the stretch run and into the playoffs if his season doesn't begin until the end of the year.

The trick will be for San Antonio to stay somewhat competitive until Ginobili makes his grand re-entry.

The odds of Ginobili's being able to play at the same level as before his surgery are 1:3.

Dwyane Wade, SG, Miami Heat (knee, shoulder)

Based on his play in Beijing, Dwyane Wade is back in "Flash" form.

After suffering through a pain-plagued season-and-a-half, Wade demonstrated in Beijing that he's regained much of his star power. All he needs to do is work on his defensive quickness and re-groove his jumper. With D-Wade up to his old tricks, Miami should be a lock for a playoff spot.

Wade's full recovery is such a sure thing that no odds are posted.

Jermaine O'Neal, C, Toronto Raptors (knee)

He's another guy who's been down with various miseries on a routine basis, missing 122 games in the last four seasons. Perhaps that's why he no longer wants to bang with the other bigs in the low post. If he's determined to play soft, then he'll stay healthy but will forfeit a huge part of his value.

Whichever way O'Neal decides to play, the odds of his staying healthy and becoming a major factor in Toronto's season are 3:1.

Gilbert Arenas, PG, Washington Wizards (knee)

Given the diligence with which Arenas has rehabbed from his most recent injury, there's little question that the Matrix will return as before. However, the fact that his teammates played so (relatively) well without him will be good for everybody concerned — except for Arenas. Even if all of his body parts are fully functional, he'll have to accept a slightly diminished role.

The odds of Arenas's re-establishing himself as Washington's one-and-only go-to guy are 2:1.

Elton Brand, PF, Philadelpia 76ers (Achilles' tendon)

His comeback — if only for eight games — from a torn Achilles was remarkable. Philadelphia's concern is whether playing 35-plus minutes per game over the course of the entire season will diminish his explosiveness. Also, what might be the long-term effects of the surgery on his other leg as well as on his gait.

The odds of Brand's regaining his vertical and lateral quickness are 1:1.

Greg Oden, C, Portland Trail Blazers (knee)

Here's the microfracture scorecard. The winners are Matt Harpring, Zach Randolph, John Stockton and Amare Stoudemire. The losers are Terrell Brandon, Penny Hardaway, Allan Houston, Kerry Kittles, Kenyon Martin, Jamal Mashburn, Chris Webber and Alvin Williams. (Jason Kidd recovered but lost a crucial half step.)

Given that Oden spent too much time in the weight room, that there are several holes in his game, and that there's enormous pressure on the Blazers to accelerate his development, the odds on him becoming a major force in the middle during the upcoming season are only 1:3.

Monta Ellis, PG, Golden State Warriors (ankle)

Due to the mysterious nature and circumstances of his injury (the rumor is that he was in a motorcycle mishap), all bets on his future are off.

bdictjames
09-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Odom looks like he's about to chomp off a hamburger in your sig.

Brutalis
09-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Bynum returning to glory? Tell me, when was he ever there to begin with?

I'd give Manu 1:2 odds.

manufor3
09-12-2008, 05:02 PM

:toast

Dex
09-12-2008, 05:14 PM

No kidding. The dude puts up impressive stats for a quarter of a season, then goes down to an injury which ends up taking months longer than they projected to heal...and people still want to label him as the next coming of Walt.

The likes of Elton Brand, Chris Bosh, Jermaine O'Neal, Dwight Howard, etc...all have had their hot stretches, too...but then they eventually come back down to Earth. Until the guy can prove that he can sustain greatness and make it happen when it matters, I still fail to see what the big deal is.

Allanon
09-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Odom looks like he's about to chomp off a hamburger in your sig.

I thought it was funny cuz it looked like he was rubbin' one out. Maybe I should photoshop in his hand with a burger.

I'm pretty sure if they give Manu 3-5 months off, he'll be the old Manu again and bursting with energy. The important thing would be for the Spurs to remain competitive during his absence. The good thing for the Spurs....their schedule is relatively easy through December.

No kidding. The dude puts up impressive stats for a quarter of a season, then goes down to an injury which ends up taking months longer than they projected to heal...and people still want to label him as the next coming of Walt.

The likes of Elton Brand, Chris Bosh, Jermaine O'Neal, Dwight Howard, etc...all have had their hot stretches, too...but then they eventually come back down to Earth. Until the guy can prove that he can sustain greatness and make it happen when it matters, I still fail to see what the big deal is.

There are just some guys you watch and you know they're going to be very good players before they even play 1 NBA game. Duncan, LeBron, Odom, Oden, DWade, Crymelo, etc. Bynum's that kind of player...the game comes way too easy for him and there are very few"great" centers in the league right now so he's like a man among boys.

He'll dominate almost every night for the simple fact that most NBA centers suck right now. By the end of the season, it will be Yao, Bynum, Oden, DHo, Chris Bosh and nobody else will matter.

manufor3
09-12-2008, 07:52 PM
I thought it was funny cuz it looked like he was rubbin' one out. Maybe I should photoshop in his hand with a burger.

I'm pretty sure if they give Manu 3-5 months off, he'll be the old Manu again and bursting with energy. The important thing would be for the Spurs to remain competitive during his absence. The good thing for the Spurs....their schedule is relatively easy through December.

There are just some guys you watch and you know they're going to be very good players before they even play 1 NBA game. Duncan, LeBron, Odom, Oden, DWade, Crymelo, etc. Bynum's that kind of player...the game comes way too easy for him and there are very few"great" centers in the league right now so he's like a man among boys.

He'll dominate almost every night for the simple fact that most NBA centers suck right now. By the end of the season, it will be Yao, Bynum, Oden, DHo, Chris Bosh and nobody else will matter.

odom :lol

Dex
09-12-2008, 09:14 PM

Yeah, you killed your own argument when you put Odom with the likes of Duncan and Lebron.

Same thing goes for Oden. The dude hasn't played a single NBA second, yet everyone wants to act like he's Shaquille O'Duncan. Yeah, I'm sure the guy will probably be pretty good since he was dominating the college game, but people are definitely jumping the gun when they make these huge assumptions.

If Bynum can stay healthy for an entire season and playoffs, and put up the numbers that he was while he was peaking last season, then I'll concede that he has a chance to be one of those 'great' players.

But I'm not gonna give the guy credit for something he hasn't done yet.

smeagol
09-13-2008, 05:17 AM
What scientific method do they use to come up with these odds?

Ahhh . . . right . . . NONE!

Manufan909
09-13-2008, 07:58 PM
hollinger stats...
:depressed

ShoogarBear
09-13-2008, 08:50 PM

That means you're giving him less of a chance than Rosen.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-13-2008, 08:54 PM
That means you're giving him less of a chance than Rosen.

:lol