PDA

View Full Version : Should the president believe that evolution is a scientific fact?

Supergirl
09-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Does it matter that McSame's VP candidate doesn't believe in evolution?

101A
09-12-2008, 02:37 PM

Stop posting after reading only left wing rags.

Palin's father was a high school science teacher. As governor, she specifically called for evolution, and not creationism to be taught in school.

Supergirl
09-12-2008, 02:39 PM

Palin's father was a high school science teacher. As governor, she specifically called for evolution, and not creationism to be taught in school.

Source?

Mr. Peabody
09-12-2008, 02:42 PM
I would have a problem with a leader who believed that evolution is a scientific fact, because evolution is not a scientific fact. It's a theory.

But, yes, I would prefer if our leaders believed in the theory of evolution.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-12-2008, 02:44 PM
if i'm not mistaken palin wants both to be taught, but yet again. she's the vice presidential candidate.

101A
09-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Source?

FactCheck.org (http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/sliming_palin.html)

No Creationism in Schools

On Aug. 29, the Boston Globe reported that Palin was open to teaching creationism in public schools. That's true. She supports teaching creationism alongside evolution, though she has not actively pursued such a policy as governor.

In an Oct. 25, 2006, debate, when asked about teaching alternatives to evolution, Palin replied:

Palin, Oct. 25, 2006: Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both. And you know, I say this too as the daughter of a science teacher. Growing up with being so privileged and blessed to be given a lot of information on, on both sides of the subject – creationism and evolution. It's been a healthy foundation for me. But don't be afraid of information and let kids debate both sides.
A couple of days later, Palin amended that statement in an interview with the Anchorage Daily News, saying:
Palin, Oct. 2006: I don't think there should be a prohibition against debate if it comes up in class. It doesn't have to be part of the curriculum.
After her election, Palin let the matter drop. The Associated Press reported Sept 3: "Palin's children attend public schools and Palin has made no push to have creationism taught in them. ... It reflects a hands-off attitude toward mixing government and religion by most Alaskans." The article was headlined, "Palin has not pushed creation science as governor (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080903/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_creationism)." It was written by Dan Joling, who reports from Anchorage and has covered Alaska for 30 years.

Oh, Gee!!
09-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Oct. 25, 2006: Teach both

After her election, Palin let the matter drop

pandering?

Viva Las Espuelas
09-12-2008, 02:57 PM
pandering?
no. God's will.

Oh, Gee!!
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
God's will.

cop-out?

Supergirl
09-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh...teaching both implies that so-called "creationism" has any scientific basis whatsoever. It does not. Therefore, it has no place in a science classroom.

Evolution is a scientific fact. The detail are still being discovered - much like most of science. But it is a fact that the earth has been around a long, long time before the Bible ever existed/G-d supposedly created the world, and it is a fact that we evolved slowly from other creatures similar, just as other creatures evolved into more sophisticated creatures.

angel_luv
09-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Yes, it gives me more reason TO vote for him.

Too bad I don't know which report is true.

101A
09-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Uhhhhhhhhh...teaching both implies that so-called "creationism" has any scientific basis whatsoever. It does not. Therefore, it has no place in a science classroom.

Evolution is a scientific fact. The detail are still being discovered - much like most of science. But it is a fact that the earth has been around a long, long time before the Bible ever existed/G-d supposedly created the world, and it is a fact that we evolved slowly from other creatures similar, just as other creatures evolved into more sophisticated creatures.

And you have evidence Palin believes the bible is older than the World where?

Do you think that EVERYBODY that believes in God believes in a "Young" Earth?

I have yet to meet ANY, and I am around many more Evangelical Christians, Jews and Mormons than you, I bet.

Mr. Peabody
09-12-2008, 03:04 PM

It's not a fact. It's a theory. And while it does appear that there is evidence supporting the theory, it's still a theory.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in evolution, but it is not a scientific fact.

101A
09-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Here we go again; we tortured this a couple of days ago.

Gonna reference my wife on this one (has a Ph.D. in Biochemistry); don't want to look up a supporting link.

I asked her just that, and she rolled her eyes: Evolution HAPPENS; it IS fact; Darwin's explanation of HOW it happens is what is theoretical.

DarkReign
09-12-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes, it gives me more reason TO vote for him.

Wait....what?

Care to expound on that?

Do you not believe in Relativity either?

DarkReign
09-12-2008, 03:08 PM
I asked her just that, and she rolled her eyes: Evolution HAPPENS; it IS fact; Darwin's explanation of HOW it happens is what is theoretical.

Excellent explanation. Very concise.

Mr. Peabody
09-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Here we go again; we tortured this a couple of days ago.

Gonna reference my wife on this one (has a Ph.D. in Biochemistry); don't want to look up a supporting link.

Interesting. Learned something today.:toast

Viva Las Espuelas
09-12-2008, 03:12 PM

:wow:wow:wow
hey. too each their own. :toast

SpursFanFirst
09-12-2008, 03:16 PM

wow. just...wow.

fyatuk
09-12-2008, 03:23 PM
I'd have no problem with ID being discussed in school, or with true creationism being discussed provided it was brought up by students, as long as it stuck with the aspects of origin of life and didn't traverse to the more metaphysical religious beliefs associated with ID and creationism.

But evolution should always be discussed in school.